Type keyword(s) to search

The Awards and Nominations Thread

Athena
  • Start Topic

Just checking in to say that Outlander won its semi-final bout in the RadioTimes poll (see link above) and now we are in the final. Our opponent is the winner of the Drama category -- Hannibal. Let me tell you about Hannibal. That show has devoted fans. They love their show as much as we love ours. But they just lost their show -- it was cancelled. They are bereft. They are highly motivated. They have something to prove. They are worthy opponents and they are going to give us a run for our money. To quote Tyrion Lannister, "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!” Tulach Ard!

Edited by WatchrTina

We won!  Outlander won the People's Choice Award for Favorite Cable TV Sci-Fi/Fantasy Show.  (We beat Game of Thrones!  OMG!)

Caitriona won Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress!  Whoo Hoo!  (She beat Lady Gaga!  OMG!)

Sam, alas, did not win his category (though of course he shares in the overall win for the show.)  The winner, Jensen Ackles, (one of the two hotties on the show, Supernatural) has 1.5 million twitter followers (vs. Sam's 202,900) and most of that 1.5 million are probably teenaged girls.  That's some tough competition.

It really is an honor just to be nominated but winning two out of three is pretty darn cool!  I'm delighted for Team Outlander.

ETA: I needn't have bothered watching the broadcast, however.  Our categories were not announced on the air and neither Sam nor Cait attended.  The show itself was dull as dishwater.

Edited by WatchrTina

I'm happy Caitriona and the show got the 2 wins; it's good for publicity and some nice affirmation. The Supernatural fandom is a bit intense, so I'm not surprised one of them took the win (unless they would have split the vote).  

People's Choice has always been a little off. Social Media Star? Favorite Mobile Game? And there was a run when Adam Sandler won best comedic actor, having not even been in a movie in years. Sometimes PC has me concerned about the voting electorate. Maybe it's good that you can't vote until you're 18.

Edited by Dust Bunny

It's weird that Caitriona won and not Sam if it was based on people's votes. Sam seems to garner much of the fan attention and so I thought people would be all over voting for him. I guess some other actor's fan base is even "crazier!" ;-)

• Love 1

Hmmmmm. The quote function appears to be broken today. Anyway, I'm going to post a quote below. I'm quoting myself -- something I posted about the Golden Globes in the Small Talk / Chewing the Haggis thread on December 6, 2014. It is even more true today, given that my hope might come true!

Quote:

"All the recent media attention to Outlander (winning online fan polls, shout-outs in magazine "best of the year" lists) is giving me a very pleasant day dream. Does anyone here remember when Alias first aired? Jennifer Garner was a relatively unknown actress (she'd had a small, supporting role on Felicity where we all hated her for being the girlfriend-in-the-way of the show's one true pairing). Then she got the lead in Alias. And then she got nominated for a golden globe as best actress during the very first season. She was very funny and self-effacing in the red-carpet interviews. Someone was interviewing her and then spun away from her when a much bigger star walked by. When he came back to her she just laughed it off and said "Oh I'm sure if Brad Pitt walks up you'll drop me again like a hot potato" (or words to that effect). Just then Brad Pitt walked by, heard his name, and turned to her with a questioning look. She stuck out her hand and said "Jennifer Garner. Nice to meet you." because she knew, she absolutely knew, he had no clue who she was. So later that evening, she won. She was adorable during her speech saying she was really glad she'd had a glass of wine and really wishing she hadn't had two. Then she said something like "I'd like to acknowledge all the people who work on the show so, ladies & gentlemen, Table 12!" and the camera pans over to a round table full of the cast and crew of Alias who are clearly just overjoyed at the this unexpected accolade. It sticks in my mind as one of the most genuine, warm moments I've ever seen on an award show.

I want that moment for Outlander. I want to see someone, anyone, up on the podium accepting a Golden Globe for Outlander. I want them a bit drunk and I want them to acknowledge the cast & crew and then I want the camera to swing over to a table containing Diana, Ron, Terry, Caitriona, Sam, Tobias, Graham, Grant, Duncan, Stephen, and the writers and directors. I would love to see the unbridled joy on their faces that I saw on the faces of the Alias team. Here's hoping."

