Type keyword(s) to search

S19: Derek Hough

• Start Topic

Some of us (elsewhere) were discussing Derek a few nights ago. So I'll pose the question here and maybe those better versed in Derek's career can inform.

Has Derek ever been hired to choreograph anything, for anyone other than himself  or any project, outside of DWTS or DWTS-related?

We know he choreographed a paso doble for a Cheryl Cole music video (who he was allegedly dating at the time).

He had some involvement with Misty Copeland for an invitation-only event, though I doubt he choreographed a ballet for her.

We know now, despite the pr innuendo, that he did not choreograph anything for Meryl & Charlie's Olympic short routine. As someone at TWOP aptly put it, it was just a "mutually beneficial networking opportunity".

He did not choreograph for his movie.

Mark hired Derek to direct but not choreograph 2 music videos (All For Nothing and Get My Name) but Mark wrote the detailed treatment for Derek to follow and got assistance from others for the choreography.

For all the accolades Derek has received, what has he done choreographically beyond DWTS and choreographing for himself?

Edited by Uke

The piece he did for Misty was pretty much the Paso-inspired one he did on the show (Ameska). With what looks like some pointe work from Misty thrown in: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4IjqsWvEqo

So here's my experience with Derek. I was a casual watcher of the show because I used to be a big fan of Apolo Ohno - and got started watching that. Then I coundn't stand it, because I thought it got cheesy and horrible, and I remember finding Derek and Mark completely insufferable. And I didn't watch for many years. And then, at some point, I saw some piece of Derek's choreography - a Macy's dance, I don't remember which one, and remember thinking, huh - that twirpy guy got interesting. And I started paying more casual attention. And then I tuned in last season to watch Meryl & Charlie and fell in love with Derek's partnership with Amy, and started watching old DWTS episodes on YouTube, and here I am. 

So that's all to say I'm now a decent Derek fan, but I haven't always been, and I've been mostly out of the show so I really don't understand some of the deep seeded bitterness fans on all sides have towards some of the pros on the show. And here's my take on Derek's choreography prowess: He's still at the start of his choreography career. I think he'd be wise to transition from more performing to more behind the scenes, but he hasn't completely made that move yet. Has he gotten some great early accolades? Yes. Has he made great industry connections (NappyTabs, Kenny Ortega, etc)? Yes. But yes, he's far from an established choreographer - it's too soon for that. It's also too soon to call him a flop. I'd say the next few years will probably be telling in how well he's able to transition into other things beyond the show. 

That said, is the PR team for the show going to play up those early accolades? Of bloody course they're going to, they're going to spin that as hard as they can, to prove their show gets nominated for Emmy's. That's the way the business works. If your PR source is the DWTS PR team - yes they'll say he's the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed - he's gotten them an Emmy, several nominations, and lots of good press. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1

Dancingjaneway, on 30 Sept 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:
" I also think the reason why he stays with this show is because he knows that if he ever went out and tried to get a job somewhere else they would call him on his crap and he probably wouldn't be the star he is now. This show has catered to his ego and he better hope this show never gets cancelled. "

What is the crap they would call him on? I think he is a good choreographer.  I don't think any of the praise he gets is unjustified or undeserved. If the praise was spread around a bit more or other dancers were highlighted as much as he is, many of the complainers would have no problem with Derek and his obvious talent.

Edited by comosedice
  • Love 5
We know now, despite the pr innuendo, that he did not choreograph anything for Meryl & Charlie's Olympic short routine. As someone at TWOP aptly put it, it was just a "mutually beneficial networking opportunity".

I looked this up and I didn't see anything that said he straight up choreographed the routine.  Just that he helped; he worked with them.  Which means that he probably gave his input on things.  The above comment makes it sound like he didn't do anything at all.  Just that he decided to use that as a "mutually beneficial networking opportunity".

From the episode thread:

I love how these two women in particular are trotted out as proof as Derek's "challenging" partners. Very telling. And pointing out any favoritism Derek receives always leads to automatic finger pointing at Mark, and now recently Val.

It is not finger pointing to state what is a fact. It is constantly stated that Derek has never gotten a 70 year old or some very difficult reality star and the fact is neither has Mark or Val. That is the simple truth and the fact of the matter is the reason it is ignored with them is simply because they haven't won as much as he has. As for bringing up Amber and Ricky Lake and Lil' Kim, well yes they did provide challenges. All challenges aren't necessarily age.

