Type keyword(s) to search

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

There's a 3 min scene out that's so-so. The true measure of that is the 20 minute prequel they put out.

Don't play this unless you have that 20 min to spare (because likely most people will want to sit through the whole thing).

https://youtu.be/1W1_8IV8uhA

Yes, those are real Star Trek actors. A couple of the highest profile fan projects have had real Trek actors, but they're used particularly well in this.

Oh yes, and Candyman. Being non-Candymanish, thank goodness. A very good performance by him.

That prequel was ACES!

I spent the evening watching a few episodes of "Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II," and I'm really impressed. Great stories, decent acting, fantastic special effects. Is anyone discussing the episodes in the fan thread?

• Love 1
On 1/2/2016 at 0:17 AM, SmithW6079 said:

I spent the evening watching a few episodes of "Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II," and I'm really impressed. Great stories, decent acting, fantastic special effects. 

The effects are good, for the budget. You can see the problems with them occasionally, but it's easy to forgive the problems.

The acting really ranges from superb to mediocre. It's case by case. The big name guest stars, the real Trek people, tend to feel an obligation though and I have to say in pretty much every case have raised their game majorly and done their best work. I actually liked the deliberately cheesy approach of James Hawley, the guy who showruns" the whole thing and played Kirk in most of these, because he hit the right line of Shatnering it without going TOO far, but he's passed the role of Kirk to some other guy who I don't like as much. The Spocks they've had (like three of them) have been a real mixed bag. One I recall really loving, one was okay but no better, and one I disliked. They've never really had a good Uhura (swapped her out a few times), but had both very good Chekov (young Chekov I mean, since "old Chekov" also appeared played by Walter Koenig himself) and a pretty good Sulu. 

The stories have been the key. Most of them have been great (and if you look into it the reason for that is that several of them were by real Star Trek writers--I mean from both the Trek book world AND former TV episode writers). 

Anyway to get back to Star Trek Beyond... apparently it comes out the week after Ghostbusters. Even if Beyond meets our worst fears, it sounds like Ghostbusters is probably going to be a disappointment too. There really won't be much other competition in late July though. 

John Cho recently claimed Beyond 'goes back to the roots', so lets make of that what we will. 

"When I read the script, my emotional impression was that it felt very much like the best of the original series. It felt like the series felt to me. And the first [film] that we made didn’t entirely feel like that to me."

So if we're lucky maybe that HORRID trailer making this look like Fast & Furi-Trek was misleading. Maybe. Does Justin Lin really have the wherewithall to understand that "original Trek" means that action, if present, is ONLY there to further story?  OG-Trek was forced by the times and finances to minimize action, and likely with newer times and more money would have enhanced both. But fights, be they hand to hand or between ships, existed to forward plot points. Period. 

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

New trailer. It starts off well, but then turns into the regular space opera action thing. I'm still not convinced.

Yeah, this doesn't do much more than the first trailer to convince me that Mr. Fast & Furious knows shit about anything other than making hyper action sequences. I see some attempt at putting talky bits in, but I'm expecting that might be half the talky bits from the entire film. 

You know, there's really a big part of me that thinks the only reason ANY big screen Star Trek film ever worked was because they had the base of the original series to build on. And if you uproot that base, making them basically new characters with the same names, you don't have that real sense of knowing them that allowed the TOS movies to shortcut a lot of stuff.

(edited)

Well, I liked the new trailer.  But then, I never hated the first trailer either.  There's always a lot of action in these movies.  I don't know why everyone's is acting like that's new.  I hated Into Darkness.  Hated it.  But, I love this cast and I loved the '09 movie so I'm optimistic for this one.  JJ never really cared about Trek.  He had his eye on Star Wars the whole time.  At least Simon Pegg and Justin Lin (I think) are actually fans of Trek.

Edited by Sweet Tee
7 hours ago, Kromm said:

You know, there's really a big part of me that thinks the only reason ANY big screen Star Trek film ever worked was because they had the base of the original series to build on. And if you uproot that base, making them basically new characters with the same names, you don't have that real sense of knowing them that allowed the TOS movies to shortcut a lot of stuff.

I haven't actually seen much of TOS. It wasn't on when I was young. My introduction to Trek was through TNG. For that matter, the first Trek movie I saw in the cinema was Generations. However, I'd seen all the TOS movies on TV or video. At that age, I absorbed it all before I really developed taste or strong feelings on the matter. :) But I think you're on to something when it comes to other watchers. These new movies, it feels like they took one or two personality traits for each of the characters, exaggerated them, and dumped the rest.

