Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Don't Mind The Slug Excrement, Just Add More Wine!

• Start Topic

I'm late to the goose stuff but I adore geese and wanted to mention that the best way to humanely be rid of them is to hire someone with specially trained border collies. they patrol while the geese are on their way through, making sure that none stay long enough to nest there.

It was the slug excrement that attracted me to this thread. I deal with ALOT of honest to goodness shit every single day. It is really just bile mixed with undigested food. So could someone starving find nutrition in animal scat, providing it was really really really well rinsed? I'm thinking like deer or bunny scat  porridge, or that kind of thing. Is this nuts (aside from being gross).

• Love 1

Does anyone here watch "Building Alaska"?  The season that just ended, there was a father/son builder crew that was making a floating building in Edna Bay, Alaska.  They had a young apprentice carpenter named Carleigh.  I think it was "our" Carleigh of this season of Alone.  She certainly looked just like her.  Guess that's where she got her building skills.

• Love 3
On 2/16/2017 at 3:21 PM, zamberlan said:

It was the slug excrement that attracted me to this thread.

Why hello! That line was certainly an attention-getter. I must ask, have you ever tried a variant of that as an ice breaker at a party?

On 5/31/2017 at 5:42 PM, ethalfrida said:

I hadn't. Now I'm wishing I'd been wearing ear plugs. I'm sure the bear would have liked that option, too.

Some people do not understand the concept of wild animals. It boggles my mind.

While touring Denali National Park in Alaska via bus, we came across a grizzly. The grizzly came extremely close to the bus. It walked right up beside it, past it, around in front of it, and wandered slowly down the road in front of it. The driver had repeatedly told us the importance of remaining quiet so that the bears (and other animals) did not acclimate to the presence of humans, and he reiterated about 82 times that no one could get off the bus. As the grizzly was walking just outside the bus, the oncologist in front of us loudly asked her (very annoying, very spoiled) children, "Do you want to get off the bus to see the bear?" SimplyMom, a former teacher, snapped in her best iron teacher's voice, "No one is getting off this bus." Dead silence. Topic dropped. Later SimplyMom confessed she just snapped and probably should have kept quiet, but I pointed out that her comment was more tactful than what I was about to say (which would have included a curse word followed by the word moron). My brother was slightly disappointed we hadn't gotten rid of the really annoying kids, but that would have ended poorly for the bear.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

OMGosh! Her voice! I wanted the bear to EAT her to shut her up! ;-)

16 hours ago, simplyme said:

Why hello! That line was certainly an attention-getter. I must ask, have you ever tried a variant of that as an ice breaker at a party?

I hadn't. Now I'm wishing I'd been wearing ear plugs. I'm sure the bear would have liked that option, too.

Some people do not understand the concept of wild animals. It boggles my mind.

While touring Denali National Park in Alaska via bus, we came across a grizzly. The grizzly came extremely close to the bus. It walked right up beside it, past it, around in front of it, and wandered slowly down the road in front of it. The driver had repeatedly told us the importance of remaining quiet so that the bears (and other animals) did not acclimate to the presence of humans, and he reiterated about 82 times that no one could get off the bus. As the grizzly was walking just outside the bus, the oncologist in front of us loudly asked her (very annoying, very spoiled) children, "Do you want to get off the bus to see the bear?" SimplyMom, a former teacher, snapped in her best iron teacher's voice, "No one is getting off this bus." Dead silence. Topic dropped. Later SimplyMom confessed she just snapped and probably should have kept quiet, but I pointed out that her comment was more tactful than what I was about to say (which would have included a curse word followed by the word moron). My brother was slightly disappointed we hadn't gotten rid of the really annoying kids, but that would have ended poorly for the bear.

I am cracking up at both of you! 

• Love 2

We were discussing Dave's revelations, and now wondering how much more fakery is involved in this show. Alan, who lives nearby, never mentions the show any more in interviews. I'm signed up for one of his upcoming  self-defense classes, but I'm now a little wary of bringing up the show or questions. On a recent radio interview, he didn't mention the show at all, only when the host brought it up at the end, and then he brushed it off and changed the subject.