As talented as Amber was, there were things she was hampered by because of her size as was Ricki. Also, Lil' Kim's reputation and the perception people had of her was a challenge on a show that requires people to like you enough to vote for you. Michael Waltrip this season is proof positive of how important a big voting base is.

So yes, it is a challenge for a Pro to work with a celebrity who despite their abilities may not be liked by the viewers and deliver routines that are good and fun enough that it gets some people who weren't initially fans to like and vote for her. And for the record, in my opinion Nicole was a challenge too. Yes she was a phenomenal dancer but she was also pretentious, self important idiot half the time.

or a Paralympic medal-winning athlete is not the same as getting Cloris Leachman or Billy Dee Williams.

And those two prosthetic legs?  Came attached to a world class athlete who is still young and competing.

So just to be clear, apparently Amy was in no way a challenge for Derek simply because she wasn't 70 and was an Olympian? Interesting...someone should have told Lolo Jones and Ali that apparently being an Olympian automatically makes you a good dancer. Amy was not a challenge for Derek - Amy who did not have legs was not a challenge because well, she wasn't old and she was an Olympian. Yeah I think this is officially the point where I realize this is just a no win discussion. 

And this is exactly why I wanted Derek to take a break from this show because of the frankly at this point deja vu comments. I bet if Tony had gotten Amy I would have read ad nauseum about how he always gets those difficult challenges and Derek never gets them. But because she did amazing and turned out to have some ability, suddenly it doesn't matter that she had two prosphetic legs because she was an Olympian. Sure, it was no challenge to every week figure out which legs could work with the dance, figure out how to get her to move her hips and upper body to achieve movement that typically was achieved through the ankles, heels and feet. Yes none of that was a challenge because apparently only having a celebrity of the senior citizen variety counts as a challenge.

Nevermind that what Derek did with Amy, no other Pro has accomplished ever on the show other than Jonathan who danced with Heather Mills who had one prosphetic leg. But yes, that does not count because she wasn't 70. Thing is, I have a feeling even if Derek is given a much older woman, unless she is pretty much as hopeless as Michael there will still be complaints. If she does well and gets good scores, the same cries will start up again - "she's being overscored because of course, she's with Derek; she's not actually dancing; well she was a dancer 50 years ago so it's not like she didn't have some skills."

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

That's probably why the show tries to make sure that Derek sticks around as long as possible.   He's talented and creative, and his own fanbase is huge.  He brings in viewers.   It's not really cheating when they favor him, since the competition itself doesn't really mean a whole lot.   It's the entertainment value they want, which Derek brings in spades.

I wish they would put Derek in some official capacity where he can show off his choreo, but not let him have a celeb.  As it is, right now the show wants to have it both ways -- he brings in viewers, but they score him way out of where he actually is.

When Derek has had problem partners, he's always danced around them, and gotten high scores for doing so.  

• Love 2

Frankly, even though I can recognize Derek's obvious talent and the fact that he has a following, I'm tired of watching him.    Variety is entertaining, and it would be nice to see some of the other also very talented pros get some of the recognition and opportunity to take their contestants to the final rounds.    

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 1

I wish they would put Derek in some official capacity where he can show off his choreo, but not let him have a celeb.  As it is, right now the show wants to have it both ways -- he brings in viewers, but they score him way out of where he actually is.

When Derek has had problem partners, he's always danced around them, and gotten high scores for doing so.  

I think they prop him to high heaven, and I think it's why there are fans who hate him because it seems unfair. Well, it is unfair, but there's little that's even intended to be fair on any reality show and this one is no exception.

I think Derek doesn't want to be a behind-the-scenes choreographer.  I think he still has dreams of breaking out and being an Astaire or a Gene Kelly. I'm not sure anybody can do that anymore - maybe Patrick Swayze came close, but that was years ago too. It was frustrating to hear that Julianne wanted to give up dancing to follow her "real" love, singing, and then when that didn't go just right, this true passion transformed to a desire to be an actress. She just wants to be famous. Fabulously famous. Any way will do (like panel judging on a reality show.)

I fear that's what Derek wants too and he isn't really driven by love of art for its own sake. I'm not sure his choreography would hold up to Fosse or Ballanchine or any of the big names but I guess we'll see. He acted on the West End stage, had a pop/rock band or two with Mark, did a singing concert last year at some race track (sort of in the Michael Buble' style), he starred in the straight-to-dvd flop fim Make Your Move or whatever and his acting was skewered much as Julianne's has been, he said he had better things to do and was leaving DWTS but that lasted about five minutes; who knows where he'll end up, but at the moment, it doesn't look to be on the Astaire or even Tommy Tune or Swayze trajectory. Not even Mia Michaels.