I find it a bit weird that every Star Trek trailer is apparently required to have a Spock/Uhura kiss in it. Is that pairing a selling point for anyone in the audience? Is it a "look, there's romance too" thing (even though the romance in ST is paper thin)? Is it a "STILL NO HOMO" thing?

At least it looks like Uhura has stuff to do in this movie and doesn't just play the nagging girlfriend. She's way too awesome to spend all that time mooning over Spock.

• Love 1

This trailer was more what I was looking for from Star Trek.  The first one was ... okay.  If reality is somewhere in the middle that's fine.  I'm willing to trust Simon Pegg.

I would like Uhura to have more impact, too.  At least she got to let loose some Klingon in the last one.  Sadly in most of Trek she has been in the outer character ring.  If you aren't one of the center three - Spock, Kirk, or Bones -  focus on you tends to be limited and from their perspective.  Scotty got a little more play in the second movie, but Sulu and Chekov were a bit one note.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

This trailer was more what I was looking for from Star Trek.  The first one was ... okay.  If reality is somewhere in the middle that's fine.  I'm willing to trust Simon Pegg.

I would like Uhura to have more impact, too.  At least she got to let loose some Klingon in the last one.  Sadly in most of Trek she has been in the outer character ring.  If you aren't one of the center three - Spock, Kirk, or Bones -  focus on you tends to be limited and from their perspective.  Scotty got a little more play in the second movie, but Sulu and Chekov were a bit one note.

I think that's undetstandable, Kirk/Spock/Bones were the center of TOS.  I remember Nimoy (i believe) talking about how Spock/Bones were the Angels on Kirk's shoulder. I believe it was during Undiscovered Country promo because he threw out the Hamlet line "to be or not to be" line.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Bones was barely in Into Darkness though.

I don't mind the focus on the big three, or a heavy emphasis on the Kirk/Spock dynamic at all, but I need them to do better with the female characters. In the second movie Uhura was basically "The Girlfriend" except for one kickass scene and Carol Marcus was only there to show her boobs. That's not what I want to see, especially when other big sci-fi blockbusters have done so much better recently.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KatWay said:

Bones was barely in Into Darkness though.

I don't mind the focus on the big three, or a heavy emphasis on the Kirk/Spock dynamic at all, but I need them to do better with the female characters. In the second movie Uhura was basically "The Girlfriend" except for one kickass scene and Carol Marcus was only there to show her boobs. That's not what I want to see, especially when other big sci-fi blockbusters have done so much better recently.

I was actually rather disappointed in how little Bones we got in Darkness. However, I get that they had to build up Kirk/Spock in order to get the payoff at the end.

Personally Kirk/Spock/Bones are my favorite characters and I've always loved the Kirk/Spock, Kirk/Bones and especially the Bones/Spock relationship in TOS as well as the TOS Movies. 

I liked Uhura and even the Uhura/Spock relationship in Star Trek 2009.  However,  I really can't say I need or want more Uhura. Unfortunately,  she's a tricky character, the original version is very much a product of her time.  However, they can't change her too much to make her more of a modern strong woman (not talking physically) or else people will complain.

I kind of wish they would have kept Uhura as a background character and went with "Number One" from the original Star Trek Pilot as a strong female character in the New Universe. 

(edited)

I kind of wish they would have kept Uhura as a background character and went with "Number One" from the original Star Trek Pilot as a strong female character in the New Universe. 

So rather than de-emphasize one of the multiple male characters, you'd rather diminish the one character who is both black and female.  That's interesting. Did you ever consider a Star Trek where both Uhura AND Number One exist as strong, multi-dimensional female characters, or is Trek like Highlander?  There can be only one? 

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

So rather than de-emphasize one of the multiple male characters, you'd rather diminish the one character who is both black and female.  That's interesting. Did you ever consider a Star Trek where both Uhura AND Number One exist as strong, multi-dimensional female characters, or is Trek like Highlander?  There can be only one? 

I think the problem with Uhura is that she's always been mismanaged.  This isn't the actresses' fault--they've just never gotten her right with the writing, and the concept behind her had a few dated notions/flaws in it already. 

