Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E11: Vigilante Jones

Here's my speculation:

Jackie gets enough out of Prince to cover her new cache, fingers Eddy for her own immunity, and just as she's grinning at pulling it all off, Grace comes into the ER dead - OD on shit from Dr. Wu.

• Love 1

Okay, now I want a giant pretzel like Gloria has.

That second clip, I don't remember Jackie being so friendly and giddy with Zoey like that, ever. She's always treated Zoey like an annoying little sister she couldn't shake.

• Love 2

We've seen Gloria interviewing for a job, and Zoey mentioned something that same ep about being short handed because nurses were out interviewing. Shouldn't Zoey, Carrie and Thor be looking as well? And now that Jackie's a nurse again (ugh!) I wonder if she'll be going to interviews.

The Showtime website has a set of pictures for E11 that are definitely potentially spoiler-y. Don't know if we can/should discuss them here?

@ElectricBoogaloo, they also have a description and stills up for the finale, also speculation-encouraging. Didn't know at this point if you'd want a Speculation With Spoilers-specific dedicated thread, or if it is okay to keep it within the actual episode post(s). Thanks and if you need to edit/delete this because of the link, I understand!

I'm not a moderator here, but you can always start a new speculation with spoilers thread if you like!

• Love 1

"A secret shocks Zoey."

In my listing, it says "Zoey is shocked by Carrie's secret"  - I'm wondering if she's still pregnant? Would that be possible?

Did she fake a miscarriage to get rid of Coop?  But, she's been drinking, and doing *other things*, so perhaps not.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yes, all that miraculously took place in a day, and Vigilante Jones really flew!

So much time wasted on two new characters who don't matter - the Norwegian and Dr Prince.

Funny part was the translator, who, when asked by Jackie what the woman patient said, replied,  "Honestly, I have no fucking idea.".

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 2
(edited)

At least the somber music at the end clued us in that Vigilante Jones didn't really fly, that was a hallucination of Jackie's brought on by the new s**t she was swallowing.

And yeah, Chris Elliott was horrible casting for VJ.

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 3

I spent the entire episode under the impression that it was Andy Dick, of News Radio, playing Vigilante Jones. And I thought that he (Andy) was doing a pretty good job. I actually kinda liked VJ. Now my world has been shaken by the news that it was , in fact, Chris Elliot. Now I just don't know what to believe anymore.

Jackie was all chatty, happy, girlfriend to Zoey because she was high as a kite.

• Love 3

Birdman??? Seriously?WTF???

Dear Nurse J writers-here are some other movies you probably shouldn't try to ram into the finale: 12 Years a Slave, The Hobbit, Freaky Friday, Schindler's List, and Paddington.

• Love 10

At least the somber music at the end clued us in that Vigilante Jones didn't really fly, that was a hallucination of Jackie's brought on by the new s**t she was swallowing.

Still convinced that was a "God" thing reconfigured. In fact, if you switch "Vigilante" to "God" in the roof scene, it becomes a lot less cringy and a lot more poignant.

• Love 2

Oh, Jackie's hypocrisy knows no bounds. Zoey reported her to Gloria because Jackie endangered the life of a patient and of course Jackie acted like a martyr. But when Jackie reports Prince to Gloria for endangering the life of a patient, she's doing the right thing.

And OF COURSE Jackie is able to feel like her actions last week were justified because Gloria found her son after Jackie's lawyer said he was wanted again. I swear, the writers are determined to put a halo on Jackie's head for the finale.

Eddie was out of line for trying to get Prince to sign for a bunch of samples, but at the same time he was right when he said Jackie has done worse.

I find it weird that Carrie's main motivation for telling the Norwegian's wife was that she wants Zoey to like her. Don't get me wrong - I like Zoey, but Carrie is so insecure that Zoey's disapproval is enough to get her to do this? Heh, but I have to admit that I cracked up about Carrie using the translator to learn how to tell his wife in Norwegian.

• Love 6

This is one hell of a hospital. Junkie nurse goes to the Administrator's home to report that the head of ER is suffering from a serious disease that is compromising his patient care. Administrator doesn't come to the hospital, speak to the doctor, consult with anyone else (Gloria has bosses, too, doesn't she?), or launch an investigation. Doesn't even suggest that someone confirm the allegation or look at the patient chart to see what happened (just because we know it's true doesn't mean Gloria does). Instead, she phones Security and tells them to remove him from the premises!

• Love 6

I couldn't tell if Gloria finding her son was a good thing or not. If he was wanted by the police, why is he at her apartment? Is she hiding him? Why do I care? Like someone mentioned, that part was only to make Jackie look good anyway.