• Love 1

0 for 3 for the show, and the Minnesota Vikings had yet another gut-wrenching choke.

F*** it. I'm going to have a shot of whisky and go to bed. Tomorrow's one day closer to season 2 and the NFL Draft.

Edited by Dust Bunny

Bummer!! I'm disappointed for them...and us.

But let's look at it this way. In it's debut season our show got three Golden Globe nominations...and should have been four. We are officially part of the conversation. People can no longer say, "Outlander? Never heard of it."

I think the future is bright for this show.

• Love 1

The thing that I found most startling about the show is how many nominated shows I have never heard of.  And I watch WAY too much television and subscribe to Entertainment Weekly.  "My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"?  Apparently it's a streaming-only show from Amazon.  There were many other examples. And NBC, the "Big Three" network broadcasting the show got no nominations at all.  The television landscape has become wildly fragmented.  The fact that Outlander received three (count'em THREE) nominations amid all that noise is, quite frankly, amazing.  Tularch Ard!  I'm so proud.

The thing that I found most startling about the show is how many nominated shows I have never heard of.  And I watch WAY too much television and subscribe to Entertainment Weekly.  "My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"?  Apparently it's a streaming-only show from Amazon.  

Actually, it's on the CW. I watched the first episode, but it didn't do much for me. 

"My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"?  Apparently it's a streaming-only show from Amazon. 

I think maybe you're thinking of Mozart in the Jungle, which won Best Comedy. 

As DittyDotDot said, My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is on the CW, and it's pretty fun and totally insane.

Edited by justcris

Did anyone see anyone from Outlander interviewed on TV?  I suffered through Ryan Seacrest/E pre GG show and they didn't interview one single person from Outlander.  Did they appear on any other televised pre-show? 

There really does seem to be a bias towards the A-list movie stars and treat the TV stars as second best.  Never once did the camera pan the Outlander table or show any of the stars save for when Cait and Tobia's categories were announced.  And the entire show was nominated but they never showed a clip of the show or even the table when their category was announced.  Annoying.  If I didn't know they were there I would never have known from the broadcast.  

Did anyone see anyone from Outlander interviewed on TV? I suffered through Ryan Seacrest/E pre GG show and they didn't interview one single person from Outlander. Did they appear on any other televised pre-show?

Nope. I watched it all on NBC and all I saw was Sam getting his picture taken on the red carpet on the right side of my screen, while talking head was talking to someone I didn't know. BLEAGH!!!

• Love 1

What annoyed the heck out of me is that they kept interviewing people who were just there to present awards as opposed to people who were nominated. I'm guessing their agents, production companies, or TV shows got them the interview to promote whatever they were doing or whatever show they were on, even though they weren't nominated. To compound it, they would interview these people on "E" and then five minutes later, interview them on NBC.

That being said, I don't think any of the STARZ talent was interviewed and none of them won their categories.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

I was really hoping they'd at least interview Cait since she was a best actress nominee. Seems like they only interviewed the movie stars or people on shows with huge viewerships, like Empire. 

Hopefully this was enough to get the show noticed for the Emmys. The second season material (18th century Paris!) should be catnip for voters. 

• Love 1

Being a ASOIAF (AKA Game of Thrones) I felt all your pains, it took almost 5 years for GOT to win not counting Dinklege win.

I personally felt Tobias and Cat should have won, I never heard of I robot and some of the other shows eh.

I know people on some GOT sites were upset that Lena Heady wasn't nominate;d to be honest, if she didn’t use a body double I would had agreed with them.

I also felt Outlander stood a good chance as GOT took away much last year but maybe this next Emmy

Is it true Clive Russell is also doing OutLander in 2016? he and Tobias will be busy between here and GOT.

Toni Graphia won an award for writing. And, Caitrionia for her role as Claire.

@TheWINAwards And the winner for Outstanding Show Written by a Woman is Toni Graphia for @Outlander_Starz #WINAwards17

‏@TheWINAwards Winner for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series is @caitrionambalfe for @Outlander_Starz

Oops, and the show too!

@TheWINAwards 15h15 hours ago The winner for Outstanding Drama Series is @Outlander_Starz !! #WINAwards17

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 1

Toni Graphia won an award for writing. And, Caitrionia for her role as Claire.