I mean think about it. How clear is it what a communication officer does, or why it's interesting beyond just a face in the background?  They never conquered that. It kind of made sense in the 1960s, because in the 60s communication meant radio, and radio meant fiddling with frequencies and firming up signals, etc. Then we progressed into digital times and communicating with people became more about simply dialing something or clicking on an icon. Even in the original show she was reduced to saying a lot of "hailing frequencies open, Captain", but it's less clear why we should care about her now, apart from the new reasons that she's played by a hot young actress, and they have her banging Spock. They've really done her a disservice not really giving her a reason for us to care about her outside of those. I mean a helmsman steers a ship. A navigator plots a course, and they also defined that station as the weapons station too a long time ago. A science officer figures out problems, and a first officer bosses the crew around when the Captain isn't.  And Uhura? Says "hailing frequencies open".  Wow. 

If this was an alternate reality and they really embraced that, I wonder why they even felt she had to stay at the same station? Hah. I'd have swapped her to Checkov's station and stuck HIM back on communication. It would have been hilarious with the actor overdoing the strong Russian accent/ 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I think the problem with Uhura is that she's always been mismanaged.  This isn't the actresses' fault--they've just never gotten her right with the writing, and the concept behind her had a few dated notions/flaws in it already. 

I mean think about it. How clear is it what a communication officer does, or why it's interesting beyond just a face in the background?  They never conquered that. It kind of made sense in the 1960s, because in the 60s communication meant radio, and radio meant fiddling with frequencies and firming up signals, etc. Then we progressed into digital times and communicating with people became more about simply dialing something or clicking on an icon. Even in the original show she was reduced to saying a lot of "hailing frequencies open, Captain", but it's less clear why we should care about her now, apart from the new reasons that she's played by a hot young actress, and they have her banging Spock. They've really done her a disservice not really giving her a reason for us to care about her outside of those. I mean a helmsman steers a ship. A navigator plots a course, and they also defined that station as the weapons station too a long time ago. A science officer figures out problems, and a first officer bosses the crew around when the Captain isn't.  And Uhura? Says "hailing frequencies open".  Wow. 

If this was an alternate reality and they really embraced that, I wonder why they even felt she had to stay at the same station? Hah. I'd have swapped her to Checkov's station and stuck HIM back on communication. It would have been hilarious with the actor overdoing the strong Russian accent/ 

In TNG Worf, the tactical officer, was the one who got to say "Hailing frequencies open."  That would have been an interesting twist to make Uhura the tactical officer.

(edited)
10 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

For the record it has nothing to do with Uhura being a black female and everything to do with the character's role. They pushed Uhura to the front, ahead of Bones, but her role/function within the story (as Communications officer) is massively limited. In order to beef up her role they added the love interest and possibly one leg to a love triangle (i swore that's where they were going in 2009) aspect;  which isn't exactly what I need or want in a strong female character.  So yes, I would have rathered they added Number One as a main character since she was a military/command officer and could offer more options within the story.

As for beefing up both? What other character could they shove into the background to make room? Spock?  Kirk?  In TOS Kirk/Spock/Bones were the main characters while Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov were all supporting characters.  They already pushed Uhura ahead of Bones, I seriously doubt pushing someone ahead of Spock or Kirk would have been all that well received.   

In TNG Worf, the tactical officer, was the one who got to say "Hailing frequencies open."  That would have been an interesting twist to make Uhura the tactical officer.

A Tasha Yar type character could have been cool. Although,  I think Chekov is the tactical officer? I know he was tactical and security starting with TMP, uncertain as to his function in New Trek.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)
10 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

Did you ever consider a Star Trek where both Uhura AND Number One exist as strong, multi-dimensional female characters, or is Trek like Highlander?  There can be only one? 

If they start taking heads aboard the Enterprise, I'm in!

Edited by millennium

I'm predisposed to be cynical about this movie simply because I have a strong dislike of Simon Pegg.   Stomaching him as Scotty is one thing; knowing he wrote the script will probably be insurmountable.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

A big deal was always made about how Uhura was a woman of color in a prominent position on a primetime series, so even if her role didn't amount to more than "hailing frequencies open" or occasionally serenading off-duty crew members in the lounge, there was that.   But yeah, when you get down to it Uhura was a sexy, 23rd-century switchboard operator.

Edited by millennium
13 hours ago, millennium said:

I'm predisposed to be cynical about this movie simply because I have a strong dislike of Simon Pegg.   Stomaching him as Scotty is one thing; knowing he wrote the script will probably be insurmountable.

Simon Pegg is indeed very hateable, often representing the worst kind of fanboy.

I think they've done a good job utilizing more of Uhura though they defined her too much by her relationship with Spock in the last movie.  My dislike of Pegg aside, I do like the character having a bigger role and his relationship with Kirk I thought was a highlight of the last movie.

