Type keyword(s) to search

The Awards and Nominations Thread

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 7/14/2016 at 4:46 PM, theschnauzers said:

Outlander and other shows will have a better chance of noms next year. As I understand it, GoT will not have any episodes aired in the eligibility period for next year's Emmys due to the fewer number of episdoes, the shift in filming period for the next season, and thus the later airing period.

But I am disappointed for the lack of writing and acting noms for Cait and Sam, in particular, since some of their best work from late season 1 and early season 2 were in the eligibility period this time. And the bit with Bear makes little sense as well.

HBO confirmed this morning that Game of Thrones will not return for its 7-episode 7th season until Summer 2017, and this will not be eligible for the Emmys in 2017. So this does open the door for Outlander to go after the major Emmy categories with an outstanding 3rd season/book and they have a lot to work with from Voyager to make it happen.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

HBO confirmed this morning that Game of Thrones will not return for its 7-episode 7th season until Summer 2017, and this will not be eligible for the Emmys in 2017. So this does open the door for Outlander to go after the major Emmy categories with an outstanding 3rd season/book and they have a lot to work with from Voyager to make it happen.

I think it definitely benefits Outlander in regard to categories like Best Show, but I don't see how Game of Thrones being out of the running would help Sam or Cait snag a nomination because my understanding is Game of Thrones actors and actresses always submit in the supporting categories. So, their absence might help the rest of the Outlander cast get nominated, but I imagine the acting categories for leads will be just as difficult to land a nomination for as they were this year. 

Maril Davis tweeted this the following. Don't know what it is but it sounds nice. 

So excited to hear #Outlander has been nominated for "Best International Show" for the @TVChoice awards! Thanks to the fans! @AmazonVideoUK

Well, it's that time of year again -- the nomination process for the People's Choice Awards is underway.  I'm still a bit miffed at the PCA's since they didn't even bother to broadcast any of the SciFi/Fantasy categories that team Outlander was nominated in last year but THIS year Outlander is in the running for the main award -- the big enchilada -- Favorite TV Show!  Well okay.  I'll throw few dozen votes at that.  And as long as I'm in the neighborhood I think I'll write in Sam Heughan for Favorite Dramatic TV Actor and Caitriona Balfe for Favorite Dramatic TV Actress before moving on to vote for the show, Sam and Cait in the SciFi/Fantasy categories.

Join me, won't you?

http://vote.peopleschoice.com/#!/home/all/17/2

Edited by WatchrTina

The People's Choice Awards nominations have been announced, and Outlander has been nominated in four categories:

Favorite TV Show
The Big Bang Theory
Grey’s Anatomy
Outlander
Stranger Things
The Walking Dead

Favorite Premium Sci-Fi/Fantasy Series
Game of Thrones
Marvel’s Luke Cage
Outlander
Stranger Things
Westworld

Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor
Andrew Lincoln
Ian Somerhalder
Jensen Ackles
Sam Heughan
Tyler Posey

Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress
Caitriona Balfe
Emilia Clarke
Jennifer Morrison
Lauren Cohan
Millie Bobby Brown

• Love 2

I don't know if Westworld has such a following (I'm watching and it's not grabbing me like other HBO shows have done) but yeah, Stranger Things is very popular.  I found out about it because Sam tweeted praising it.  It's got some grass-roots popularity going for it and could give us a run for our money but I don't care -- I'm just so proud that my favorite show was nominated for the big enchilada of the People's Choice awards:  "Favorite TV Show."  That's HUGE.  That's a moral victory already.

ETA:  Screw the moral victory -- let's WIN.  Links are below.

Edited by WatchrTina

Well I'm delighted for Caitriona and quite frankly she deserved it.  Season 1 was Sam's season and I'm sorry he wasn't recognized but it was Cait who knocked it out of the park in season 2 (IMHO).

I am, however, pretty pissed off about the show not getting a nomination.  I like the other nominated shows (except for "This Is Us" which I have not seen) but Outlander is MUCH better than Westworld.  I love HBO.  I will sing the praises of Game of Thrones and Deadwood and many other shows on that channel 'til the cows come home.  But Westworld?  Not so much.  

