Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E05: An Open Book

• Start Topic

Jen, Bill, Will and Zoey are in New York City for a few days where both Jen and Bill have appointments with the orthopedic surgeon who operated on Bill's spine, as well as a meeting with the publishers of their new book.

SUCH a great teaser, iamkarski!  I loved the Fathers' Day video that played right after this one, too - it brought tears to my eyes.  So much love ...

Same here! I must've watched it a thousand times.

• Love 1

I hated seeing Will be so mean to his daddy during painting. He is getting worse with his behavior. Then hitting Bills legs, head butting and snatching the book from Jen. This kid is aweful and in contrast to Zoey. Shes funny and wint be bullied and i think she wont be ignored either, she made me laugh when Will didnt want her in his room,shes so smart;she put his boat decal upside down, she took his book so no one could reach her, calling for daddy she knows he cant resist his baby girl she says babby, lol i mean Zoey needs her own show forget Dora the explorer.

• Love 2

Oh Jen, as a doctor you know that going out in the rain can't make you sick.  I'm disappointed in you.

Did I really hear Zoey say "Oh my gosh, seriously!"?   Yes, I did and it was the cutest thing ever.

• Love 7
(edited)

Zoey being so assertive about her "work" was priceless. She really is taking after her Mommy it seems, heh.

But I could hardly breathe from laughing so hard when I heard Zoey's "Oh my gosh. Seriously" when Bill kept interfering with her "work". Bill just got his first taste of his baby girl as a pre-teen/teenager methinks, heh; that was just too fantastic for words really.

Just when I think these kids have reached the highest level of cute imaginable, they just go that much higher up the scale.

Their speech is improving so much the subtitles are becoming less and less necessary all the time, imo.

I personally just love that Will is finally able to express himself with his words. He so often has so much to say, and I can only think that those first few years with his hearing and lagging speech skills so many thoughts and feelings and emoticons were trapped because he just couldn't yet get them out the way he wanted to - his speech therapist truly deserves a hearty bit of praise because, to me, she really helped Will find his voice.

Zoey giving out fist bumps at the table in the restaurant was so sweet and cute. Even if Will got a touch carried away, heh. 

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 6

I can remember when Will couldn't pronounce Zoey.  He said it like "OZoy".  Now he's saying sentences like "I need to take all this food back to my hotel".

• Love 6

He is speaking in short sentences but I think it is still difficult to understand him without the subtitles. He is trying to communicate the best he can. He is learning to spell his name which is really great. I do not think Will was really impressed with the library but TLC does a good job of showcasing interesting highlights in the cities they visit.

You know having this show on before Kate Plus 8 really showed me how much I truly love this family. I love the normal family outings! I love the normal parenting dillemas like Zoey trying to eat her markers. Zoey and Will really win the prize on the cutest tv kids! Zoey saying "Oh My Gosh, Seriously..." Might have been the cutest thing I've heard all day. Ah Bill thanks for making me sad talking about all the bullies and you contemplating suicide. I'll kick those penny throwers ass for ya!!!

• Love 9

Has anyone else read the book?  I have and really enjoyed it.  Of course I knew some things, but I learned a lot about their childhoods.  Gave me a new appreciation for them and especially for their parents.

• Love 3

Has anyone else read the book?  I have and really enjoyed it.  Of course I knew some things, but I learned a lot about their childhoods.  Gave me a new appreciation for them and especially for their parents.

I've read it too, and I totally agree with you. It's obvious that Bill and Jen learned to love from their parents' example.

• Love 4

I spy with my little eye..

A copy of "Growing up Duggar" in the background of the SImon and Schuster Office.  I guess all these TLC personalities use the same publishers.  

It was pretty sad hearing about Will's difficulties in college.  People can really suck sometimes.  

• Love 3

I felt so bad for poor Will when the librarian got him all excited for the teddy bear, which turned out to be a decrepit looking stuffed animal in a glass case that he couldn't even touch or play with. Talk about a letdown. I think he was done with the library after that.

Zoe's "seriously" was hilarious.

