Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Midnight Never Come

Well now, that.... did not go at all the way I thought it would. 

I would feel bad for Mercy getting tossed out literally on her bare ass, if she weren't such an insufferable bitch and constant pain in the ass. She's so quick to get power drunk, when she falls on her face she really kinda deserves it.   Every time she gets a little bit of power she starts acting stupid, and I just can't feel bad for her.

The second the Countess claimed Anne as her daughter, I started trying to think of anything incesty went on between her and Sebastian. Then I remembered... it was the Countess that gave her the lip biting kiss. So apparently that's just how the woman gets down, I guess. Threats, violence, and some inappropriate kissing.

Tituba's seems to be in pretty good shape for a chick who's been literally hanging out for  I'm guess at least a few days by now.  I was surprised to hear her still defending Mary. I guess she really does love her.

I really didn't think thing would go down for Mary like that, but I started cringing when she started pouring her heart out to little John. It sounded way too close to what the Countess wanted her to say, and then the Countess goes and confirms it.  Sucks for Mary, you could tell that wasn't what she meant to do... 

Next week looks awesome. 

I don't think I've been this profoundly irritated by a female character since the hideously obnoxious Kate in "Robin Hood" - though that show never gave me the satisfaction of Robin Hood chucking her out of bed butt-naked because he was hung up on another woman. I know I'm supposed to feel bad for Mercy based on what's happened to her, but at this point surely the show is aware of how horrid she is, right? Especially compared to the likes Anne, Tituba and Mary?

I liked the world-building that took place in this episode, with Mary going to visit the rest of the coven hiding between the trees/underground. It gives us an idea of what Little John's upbringing was like, though I wonder that he wasn't more "prepped" in the idea that he was one day going to be the vessel of Satan.

I'm a little queasy about the show injecting some feminist rhetoric into the Countess's speeches. It's not like I disagree with what she's saying, but is it a good idea to put it in the mouth of a woman who wants to usher Satan back into the world? I've noticed this problem often arises with stories about medieval witches: on the one hand they're powerful and beautiful, on the other they're inevitably agents of the devil (and subsequently evil). The show itself doesn't seem quite sure what to do with these implications - that women can only gain agency if they sell their souls? That good women have no choice but to bow to the unfair rules of the patriarchy and men like Magistrate Hale? How can you blame these women for wanting to escape that? (I was hoping Anne Hale would provide a third option considering she's a "natural" witch, but this episode made her complicit in John's possession, so I've no idea what we're meant to think of her now).

Not sure yet what to make of Anne Hale being the Countess's daughter, but I hope it doesn't mean the Countess's death in the finale. Lucy Lawless is too good to get rid of just yet. (And won't Mercy be delighted when she finds out her foster-mum already HAS a daughter).

Yeah, I just saw a child I loved get horribly sacrificed on another show.  For some reason I could not warm up to the actor that plays John Jr. and really do not think he is worth all the fuss.

Not sure yet what to make of Anne Hale being the Countess's daughter, but I hope it doesn't mean the Countess's death in the finale. Lucy Lawless is too good to get rid of just yet. (And won't Mercy be delighted when she finds out her foster-mum already HAS a daughter).

Lucy Lawless has been a great addition. I have a feeling the Countess will die in the finale, however.

I was surprised by Anne being the Countess' daughter? Anne said that she'd guessed based on her father's book, but if there were any hints, they went over my head.

Bad day for Cotton, John and Mary. I'm not too keen on John as a character, but I love his scenes with Cotton. The two have great chem. Methinks they should ditch their witches and just bromance it up.

They managed to surprise me with how the ritual played out. I was yelling at Mary to shut up and at John to shoot Little John, as hard as that would be, instead of waiting until the Dark Lord emerged.

Well if nothing else, at least Isaac got the hint of a break, I guess? I mean that guy always gets screwed over, and I don't trust Hawthorne as far as I can throw him with my pinky, so I have no faith in it lasting for him. That or our sweet Isaac of the past died with Dolly and he's not changed for the better. I wish Hawthorne really was the man he's presenting himself to be.

