Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: EPS1.0_HELLOFRIEND.MOV

• Start Topic

...One thing the series could have done without -- the (controlled) morphine addiction. It doesn't seem needed.

That was my thought too. If they use it only for artistic effect to further blur reality and illusion, I may be okay with it, but I don't think I want to see a junkie drama with bribery for fixes. Regardless, a "controlled" addiction seems like a slippery slope for the writers and character, just as it would be in real life.
  • Love 3
(edited)

The problem is that the show only has him belittling and fixing women. Belittling women to a point where you control their lives because you think you know better is misogyny, it's not just about pure hatred of women.

It didn't help both women were shown as professionally incompetent and the only other women on screen was the lead male's fuck toy.

Don't forget Darlene—the sharp-tongued hacker who'll obviously befriend Elliot—and his abusive mom.

Angela: You didn't have to stick up for me in there. I know that you were just trying to help. Just don't do it again—even if I'm losing. Let me lose, okay? [Elliot looks confused.] Don't look confused. Just say it.

That's agency. Too bad Elliot didn't understand a single word.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 4

I watched this pilot tonight because I saw a comment about the clinician-client relationship on a psychotherapist subreddit I frequent. As a therapist, I made the decision to delete my Facebook a while ago. This episode cemented my deletion.

Poor clinical boundaries aside, I really enjoyed this pilot and will tune in for another. What I gather so far is that the Christian Slater character is not only Elliot's delusion but he's also representative of his father.

One thing the series could have done without -- the (controlled) morphine addiction. It doesn't seem needed.

As a licensed professional therapist I agree with the above. I make that recommendation to my students all the time. One of the issues I have with comparisons to Fight Club and often get into arguments with students when they use the movie as a basis for an assignment on "multiple personality" (DID) or schizophrenia, is in real life it is NOT a delusion or hallucination if other real people are involved and can verify the occurrence. Mass hallucinations of the exact same event, well in all likelihood they don't happen.  I would have to go back and look at the scenes really closely to see if there are any interactions with anyone else that the viewer knows is real. Delusions are cognitive/thought based belief. "I believe I am the POTUS", "the TV is talking to me", "I believe I can fly". While hallucinations are sensory responses without the sensory experience (e.g., I saw a K-Mart bag float down from the ceiling-a real hallucination from a patient. I smelled the fear and it smelled like the color purple). People in the other thread were making comparisons to Beautiful Mind about John Nash (RIP) and the fact is that visual hallucinations are pretty rare and tend to be of an organic nature (often tumors, or perhaps drugs). In Schizophrenia the most common hallucinations are auditory, however, for TV and the movie, A Beautiful Mind, they took liberties with Nash's actual condition and had these elaborate visual hallucinations, which he really didn't have (if at all) to the magnitude or extent portrayed, which pissed me off. So, I am hoping that with this show, they do not go the lazy and easy way out, with pat stereotypical generalizations about mental illness and mess-up and cross over hallucinations and delusions to further confuse the lay public and help to foster bias and misinformation, but that this is ALL real and no one will believe Elliott because he is odd and has mental health issues (ADHD, Autism, depression, abuse survivor, drug issues, something). Sort of like a modern day boy who cries wolf, but the only reason people won't believe him is because of the pejorative bias towards those that are perceived as different, not the easy way of "it was all a hallucination". 

• Love 1

The fact is that visual hallucinations are pretty rare and tend to be of an organic nature (often tumors, or perhaps drugs). In Schizophrenia the most common hallucinations are auditory; however, for TV and the movie A Beautiful Mind, they took liberties with Nash's actual condition and had these elaborate visual hallucinations, which he really didn't have (if at all) to the magnitude or extent portrayed, which pissed me off.

So, I am hoping that with this show they do not go the lazy and easy way out, with pat stereotypical generalizations about mental illness and mess-up and cross over hallucinations and delusions to further confuse the lay public and help to foster bias and misinformation.

TV and movies are a visual medium. This show has added the element of Elliot breaking the fourth wall as if we, the viewer, are his hallucination. I understand the desire for clinical accuracy, but this is entertainment.

• Love 9

TV and movies are a visual medium. This show has added the element of Elliot breaking the fourth wall as if we, the viewer, are his hallucination. I understand the desire for clinical accuracy, but this is entertainment.