• Love 3

There have been a number of shows where even though I tried to stick with them until the bitter end, I quit them in the last season. I wish to God this had been one of them. I hate watching this show limp to the end this way. I'll hate it even more if Jackie comes out on top. 

I find it weird that Carrie's main motivation for telling the Norwegian's wife was that she wants Zoey to like her. Don't get me wrong - I like Zoey, but Carrie is so insecure that Zoey's disapproval is enough to get her to do this? Heh, but I have to admit that I cracked up about Carrie using the translator to learn how to tell his wife in Norwegian.

I normally have no use for Roman but she's been a lot more tolerable since Coop left. She's allowed to be kind of badass. It also helps that she's no longer The Incompetent One. 

• Love 3

After seeing Jackie merrily popping pills with impunity in this episode, I seriously hope that the show has been trolling us and this is all going to turn out to have been a dream. If not, I'm not gong to be satisified  unless Jackie ends up dead in the finale. IMO it's disgusting that they've been making her look heroic while she uses and lies to everyone around her, even her kids. O'Hara showing up might be a good sign.

• Love 6

Like someone mentioned, that part was only to make Jackie look good anyway.

But right after Gloria said 'Thank you, Jackie' she followed up with 'Fuck you, Jackie."  So not all is forgiven.

There was a wonderful actor Sam Whipple who would of been wonderful.   Actually he would of been a great recurring character.  He played a character on NYPD Blue , titled A Box for Wendy.   It remains my favorite to this day.  

Administrator doesn't come to the hospital, speak to the doctor, consult with anyone else (Gloria has bosses, too, doesn't she?), or launch an investigation. Doesn't even suggest that someone confirm the allegation or look at the patient chart to see what happened (just because we know it's true doesn't mean Gloria does). Instead, she phones Security and tells them to remove him from the premises!

The best I can think is maybe with situation, Gloria trusts Jackie.  Though I agree the whole thing was ridiculous.  Obviously Jackie was "right," but I can't imagine how you could order someone removed for incompetence without observing them, or even speaking to them first. 

• Love 1
Like someone mentioned, that part was only to make Jackie look good anyway.

But right after Gloria said 'Thank you, Jackie' she followed up with 'Fuck you, Jackie."  So not all is forgiven.

By making Jackie look good, I meant that the viewers were supposed to think that Jackie and her attorney's disclosures about Gloria at the hearing turned out alright because it helped Gloria find her son, not that Gloria was ok with it.  What they did was vile and uncalled for. I'd like to add my own "Fuck you, Jackie".

• Love 5

After Akilitis said "Thank you, fuck you" Jackie walked away with a look of smug satisfaction on her face. Therefore the "fuck you" part was remdered meaningless.

• Love 1

Really, show?  Zoey has already seemingly forgotten that Jackie is a sociopathic disaster, now Akalitus too?  Even if she did credit Jackie with hooking her back up with her son, I would never give an asshole like Jackie the satisfaction.  Why would Akalitus believe her anyway?  Really disappointed that the writers just phoned it in this season, there is zero continuity with the character's actions.  Way to go out with a whimper.  If they were going to sanitize Jackie, why even bother writing all of the horrible shit she did to so many people?  I can't think of any reasonable way to make it all good in the finale.

• Love 3

According to Jackie's lawyer last week, Gloria's son is currently wanted for grand larceny, so I doubt she'll get much time to spend with him, unless she plans to harbor a criminal. But I agree this plot development seems to fit a pattern where some of Jackie's worst behavior somehow gets "justified" and flipped to look beneficial or good. It grates that they keep doing that.

I also wonder where she's getting these pills from - are they Eddie's samples? He's already in enough trouble as it is trying to account for the batches he sold. And we don't even know what kind of pain killer he's been pushing. Is it really something Jackie would want to use? This show really has no concept of what drugs are like or how certain kinds are different, it's like they just think pills=drugs and that's it.

• Love 2

My thought based entirely on the preview is that Jackie finally ODs. I don't really care what happens though since I was singing Glory, Glory Hallelujah at the sight of O'Hara.

Several people here have noted that this season could have all been a coma induced dream from the car accident. Everything that happened in this episode leads me to believe we are heading in that direction.

Several people here have noted that this season could have all been a coma induced dream from the car accident. Everything that happened in this episode leads me to believe we are heading in that direction.

• Love 2

Me too. I'd like to think that she's still handcuffed to a bed in Rikers or Bellevue or wherever.

