Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: Wolves And Cougars And Bears, Oh My!

• Start Topic

"I shall endeavour to persevere"  Yes my dear, you will.  The rain stops in May.  I'm serious.  The constant rain sound (for me) was very soothing.  My bedroom was the back porch of the house, and It had sliding wooden 9 pane windows the on 3 sides.  I used to open them all during rainstorms and fall asleep listening to the rain.  Puts me right out.  If Alan hadn't been talking, I probably would've been out like a light.

• Love 4

I'm a bit worried for Mitch based on the preview for next week they showed at the end of the episode. But the man is a genius and will surely persevere. Bummer about the mold, that is nazzzzty.

Lucas is a great guy but he just seems scattered. He needs to build that cabin, since he does better when he has a concrete objective. 

Sam is fascinating. I want to know more about him. 

Alan...there are no words. If I were stuck in the woods I would want to be with him. We could try to recite "The Raven" in its entirety by switching off every word. We could do endless Julia Child impressions. I would fetch him the finest bull kelp. If he doesn't get his own show from this, I will eat my (moldy) hat.

• Love 5

I only worry when they show a person a lot (Mitch got very little last night, so I felt safe for Lovely Mitchy). Which is why I was thinking something bad would happen to Alan last night. Based on prior editing, they start to focus on a person a bit more when they are getting ready to tap. Now, with only 4 left, that theory may not hold anymore, because they have enough time to focus on all really, but it seems to be what happened in the previous episodes when there were more people.

The only thing that I can think of is, Lucas is next, then Alan (that would be mind blowing really) and Mitch and Sam are the last two and they will get more time then. The other thing that has crossed my mind is that there may be a disproportionate amount of footage shot by Alan and all the others. I wonder if these guys were required to record a specific amount every day? Because you can see the poor editors looking at creating episode 7. Gee, we have 80 hours of Alan (who is really entertaining), 5 hours of Lucas (who appears to be a bit fragile and they may not want to exploit or make him seem worse than he is by hyper-focusing on his crying and intrapsychic upset propagated by being "Alone"), 3 hours of Mitch (doing laundry and analyzing mold spores, hee), and 20 minutes of Sam (hacking heads off of fish which seems a little brutal to me, not like how Alan did it). What to do, what to do...? Seems obvious to me. One last thing, no discussion of being afraid of bears, cougars, wolves, bugs, noises, ants, the dark, being stalked, eaten alive, or anything now. Have they acclimated? Curious about that. 

I said this previously and I will say it again, if Alan's phone is not ringing off the hook, then some of these show producers are not worth their paycheck. If I worked at a local TV station, I would be on the phone 24/7 to Alan trying to setup a weekly spot on the evening local news show. He is a natural, but I do want to know more about his background, as I think THAT will explain a lot about him. I am thinking he is not just an average blue collar guy (nothing wrong with that, just saying). He seems to know so much about a lot of diverse things (cooking, literature, hmmmm). I am really curious about his background. Does he have a Facebook or anything? Does anyone know? 

I hope that Cooksdelight gets that insider interview of Alan. That way we can get these pressing questions answered! :)

• Love 2

This is Alan's bio from the History Channel. IMO, nothing to indicate the depth and breadth of knowledge and interests what we've seen:

Alan was born and raised in Georgia, where he spent the majority of his childhood in the forests making shelters with his beloved hatchet. His passion for the woods grew as the years passed, and by the time he was in his 20s, Alan had acquired the skills and mindset necessary to adapt and survive in any environment. In an effort to increase his understanding of edible and medicinal plants, Alan sought out and studied under a number of knowledgeable elders, all of whom helped to round out his growing skill set. He also spent time developing proficiency in the combative arts, including barehanded, stick and knife fighting. In his role as a corrections officer, he’s also been trained in tactical medical care. Alan knows that he’s bound to encounter situations beyond his control and imagination on Vancouver Island. He has left behind a wife and children for this opportunity and is ready to put all of his skills together and push himself to the limits—physically, psychologically and emotionally.

• Love 1

<shallow>

Alan isn't my type physically, but a man who can kick ass, forage for food, quote Poe at length AND make me laugh? Damn. I wonder if he has a brother?