Sure I hear you, TV and movies also include auditory information as well. Personally, I do not feel that we are his hallucination though. I see it as one speaking to themselves, inner dialogue perhaps. When an actor in a stage production breaks the fourth wall in a play, he is often actually talking to the audience. Either way it is a very interesting show, I just really would love it if the writers decide (if they are using some type of mental illness) to just represent it accurately instead of purposely muddying the waters to make the character more mysterious with a bunch of symptoms that are not likely to occur together. When they do not, then it opens doors to confusion among the viewers and also opens the doors to ambiguity as to what is really going on (if that is what they are going for then fine-being mysterious that is). If you are a watcher of Wayward Pines or read the forums, you might understand what I mean because the vast majority of discussion about that show is about how or what the intent is of the show runners and how or why it is either plausible or not (and all the loopholes in that direction), instead of the actual story. MMV

• Love 1

Perhaps the drug addiction is simply a mechanism to help explain irrational behaviour on the part of our protagonist.  As for how long that addiction can be maintained, Gregory House's addiction remained a significant factor in his life (to one degree or another) for eight full seasons.

With regard to the accurate portrayal of Elliot's mental state/condition, TPTB may work hard to maintain realism and accuracy as far as they can.  They seem to be making similar efforts on the technological front, after all.  But I can pretty much guarantee they will depart from reality the instant they think it will further their goals.  Which would be: more viewers; lower costs; higher ratings; greater profits.

• Love 4

Regarding the drug use, I thought of it as shades of Sherlock Holmes, who also had difficulty assimilating into society and was brilliant at solving puzzles.

House, MD was supposed to be a variation of the Holmes story, perhaps the show writers are channeling a bit of Sherlock here as well.

• Love 7

Finally gave it a go after hearing all the hype this past week, and I overall liked it, even though I felt like it took a while to pick up and then I felt like it went on a big too long at the end.  Strange since with most show, it tends to be the middle that drags for me, most of that stuff was what I enjoyed.

Glad to see Gloria Reuben again.  It doesn't matter if Bruce Altman is a mayor (Blue Bloods), a lawyer (Damages), or a CEO (here), he clearly has a type, which is scumbag.  Good for him, I guess.  Not too familiar with Rami Malek, but I thought he was really good, and made me interesting in Elliot, despite being creepy at times.  Really enjoyed the actress playing Angela too.

As for Elliot's views on gender, sure I do think he has a weird attitude towards women that is not good, but I always assumed that is more sexism, while a misogynist is someone who just hates women.  Granted, I'm not saying that is a good thing, but I always considered that someone who is sexist can be change, while misogynists are just going to be jackasses.  So, unless Elliot starts really going off and doing things like say women can't hack or shouldn't be allowed to do certain things, I'm not going to write him off as a misogynist. Still, that is something the show could work on.  Hopefully, Angela addressing this is a step forward.

My biggest issue is probably Christian Slater.  I don't hate him, but I think the problem is he one of those actors where I'll never see as a character. While I already see "Elliot", "Angela", and "Gideon", he's just "Christian Slater" here, and he'll always be that to me. When he's in Robin Hood, he's just "Christian Slater in tights."  When he's in Broken Arrow, he's "Captain Christian Slater trying to stop Evil John Travolta."  At least Archer wisely just has him be Agent Slater...

I'll admit I already dislike Angela's boyfriend simply because his name is Ollie Parker.  Sorry, but that name just sounds like someone who would be obnoxious.  Probably doesn't help that between this seasons of Arrow and Game of Thrones, characters named Ollie have kind of been assholes.

• Love 6

Finally gave it a go after hearing all the hype this past week, and I overall liked it, even though I felt like it took a while to pick up and then I felt like it went on a big too long at the end.  Strange since with most show, it tends to be the middle that drags for me, most of that stuff was what I enjoyed.

Glad to see Gloria Reuben again.  It doesn't matter if Bruce Altman is a mayor (Blue Bloods), a lawyer (Damages), or a CEO (here), he clearly has a type, which is scumbag.  Good for him, I guess.  Not too familiar with Rami Malek, but I thought he was really good, and made me interesting in Elliot, despite being creepy at times.  Really enjoyed the actress playing Angela too.

As for Elliot's views on gender, sure I do think he has a weird attitude towards women that is not good, but I always assumed that is more sexism, while a misogynist is someone who just hates women.  Granted, I'm not saying that is a good thing, but I always considered that someone who is sexist can be change, while misogynists are just going to be jackasses.  So, unless Elliot starts really going off and doing things like say women can't hack or shouldn't be allowed to do certain things, I'm not going to write him off as a misogynist. Still, that is something the show could work on.  Hopefully, Angela addressing this is a step forward.

My biggest issue is probably Christian Slater.  I don't hate him, but I think the problem is he one of those actors where I'll never see as a character. While I already see "Elliot", "Angela", and "Gideon", he's just "Christian Slater" here, and he'll always be that to me. When he's in Robin Hood, he's just "Christian Slater in tights."  When he's in Broken Arrow, he's "Captain Christian Slater trying to stop Evil John Travolta."  At least Archer wisely just has him be Agent Slater...