History has ruined this show. The ratings have to be suffering.

• Love 2

I'm about to lose my mind!!

We are in the total eclipse zone, and we're having a big thing at our local park Sun/Mon. I managed to escape duty on Sunday, but I'll be there Monday. Our town's population is around 2,000. I'm already seeing traffic picking up and the local Ingles was packed yesterday and today. I'm afraid to go near Walmart. The Red Cross is here, as well as major catastrophe groups. Lord help us. :)

I am in charge of vendor and volunteer parking passes, and the list grows by the hour. Another lady was there today, spray painting the parking spaces and numbering them. I bet she's lost her mind along with mine. Maybe they can each find their way back to us. LOL

IMG_2768.JPG

• Love 1

It's one of those better safe than sorry scenarios.

Here's an interview with the mayor's wife, Barbara Hughes. She and her husband lived next door to us when I was little. Her husband was the principal at our elementary school back then, so I couldn't get away with anything.

First post/video on his page:

https://www.facebook.com/JMartinWRCB/?hc_ref=ARTGLY32pIUAsGQ69pVRarFVRXOGHHjG-ujZEwL1zIaaAPZjyIRBpT37FESjjRu2Fk0&fref=nf

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Watching the Discovery show Bushcraft Build-Off, it is fascinating! Alone fans might enjoy it!

Thanks for the heads up... I heard Matt had a new series in the works about shelter building, but didn't realize it was airing... and, what the hey, it was starting right after I read your message. DVR now set to record.... Matt was always a favorite from Dual Survival.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3
(edited)

there's no way that they can keep you from taking stuff out of which you can make 1000+ sq ft of 2" mesh netting. You can use that netting to make seines, to catch every fish  in an inlet, or stretch of creek, , or to make a baited net-weir out in a lake or the ocean. It's nothing at all to average catching 5 lbs of fish per day with that much netting.  Netting can also catch snakes, turtles, crabs, crawdads, birds, mammals. When you  have some fat in which to fry it, tree cambium offers starches/carbs.. On Vancouver Island, there's kelp everywhere, so juice it. It only offers  50 calories per lb, so you can't eat enough of the plant-fiber to do you any good. It will give you the ripping trots. But juicing it, with a big wooden mortar and pestle will work. Netting protects your catch from predators (a bit, at least). the sapling framed box traps are readily portable, unlike deadfalls. You can use netting  to keep fish alive while you prepare the drying/smoking racks needed to preserve them, if you've caught more than you can readily eat. That's what you need to be doing, for the times when you can't gather any food.

Edited by beatu
On 11/26/2017 at 11:39 AM, ClareWalks said:

Watching the Disc?overy show Bushcraft Build-Off, it is fascinating! Alone fans might enjoy it!

I would enjoy that and I am a big fan of Matt. What day and time is it on?

11 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I would enjoy that and I am a big fan of Matt. What day and time is it on?

Oh heck that was back in November, LOL! Not sure if they show reruns or what. It might be online somewhere!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Oh heck that was back in November, LOL! Not sure if they show reruns or what. It might be online somewhere!

Thanks...I'll try to see if I can find it.

If the producers ever decide to do a "celebrity" edition, they should recruit those folks from the show "Life Below Zero".  Those people life in remote areas of Alaska/the Arctic Circle and know how to live off the land in harsh conditions.  Also, that woman Sue is a tough bird who lives alone most of the time by choice.  She has said that she can't function in an urban environment. I can't see her getting all boohoo about being alone or needing to be around people.  She even had a bear encounter and lived to tell about it.  Most of the other people on LBZ are equally as capable and experienced in living off the land.   They would be a great lineup for future Alone seasons.