I'm glad the kids got to spend the day with Bill's parents, however I didn't like Bill's mom badgering Zoe to kiss her. I don't like it when adults force children to give affection they're clearly uncomfortable with. I know she didn't mean any harm, but it bothered me.

• Love 3

I hope the penny-throwers and bullies are watching how successful Bill has become.  It would be a big "screw you" to the lot of them.

They say the best revenge is living well.  Bill has the absolute love and admiration of a wonderful wife and two beautiful children (not to mention an extended family who also adore him).  No success in the world could trump that.

• Love 9

I don't like when adults force children to say I love you to people who while technically are family members are people the kids have met like twice.  

Oh My Gosh.  Seriously?   I laughed so hard.   Really.

I felt bad for Zoey that she felt too bad to go to the library.   Zoey has run off for quiet time with a book a couple of times this season.  I think she is a person who really enjoys books even before she can read them so I think she would have dug the library more than Will.  

Seriously, the sailboats looked like fun.  I get that Will wasn't old enough to really get how they worked but I totally wanted to do it, and I wanted a Captain's hat?   What's that?  I'm almost Bill's age?  Eh.   You are never too old for a Captain's hat.

Next week is the finale?   Already?  I'm super stoked that clearly these kids are getting a lot of time away from filming, but I'm sad for me that Will and Zoey entertainment is over for a while.

• Love 4
(edited)

Next week is the finale? Already? I'm super stoked that clearly these kids are getting a lot of time away from filming, but I'm sad for me that Will and Zoey entertainment is over for a while.

What?!?! Finale already? I'm just warming up. Newayz, it is for the best interest of Will and Zoey so that's fine. On my part, I can always watch the re-runs on TLC. Well, that is if they show it again here in Southeast Asia because currently LPBW [aka the Roloffs] is airing.

Edited by iamkarski
  • Love 3

Well, that is if they show it again here in Southeast Asia because currently the Roloff's are airing.

My condolences.  ;-)

So many smiles, and a few tears this episode.  When Bill was talking about wanting to take any hurt or pain from his wife and kids :   "... just cut me to pieces, and let my family be fine" - I bawled like a baby.  There is no pain greater than watching someone (or, I guess, something, if that's how you refer to an animal) suffering in any way.  I know just how he feels.

LMAO at Bill's "sleeping on a bench" references.  Too funny.  Being bullied or ostracized in any way is painful, and those scars last a lifetime.  But when one can find humor in adversity, one becomes a human being.

I could gush on and on.  Maybe later - I'm off to donate my brain EEG to science today (be afraid, people; be very, very afraid!)  :-D

• Love 4

Zoey is a wicked mimic, much to our delight.

Her typing with downcast eyes, flat fingers and not doing the "hunt and peck" method showed the sophistication of her humor.

Declaring to her dad to not to touch "her work" is what she has heard from Bill/Jen countless times.

Delivering her zingers with a straight face and a subtle comedic flair is golden.

Bill must be delighted to have kids that are funnier than he is.

• Love 12
They wrote the book because they want the money that it generates.

Of course there's financial gain to consider. But having read the book, I have no doubt that it will inspire some folks, and maybe even save a few lives. Bill's college story was pretty moving.

And I, for one, still can't get past the fact that Jen has achieved everything she has professionally despite being 3 feet tall. Not to be dismissive of anyone's physical challenges, but Jen isn't just little; she's very, very little. During her formative years, she couldn't possibly have made a single decision without it having been impacted by that limitation.

I have no illusions that anyone is perfect, but I'm inclined to believe they wrote the book to share and inspire. I'm certain the money is nice, too, but they'd undoubtedly be financially healthy without it.

• Love 13
And I, for one, still can't get past the fact that Jen has achieved everything she has professionally despite being 3 feet tall. Not to be dismissive of anyone's physical challenges, but Jen isn't just little; she's very, very little.

And I believe last night that she's had 30 surgeries over her lifetime.  That, to me, is significant.  She has worked through what must have been a lot of pain and inconvenience to achieve her position.  It's not like you can do your clinical rotations while in rehab.  Even without reading the book, seeing what they have both accomplished with their physical challenges is an inspiration.