</shallow>

• Love 7

I started out this show rooting for Lovely Mitch, with Alan coming in second.  But darn if Alan isn't in the lead for me now.  Sorry Mitch.  But Alan has such a lovely disposition.  Nothing shakes him.  He can make a meal out of anything, sing like a canary, quote Poe by memory.  Is there anything this man can't do?  His wife is very lucky, and must be pretty awesome herself.  I would totally watch a survival show starring Alan - he just makes me laugh.  He's tv-ready, for sure.

I'm liking Sam a bit more, but he's still behind the other two.  I give mad props to Lucas for building that canoe and getting those clams.  And I hope they are ALL throwing their cooking detritus into the water so as not to attract the predators.  So smart of Alan to build a cooking camp well away from his sleeping camp.

• Love 6

Alan is a true Renaissance man...and an excellent teacher. When he was laying out the coverage for his cook shelter like shingles...! I am learning things from Alan! Not that I ever hope to use this knowledge, heaven forbid, but he is a straight-up delight and Mrs. Alan is one lucky woman. Poe! Bouilliabase! :swoooooon:

I once lived in a janky apartment with a mold problem, so my heart aches for Lovely Mitch. Mold is no joke, ugh.

I'm also envious/covetous of the big honking salmon these guys are pulling out of the water, because buying it in the market--even in Seattle--is a treat I have to carefully justify to myself. :)

Finally, what a surprise--that no one tapped out in this episode. In the high-stakes, manufactured-drama universe of most reality television, that would be unthinkable, and it makes this odd, quiet show all the more compelling. I'm also fascinated by the raw, open emotions these guys are exhibiting, even just a week or two in. They're no doubt accustomed to being tough, hard-core survivalist manly men, in a lot of ways...it's interesting, to me, that so much isolation and introspection is leading to tearful breakdowns that, I'd wager, none of these guys have experienced--or allowed themselves--in years

• Love 10
(edited)

Pagooey, what an excellent post!  Thoughtful, insightful....thank you for sharing your thoughts.  I enjoyed it!

Once again, I must say I am astonished at how much I am enjoying this show.  It is my sole, can't wait for Thursday and actually watch it LIVE!  I rarely watch anything live these days, even if I just DVR and start watching 20 minutes late.  Not this one though, don't want to wait even that long for some sheer, enjoyable, television.  I hope they realize what a terrific program they have going here.

Edited by dustoffmom
  • Love 6

I love this show in a way that surprises me. I am seriously enthralled & entertained in such a quiet, calm way that I want to watch hours of this. I'm fangirling in the oddest grown-up way. I don't think I can quite articulate it, but I think y'all understand it.

I am still firmly on the Alan love train, but Mitch & Lucus are tied in the second car & I'm even softening on Sam. Although, to be honest, that may be due to the smaller amount of footage of him. These guys are pleasant. Pleasant! On a reality show. What a pleasant thing to watch.

Alan's random rambling made me smile. I've done that with myself at times, but mine is due to a habit of talking to myself & my ADHD helping me jump topics on a whim. However, I do it in the comfort of my dry, warm home or car. I think if I was out there, especially after days in my shelter due to rain, I would be blithering, crying & drooling. That's assuming I was there at all, which is laughable because I would have probably ran toward a bear in my panic & died the first day.

Alan's commentary on society & his discussion of Thoreau was thought-provoking. As I sat on my couch with my phone & tablet next to me I felt my disconnection from the earth. His point was well made in my house. Thanks Alan.

• Love 7

I once lived in a janky apartment with a mold problem, so my heart aches for Lovely Mitch. Mold is no joke, ugh.

I know Mitch is worried about mold, but really he's just hanging his stuff to dry.  he needs a canopy, a larger fire and a drying pole across the fire.  When things only get semi-dry, they get moldy.  He needs to thoroughly dry everything out.  He has a pretty good shelter, there is a ton of alder that is fast growing and springy all over the place, and more time than they know what to do with.  Build three walls with a roof, cover them with branches to break the wind, and make a drying room.  Sure everything will smell like wood smoke, but its better than mold.