I'll admit I already dislike Angela's boyfriend simply because his name is Ollie Parker.  Sorry, but that name just sounds like someone who would be obnoxious.  Probably doesn't help that between this seasons of Arrow and Game of Thrones, characters named Ollie have kind of been assholes.

Elliot seems to be overprotective of the women in his life. Due to his social issues, he expresses his concern in the one way he knows how - hacking. He protects them by learning everything about them, so he can protect them in his own way. Judging by the brief glimpse at his childhood, and his little crying session, he obviously has extreme difficulty processing and handling emotions, along with a heaping helping of abuse in his past. He obviously has many layers of protection built up in his mind to prevent his real self from being noticed, but he lets just enough shine through so people he knows aren't extremely concerned (Like, "Let's involuntarily commit him" concerned).

It would be interesting to see him have a full blown decompensatory episode. He'd probably just go catatonic.

Also, I kept referring to Christian Slater's character as "Hobo Christian Slater" in my head.

• Love 9
(edited)

That is a hilarious reaction to Christian Slater @bros402 and @Thuganomics85

The idea that Christian Slater's persona is so powerful that it overwhelms any role he is cast in makes think of "The most interesting man in the world" from those Dos Esquis beer commercials.

I think he would have the same problem if he acted, especially since acoustic guitars and castanets start playing whenever he shows up.

Slater has never bothered me that much, but now I'm afraid I'll be thinking Hobo Christian Slater next episode.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 1

Aww, you guys are making me sad with your reaction to Hobo Christian Slater. 

As Buffy Summers once said, "the only thing I want to do is graduate high school, go to Europe, marry Christian Slater, and die." Even though I'm now a 30-something, I'm still firmly in the Christian Slater fangirl club! 

• Love 10

Aww, you guys are making me sad with your reaction to Hobo Christian Slater. 

As Buffy Summers once said, "the only thing I want to do is graduate high school, go to Europe, marry Christian Slater, and die." Even though I'm now a 30-something, I'm still firmly in the Christian Slater fangirl club! 

Co-sign to  CSFGC!

• Love 1
(edited)

Either way it is a very interesting show, I just really would love it if the writers decide (if they are using some type of mental illness) to just represent it accurately instead of purposely muddying the waters to make the character more mysterious with a bunch of symptoms that are not likely to occur together. When they do not, then it opens doors to confusion among the viewers and also opens the doors to ambiguity as to what is really going on (if that is what they are going for then fine-being mysterious that is).

Captanne upthread called Elliot a Mary Sue, and I'd modify that to say he is a psychological Mary Sue. He is by turns antisocial, schizotypal, and socially anxious.  He hates everyone... but he feels bad about it!  He can't connect with society... but he feels bad about it!  He's dark and controlling and paranoid and off-putting... but doncha just wanna give him a hug?! He's affectively and interpersonally detached... yet a superior judge of character!

I am not making light of actual psychological conditions; I'm poking at the writing.  When I first saw the pilot I was fascinated by Elliot, but the more I've thought about it, the more I'm realising that because of the way he's been constructed almost nothing will be psychologically out-of-character.  More importantly, a character with such a morass and array of symptoms would more likely be barely functional in life.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2

I'm enjoying so far. I love Eliot, the actor is carrying the role really well. There is something sweet about his need to protect. His lack of sociability is perfect for this day and age of being connected through a computer only. I definitely feel a connection with him.

Christian slater, meh, I get him in this role. He played this type of role when I was a teen and I used my commodore 64 to meet people on bbs. My mom used it to hack Hughes Aircraft. My friends were kids who the fbi came in and carted them off with their equipment in the night.

I'm hoping it will continue well. I get The Fight Club comparisons. I get the controlled morphine use.

• Love 3

Late to this party but loving the show - watch the first 3 episodes over the last 3 days. Now I have to wait!

Re: Tara Ariano's comments on Darlene's wardrobe - I kind of think she's "so five years ago" for a reason.  I just haven't decided if she hasn't bought new clothes in this decade because she's fallen so far down the rabbit hole since then, or if that's not actually what she looks like. I'm sure everyone isn't running around saying "evilcorp," we're just hearing it from Elliot's point of view - so I'm doubting the visuals as well.

I like Hobo Christian Slater.

But I don't even remember the character's name. So he is HSC.

I don't think a character name has been mentioned, but I'm going with "Mr. Robot" since it's the name of the series, and HCS is wearing a "Mr. Robot" tech support uniform shirt when he appears on the subway. Because of the overall "Fight Club" vibe I sort of think of him as Tyler Durden anyway . . .

So I'm watching this one, which is great, and "Stitchers," which is not, mostly for the novelty of having lead characters who are clearly on the autism spectrum, but who are not portrayed as nebbishy sidekicks but as heroic, attractive young protagonists. It's enough to bring tears to my eyes.