@TheWINAwards And the winner for Outstanding Show Written by a Woman is Toni Graphia for @Outlander_Starz #WINAwards17

‏@TheWINAwards Winner for Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series is @caitrionambalfe for @Outlander_Starz

Oops, and the show too!

@TheWINAwards 15h15 hours ago The winner for Outstanding Drama Series is @Outlander_Starz !! #WINAwards17

I had to look this up as I wasn't aware of award shows based on gender.

I just looked up the eligibility period for the coming Emmy Awards and the awards presented later this year will be for shows that aired between June 1, 2015 - May 31, 2016.  The last episode of season 1 of Outlander aired in May 2015 so those are out of the running but only the first 8 episodes of Season 2 will be in the running. If this shows is like most shows the emotional intensity of the episodes will build over the course of the season so some of the most Emmy-worthy (or at least attention-getting) performances may fall in the last 5 episodes, which will not be eligible.  Damn.

Emmy nominations are announced tomorrow (July 14).  Finger's crossed!

Over on RadioTimes.com in their 2016 TV Champion fan poll, both Sam and Cait have made it into the semi-finals for the SciFi/Fantasy category, but they are now up against each other, which annoys me, so I'm not voting in this round.  Sam's winning right now.  Rik Rankin is competing in the Drama category and he tweeted about it so I think he'd like to win (he is well ahead in the current round.)  It would be nice if he did well, riding on the wave of support for his first ep of Outlander as well as the pre-existing love for his performances in "The Crimson Field" and "Thirteen".  As a reminder, this is the poll that Sam won last year as overall champion, which is really quite funny when you consider that Outlander is not broadcast in the UK (which is the market that RadioTimes serves.)  It's only available streaming online.

They congratulated Bear even though he wasn't nominated (he was last year).  And in the press release for the sets, it said From Persia to the Scottish highlands.  Somebody has some explaining to do.

(edited)

Well this sucks. I was confident that Catriona, at least, would be nominated. I think Outlander is always going to be at a disadvantage if the show stays on the current schedule because the eligibility period for the Emmys is June 1 to May 31. This means that voters were only able to consider the first 8 episodes. I personally was a little underwhelmed by the first half of the season compared to season 1. I found it much less consistent. I think GHScorpiosRule noted in another thread something about not rewatching episodes from season 2. That's been the case for me thus far. I watched all of the episodes from season 1 multiple times. While I genuinely enjoyed this season, I don't think I'll be revisiting the episodes in France right away. I was much more impressed with the ones that took place in Scotland, and I will definitely be rewatching them, but only one of those was eligible for this year's awards cycle. It's especially a shame for Sam, who I think was given many more opportunities to shine once the show returned to Scotland.

ETA. As I think was observed last year, the Emmys are notorious for nominating the same people every year. I love Peter Dinklage, but he was given almost nothing to do this year and yet he was nominated for best supporting actor for GofT. I'm not picking on Peter--I just happen to watch that show and I've seen few of the other nominees.

Also, unlike a lot of shows, Outlander has a narrative arc. The characters are developed and the tension builds over the course of the season. My son, who is in a graduate program in film studies and loves Outlander, remarked recently that when you think about it, there's not a lot of action in Outlander. It's almost entirely character driven. If you don't get to see a character's entire development over the course of a series, then you're not going to get a genuine sense of the actor's range. It's really a shame.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 4

I enjoyed the whole season. I'm disappointed that none of the actors were nominated, considering how nuanced their characters are.  I don't think that most of the short-list performances have been as groundbreaking as these three have been.  

• Love 1

Outlander and other shows will have a better chance of noms next year. As I understand it, GoT will not have any episodes aired in the eligibility period for next year's Emmys due to the fewer number of episdoes, the shift in filming period for the next season, and thus the later airing period.

But I am disappointed for the lack of writing and acting noms for Cait and Sam, in particular, since some of their best work from late season 1 and early season 2 were in the eligibility period this time. And the bit with Bear makes little sense as well.

59 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

Outlander and other shows will have a better chance of noms next year. As I understand it, GoT will not have any episodes aired in the eligibility period for next year's Emmys due to the fewer number of episdoes, the shift in filming period for the next season, and thus the later airing period.