I will not feel bad for Mercy. That well ran dry when she declared herself the new queen and came for Mary. Maybe I would if she wasn't always so damn smug and self satisfied.

I certainly don't have any sympathy for Mercy.  Even if I understand her hatred for Mary and wanting revenge, she not only willing kidnap kids in order to maintain her and The Countess' youth, she showed no remorse about it.  And for her to smugly declare she is going to marry Sebastian and be a "queen", only to have Sebastian toss her aside naked, and declare he's all about Mary, was certainly a fitting moment.  That said, I do think this is going to come back to bite him, and I guess she'll play some part in the endgame and even be willing to help Mary out.

Anne being The Countess daughter sure was something.  Really makes her and Cotton's relationship sort of a star-crossed love kind of thing (assuming Cotton actually does love her, without the love potion and all.)  Totally knew she was going to pick Cotton over the kid.  Of course, now Cotton sees with his own eyes that she is a witch, so who knows what the state of their relationship will be.

Glad Issac finally gets a win; it's just too bad it includes throwing in with Hathorne.  That dude might be the most untrustworthy person on this show, which really says something.

Totally knew The Countess had something up her sleeve, so I wasn't surprised when Mary declaring her love for Little John, ended up being all they needed to make the sacrifice work.  This is not good.  I'm not sure how they are going to be able to stop this.  Especially since it seems like everyone but Mary, Cotton, and Alden has now joined Team Countess.  No disrespect to those three, but I'm not sure they can match up against The Countess, Sebastian, Anne, Tituba, and a freaking demon baby.  Unless eithe Anne or Tituba have second thoughts.  Or, again, Mercy somehow rears her head again.

I don't want to count Anne and Tituba among The Evil just yet; I especially suspect Anne of having something up her sleeve for the countess. Little John might be a lost cause. My guess is that the countess will lose this form at the end of the season, giving them time to regroup while she gets a new body. Either that or they string her up in the Basement of Sibley House, if (hopefully) Lucy Lawless is willing to stay on if the show is renewed. She can't be allowed to go around at full-power, but maybe she can stay in an advisory position.

I've never hated Mercy, I think because I find her actress really fascinating to watch. And I believe she's the wildcard here that will decide the countess's fate, or Little John's. She tends to take the side of the one she thinks is good for her until they inevitably discard her. I feel like, if she doesn't find out about Anne being a Marburg and tries to murder her out of jealousy, she'll throw in her lot with Anne. They had a little bit of interaction early on -- I suspect she thought of Anne as being stuck up but non-threatening.

Meanwhile Cotton is reading Hale's Book of Shadows but I wonder if he can read Anne's? It's supposed to be for her eyes only but Mary gave her a compromised version from the start. Without it Cotton won't know of the love spell (unless he finds that paper Mary wrote for Anne) or the fact that she promised to use her powers for good. Speaking of, did Brown Jenkins go from mouse to rat, or was I mis-seeing things?

Anyone know why the Countess slapped Sebastian? I lost track of that storyline.

• Love 1

I love this show because everything always get's Bat$h!t crazy, just when you think it's hit it's limit.

The Countess is a wonderful villainess and I would expect nothing less from Flawless Lawless.   She has really played the role like all these other witches are just flys caught in a web she's spinning.    The character comes off more superior than Mary ever did (even when Mary was at the height of her power), really curious to see what lasting effect the Countess will have on "the little owl" Anne Hale.   

Anne continues to be one of my favorite characters.   She is so guileless in some ways but she can always add a plot twist like no other on this show.  I believe she's truly fallen in love with Cotton and now that she's without her family she'll of course choose the closest thing she has to it over the child of John Alden and Mary Sibley.    She's powerful and intelligent but her one weakness is her gulibility and inexperience.   Having said that, she's come a long way from the girl that got squeamish about drowning an animal in a well.   I do count her as team evil now because she hears what the Countess is saying and doesn't seem to be interested in stopping the ascension of their "dark lord."   But than again it's not the Dark Lord Mary is interested in stopping, if it weren't going to require the life of her son Mary was willing to kill every Man, Woman and Child who wasn't a witch so it's hard for me to feel too bad for her.