And this is from someone who had a knee replacement 2 months again and is still limping around and complaining about the inconvenience of PT and pain!

• Love 9

Yeah, that's a very black and white way to look at it.

You can want to do something because it helps others and because it brings some financial security.  Doctors can enjoy their occupation because they are helping others and because they enjoy the salary it brings.  No shame.

I always re-watch the episode on the next day to pickup anything I might've missed during the live showing.

I felt bad for Bill's parents.  Since they live in NY, they don't get to see the kids as often and they don't have as strong a bond with Will & Zoey like Jen's parents.  Must be very difficult for grandparents.

At this point I just love listening to the things that come out of Will and Zoey's mouths.  Too adorable!

Sad that next week is the season finale and it looks like they are just doing a Q&A?  But understand that its for the best interest of all involved, especially the kids, to have time away from the cameras.

• Love 7

I spy with my little eye..

A copy of "Growing up Duggar" in the background of the SImon and Schuster Office.  I guess all these TLC personalities use the same publishers.  

Not only that, but Howard Publishing, the S&S division they used, is Duck Dynasty money. Howard is Willie Robertson's wife's family.

It is easy to get caught up on the children being away from the cameras when the season ends but that isn't the case.  I remember last year posters did not think the Kleins were filming when in fact we saw the trip to Washington about SNFK, the pirates ship, swimming lessons, starting school, Halloween, Christmas, Will's birthday in February and the trip to NY which appeared to be spring because of their clothing and interspersed into the shows were other events like karate and ballet and the space center.  Jen said they were going to have a busy summer, stay tuned to twitter to see what we will be seeing next season.

• Love 2

I did not like it when the publisher was telling them how wonderful they were for sharing their story in a book. They wrote the book because they want the money that it generates. As Judge Judy would say, I wish they would stop peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining.

The publisher is publishing their book. It pays for him to be complimentary to the talent. No professional publisher, particularly on camera, is going to sit down with two clients and say "I think you're doing this for the money, you're sharing this for profit only and I am a bastard who wants to make money off of you" and I think it is unrealistic to expect that. The publisher *wants* them to publish with him, why would he NOT compliment them?

• Love 12
(edited)

One thing that is becoming more evident each episode is how bowed Will's right leg is compared to the left.  I wonder if this contributes to his falling.  I guess at some point corrective surgery will be done and maybe there is a growth milestone he has to hit to achieve the most success.  I recall Alix's mother Amber on the 7 Little Johnstons saying he had to be carried everywhere for several weeks and was allowed no weight bearing at all.  Zack Roloff commented it was a very painful recovery.    

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

I felt so bad for poor Will when the librarian got him all excited for the teddy bear, which turned out to be a decrepit looking stuffed animal in a glass case that he couldn't even touch or play with. Talk about a letdown. I think he was done with the library after that.

Zoe's "seriously" was hilarious.

I'm glad the kids got to spend the day with Bill's parents, however I didn't like Bill's mom badgering Zoe to kiss her. I don't like it when adults force children to give affection they're clearly uncomfortable with. I know she didn't mean any harm, but it bothered me.

The teddy bear was the original Winnie the Pooh who now lives at the NYPL. http://www.nypl.org/about/locations/schwarzman/childrens-center-42nd-street/pooh

I'm not sure why Will was taking books "home" from the Library to read at the hotel? If he was bringing them back home to Texas, he'll have to return them by FedEx. 

The teddy bear was the original Winnie the Pooh who now lives at the NYPL. http://www.nypl.org/about/locations/schwarzman/childrens-center-42nd-street/pooh

I'm not sure why Will was taking books "home" from the Library to read at the hotel? If he was bringing them back home to Texas, he'll have to return them by FedEx.

Oh I know it was the original Winnie the Pooh, I think Will was just too young to appreciate the historical value of it. I think he's more the type that likes to crawl around, touch things and explore. He was looking pretty over it by the time Jen asked him if he wanted to go home.

• Love 3
(edited)

As cute as the kids are, I'm interested in Bill & Jen's lives before they had kids too.  I might pick up a copy of the book.