Oh well.  Yay Caitriona!  And now I will go vent my frustration by voting repeatedly in the People's Choice awards for:

• Favorite TV Show
  • Favorite Premium Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Series
  • Favorite SciFi/Fantasy TV Actor (Sam)
  • Favorite SciFi/Fantasy TV Actress (Cait)

http://vote.peopleschoice.com/#!/home/all/17/2

Edited by WatchrTina

I am so happy Catriona got her nod, and bummed that the show and Sam didn't.  I hope they all realize how appreciated they are regardless.

WatchrTina, if you get a chance, give This is Us a try.  I finally did a month ago, and it has blown my socks off.  So glad I did.  Sad but I almost find it amazing that it is on a network it's so good!

• Love 2

I agree about Westworld and with morgan about This is Us.  And I've done my part voting for the PCAs!

No mention here of the Critics' Choice Award for most binge-worthy show going to Outlander.  I tried to vote for it but the page wouldn't load properly.

Edited by Wouldofshouldof

I will never understand the nomination process for these awards but I will say one thing I love about the SAG awards -- it's the only award show that has a category for "Best Stunt Ensemble."  That's an overlooked category there.  I have to pull for Game of Thrones because the Battle of the Bastards was freaking amazing.

That being said, the SAG gave two best actress nominations to "Stranger Things" (Millie Bobby Brown and Winona Ryder).  Really?  Over Caitriona?  I'll never understand that.  And I very much enjoyed "Stranger Things."

Maril Davis was asked about the SAG Awards, and apparently, the show wasn't eligible for the awards.

Maril Davis Verified account ‏@TallShipProds
.@AnitaMHarmon While many of our actors ARE members of SAG (&thus eligible 2b nominated) our show is non-SAG. We don't work under SAG rules

Edited by Nidratime

When the Golden Globe for best actress in a TV drama was announced and they said Claire . . . my heart skipped a beat because I thought they were announcing our girl.  But alas, that's her characters's name, not her real name, and Claire Foy (of "The Crown") took home the award.  I really really enjoyed "The Crown" but I think Caitriona in season 2 is much more deserving of the award.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2
On 12/15/2016 at 2:24 PM, Nidratime said:

Maril Davis was asked about the SAG Awards, and apparently, the show wasn't eligible for the awards.

Maybe that's why Sam didn't get a nod. He isn't a member of SAG. Can anyone find this out for us?

Um, guys?  I didn't bother to watch the People's Choice Awards because, as award shows go, it generally sucks and last year they didn't televise the categories that Outlander was nominated in.  But I just checked the list of winners on their website and . . . is this right?  Did Outlander win in every category where it was nominated?  Did we win:

• Favorite Premium Sci-Fi/Fantasy series (Outlander)
  • Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actor (Sam Heughan)
  • Favorite Sci-F/Fantasy TV Actress (Caitriona Balfe) and
  • FAVORITE TV SHOW!!!!!?

Is this right?  Did anyone watch the show?  Who picked up the big award?

Edited by WatchrTina

Wow - what was that trainwreck?  I watched the entire 2 hours and they didn't even air favorite movie, let alone our gang!

Outlander - Favorite TV show

Outlander - Favorite premuim sci fi/fantasy series

Sam Heughan - Favorite premuim sci fi/fantasy actor

Caitriona Balfe - Favorite premuim sci fi/fantasy actress

Where is the love?!?!!

This list, published by Variety, indicates which awards were televised (with WINNER in bold immediately under the category).  Boo!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-choice-awards-winners-updated-list-010415891.html

Edited by Wouldofshouldof
Watchr, they didn't air any of Outlander's awards!

I have a feeling they don't bother to announce an award on the air -- even big awards like Favorite TV Show -- unless the recipient shows up to accept it.  Our gang is hard at work in Scotland so I'm betting no one was available to attend.  As a result -- no on-air love.  But yay us!   We Outlander fans are legion (and we know how to click a mouse.)

ETA:  Here's a thank-you tweet/video for our all efforts from Sam & Caitriona

https://twitter.com/Outlander_STARZ/status/821934485943951360

Edited by WatchrTina
9 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Alas, Outlander did not receive any Emmy nominations.