What the hell will he do when DWTS ends? Be a fixture in Vegas? Or more likely, Branson, in a brother and sister act.  Which I guess would be appropriate, Astaire and sister started out that way on Vaudeville - but in Derek's case, is it the end game?  It mostly was for Donny and Marie (other than advertizing weight loss companies and doing the modern-day equivalent of Love Boat episodes by guesting on Strictly Come Dancing and such)

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

From the episode thread:

It is not finger pointing to state what is a fact. It is constantly stated that Derek has never gotten a 70 year old or some very difficult reality star and the fact is neither has Mark or Val. That is the simple truth and the fact of the matter is the reason it is ignored with them is simply because they haven't won as much as he has. As for bringing up Amber and Ricky Lake and Lil' Kim, well yes they did provide challenges. All challenges aren't necessarily age.

As talented as Amber was, there were things she was hampered by because of her size as was Ricki. Also, Lil' Kim's reputation and the perception people had of her was a challenge on a show that requires people to like you enough to vote for you. Michael Waltrip this season is proof positive of how important a big voting base is.

So yes, it is a challenge for a Pro to work with a celebrity who despite their abilities may not be liked by the viewers and deliver routines that are good and fun enough that it gets some people who weren't initially fans to like and vote for her. And for the record, in my opinion Nicole was a challenge too. Yes she was a phenomenal dancer but she was also pretentious, self important idiot half the time.

So just to be clear, apparently Amy was in no way a challenge for Derek simply because she wasn't 70 and was an Olympian? Interesting...someone should have told Lolo Jones and Ali that apparently being an Olympian automatically makes you a good dancer. Amy was not a challenge for Derek - Amy who did not have legs was not a challenge because well, she wasn't old and she was an Olympian. Yeah I think this is officially the point where I realize this is just a no win discussion.

And this is exactly why I wanted Derek to take a break from this show because of the frankly at this point deja vu comments. I bet if Tony had gotten Amy I would have read ad nauseum about how he always gets those difficult challenges and Derek never gets them. But because she did amazing and turned out to have some ability, suddenly it doesn't matter that she had two prosphetic legs because she was an Olympian. Sure, it was no challenge to every week figure out which legs could work with the dance, figure out how to get her to move her hips and upper body to achieve movement that typically was achieved through the ankles, heels and feet. Yes none of that was a challenge because apparently only having a celebrity of the senior citizen variety counts as a challenge.

Nevermind that what Derek did with Amy, no other Pro has accomplished ever on the show other than Jonathan who danced with Heather Mills who had one prosphetic leg. But yes, that does not count because she wasn't 70. Thing is, I have a feeling even if Derek is given a much older woman, unless she is pretty much as hopeless as Michael there will still be complaints. If she does well and gets good scores, the same cries will start up again - "she's being overscored because of course, she's with Derek; she's not actually dancing; well she was a dancer 50 years ago so it's not like she didn't have some skills."

Mark and Val haven't had difficult reality stars? how about difficult "personalities" that aren't even stars in Bristol Palin and Elisabetta Cannalis? Derek has never had to deal with one of those types. the closest comparison I would think would be Joanna Krupa, but if she gave him a hard time, they sure didn't show it.

Amber was a HUGE fanbase ringer, regardless of her size. and her size didn't hinder her much.

I think you have to compare stars given on a certain season. Derek had ricki season 13, and on paper, no she wasn't great. in actuality she wasn't great but he masked that and they still got good scores and 3rd place. but compare her to the other female stars of that season. Kristin cavalarri? no fanbase, known as horrid person (even though she didn't display that on dwts), getting nowhere. not even marks fanbase could save her. hope solo? probably they thought she would be good, but also about her bad attitude. Elisabetta? we've covered her. chynna Phillips? nostalgia factor, but not much. Nancy grace? yeah, right.

so, out of those celebs, ricki was probably tops when you think of who will have a good personality, be able to move, etc.

I do think Amy was a challenge for Derek. I agree there. especially w Meryl and Danica and Candace in the cast. season 18 is the only season I agree that Derek wasn't handed one of the top picks. even though I'm pretty sure the producers counted her inspirational story as a pretty big perk.