• Love 2

I just watched this episode and I also said "Hobo Christian Slater" when I saw him. Of course, I know the show won't probably last more than a season because CS' last 2 shows on tv didn't. But no big deal. 

I thought the VO was a little much, but I understand what they were trying to do as that being part of the character and that we're "in his head". I kind of eyerolled with the drug use though. 

One detail I liked is how the passwords were so easy to crack. 

I like the "summer shows" because they're usually more quirky. I'll stick with the season.

I, for one, am thrilled that they shot a scene on the Wonder Wheel! Of course they were sitting in a stationary gondola, because if it was a rolling one it would've been too crazy to film, but it was fun to see the other gondolas moving around them.

• Love 1
(edited)

I really enjoyed it, though the sociopolitical commentary is the sort of puerile nonsense you' d hear from a college freshman as he passes the joint.

I agree.  The heavyhanded slap at capitalism and at President Bush.  Really?!?  Is that the side the writers are on?  Sad that no one wants to backhand our present occupant of the WH considering what a disaster he's been.

I liked the first ep.  I thought Elliot was a strange, but interesting character.

Edited by Jordan27
  • Love 1
(edited)
I loved it. It reminded me of AMC's Rubicon, which means it probably won't last long.

I am still pissed about Rubicon.

And I am long, long past a college freshman age and have recently grown up enough to realize that the sociopolitical commentary in this show is spot on.  It has to be if there's to a be a world for my great-great grandchildren to live in.

Edited by areca
  • Love 5

So I'm watching this one, which is great, and "Stitchers," which is not, mostly for the novelty of having lead characters who are clearly on the autism spectrum, but who are not portrayed as nebbishy sidekicks but as heroic, attractive young protagonists. It's enough to bring tears to my eyes.

Is Elliot on the autism spectrum? His therapist asked if he's still seeing the men in black, and he said they're gone because of the meds she gave him. But he saw men in black on the subway. Did we ever see him taking prescription meds? (Not the Suboxone he buys on the street.)

She also said, "You're not yelling like before, which is good. But I can tell you're still holding on to it, and we need to work on your anger issues." And "You're hiding again, Elliot. When you hide, your delusions come back. It's a slippery slope."

I dvr'd the 5 episode marathon, so I'm behind.

I always notice the actor who plays Elliot when I see him in other stuff (I'll google him when I'm caught up) because I think he is so handsome and distinct looking.  He can really look so stoned sometimes, and people always ask me if I'm high, so maybe I see my own qualities in him so I think he's more attractive, haha.  Sometimes the bug eyes can definitely be strange but I think he's hot.

I'd rather they just call the company Evil Corp for real and the show be set in a hyper-reality than have the whole delusions/what is real what is not stuff, but I always hate that fake out.  It's so cliched.

And I wish a straight guy and a girl could just be best friends on a show.

Anyways, I'm happy I have each episode thread to read after I watch an ep.

• Love 2

Is Elliot on the autism spectrum? His therapist asked if he's still seeing the men in black, and he said they're gone because of the meds she gave him. But he saw men in black on the subway. Did we ever see him taking prescription meds? (Not the Suboxone he buys on the street.)

She also said, "You're not yelling like before, which is good. But I can tell you're still holding on to it, and we need to work on your anger issues." And "You're hiding again, Elliot. When you hide, your delusions come back. It's a slippery slope."

He's not autistic. He seems more paranoid schizophrenic, with a dash of avoidant personality disorder.

• Love 3

I am behind the times and just started watching today.

This actually reminds me the most of Dexter. Elliot is basically like a cyber-Dexter, right down to the CDs he keeps of his people he has screwed over with this vigilante cyberspying.

There is also an element as pointed out of Fight CLub and Homeland. It's like all three shows mixed into one

I enjoy it so far, interested to see where this goes.

• Love 2

I always notice the actor who plays Elliot when I see him in other stuff (I'll google him when I'm caught up) because I think he is so handsome and distinct looking.  He can really look so stoned sometimes, and people always ask me if I'm high, so maybe I see my own qualities in him so I think he's more attractive, haha.  Sometimes the bug eyes can definitely be strange but I think he's hot.

Read all three pages and was so shocked that this important issue had not yet been touched in.  How beautiful Rami Malek is.  Yes...... Love his face

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

I really liked Rami Malek's character in The Pacific, so, I decided to check this out.

I liked it. I'm interested to see where the show goes from here.

Hey cool.  You are not alone.  I just started binge watching it 2+ weeks ago and caught up in time for last week's new episode.  I think there is an advantage to binge watching it as it keeps things more cohesive in your mind.  Happy viewing and look forward to seeing your posts here.