Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: Wolves And Cougars And Bears, Oh My!

• Start Topic

Wasn't it Dustin (tapped out-from Pittsburgh) that talked about the Sea Otter, or did Sam do so too?

You are so right, riverheightsnancy - as soon as I posted this, the reptilian part of my old damaged brain memory banks told me it was wrong, but I left it in anyways, because Sam does seem like someone who is delighted by nature, animals and scenery - and could possibly befriend an otter.

It is my instinctual understanding that sea otters are impervious to the charms of recited Poe; hence I did not mis-cite Alan.  :-)

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if Sam's footage just....sucks.  Maybe it is too jerky and induces motion sickness, so that's why they don't feature him often.  If you think about it, the only footage we see of Sam is when the camera is stationary by his camp, with not a lot of action shots, either of him doing things in front of the camera, or of him walking with the camera.  With his performance on the first episode, I expected him to be a big ham in front of the cameras, and maybe he is, but that he's so bad at filming himself, he's being a big ham, only halfway on camera.  So either he sucks at the camera work, or it could be that the editors have taken him in intense dislike, so they don't feature him very much.  Or....he could just be really, really boring. 

Edited by HurricaneVal
  • Love 4

Generally, the people getting the most screen time have been the ones who tapped out that episode. That's why I was so worried for Alan in this past one. I thought he would spend all the hours amusing himself and then finish it up by saying "That's it, I'm done, where's the phone?".

I've noticed that not only does Sam get very little airtime, he's never on until about 35 minutes into the show. It's like they forget about him being there at all. . He doesn't seem that boring, what they show of him is at least as interesting as any of the other guys (with the exception of Alan, of course). I'm wondering if Sam is the winner and we'll see more of him in the final episode.

I am glad that we had an episode where no one tapped out, and if there are 4 episodes left with 4 remaining men, we should get at least one more. Episode 10 should be down to the last 2 men. I find it very ironic that to win, you only have to last 1 second longer than the last drop-out. As soon as that one calls to tap out, the producers could be on the phone to the last man standing to tell him that he's won. And that last drop-out is going to feel incredibly stupid.

• Love 2

My theory is that Sam just didn't tape as much. Maybe he thought that on that long rainy days, there was no reason to tape himself sitting in his tent. Or maybe he taped but a bunch of his footage got corrupted or lost or something.

It's definitely possible that we'll see more of him later, and we're seeing less now because he'll be featured so prominately later. That seems weird, though, since we're seeing so much of the other three. At least one of them has to around as long as he is, right?

• Love 1

Alan continues to impress and amuse. "You may already think I'm crazy, but I have other levels to rise to"  "I've just spent hours amusing myself, but there's only so much of me I can take"

I was worried for Lucas that he got red tide poisoning or something else serious and would have to be med-vacced out from eating so many clams. If he had taken time to soak them in a pot of water overnight, a lot of the sand would have been expelled at least. I'm still waiting for him to start making headway on a good shelter. I think, besides fire, and food, in that weather, and those predators, a log structured shelter would be my next big priority. He started with such promise. Amazing the size of logs he was accumulating. Please don't tell me he has stopped because of the clay not being quite right.

So Lucas drags around that big tarp and uses it for everything? Too bad he doesn't have another one for the boat. That boat he made I admit was an awesome feat. But I agree with others in having a bigger standup dry area, and that tarp is big enough on its own to have a permanent dry area, especially combined with wood logs.

I must be feast or famine out there. some days they get a giant Salmon, crabs and pig out. Perhaps the shell fish could be kept in water awhile without too much attraction, but they can't keep around leftovers I imagine. So they must throw away the access along with the carcas or shells, and the next day they have to start all over.  I still can't believe others besides Alan didn't know about eating seaweed.

• Love 2

We saw at least Sam grabbing some seaweed, and I think Mitch mentioned it too. Not sure if Lucas knows about the seaweed! But yeah, I think a lot of the guys who tapped out didn't know much about edible plants, or at least they didn't show it in the editing. If I were doing this, once I knew where I was going, I would MEMORIZE a book of PNW edibles and medicinals. Honestly it looks like Alan did just that, because he is a smart cookie!

• Love 4

We saw at least Sam grabbing some seaweed, and I think Mitch mentioned it too. Not sure if Lucas knows about the seaweed! But yeah, I think a lot of the guys who tapped out didn't know much about edible plants, or at least they didn't show it in the editing. If I were doing this, once I knew where I was going, I would MEMORIZE a book of PNW edibles and medicinals. Honestly it looks like Alan did just that, because he is a smart cookie!