I think Derek is a sensational dancer, and a brilliant choreographer. there's no denying that. but I'm tired of him. if the same team won the Super Bowl or the World Series all the time i'd get tired of them, too. Derek has never finished lower than 6th, I think, and that was way back in season 6. he's nearly always in the finale. it's boring. extremely boring. I'd say the same of any of the pros if they were there that much. I'm so happy that Cheryl is likely done with the show. it's time, it's been almost ten years. I'm glad Maks is gone. let some new blood take over. look at what a breath of fresh air Witney is.

Derek keeps saying that he wants bigger things. his hardcore fans keep screaming that he's a star, a genius, the best there is. then why won't he leave a cheesy little dance show? go get his big things and leave dwts alone.

Edited by pumpkinspice
  • Love 3

Mark and Val haven't had difficult reality stars? <snip so this post isn't a mile long>

... Derek keeps saying that he wants bigger things. his hardcore fans keep screaming that he's a star, a genius, the best there is. then why won't he leave a cheesy little dance show? go get his big things and leave dwts alone.

First, there is no one and nothing that's ever been on the show that's even remotely comparable to being partnered with BP and all that went down during S11.  Elisabetta? Joanna? Even Kate and Hope, piece of cake by comparison.  I wouldn't wish that on any pro.

As for Derek, at this point I really don't think it matters who he's paired with.  It seems to have started back in S13 after he took a break in S12.  Suddenly Derek was being "judged" differently.  He was being held up as this "brilliant" choreographer.  Even though viewers could clearly see the tricks and masking he was using to hide his partners' weaknesses, somehow the judges couldn't (or wouldn't) and would rave over the performances. Scoring got oddly higher compared to what others were doing.  Judges comments started being more about Derek than about his partner.  Viewers started getting the impression his partners were being pushed into the finals to keep Derek on for a full 9 or 10 weeks. 

Yes, once or twice a season, a judge would give him a verbal rap on the knuckles but he'd usually get an excellent score regardless.  Derek started realizing he could get away with alot more than others and started taking more risks. That usually resulted in more praise.  Derek was being made into the "face" of DWTS. He was seen more in tv ads. His dances got more air time on GMA.  He gets top score of the night and it gets raved about on ABC affiliate news shows while others getting a top score are lucky to get a mention, etc.

I think DWTS was looking for a break-out star among the pros and decided Derek would be the one.  A good looking, non-controversial, golden boy who looks young enough to attract the attention of the young demo DWTS wants so badly.  Yes, Derek is a fantastic dancer and an imaginative choreographer. The best in the world of dance, no.  

Yes Derek keeps saying he's got all these big projects in the works. But he also has a tendency to ricochet like a pinball in a pinball machine.  I think he's searching now for a career path outside of DWTS. Who knows, maybe the dance tour will satisfy for a while (or while his body holds up).  I've always thought he has an eye for photography.  But for right now, DWTS is really his only source for fame and he's smart to hang on for as long as he can or at least until he can get something else launched.

• Love 3

And apparently their entire 11 week run encompassed one dance. Ah yes Amy never danced because in one week a stool was used in her dance and in another week a table. Two props over 11 weeks and that means she never danced. Like I said, it really is a no win discussion when it comes to the topic of Derek, so best to just agree to disagree and move on.

I have to say though, for as much as some rant about wanting him gone, I am fascinated to know what people will talk and rant about if he does leave the show. As they say, nothing bonds people more than a common enemy. If Derek ever does leave, I wonder which Pro will be lucky to be the recipient of all the conspiracy theories and cries of unfairness.

Even though viewers could clearly see the tricks and masking he was using to hide his partners' weaknesses,

Like this is something that will never make sense to me. How is it bad or wrong to minimize your celebrity's weaknesses as much as possible while highlighting their strengths? And if his choreography was "hiding" their weaknesses, then were the judges' scores so unfair if they're not seeing said weaknesses and instead only seeing the strengths he chooses to highlight. 

I guess in my opinion, some will forever point at "tricks, props, overscoring, conspiracy, favoritism, etc." for why Derek started doing consistently well no matter what celebrity he was given without ever acknowledging or just considering, that maybe, just maybe, it's because he is a talented choreographer but more importantly, at some point he figured out the strategy for winning this show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

All Derek's partenrs are considered props. Look at Betheny, can you believe she's second on the leaderboard (After Alfonso)? Do you remeber her dancing? I don't. I remember Derek dancing with a prop tho.