• Love 1
Me too. I'd like to think that she's still handcuffed to a bed in Rikers or Bellevue or wherever.

I like the idea.  It would certainly explain how Grace went from troubled, angsty teen last season, to near-perfect daughter now.  Of course, I also appreciate that a comatose or whatever Jackie is fantasizing subplots for everyone as well. 

• Love 1

After Akilitis said "Thank you, fuck you" Jackie walked away with a look of smug satisfaction on her face. Therefore the "fuck you" part was rendered meaningless.

Yeah,  that was such bullshit. The "fuck you" really insulted We The Viewer's collective intelligence. The only way all that would work out for me is if Jackie turns out to have been a ghost for the whole episode.

Is the car accident everyone's referring to the one in last season's finale where she ran into the ambulance? Because she had just taken off so was at a very low speed, and had her seatbelt on. How could she be in a coma from that? What could be a dream is that episode's whole final sequence because it was so unrealistic. A line of vehicles sitting behind the accident with a huge shoulder to the right which only Jackie thought to use to go around. The clock in Jackie's car said 5:02 when she started to go around the accident so it was maybe 5:03 or 5:04 when Jackie was helping the victim and we heard sirens. When Jackie was walking back to her car, the victim was on a stretcher being taken to the ambulance and Jackie checked her watch - 5:12. So it was eight minutes at the most for the EMTs to get their equipment and get to the victim, assess the victim's condition, put a neck thing on her and likely put her on a body board before putting her on the stretcher. That is so not believable. But then again, this was a car accident so violent it opened child-resistant prescription bottles and flung the contents everywhere.

What I want to know is did Eddie get a refund on the plane ticket Jackie didn't use?

Rewatching that episode a couple things stood out to me:

I remembered Jackie gave too much insulin to the paitent and almost killed her, but I had forgotten that she went to Coop and told him Carrie was the one who prescribed the wrong dose and almost killed her, then shamed him into doing something about it.

That conversation between Zoey and Jackie in the lab cemented my dislike of Jackie. Zoey pointed out that what Jackie did was a federal offense and after a few hems and haws Jackie arrogantly says, "Look, this is me you're talking to".

• Love 1

Maybe the final scene will be O'Hara pulling a .44 magnum out of her purse and blowing Jackie away, then catching a cab to the airport for the flight back across the pond.  I could live with that finale.

• Love 6
(edited)

Nah, The UK has strict gun control laws. She wouldn't have one.

For those of you who were commenting that the vigilante storyline was really supposed to be god --it wasn't. It was a direct ripoff of Birdman. That's where the flying thing came from. And unless we find out this whole season was a dream, the magic realism element of it really doesn't fit this show. That said, I thought Chris Elliott did fine with the ridiculous part they gave him.

Edited by Cramps
  • Love 2

Whenever the writers turn a whole season or batch of episodes into a dream, it's basically them saying that they failed and are going to pretend none of it ever happened.  It renders everything you watched completely pointless.  So if that's what they're going to do and this whole season was just a dream, it's a total fail for the series.  I'd much rather they kept it real and have some moment of accountability for Jackie in the finale, but I'm losing faith in that happening.

• Love 3

Whenever the writers turn a whole season or batch of episodes into a dream, it's basically them saying that they failed and are going to pretend none of it ever happened. It renders everything you watched completely pointless. So if that's what they're going to do and this whole season was just a dream, it's a total fail for the series. I'd much rather they kept it real and have some moment of accountability for Jackie in the finale, but I'm losing faith in that happening.

I think the finale would be interesting if they just took a "life goes on" approach. Jackie continues to use and betray; Eddie remains pathetic and awful; Zoey keeps going with her Zoey self. That would be fine. Nothing big, just a low key "adios." Because Jackie is a drug addict, and once an addict always an addict. I know- I have a family full of alcoholics and drug addicts and one thing at least the drug addicts don't do is just change. Especially if that drug is an opiate/opioid. She will keep on until she kills herself, or a patient, or until she gets caught again.

• Love 3

I think the finale would be interesting if they just took a "life goes on" approach.

I think problem most people have is that the writers seem to be rooting for Jackie to win and for us to root with them.  It's like a celebration of the functioning drug addict.  Maybe they'll prove me wrong in the finale, who knows?  Contrast this with Falco's other big show, The Sopranos.  In that show you had a whole slew of despicable lead characters, including Falco's.  But that show fits more with what you're describing, it was simply a portrait of mob life.  Whether or not Tony died in the end, viewers knew all along that for all his money and nice things, his life was actually quite miserable, and his family was totally dysfunctional.  But on Jackie, the theme seems to be, "Hey, being a lying manipulative drug addict can be fun and rewarding!".