It makes me so angry that bullying led Bill to contemplate suicide once.  Sometimes I can't believe we live in such an awful world.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 5
(edited)

I think it was some kind of gift bag from the library, nothing that was expected to be returned.  Will was far too young for the library, Jen doesn't understand kids at all, same as when the helicopter was being flown in the house and she expected Will to stop that and come and look at invitations on a computer.  Will just wanted to curl up on that couch in the library and suck his thumb!  

Edited to remove speculation as per Wrestles Flamingos guidelines.  FL  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
I think that last night's episode was geared toward promoting book sales. I think that the visit with the publisher, the doctor's appointment where Jen touched on her multiple surgeries, the library visit that pointed out the importance of books, and the discussion about Bill's college years, including his thoughts of suicide were attempts to generate interest in the book.

If so, it worked. I'm in.

But more compelling to me was Bill's story and his thoughts of suicide.  At that point the story became much more poignant and much more eye opening.  He is such a funny and overtly happy guy.  To know what he traversed over the years but turned out the way he is really raised him even higher in my estimation.

And on a personal note, I think libraries are magical places.  All of those books - for FREE!  My mom started taking us to the local library at Will's age and I was hooked for life.

• Love 7

If that was a gift bag from the Library, I hope they somehow got another for Zoey, or the 1 bag had doubles of everything, since she wasn't well enough to go with Jen & Will. It would be nice if they did anyway (shrugs).

• Love 3

If that was a gift bag from the Library, I hope they somehow got another for Zoey, or the 1 bag had doubles of everything, since she wasn't well enough to go with Jen & Will. It would be nice if they did anyway (shrugs).

Especially since it seems Zoey is into books much more than Will.

• Love 3

I always say that there are some things in life that are all good. Libraries are on that list. However, not for a five year old who is quite young for his age. I thought that Will was amazingly well behaved at the library, considering how bored he seemed to be. Poor Jen tries really hard, but I don't think that she understands kids at all.

I think it was one of those things where the production team was trying to tick off boxes and get in several NYC landmarks. The fact that the library didn't remotely suit Will's personality at this stage in his life was secondary. I agree he was really well behaved given how obviously bored he was, especially towards the end.

• Love 3

The suicide story made me sad also. To me, Bill appears kind, genuine, charming, and funny. He seems like a true gem.

He really is.  It's funny that after watching him all these years, I no longer see a "little person" when I watch Bill.

It made me laugh when he talked about sleeping on the park bench because it was closer than home.  I think he was implying that he was a bit of a partier in college.  ;)

• Love 7

If so, it worked. I'm in.

But more compelling to me was Bill's story and his thoughts of suicide.  At that point the story became much more poignant and much more eye opening.  He is such a funny and overtly happy guy.  To know what he traversed over the years but turned out the way he is really raised him even higher in my estimation.

And on a personal note, I think libraries are magical places.  All of those books - for FREE!  My mom started taking us to the local library at Will's age and I was hooked for life.

I'm 55, and I STILL go to the library at least once a week and when I lived closer than I do now, I sometimes went everyday! Books, they're my greatest joy in life... :-)

He really is.  It's funny that after watching him all these years, I no longer see a "little person" when I watch Bill.

It made me laugh when he talked about sleeping on the park bench because it was closer than home.  I think he was implying that he was a bit of a partier in college.  ;)

I've always thought that Bill probably sowed several wild oats when he was younger, and that's okay! Thankfully, he lived thru it!
  • Love 4

I've been to that library. That branch of the New York Public Library has a huge gift shop inside that sells books and other interesting library stuff. I presume the bag was stuff they bought at the gift shop.

• Love 3

I've been to that library. That branch of the New York Public Library has a huge gift shop inside that sells books and other interesting library stuff. I presume the bag was stuff they bought at the gift shop.

Then if that's the case, I hope/assume they bought things for Zoey too. I just thought I wouldn't want Zoey to be upset or feel left out because her older brother (who also wasn't well, but apparently felt better than Zoey) got to go out with their Mommy & got a bunch of cool stuff that she didn't because she wasn't well enough to go with them.