All his partners get pimped by judges becasue they judge Derek not his partners. his parners are never ever judged.i never hear judges comment on this or that technique when it comes to Derek's partners. Their comments revolve whether they like it or really really really love what Derek choreographed. And that's how they score too.

And no, Amy wasn't a challenge for him. not only she was pimped by judges, her core strength was unbelievable. And that's all i remember from her. Just like the others...she was Derek's prop.

is that fair? Nothing is fair on this show.

• Love 3

I think Derek is a very talented dancer and choreographer.

But IMO at some point he became the "face" of the show. Which is absolutely tied to his talent, so good for him. The consequences of that are that (at least in some people's opinion) he gets to skate when it comes to breaking rules, which celebrities he's given, hiding his partner's weaknesses, dancing around partners etc. When another pro tries to do the same things Derek gets away with, they get murdered by the judges for it.

I do think some of the conspiracy theories that try to minimize how good Derek is (and he's very, very good) are silly, but it's understandable backlash since IMO the show pushes for him way too hard. As some other posters said, the judges basically not really talking about the celeb he's dancing with anymore, but only about how super awesome Derek is can get very grating. And it should be about the celeb. But the truth is, Bethany is no celeb, Derek is much more famous than she is. So it makes sense that their focus is solely on him from a PR point of view. If that's good for the show itself...don't know. At least it creates a massive power imbalance.

• Love 4
All Derek's partenrs are considered props.

So just to be clear, his partners being props mean they don't actually dance and aren't doing anything? Really - Nicole Scherzinger was a prop, Brooke Burke, Amber Riley, Kellie Pickler, Shawn Johnson, etc. None of these women were impressive on any level in their own right but were all simply props that Derek led around? Okay then... 

All his partners get pimped by judges becasue they judge Derek not his partners. his parners are never ever judged.i never hear judges comment on this or that technique when it comes to Derek's partners.

Amber got criticized multiple times in the early weeks of the competition for her footwork, when after getting 9's the first week, she got only 8's the next two weeks and Corbin and Elizabeth and others were outscoring her. When her knees became a major issue, the judges called out her limited movement in some of the dances. They also commented on her arms at times, all things she worked on. But when her scores improved, some never acknowledged any improvement in her - instead the accusations that Derek was dragging her across the floor began, she was being overscored to make sure Derek was in the final and well she was a ringer anyway so it's not like she deserved to win. 

Kellie Pickler got criticized by the judges, particularly Carrie Ann for her lack of fluidity and lack of emotion at times in her performances. Bethany this season so far - Carrie Ann, Bruno and Julianne all nitpicked things she had to work on after her first dance, after her Rumba, Bruno again noted that she needed to completely finish her movements from one section of the dance to another. For her Tango they focused on her frame and hold and talked about her recovering from the slip.

Really it's utterly hyperbolic to say that Derek's celebrities never get criticized or judged on their dancing and all the judges comments are directed at him and praising him. And once again this is why I just feel like this a bit redundant at this point. Some of the hyperbole about Derek and the show's supposed massive conspiracy towards him is just frankly outrageous and over the top. But it is what it is and like I said, I am very interested to see what some folks will talk about if he does leave the show.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I am not seeing a season-to-season trend among the judges to minimize Derek's partners and focus on Derek.  To me Derek and all his talent certainly did not overshadow Kellie Pickler and Amber Riley.  Amy Purdy, if only because her constant whining and soap opera scripting, also was not overshadowed by Derek.

I can buy into Derek overshadowing his partner this season because despite Bethany being a good dancer and an attractive girl, and even having a moderate level of presence and charisma, she is not enough of a force for the judges, who themselves are doing what it takes to make their camera time count, to be yammering on and on about.  I am assuming that Bethany has "something," given that she is labeled a youtube sensation which I doubt is easily achieved given that pretty much anyone with moderate computing / av skills can be on youtube, but as a DWTS contestant she is not a commanding presence.

Edited by quinn
  • Love 1
I think they prop him to high heaven, and I think it's why there are fans who hate him because it seems unfair. Well, it is unfair, but there's little that's even intended to be fair on any reality show and this one is no exception.

This is my problem with Derek and it has been for several seasons.  I don't deny he's talented, but I think he's more of a master producer than a master choreographer.  He can take bits of pieces of dances that he's seen and make them suit his partner, and present them in a way that fits the show and will have the average viewer convinced they've seen a masterpiece. It doesn't matter if the judges don't comment on missed steps, or a lack of steps by his partner, because most viewers don't see that and will be swayed by the judges' comments. But I love the technicalities of dance and I do see the mistakes and it  irritates when those mistakes aren't mentioned.  