Anne does make me think of that saying that once good turns to the dark side they tend to go REALLY dark.

I feel a little for Mercy.   Mary and Tituba pretty much destroyed her in season 1 and her pathological hatred of Mary is understandable in my view.

Sebastian and his Mary obsession is dissapointing and boring.  He should be forced to turn in his villain badge.

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone know why the Countess slapped Sebastian? I lost track of that storyline.

The Countess thought that Sebastian had killed John by stab him in the last episode but he was saved by Cotton's "priest powers"  with herbs. 

Am i the only one who thinks the outfits of this show are getting uglier? That white hood Mary was wearing is just too awful.

Edited by babyslut

(And won't Mercy be delighted when she finds out her foster-mum already HAS a daughter)

I could have sworn Sebastian mentioned something to this effect when he went off on her.

Speaking of Mercy, something about her diction in this scene bugged me to no end. It was like she was trying to be coquettish, and failing miserably. I cringed, and then laughed when Sebastian called her a dog. Seriously, he must really think poorly of her to refuse a blow job, what guy does that?

Am i the only one who thinks the outfits of this show are getting uglier? That white hood Mary was wearing is just too awful.

No me, I love the clothes, but hey, to each their own ;) I would have loved something like Mary's white outfit for my wedding attire.

I was also surprised by the Ann Hale reveal, but thinking it maybe Mercy who is the countess' downfall. She must know where her body is hidden, right?

I wonder why the heck Mercy thought Sebastian was into her.  He seemed to always speak to her with contempt and barely can keep from spitting on her.  I guess she feels beautiful for the first time in her life (though the actress is attractive enough) and it kind of went to her head.

I love Lucy Lawless, but does anyone thinks she is one of the devil's ex-girlfriends that he is just not into anymore?  It feels like she has been waiting an eternity for him to call.  I am waiting for her to try to take what she thinks is her rightful position by devil's side as queen, only for Lucifer to inform her that he is in love with Mary.

• Love 1
On 06/28/2015 at 9:25 PM, qtpye said:

I love Lucy Lawless, but does anyone thinks she is one of the devil's ex-girlfriends that he is just not into anymore?  It feels like she has been waiting an eternity for him to call.  I am waiting for her to try to take what she thinks is her rightful position by devil's side as queen, only for Lucifer to inform her that he is in love with Mary.

LOL, me too. I thought the big twist at the end of the episode would be that Lucifer-John would kill her when she was hugging him. Maybe it will still happen. They've certainly driven home the fact that she's the strongest one there and maybe he would be the only one powerful enough to kill her.

I thought they pulled out of their asses that Anne is her daughter, and, was her father meant to be her real dad? They gave zero indication of any of this before, but I'll let it slide because it's a good twist. And I've thought for a while now and Anne would be stronger than all the other witches, so there it is.

I loved how the Countess was all "that will do" when Mary declared her love for John Jr. I thought Lucy was delicious there.

I also did like all the "female power vibe" of the show, specially how the Countess is all "meh" towards Sebastian and basically bred him to sacrifice him, and the royalty line is all about the women. Like yeah, all the powerful females here are evil witches and having a son just to have him be possessed by the the devil is not nice, but it's an interesting reversal of the usual stuff. I fear though that Sebastian will rebel and the countess will be put in her "place", and then Little John will be the ultimate power, cause of course. Even shows that do start with a female driven premise and they're supposed to the the most powerful ones in the show's universe end up doing this kind of stuff eventually. *eyeroll*

• Love 1

What I find interesting about the show is that you sort of understand why these women sold their souls to the devil.  It wasn't done out of pure ignorance.  Even Anne a cradle witch had perfectly legitamite reasons to fear a overtly male dominated world like Salem that could burn her as a witch (even if she wasn't one) simply to get hold of her fathers property.  

I absolutly love the male vs female thing going on.  On one side you have a male dominated world harshly punishing its citizens for the smallest and vaguest of infractions.  On the other side you have a female dominated world that has put in with devil to build a world where they will be safe.

i find that intriguing.

• Love 3