Dustin ate seaweed too. I had high hopes for Dustin, but the psychological aspect did him in (I think). If I remember the map, all of the remaining guys are on a similar side of the inlet (island?) and Mitch is on the other. I have to wonder how much and how different (they do seem different) the placement of each participant is/was and how that impacted them. I REALLY hope that they have an after show. There are a lot of questions I would like answered first hand. Sans taps outs 1,2 & 3.  ESPECIALLY tap out 1. He was done essentially within seconds of being dropped off. He has NOTHING to add to the conversation! 

• Love 3

A turtle would be good, they can't get away easily. 

Tell that to the all men group on Naked and Afraid XL, who had a turtle in a cage, planning a turtle dinner, only to find out that he was Harry Houdini on speed.  LOL

• Love 4

I once caught a turtle in the creek behind my house and put him in a very big cardboard box. Closed the flaps. Figured I'd get him a cage the next day. He was gone.

Turtles earn their name "ninja." Stealth little creatures.

• Love 4

If I remember the map, all of the remaining guys are on a similar side of the inlet (island?) and Mitch is on the other. I have to wonder how much and how different (they do seem different) the placement of each participant is/was and how that impacted them.

I've been amazed at how many different environments we've seen in such a small geographic area. Each one seems like a different eco-system. I really wish people would do more exploring inland and not just stay along the beach areas. I'd like to know more about how they've settled in: what each person's current shelter looks like (we only get glimpses of  most of them), where they are getting their fresh water from, is it easier to start a fire now, etc.

• Love 4
Tell that to the all men group on Naked and Afraid XL, who had a turtle in a cage, planning a turtle dinner, only to find out that he was Harry Houdini on speed.  LOL

Seriously??? I fell asleep watching that episode, so I missed that part. But, damn, I stand corrected. 

One thing I haven't seen any of the guys do is make spruce tea. You can boil up the needles and the green inner bark for tea. It's a good source of vitamin c, and smells nice. Tastes like tree of course, but it is a nice change of pace from just plain water.

Also, it warms you up from the inside.

• Love 6

muffkins good thinking with the tea! I would be curious to know how much we don't see. Hopefully they will come out with a DVD set with lots of bonus footage and features. 

It's Alone day, gang! Let's have a virtual viewing party. To fit the theme, we will all be Alone. In our individual houses. Perhaps eating bull kelp.

• Love 3

Do we all agree Alan is our love god???

He wants to bring that fish trap through security at ATL. Honey, if I'd known when, I'd have been there to help you carry it to your car. He just never gives up. And catching his snail dinner in the plastic bottles.... OMG... who'd have thunk? His self reflection is so endearing. "There is probably no such thing as limits."

No, sir... there is not. :) That is my new motto. I am not thinking about tomorrow. I am thinking about forever.

Jeff Probst is somewhere having an orgasm wishing Alan was on Survivor. (Survivor fans will know what I mean)

Sam and his mousie feast. You're missing out on all the water-based stuff, dude. I couldn't watch him gut the mouse. Even my tabby turned his head. Sam could be eating an entire salmon if he had a brain for fishing.

• Love 6

Oh, Alan. My wilderness hero.

I have a feeling Mitch is not long for this competition. Mitch is great, but he seems to be checking out.

And Sam? Yeah, one little mouse is good. It is hardly a three-course meal. I wish he could see what Alan is doing.

I saw the promo for Wednesday's "After the Rescue" special. Awesome!

• Love 4

Damn it, I'm in Quesnel visiting my husband's family and forgot that my brother in law doesn't have any sort of cable TV (I Know!!!) Just Netflix. And his internet is so bad I won't even try to watch it online. Thank God for PVRs. I guess I'll watch it Monday night when I get home. Something to look forward to!

• Love 2
(edited)

He wants to bring that fish trap through security at ATL. Honey, if I'd known when, I'd have been there to help you carry it to your car.

I think he'd have to go through security (and customs) in Vancouver, not Atlanta. However, it must have been quite the sight to see that coming through the flaps on the baggage claim carousel (assuming he was able to bring it back).

Well, they switched it up and led with Sam tonight. I think he got more screen time tonight than the past 3 episodes combined. Mitch and Lucas seem to be the weakest emotionally right now (and bad luck to Mitch on losing his gill net), but Sam and Alan have their moments when they're down as well. I get worried when the guys start to reevaluate why they're doing this and have they proved what they wanted to prove to themselves. Only 3 episodes left, so we will probably see someone tap out next week.