Derek really is the best pro at staging his dances to match the situation.  I understand why the show is pushing him but I still don't like it.  For the most part, I don't favor any pros and judge any partnership by how they do that season.  Unfortunately, Derek is the only pro I cannot do that with.  I cannot judge him or is partner objectively because of my perceived favoritism towards him.  I liked Derek during his first few seasons, and I defended him for his "demented lines" comment.  I remember the awesome job he did with Brooke when he would stick with the rules of the dance. Then he started doing Broadway-style numbers instead of the ballroom style he'd been assigned. The judges would criticize, then give them the highest scores of the night, and that dance would be all over ABC the next day.  I sensed collusion, and it turned me off. 

ITA with the comment upthread about Julianne just wanting to be famous and Derek possibly following in her footsteps.  When Derek was in his band, wasn't he saying that music was his first love?  I get that same vibe.  (Anyone watching Nashville? haha)  At the same time, I can't say as I blame him.  If he has the opportunity, why not?  It's just that my heart was in the ballroom dancing with this show, and I've always enjoyed the ballroom pros and their special expertise. I was not a fan of Lacey or Allison being on the show for the same reason.  Most of these pros teach or take classes during the off season and are still perfecting their skills. I've never had the impression that Derek does that unless it's some performance that he is doing.. 

I don't dislike Derek personally, but I strongly dislike what the show has become the last few years, and for me, the push of all things Derek is a big part of that downward spiral. 

• Love 2

If internet forum popularity (or lack of it, in this case) was truly reflective of Derek's voter popularity or the size of his fanbase, he would never win a mirror ball trophy.  Just as Maks would never have won the MBT last year.  Or, to use the example of another show, I always thought it was amusing on TWOP's American Idol forums that Carrie Underwood had a lower number of comments in her thread than any other winner of that show.  Actually, she had far less forum interest than many contestants who were only third or fourth place runner-ups in their seasons.  If someone tried to gauge Carrie Underwood's popularity based on fan board activity and comments, she would have been a bigger commercial flop than Lee Dewyze (season 9 winner).    I see Derek the same way. 

• Love 1

Please cut out the subliminal "you are an idiot if you think that but OK" stuff. It's annoying to read and also mean.

Derek's work on the show is the topic please and the argument about other dancers being props is now done. Unless Derek actually uses someone as an umbrella or something, then you can talk about it.

• Love 2

Spoiler image for tonight: I like to think Derek is epically trolling people who complain about chairs in his performances http://instagram.com/p/vMuyLPD0T3 (If so - amazing.) 

My opinion: This looks like it's going to be awesome & gorgeous. I love Derek's Argentine Tangos, and Tony is great at them as well. Viennese Walzes are also some of my favorites, and I love the song they have. Per Derek's blog they're going simple with the waltz, which sounds like a good balance if they have more of a production with the tango. 

• Love 1
Spoiler image for tonight: I like to think Derek is epically trolling people who complain about chairs in his performances http://instagram.com/p/vMuyLPD0T3 (If so - amazing.)

I honestly think he just doesn't care. I don't know Derek personally and while I'm sure all the Pros probably read a few things about themselves, I doubt he is obsessing about what a bunch of nameless people have to say about him on random message boards. So I think he simply focuses on the task at hand, comes up with his ideas and goes for it, knowing that some will like it and some won't. 

I honestly think he just doesn't care. I don't know Derek personally and while I'm sure all the Pros probably read a few things about themselves, I doubt he is obsessing about what a bunch of nameless people have to say about him on random message boards. So I think he simply focuses on the task at hand, comes up with his ideas and goes for it, knowing that some will like it and some won't. 

Oh totally, I'm joking. I absolutely think he doesn't care or really pay attention at all, I just find it hilarious that that staging is epically the most amount chairs you could ever pack onto the dance floor. (It also looks amazing.) 

Edited by kitcloudkicker

Derek Hough: Why He Won't Appear on Dancing with the Stars This Spring  

Dancing with the Stars won't have as much spring in its step when it returns for its 20th anniversary in March.

Five-time winner Derek Hough has to bow out of the next installment of the ABC show because he'll play the male lead in New York Spring Spectacular at Radio City Music Hall this spring.

http://www.people.com/article/derek-hough-leaves-dancing-with-the-stars-radio-city-music-hall