But I am disappointed for the lack of writing and acting noms for Cait and Sam, in particular, since some of their best work from late season 1 and early season 2 were in the eligibility period this time. And the bit with Bear makes little sense as well.

I don't think any episodes from season 1 were eligible, which sucks. The second half of season 1 ended on May 30, 2015, and the eligibility period for this year's awards was June 1, 2015, to May 31, 2016.

(edited)

I love Peter Dinklage, but he was given almost nothing to do this year

Amen to both of those sentiments!  I am genuinely shocked that Cait was overlooked.  I'm disappointed for Sam & Tobias but I'm pissed about Cait.  Oh well, I'm delighted for Terry & Gary.  Those noms were well-deserved.  The French half of Season 2 was GORGEOUS!

BTW if anyone wants to vent their frustration of the lack of a nomination for Sam, head on over to RadioTimes and vote for him in the final round of the SciFi championship (he's up against someone from The 100 and those fans are motivated).

Here's the link http://www.radiotimes.com/scifichampion

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

I didn't have any expectations in the actor categories. The Academy (even the Tonys, sometimes - it seems kind of cliche-y) tends to be either "wash, rinse, repeat" or wanting to prove they're trendy. "Orange was the New Black" was trendy the last couple years, and this year it's not nominated. "Mr. Robot" is the flavor of the year (don't get me wrong - it's a decent show). 

I hope at least the costume award is presented at the big event, and not at the Creative Emmys. I want everyone in that theater - and at home in prime-Twitter-time - to hear the title "Outlander". Get more of that name recognition going.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Hmmmmmm.  Some actress from "The 100" that I've never heard of is kicking Sam's ass over on the RadioTimes TV Champion's poll in the final round for SciFi/Fantasy actors.  Tulach Ard y'all.

http://www.radiotimes.com/scifichampion

She's kicking his ass because the creators of the 100 killed off her character (Lexa) 5 minutes after she had sex with the main character (Clark- another woman). It's called the Bury Your Gays trope and launched a whole movement and this list http://www.autostraddle.com/all-65-dead-lesbian-and-bisexual-characters-on-tv-and-how-they-died-312315/

It's not 65, the list has grown to 160. That was the original url before new information was added.

She will win BTW.

(edited)

He[ Sam] is way behind now [in the RadioTimes poll]

I know.  It's disappointing but hey, Sam won the whole thing last year -- I suppose it's someone else's turn this year.

Richard Rankin, however, is doing well in the "Drama" category.  :)

http://www.radiotimes.com/dramachampion2016

ETA: Well he was doing well last night and he won that round easily but I happened to check in right after the next round went live and he is up against Benedict Cumberbatch.  Well . . . shit.  That guy's fans are legion and very active on social media.  It was fun to vote for Richard when there were only a couple hundred votes on the board.  Me and a few dozen other of his fans must have all showed up at the same time because by the time I quit voting we had pushed Richard's tally from below 40% to above 50% of the total.  That felt good.  For about five minutes.  Then Benedict's fans showed up.  It's not going to be pretty.

ETA2:  Huh, I just looked again and after a couple of hours of voting Richard has over 54% of the vote.  Color me surprised.  I still think the "Cumberbitches" will be unstoppable (don't judge me -- that's what they call themselves -- Graham Norton teased Benedict about it on his chat show).  Still it's is heartening to see Richard's fans rally.  I suspect it's Outlander fans who are behind it all but he was also very good in The Crimson Field and I'm enjoying his performance in "Thirteen", which is airing now in the USA on BBC America.

Edited by WatchrTina

In the RadioTimes poll, Sam did ultimately lose in the SciFi/Fantasy category to whats-her-name from "The 100".  I can't remember the exact numbers but I think Sam got over 7 million votes and she had nearly 2 million more.  Yeah MILLION.  We SciFi/Fanatsy fans be crazy.

Surprisingly (at least to me) Richard Rankin is currently kicking Benedict Cumberbatch's arse with over 150,000 votes and over 62% of the total votes cast over in the Drama competition in the 4th round (8 competitors).  Clearly that match-up is not nearly as hotly contested as the SciFi/Fantasy final battle but still, it's always nice to see a member of the clan getting some love on social media.