Type keyword(s) to search

Another Period - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I just love this show beyond the telling of it. Some of the sexual jokes are a little much for my usual taste, but this show can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes. The casting couldn't be more perfect, the sly satire of the 'olden days' class system that other shows seem to sentimentalize is brilliant, there are tons of hilariously quotable lines, and somehow even (especially?!) the most objectively awful people like Lillian are immensely fun for me to watch. I can't even pick my favorite characters because I enjoy literally all of them so far, which is a sad rarity for me!  

I think the Hortense thing is a running gag and they’re going to do this each season.  This one was great, though.  “Like a Lazarus back from the dead, I’m back, you pieces of shit.”

Glad Dodo is back, too.  Paget was really missed.  

Last season was a mess so I hope they are more cohesive this year

I hated the Houdini episode because Houdini was so anti-spiritualist and worked to expose fake mediums. I would have liked it better if it were Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who was a great believer in Spiritualism, but I would rather see him chasing fairies at Bellacourt Manor, or better yet, Houdini's arch-nemesis, Mina "Marjorie"Crandon and then have Houdini appear to debunk her or even the Fox Sisters could have been really creepy. I still love Peepers and Garfield and I am so happy that Beatrice and Frederick really are twins. Never have I loved a Ritter the way I love Jason Ritter in this show. 

• Love 3

I don't know. I'm sort of cringe-watching this season. Maybe I'm too old for this brand of humor or something. Still think the Beatrice/Frederick twincest is pretty funny, though. I hope we haven't lost Peepers for good, I think he was my favorite.

17 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I don't know. I'm sort of cringe-watching this season. Maybe I'm too old for this brand of humor or something. Still think the Beatrice/Frederick twincest is pretty funny, though. I hope we haven't lost Peepers for good, I think he was my favorite.

Ditto. I'm not enjoying it as much as previous seasons.  Not ready to give it up completely, but I find myself watching it several days later on DVR vs. right away.  I already gave up on "The Detour", so this one is circling the drain for me.

• Love 2

I think this season is miles better than last year.  The show still suffers from having such a large cast, so certain characters are missing from entire episodes, or only shown for a minute or two.

Still, it is a bit of a mixed bag.  Séance and Houdini were awful episodes, but the last two were pretty funny.

I liked the last two episodes as well.  The full on Harlequin sex montage on the boat cracked me up.  And I liked how Frederick and Beatrice didn't recognize one another so their affair reignited.  And it was wrong but I Lillian's story had me in stitches as well.

• Love 2

The new Hortense is the fantastic  Donna Lynne Champlin from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. (Which you should also be watching, another twisted comedy created by women.)

I'm enjoying season 3 more than 2 so far. The Olympics episode was perfect.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

Blanche has always been the punching bag of the Bellacourt estate, but seeing her dragged off to the asylum again after losing Murray wasn't funny.  Poor woman can't catch a break.  

Although Alfred and Victor are funny, their plotlines are usually the weakest.  Only one I liked was when they were trying to live together and arguing about what to have for dinner.

They're not gonna follow up with the Peepers plot from last week?  Or Flobelle trying to be in charge?

• Love 1

I feel like this show has lost its zeal.  It's all over the place.  Plots get dropped and picked up weeks later (or just ignored) and some regular castmembers just don't show up for several episodes.

Also, I miss it when Albert was actually nice.  You can tell he's lived with the silver spoon in his mouth, but at least he was compassionate.  Now he's just as shallow and cruel as Victor.  

• Love 1

Guys, Comedy Central really sat on this third season for a long time. Season 2 aired during the summer of 2016. I had deleted series record off my DVR because I figured it had been cancelled. When a show isn't on for over a year, it's probably not coming back. I was surprised to see the tail end of an episode a couple weeks ago and had to catch up on On Demand. Now they're burning them off back to back. I don't like its chances of getting renewed again.

Don’t know why CC waited so long.  Isn’t the success of the show partially due to the popularity of Drunk History?  I think AP will be ok as long as DH is airing.  

Eh about the drug plot.  The jail stuff would have been funnier, especially with Blanche actually showing authority.

I knew O'Kelly was going to Overboard Lillian as soon as I saw him standing outside the asylum. No one in their right mind would want to rely on her domestic skills. She can't cook or clean. She can't bathe or dress herself. And she apparently doesn't know how to use the toilet. There's got to be a prostitute that he could wife up and get more use out of.

• Love 1

Isn’t the success of the show partially due to the popularity of Drunk History?

But they didn't pair it with with Drunk History and they burned off the last four episodes by airing them back to back. It doesn't really seem like they have much investment in the show anymore. Both Jason Ritter and Donna Lynne Champlin are on other shows. I'm guessing this season was filmed before Ritter started filming Kevin Probably Saves the World, so back in early 2017 sometime and after Champlin had finished filming Season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. That's an awful long time to sit on a season of shows.

The obvious parallel of Frederick as Trump was amusing, nonetheless. But Kerttrussel showing Lillian how to wipe her ass was something I could have done without. Still, I always get a kick out of this show, I'd be sorry to see it go. Seems like there are still an awful lot of loose threads to tie up.

I was excited about this season, especially about my favorite Donna Lynne Champlin as Hortense, but the second or third episode was so awkwardly unfunny that I stopped watching altogether. 

I did watch the final 2 or 3 episodes yesterday and they had gotten a little better again. I always love MIB as Peepers, and his descriptions of Dodo's different scowls were cracking me up. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm guessing this season was filmed before Ritter started filming Kevin Probably Saves the World, so back in early 2017 sometime and after Champlin had finished filming Season 2 of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. That's an awful long time to sit on a season of shows.

I found an article that said they wrote it in the Fall of 2016.  Paget Brewster also had a network show and she was on this current season a lot so I wonder if they filmed at some point during the summer of 2017. 

And they did pair it with Drunk History, which also came back a little later this year.   I think the reason they burned off Another Period is because they split the Drunk History season in half.

That said, ratings are about half of what they were the last time it aired.  Maybe it's because of when it aired during the year but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come back.

The show is definitely on the bubble.  On Twitter, Paget was encouraging people to watch and that none of the actors are actually contracted to the show, they're all "guests".  Given that they may have been burning off the last few eps, the season finale could definitely serve as a series finale.  Lillian finally gets the fame she wants. Dodo admits her love for Peepers, and Frederick and Beatrice say to hell with it and date in public.  Forgot baby Murray was even missing in the first place.

Ending it would suck.  They had some lame plotlines, but this season was stronger than last year's, imo.  I would like to see more of the show and see more of the downstairs staff.