And now I'm bummed I cancelled my Hulu subscription because "The Handmaid's Tale" starring Elizabeth Moss cleaned up.

http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/69th-nominations-key-categories-v1.pdf

http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/Downloads/69th-nominations-program-v1.pdf

Did it fall outside the time parameters? Game of Thrones wasn't nominated either.

Other than the Tonys, I'm skeptical of the academy awards anyway. I think politics or popularity are a big part of nominees and winners, not necessarily quality. It varies though (see "Moonlight" over "La La Land").

Yes, both Outlander and Game of Thrones were ineligible this go around because they didn't air early enough to be considered. I think the cut off was sometime in May. So both of their seasons fall into next year's consideration time.

I'm delighted for her but surprised the show was not also nominated for best drama.

I think the problem is, when the show first appeared on the scene, even though it was very good, it was sold and even derided by some as "for the ladies" and related to bodice rippers. So, it got very patronizing press initially which hurt it from getting a fair, critical assessment from "serious" (meaning, male reviewers). Now, no matter how wonderful it is or how pro-woman power or female gaze it might be -- which is the movement of the moment -- I fear its day has passed.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nomination:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama: Caitriona Balfe

While I'm happy for her, I find it to be FUCKING BULLSHIT that Sam wasn't nominated for Best Actor. His performance this season was just mind blowing. And if this for performance from last season, my point still stands. He did an amazing job with his PTSD  and just everything else.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I'm guessing that there was stiffer competition from the point of the view of whoever does the GG nominations.  But yeah, as good at Cait is, Sam killed it this season. 

Best performance by an Actor in a TV Series - Drama

Sterling K. Brown, "This is Us"

Freddie Highmore, "The Good Doctor"

Bob Odenkirk, "Better Call Saul"

Liev Schreiber, "Ray Donovan"

Jason Bateman, "Ozark"

I don't watch any of these other shows except "This Is Us" and sure, Sterling K. Brown is excellent.  But more excellent than Sam was this season?  Hmm... I don't know.  (Sidenote:  Jason Bateman in a serious, dramatic role?  I might have to check this one out.)

1 minute ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Best performance by an Actor in a TV Series - Drama

Sterling K. Brown, "This is Us"

Freddie Highmore, "The Good Doctor"

Bob Odenkirk, "Better Call Saul"

Liev Schreiber, "Ray Donovan"

Jason Bateman, "Ozark"

I don't watch any of these other shows except "This Is Us" and sure, Sterling K. Brown is excellent.  But more excellent than Sam was this season?  Hmm... I don't know.  (Sidenote:  Jason Bateman in a serious, dramatic role?  I might have to check this one out.)

I watched a little bit of Ozark but it's too dark so I stopped watching.  And by "dark" I mean literally - something about the lighting and lack of color saturation drove me nuts.  I haven't seen any of the rest of those shows so I can't give an informed opinion.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, toolazy said:

I watched a little bit of Ozark but it's too dark so I stopped watching.  And by "dark" I mean literally - something about the lighting and lack of color saturation drove me nuts.  I haven't seen any of the rest of those shows so I can't give an informed opinion.  

I just read the Wikipedia entry.  It looks like it maybe took the place of Bloodline for Netflix.  Bloodline was good, and Kyle Chandler was excellent, so maybe I'll check it out.

On 12/11/2017 at 2:25 PM, toolazy said:

My husband has been binging on Ozark, but the lighting and such is so gloomy. It hurts my eyes. 

It's lame that Sam didn't get a nom.

I wish our cast and crew would get more cred, but I think it's all about industry politics. Most of the movies nominated are ones I've never heard of and that seems the trend nowadays. For example, action movies and comedies rarely get nominated for Academy Awards even if they are amazing. It's always depressing indie movies or the same ol' Woody Allen creeper flick. With TV shows, I think it's more about the hipster factor, if that makes sense (I say this for lack of a better way to express it). Sam hit home run after home run this season.

Edited by Atlanta
  • Love 1
On 12/11/2017 at 9:52 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Golden Globe nomination:

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama: Caitriona Balfe

Very pleased to see she got nominated. However, I think between Moss (who I think will win) and Foy (who I think if Moss doesn't, she will and should), she doesn't have a realistic shot. I watch all three shows.

• Love 1