• Love 5
But on Jackie, the theme seems to be, "Hey, being a lying manipulative drug addict can be fun and rewarding!"

In fairness to the writers, even with her job back, Jackie's life isn't all that great.  There's a very real chance that both she and her boyfriend could end up in jail because of their having sold drugs, she has a so-so relationship with her kids, and her addiction helped destroy her marriage.     

• Love 1

I've never seen Birdman so if this episode was supposed to be some kind of homage or rip-off of that it totally went over my head. I did laugh though when the Vigilante pepper-sprayed the Norwegian guy.

I think the finale would be interesting if they just took a "life goes on" approach. Jackie continues to use and betray; Eddie remains pathetic and awful; Zoey keeps going with her Zoey self. That would be fine. Nothing big, just a low key "adios." Because Jackie is a drug addict, and once an addict always an addict. I know- I have a family full of alcoholics and drug addicts and one thing at least the drug addicts don't do is just change. Especially if that drug is an opiate/opioid. She will keep on until she kills herself, or a patient, or until she gets caught again.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm expecting too. Not some radical conclusion where she dies or ODs. Just everyone going off on their separate ways after the hospital closes, with Jackie walking off into the sunset to her new job, knowing she will always be a drug addict.

I think problem most people have is that the writers seem to be rooting for Jackie to win and for us to root with them.  It's like a celebration of the functioning drug addict.

I disagree, I don't think there's anything particularly sympathetic or rootable about Jackie's life and it's certainly not enviable. In any event, given how the last two seasons have been I'm prepared for the show to end with more of a whimper than a bang.

• Love 1

In fairness to the writers, even with her job back, Jackie's life isn't all that great.  There's a very real chance that both she and her boyfriend could end up in jail because of their having sold drugs, she has a so-so relationship with her kids, and her addiction helped destroy her marriage.     

I think Jackie would prefer to be alone. No one to nag her about where she's been, what she's been doing. I never sensed any kind of hurt or sadness from Jackie or Kevin when they split up. She can take or leave Eddie, he's not much use to her anymore if he can't supply drugs. I think Jackie would be perfectly happy and content to work as a nurse, see her kids on a regular basis and feed her drug habit. Maybe have a one-night stand here and there to take care of her needs. She doesn't want to have anyone to answer to.

• Love 7

"In any event, given how the last two seasons have been I'm prepared for the show to end with more of a whimper than a bang."

I predict that Carmella Soprano will wake up in bed next to a CGI Tony and reveal that all of Nurse Jackie was a bad dream brought on by food poisoning caused by bad prosciutto.

• Love 9

Right after Jackie pops the pills on the stairs the screen goes white. I assumed everything after that was either a hallucination or a passed out dream. Then again, I also assumed she'd finally get caught using on the job - which I will probably have to accept will never happen because according to the writers Jackie is the best drug addict ever and the best thing that could happen to you if you went into a hospital is to be treated by a drug addicted nurse.

• Love 3

I think Jackie would prefer to be alone. No one to nag her about where she's been, what she's been doing. I never sensed any kind of hurt or sadness from Jackie or Kevin when they split up. She can take or leave Eddie, he's not much use to her anymore if he can't supply drugs. I think Jackie would be perfectly happy and content to work as a nurse, see her kids on a regular basis and feed her drug habit. Maybe have a one-night stand here and there to take care of her needs. She doesn't want to have anyone to answer to.

I agree and I would have no problem with this more or less if the last two seasons had been well written. When I first started watching this show I was really sucked in by my back and forth over how much I felt for her and how much I was concerned that one day she would fuck up colossally either at work or at home because of the drugs. For the most part she seemed to have things under control in the beginning. Now I know that most addicts will report that things are usually pretty great in the beginning but after a while things get ugly in your life and that with some cases (depending on the drugs one is addicted to, usually opiates which I believe Jackie uses) the addict no longer feels euphoria but only needs more and more drugs to keep from being debilitatingly, unbearably ill and in pain. 

I can't stress enough that I personally don't need this show to be a morality lesson or anything. I would have  been fine to still have the old Jackie to the very end. Doing some icky things and doing some kind of kind and awesome things. Whatever.

This show really didn't go either way. Instead we get Junior Birdman, PrinceDoctor, the many disappointments of Zoe and Akalitus and so on. 

• Love 2