(edited)

For the record it has nothing to do with Uhura being a black female and everything to do with the character's role. They pushed Uhura to the front, ahead of Bones, but her role/function within the story (as Communications officer) is massively limited. In order to beef up her role they added the love interest and possibly one leg to a love triangle (i swore that's where they were going in 2009) aspect;  which isn't exactly what I need or want in a strong female character.  So yes, I would have rathered they added Number One as a main character since she was a military/command officer and could offer more options within the story.

As for beefing up both? What other character could they shove into the background to make room? Spock?  Kirk?  In TOS Kirk/Spock/Bones were the main characters while Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov were all supporting characters.  They already pushed Uhura ahead of Bones, I seriously doubt pushing someone ahead of Spock or Kirk would have been all that well received.

If the "problem" with Uhura is the vagueness of her role as a Communications Officer, the franchise could easily solve that by concentrating on her intelligence duties instead of her communications duties or by promoting her to a different role altogether.That doesn't answer my basic question though. Why Uhura OR Number One and not Uhura AND Number One? 

As for beefing up both? What other character could they shove into the background to make room? Spock?  Kirk?  In TOS Kirk/Spock/Bones were the main characters while Scotty, Uhura, Sulu and Chekov were all supporting characters.

Chekov.  What role does he serve that Spock/Scotty/Sulu don't already fill?  And to show that I'm equal opportunity, I would trade Carol Marcus for Number One in a heartbeat.

Edited by LydiaMoon1
(edited)

I was trying to stay out of this because of how much hate I have for this poor excuse for Star Trek. These rebooted characters, are so far from the characters, especially for the women, that were in the pilot for Star Trek. Now I know the original pilot was never aired by it self but as part of a two part arc with the final 1960's cast. But the depiction of the women were so superior to the women of this rebooted garbage. I remember how much I loved the character of number 1. Now having said that, in reality, the closes any form of Star Trek has gotten to the pilot women, has been in Deep Space Nine and Voyager. With most of the Voyager women, being a pleasure to watch, week in and week out. And for sure the women of Voyager certainly knew how to handle romantic relationships in a professional manner. Which the same cannot be said for this Uhura.

Uhura as a tactical officer, now there is a laugh, this rebooted Uhura has no sense of tact. Kissing, pouting, arguing and being relationship bitchy while on duty and in uniform. Way to portray a strong woman in any century. As for the job title of Communications Officer, if this was good Star Trek, the job would rate a bridge position at this point in the Federation history. After all you are just beginning to explore the galaxy. With messages on all frequencies from subspace to the full spectrum of radio waves, coming at you weak and at the speed of light, while you are moving through subspace at speeds of 300 to 400 times the speed of light. Not to mention having to distinguish between back ground noise and actual language from any number of species.

In short this reboot garbage is bad fiction from a science point, military ship point, and depending how you view good leaders with the fate of many others in their hands, a good leadership point.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 1
(edited)

Somewhat random.  I was watching Star Trek 009 and Into Darkness tonight and just realized that Beastie Boys are part of New Trek. Sabotage is played when Tween Jim Kirk stills his step fathers car in 2009.  In Into Darkness we have another Beastie Boys song (don't recognize it) playing when Kirk is in bed with the twins.

I guess that first ST Beyond Trailer wasn't so out there for using Sabotage again.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
On 5/31/2016 at 5:39 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Somewhat random.  I was watching Star Trek 009 and Into Darkness tonight and just realized that Beastie Boys are part of New Trek. Sabotage is played when Tween Jim Kirk stills his step fathers car in 2009.  In Into Darkness we have another Beastie Boys song (don't recognize it) playing when Kirk is in bed with the twins.

I guess that first ST Beyond Trailer wasn't so out there for using Sabotage again.  

Star Trek 2009 also brought the word "fuck" into Star Trek. Prior to this movie the strongest curse word (if you weren't translating from Klingon) was shit. But when Young Kirk is rebelling to the beat of "Sabotage" you can clearly hear the line about how Mike D has "this fucking thorn in my side".

But as for the Beastie Boys they name check Spock in "Intergalactic". So does this mean the next Trek movie is going to be a time travel adventure in which the crew teams up with the Beastie Boys to defeat some pan-galactic evil? Too bad MCA is no longer with us. I'd be much more excited about such a movie than this one and I'm as Trekkie as one can get. But I find myself watching the Star Wars: Rogue One trailer over and over again and then when I stumble across news about this movie I find myself saying "oh, right... that is coming out soon. I guess I'll have to go see it."