• Love 3

He's said that he was starving at his original site. It never  even occurred to him to make a pontoon outrigger raft, so that he could get around an outcropping of rocks, to a better spot. He finally, after losing  25 lbs of bodyweight in  a month, discovered that he could, at low tide, clamber over a lot of slimy boulders and reach a better foraging area. He didn't MOVE there, tho, cause he didnt dare try to move 70+ lbs of gear and clothing over those boulders. All he had to do was pick a calm half an hour on the sea, and paddle around the outcropping, with everything aboard the raft. You can build such a raft in a day. They give you lots of stuff that will float, so the" flotation-quotient" of local wood doesn't matter. You aint trying to cross the Atlantic with your little craft. You just want to be able to service your netting/and-sapling-framed crab traps, net-weirs and gillnets without getting soaked in cold water. Nothing keeps you from bringing a commercial fisherman's rainsuit, ya know!

Dave's claimed that he lost no weight his second month, due to finding a natural crab trap in the kelp beds, and making a net out of a hunk of flotsam-rope. Well, you need at least  3000 calories per day for that, under those conditions, and it could EASILY be 4000+  per day, too. Top swimmers have to eat  TEN thousand calories per day while in training and they aint fat! Do you think that they eat nothing but ice cream? So you CAN learn to eat  10+ lbs of food per day, folks. Only  1/4 of a crab's live weight is edible flesh and the flesh, ready to eat, is just 400 calories per lb.  (google it, you'll see) So, he'd need to eat  8 lbs of crab per day, which means catching  32 lbs of crab, EVERY day. without crab traps!   Now, if you "think" that's feasible, I"ve got a bridge in brooklyn that you need to buy!  

Let-s say that  he  caught  15 lbs of crab per day (very unlikely) . That's 4 lbs of edible flesh,  1600 lousy calories.  So he'd need another  1400 calories, EVERY day, in order to not lose weight. Only a bit over  half of a fish or animals' live weight is edible flesh and fish, ready to eat, is just 600 calories per lb. So he'd have to eat 2.5 lbs of fish per day, along with the crab, which would mean that he had to catch  5 lbs of fish, every day. Now, if you CAN do that, with netting made from a bit of rope, why could you NOT catch a LOT more fish and crabs, with the 4000 sq ft of  2" mesh netting that you can make out of the  20x20 tarp and local vegetation, hmm? So Dave's fos.

Edited by beatu

Who cares if he’s claiming he lost weight or not.  I find the title negative toward someone who outlasted all the others, and could’ve gone longer.  It’s no skin off my nose if he lost it, gained it, or had a tummy tuck.

Why do you have to drag him down?

He survived  11 years in the Idaho wilds (1930's) with just a hunk of tarp, a wool blanket, some hooks and line, a pocket knife, a skillet, a coffeepot, flint and steel and the clothes that he stood in!  He took down the phone wires between the forest fire towers and snared deer with it. He survived  2 more years, but he had a single shot  .22lr rifle and 50 rds of ammo. He said that he killed a deer a month with it,  1 shot each. That doubtless meant  sub-10m brain hits. 

maybe, but I doubt it. They have no experience at filming themselves or foraging with such limits on gear or small areas in which they must stay. Also, the producers want this show to END within 2 months. They very carefully set it up to almost never get past  3 months. It costs them too much if it does.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:27 AM, ProfCrash said:

There was a participant on a Alaska adventure show that picked berries out of bear scat and ate them. The others thought he was crazy.

he is. those berries barely have any calories when they are fresh. There's nothing whatsoever to gain from already eaten berries, much less the risk of illness from feces, and all the trouble of doing it is a waste of time and calories.

Edited by beatu

I thought of this show today.  A deer came out of nowhere in the middle of the day on a main road in traffic and ran at lightening speed straight into my SUV today.  After bouncing off my car it tried to get up but was missing a hoof.  It crawled to the side of the road and eventually died.  My driver's side front end was messed up but fortunately for me I was not injured.  I wish I could say my soul was not injured too, but it's weighing heavily on me.  I know there was nothing I could do - no time to react.  The nice people that saw it happen kept telling me that, and that helped a lot, but it still hurts.  I think I understand a little more now how some of the people on this show feel about being the cause of another creature's death. 😢

I know how you feel and I sympathize.  About 10 years ago, I was driving on a highway at night in a fairly rural area and saw a deer just standing in one lane of the road.  I slowed way down and was creeping past him in the other lane when he suddenly leapt right into the side of my car.  I was near an exit to a small town so turned in and called the police.  They came and had to shoot the poor thing.  I felt worse about the deer than I did about the damage to my car.  