Interesting tidbit that Alan mentioned they were able to talk to local people before the show started.

I'm glad that they're having a behind-the-scenes/after-the-fact show. I wonder if that means the ratings are good or whether this would have been aired in any case. Interesting that they're doing it on a different night. Typically, don't shows like that air in the hour before the new episode? So are they trying to get new viewers to the show or are they trying to improve their ratings on Wednesday night?  Anyone know what kind of ratings the show is getting?

I started feeling nostalgic while watching the show tonight. I feel so lucky to have caught this show in it's first season, because it's truly caught lightning in a bottle. I never watched the first seasons of Amazing Race or Survivor when they first aired on broadcast TV.  Alone could be a success and run for 20 seasons, but there will never be another season 1. There will never be another season where the contestants really don't know what they're in for. And in season 20 I'll bet that we'll still be comparing contestants to Alan or Sam or Mitch or hell, even Josh who tapped out the first night.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 4
(edited)

I've got to get to bed but wanted to pop in & say, yet again, for the umpteenth time, that I freaking love this show. When they mentioned an extra hour next week I almost wet my pants with excitement. Knowing it's the already tapped-out I'm not quite as excited but still whatever extras they give I'll gladly take.

I think I could watch an hour of Alan's philosophy on life most days. He is inspiring in an understated, not screaming at you to buy his book, way. I appreciate it & the points he makes. Think you can't do something? Mental obstacle. Tell it no, move around it, accomplish. Sam was not annoying to me this episode. I get the feeling if he's not upbeat he doesn't think he has anything to say. Oh crap. I need to shut up & sleep.

ETA: Fixing an insanely long run on sentence. I get a bit excited about this show.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 4
(edited)

Tell that to the all men group on Naked and Afraid XL, who had a turtle in a cage, planning a turtle dinner, only to find out that he was Harry Houdini on speed. LOL

Good for the turtle! :-)

Alan is da Man! His plastic bottle traps were ingenious. I hope the big trap turns out to be as useful. Alan is just so interesting and entertaining. Plus he has lovely eyes! Sam eating the mouse reminded me of that Kliban cat cartoon with the cat playing a guitar and singing "Love to eat them mousies...Mousies what I love to eat! Bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet!"

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 8

Now I've got the Mousie song stuck in my head, as I look at my big 15 lb. bruiser of a cat who'd love to toy with one until it dies of exhaustion.

It reminded me of the very first season of Survivor when they were killing and eating rats they found on the island. They didn't get the huge, overblown buffets of food that the show gives them now. That's what I hope this show doesn't do -- start to let it's head swell with success. I want them to leave it as it is, a man against the elements.

And I love all the little subtitles of information the show gives us along the way. It's really brilliant.

• Love 4

The first night this show aired I had to shut it off because it made me SO anxious (mainly the idea of bears and cougars attacking)  but now I can't get enough of it!  Really looking forward to the extra one on Wednesday and hearing some of the inside scoop.

I've been pulling for lovely Mitch but darn if Alan hasn't stolen my heart....he's got such a great attitude, and those fish traps!  The little ones from bottles were great, but when he went and wove that big one?  I was just afraid that when he went back to check on it, it would have been taken away by the tide or something like Mitch's net.  Wonder what's anchoring it, just the weight of it?  I need to look at their locations again -- are maybe some of them in quieter areas, water-wise?   

I had to turn away at Sam's mouse gutting, too --  and boy, not much of a meal for all that work.      

I just love that I can watch a show where really I'm rooting for ALL the guys --   I just wish I could come busting through the trees and bring them all a nice hot home-cooked meal ;)                             

• Love 3

In the movie, Broadcast News, the Holly Hunter character, Jane Craig sets aside time everyday for a cathartic cry, to de-stress.

Hopefully, Lucas is doing the same, taking a daily psychological cleanse.

It is not a complete episode until Lucas has shed some tears.

In this riveting episode of Alone, Alan reveals his recipe for guppy soup.

Alan keeps it simple, a 2 ingredient meal-guppies in their own water element, sure to please your guests.

Mitch's flat affect, monotone speech tone supports his expressed unhapiness.

Perhaps mold has invaded his body and it is the mold doing the talking.

Hence, the birth of Mold Man.

Last spotted in the remote coves of Vancouver island in the Great Pacific Northwest, he pouts in a olive drab parka.

Mold Man whines and pines for home.