• Love 7
(edited)

And B.O. Don't forget the pungeant B.O! ;)

Nah. Water and sand ClareWalks, water and sand. If Alan says that's sufficient, I believe him. Although I understand that washing in salt water is unpleasant compared to fresh water.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

Abi Maria, she just got back from Cambodia, the next installment. She's such a sweet person, nothing like the editing monkeys made her out to be the first time. I would LOVE Alan, or any of these guys, to be on Survivor. But I'm afraid Probst would demonize them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Where has this show been all my life? I had no idea it existed, but I was on a business trip this week and was idly flipping channels in my hotel room when I came across Alone! I came across the two most recent episodes on Wednesday night and saw a promo for the new episode on Thursday. I'm hooked. I rushed through a business dinner on Thursday to make it back to the hotel to watch. (Don't tell my boss.) Now I have to go back and watch the first ones. (I have read all of your posts, but I NEED to see for myself.)

Just on short acquaintance, I am thoroughly on the Alan love train. Alan? I know you're a happily married man (to the world's luckiest woman), and I am happily in a long-term relationship (with what I consider to be the world's happiest man). But the invitation is open to come north to Pennsylvania, cook for me, sing to me, and recite to me. You, sir, are awesome!

Oh, don't get me wrong. Mitch and Lucas? Love you both, too! Sam's not bad, either. Apparently, I missed the howling. But they didn't show much of Sam (relatively) in the episodes I watched this week. So he's still a little bit unknown to me.

I just want to hug Lucas.

Edited by Bubbacat
  • Love 2

Sam's howling at the wolves didn't bother me because many of the other contestants were already sobbing for their mommies while Sam and his howling showed he was happy and confident and enjoying his surroundings and the animals in it.  I'm glad he has the chops to back up his attitude.

• Love 4

Agree about Sam and the howling. At first I was like "ehhhhhh" but then I realized if I were in the middle of nowhere and nobody could hear me, I'd be screaming some crazy stuff just for fun. It'd be like Michael Scott in The Office, alone in the woods yelling: "IIIIIII HAAAAAVE HEMORRHOOOOOIDS!!!" 

When Alan started his opera singing, I was like "dang, I'd be all over that." I'd probably amuse myself by performing broadway musicals in their entirety. Book of Mormon, anyone?

• Love 4

Probably not, although we've now gotten a naked (although blurred) butt shot... so there's that. :) And having a guy who can quote Poe from memory.... what other reality show gives us such quality entertainment?

• Love 5

When they were showing Alan amusing himself for hours while he waited out the rain in his tent, I began to wonder if this was a prelude to him tapping out.

Not me.  The ways we solitary types deal with solitude is to amuse and engage ourselves.   :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

If it wasn't for Alan riffing for 10 hours the last episode would be about 15 minutes long.

Sam, you would think be the most comfortable in front of a camera because of his age seems to tape the least.

Watching Mitch sink deeper and deeper into a funk is as exciting as watching the mold grow on his clothes.

Lucas canoeing around, taking a fireside bath and his good cry was worth a solid 5 minutes of screen time.

The editors can only show so much rain footage.

The Forrest Gump litany of rain sequences...

Loud rain.

Quiet rain.

Sheets of rain.

Big drops of rain.

Drizzle.

Incoming rain.

Night rain.

Even the bears, cougars and wolves are too bummed to make a cameo.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

The editors can only show so much rain footage.

The Forrest Gump litany of rain sequences...

Loud rain.

Quiet rain.

Sheets of rain.

Big drops of rain.

Drizzle.

Incoming rain.

Night rain.

Even the bears, cougars and wolves are too bummed to make a cameo.

Ever since I left the Pacific Northwest, I've gained an appreciation for rain that now borders on a worshipping adulation.  THAT'S what 30+y ears of SoCal will do to your soul!  Now I feel like we should have 30+ names for rain just as the Inuit did for snow ...

I LOVE rain, and could watch it all day and listen to it all night.