6 hours ago, mlp said:

I felt worse about the deer than I did about the damage to my car.  

Me too.  The car will be fixed, the deer can't be.  Everyone I've talked to so far around here says that the deer are overpopulating right now.  Ironically a lot of people think that allowing more hunting would be more humane for them than letting them populate to the point of causing all sorts of accidents and suffering a painful death.  I think I might agree with that, although I've heard that there aren't enough hunters around anymore either. 

The body shop where they took my car told me they're seeing more deer accidents than ever before.  I'm such a careful driver, I never cause accidents (although I've had people hit me a few times in over 40 years, usually in parking lots for some reason).  My insurance company is actually going to reimburse me my deductible on this because of that!  

• Love 2

At least you don’t have to deal with elk, bears and Sasquatch.

I’m not joking. Big elk have migrated here to the far corner of WNC, bears are everywhere and there’s a Bigfoot museum about 30 minutes south in Blue Ridge, GA. Someone claimed to have spotted him in Hayesville, NC not long ago. 

13 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

At least you don’t have to deal with elk, bears and Sasquatch.

I’m not joking. Big elk have migrated here to the far corner of WNC, bears are everywhere and there’s a Bigfoot museum about 30 minutes south in Blue Ridge, GA. Someone claimed to have spotted him in Hayesville, NC not long ago. 

Wow.  The bear around me have exploded too.  Mr. Yeah No had a stare-down with a mama and cub last week peering out from the woods behind our house.  They know when garbage day is and so we have to put it out very close in time to when the truck comes.  All my friends have had encounters of one kind or another this season.  This mama was already tagged twice so she's been a problem before.  It's still better than living in a big city, though, where the hazards are usually human.

• Love 2

I’m constantly dodging deer on the roads. A mother had her baby beside the creek on the front of our property. It’s a very safe place, well covered with plants, trees. Then what does Bambi do? Gets under the fencing and into the contained garden area, skips out onto the dock and jumps into the pond. My dad thought he was going to have to fish her out, but she swam over to the side and climbed out on her own. Guess she was hot and needed to cool off. 🙂 There are usually a dozen or more in the large front yard each night, grazing. Drives my dog nuts.

• Love 1
(edited)

My best friend lives in a very nice part of Lynchburg, Virginia and it drives me crazy that no one has any flowers because the deer (and they have a lot) would eat them.  He tells me that there have also been multiple bear sightings near him lately. 

We too are inundated by white tail dear where I am (Chicago suburbs) and authorities are trying to find inventive ways to deal with them that won't upset us soft-hearted suburbanites.  We don't want to see hunters taking out Bambi but the truth of the matter is there are too many for the available food resources so they are starving and they are ruining the ecosystem.  

I've been lucky enough never to hit (or be hit by) a deer, but when ever I see one crossing the road, I think of this adage:  if you see one dear, there's probably another one following it. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Don't know if any of you want to see Alone :The Beast where 3 strangers team up to survive

They are burning through all the unaired episodes on History Channel

Check your local listings

We saw the first episode and looked for more, but there were none.  I'll have to tell Mr. Max and we'll DVR it.  Thanks for the info!

One of the contestants is the brother of Jordan from season 6.

On 9/26/2020 at 1:17 PM, humbleopinion said:

Don't know if any of you want to see Alone :The Beast where 3 strangers team up to survive

They are burning through all the unaired episodes on History Channel

I missed them, but thanks for pointing it out.  I saw the first two before they stopped showing them.  Looks like I can access the other four On Demand through my cable platform.  These are all stand alone episodes if I recall.