Sam finally submitted enough taped minutes to be included in the show.

Welcome to Alone on the History Channel, Sam.

• Love 2
(edited)

Alan is da man. Seriously. I would watch any show he was on. Hope he has more luck with his big fish trap.

It's interesting to me when they (someof them -- looking at you, Sam) gut the animals and toss everything, and then toss the bones. Remove the (literal) guts and colon, skin it, and then toss the rest in some soup. Once you've cooked the animal and eaten the meat, toss the bones in there too. They're wasting vital calories and nutrients by eating just the muscle meat.

Mitch, Lucas, and Sam who?

Edited by rainsmom

Sam's snare line is a good idea, IF he were going for bigger game than mice. He will burn more calories just checking the traps than he will yield from them. He really needs to figure out fishing. I am shocked that he hasn't. Or that he didn't study up on it before going to the PACIFIC NORTHWEST, FFS.

Lucas is basically falling apart, but I was happy he caught a fish. Finding those buoys is just gold. 

Annoyed with the editing for Mitch. They always show him reacting badly to the latest setback, then they don't show him again for like a week. It's hard to tell where he is mentally with that kind of patch job. Sucks that he lost his net, but he also brought fishing line and hooks. He will be okay if he bucks up and goes for it.

Alan...what can I say, the man is a genius. Those minnow traps alone could feed him each day with all the calories he'll need. Also, did he say he'd never trapped fish before? Because his fish basket was EPIC. Hopefully he will catch something good. Maybe he should put it near where he puts his minnow traps - if there are lots of little fish there, I'll bet big fish are nearby to feed on them.

• Love 4

When Sam was frying that mouse, I was yelling "Stew the damn thing!" I wonder how many of those few calories got left in the pan. I also couldn't believe he didn't eat the bones; just

munch them up too.

I really hope Alan's trap caught something edible.

• Love 3

Well, Alan just makes cartoon hearts pop out of my eyeballs. I was beaming in delight at those plastic-bottle fish traps. He is the shiznit!

I did worry about Lovely Mitch; they showed his despair at losing his net to the tides, and then...nothing. Every commercial break I was all, is Mitch still alive?!? I guess he's managed to hold on.

Lucas's canoe still amazes me. Imagine what kind of survival compound these guys could develop if they actually got together at this point. At any rate, Lucas seems to be a sensitive soul, so I will accept his daily weepfest. I would seriously not have stopped crying, so I get it.

And finally, Sam is indirectly responsible for my favorite educational chyron of the year and possibly ever, in which I learned that a field mouse is the caloric equivalent of a Totino's pizza roll. 

I really enjoy the way they have been editing this show. Yes, they need to show more of Lovely Mitch and Goofy Sam, but I love how they will skip several days by just showing one guy passing the time.

I like this too...and I think that it speaks to how brutally boring so much of their days must be. It's sobering, for sure. Someone upthread mentioned bringing a book as a survival item, but what book? I'd need a behemoth tome of literature, or the Oxford Dictionary or something. Probably you are not allowed a Kindle, heh. 

• Love 5

Not enough Lovely Mitch.   I think that Sam is not going to be able to hang on if he is not trying to fish. That is a big problem in my eyes. I think that Lucas wastes too much effort and energy on his boat. Putting the tarp in, setting the cameras,  getting in, paddling out, setting the traps, checking them, coming back in, taking apart the boat, putting the tarp back, all for nothing. It seems like a major waste of energy. I would not be surprised if Sam taps next, the more I see of him, the more I don't like him. Call it attitude, how he handles his kills, his age, whatever, I just don't like him. I like Lucas more than Sam, even if he seems quite fragile and too introspective at times. That knife that Alan has is quite sharp. It looks really well made and super useful. 

• Love 1

Someone upthread mentioned bringing a book as a survival item, but what book? I'd need a behemoth tome of literature, or the Oxford Dictionary or something. 

I'd bring a notebook/pen so I could write my own stories while stuck in my shelter for days on end. It'd be fun to go back and read my descent into madness... 

• Love 3

I'd bring a notebook/pen so I could write my own stories while stuck in my shelter for days on end. It'd be fun to go back and read my descent into madness... 

"All kelp and no tequila makes Jack a dull boy."

• Love 10

Ok, so I've watched each episode at least twice. I can figure out fire and I'm pretty sure I can fashion a boat. I'll do some work on hollering "Hey Bear" and perfecting my wine marinated slug compote ala Alan then I think I'm ready to sign up for season 2.

Who's with me?!

• Love 2