I am sooooo glad that everyone is so in love with Alan (not that I blame you), because that means Lovely Mitch is all mine! The red hair, brown eyes, adorable little girl, very intelligent and smart, knows about mold, does his own laundry, can make a boat, finds fish, brings it home,  and cooks it too, I'll take him! lol

• Love 3

I am sooooo glad that everyone is so in love with Alan (not that I blame you), because that means Lovely Mitch is all mine! The red hair, brown eyes, adorable little girl, very intelligent and smart, knows about mold, does his own laundry, can make a boat, finds fish, brings it home,  and cooks it too, I'll take him! lol

You can have them ALL (# done with men), but especially the redheads/gingies.  I never noticed his hair was reddish ... now I will have to pay even closer attention!  I still like Mitch - in the abstract, of course.

We've discussed the fact that almost all the men were married with children which might make being away for a long period more difficult, but I'm starting to wonder about the location as well. Assuming that the location on Vancouver Island came first, did they go out of their way to select men who would have no experience with - what do you call it? - a Northern rainforest?  I mean I like rain as much as any of you, but rain on 13 of the first 15 days?  That's unbelievably harsh. And it occurs to me that my love of rain and thunderstorms is dependent on the fact that I am safe and dry and looking out.

• Love 4

Living a stone's throw from Alan... our winters here are really crappy. A lot of rain, snow, harsh winds. COLD... butt-cringing cold. There were many nights I've left my faucets running because the temps would be down in single digits. If anyone can deal with it, Alan can. But as you say, the isolation in a tent while it's always raining would get old really quick.

• Love 1
When Alan started his opera singing, I was like "dang, I'd be all over that." I'd probably amuse myself by performing broadway musicals in their entirety. Book of Mormon, anyone?

Ha! When I was a kid I used to act out Les Miserables in its entirety, playing ALL the parts. I told my husband that's exactly what I'd be doing out there. 

I do think Alan is doing the best job of keeping himself entertained. Dude can talk to himself for hours, I'm a lot like that myself. But I don't think I'd make it more than 5 days with that rain. I love a good rain storm, but days on end of that shit? NO thanks. My husband grew up in the PAC NW, and I moved there to be with him. We lived there 3 more years and then ended up moving, we now live in the midwest near my family. That area is so beautiful, but damn, the rain drove me nuts. And I had tv, books, internet, a car and places to go. Just sitting there in that tent, listening to the rain evermore? I'd go mad. In fact, I told my husband one of my survival items would have to be a book! 

He said what they should do is build a large, covered outdoor area. So they could actually stand up and move around, build things, clean tools, etc. and not just have to sit in the cramped tend while it's raining. Knowing my husband, he'd just go out in it! He'd have way more mold than Mitch. 

• Love 3

I really enjoy the way they have been editing this show. Yes, they need to show more of Lovely Mitch and Goofy Sam, but I love how they will skip several days by just showing one guy passing the time. It's surprising and interesting to me. Lucas with his canoe, and Alan with his musings. I hope next episode they show one of the other two guys doing the same thing.

If this show doesn't get an Emmy nomination, it is a disgrace.

• Love 8

He said what they should do is build a large, covered outdoor area. So they could actually stand up and move around, build things, clean tools, etc. and not just have to sit in the cramped tend while it's raining. Knowing my husband, he'd just go out in it! He'd have way more mold than Mitch.

I really think that these guys' moods would improve if they had an outdoor area to move around in.  When we went camping we always had a large tarp that we strung up between the trees.  Then you get a tall post to put in the middle to slope it so the rain runs off.  You put your drying room with a fire at one side, and your shelter with a smaller fire at the other.  That way you have warmth on both sides.  It can be time consuming looking after both fires, but do they really have so much else to do?  Generally though, you just go out in it.  You reach a point where you can't get any wetter sometimes.  Also, much like with cold weather, LAYERING!  A nice thick sweater with a couple of t shirts underneath works really well.  Especially if the sweater is wool.  I don't think I would last out there by myself though, so more power to them for being out there for 3 weeks.

• Love 2

I'd have to find a pet by this point. Nothing major, maybe a frog or a bird. But something to have around to share my day with.

Can't you just see Alan reciting poetry to a real raven?

Maybe Sam has befriended that sea otter by now ...  :-)