• Love 2
On 5/31/2016 at 8:39 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Abrams' conspicuous, gratuitous and self-serving inclusion of the Beastie Boys in the Star Trek movies does nothing but rob the story of the illusion that the action occurs in the future.  It is a crass reminder of our own century, when unimaginative radio station program directors still cling to the lazy delusion that the Beastie Boys represent "alternative" music.

I don't like the new Star Trek at all and would trade all three movies in a heartbeat for a good Star Trek TNG film.

(Full disclosure: I have always thought the Beasties were a bunch of untalented assholes.)

• Love 1
On 6/7/2016 at 4:45 AM, dwmarch said:

But as for the Beastie Boys they name check Spock in "Intergalactic". So does this mean the next Trek movie is going to be a time travel adventure in which the crew teams up with the Beastie Boys to defeat some pan-galactic evil? Too bad MCA is no longer with us.

A remake of the "Intergalactic" video featuring the Beastie Boys, cast of the movie and a cardboard Enterprise instead of a robot would have been the best thing ever!

On 5/21/2016 at 8:51 AM, Sweet Tee said:

Well, I liked the new trailer.  But then, I never hated the first trailer either.  There's always a lot of action in these movies.  I don't know why everyone's is acting like that's new.  I hated Into Darkness.  Hated it.  But, I love this cast and I loved the '09 movie so I'm optimistic for this one.  JJ never really cared about Trek.  He had his eye on Star Wars the whole time.  At least Simon Pegg and Justin Lin (I think) are actually fans of Trek.

On 5/24/2016 at 7:04 PM, millennium said:

Yeah, Pegg's fannishness includes ridiculous sight gags and reducing Scotty to a slapstick comedy character. I'd prefer it if he hated Trek and wanted nothing to do with it.

16 hours ago, millennium said:

Abrams' conspicuous, gratuitous and self-serving inclusion of the Beastie Boys in the Star Trek movies does nothing but rob the story of the illusion that the action occurs in the future.  It is a crass reminder of our own century, when unimaginative radio station program directors still cling to the lazy delusion that the Beastie Boys represent "alternative" music.

I don't like the new Star Trek at all and would trade all three movies in a heartbeat for a good Star Trek TNG film.

(Full disclosure: I have always thought the Beasties were a bunch of untalented assholes.)

Millennium, will you take my hand in sham marriage? The only thing I've liked about the Abrams movies is Karl Urban's eerily accurate imitation of DeForest Kelley's performance as Dr. McCoy (seriously, did he get possessed by the man's ghost?), and I loathe the Beastie Boys.

16 hours ago, millennium said:

I agree with pretty much everything you say, except I like some of the Beastie Boys songs (just not in Star Trek).  I've always hated JJ Abrams, I think he's a hack whose sole talent is generating hype and his movies come off like bad fanfiction.  Not only did he include the Beastie Boys in that scene but he also had Kirk steal a car (in the future where they have transporters) get pursued by a robot traffic cop (where they have transporters), and then drive off a cliff (in Iowa).  It looks the same for Beyond judging by the motocross scene in the trailer.  It doesn't feel like the future and betrays a lack of imagination on Abrams' part.

12 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

The only thing I've liked about the Abrams movies is Karl Urban's eerily accurate imitation of DeForest Kelley's performance as Dr. McCoy (seriously, did he get possessed by the man's ghost?), and I loathe the Beastie Boys

Karl Urban was the best thing about those movies.  The rest of the recast ranges from Meh to OK (although I think with the right writing, John Cho would be a good Sulu).

Agreed on Cho, though I'd say the recast goes all the way down to horrible for Simon Pegg, Alice Eve, and Bumblebee Crackerjack. I've really liked Pine and Quinto in other things, but neither manages to sell me on their Star Trek characters: Kirk should be charming and rakish, not a glib, entitled fratbro who's handed everything because of who his father was; Spock shouldn't be seething with barely-restrained murderous anger in every scene and read as regarding all his co-workers with contempt. As for Uhura, well, I just wish Nicole Baharie had been a big enough name in 2008 to be cast instead of Saldana. I think she could have brought much the same sense of quiet professionalism and grace to the character as Nichelle Nichols.

Speaking of Spock, I suppose I should mention that every moment Leonard Nimoy was onscreen was golden. But that's hardly a surprise, and I really perceive him as more of a holdover from TOS than part of Abram's vision.

• Love 1

I can see what you mean about Simon Pegg as Scotty.  I had forgotten (or blocked the memory of) Scotty being shunted through the various pipes of the Enterprise Brewery, I mean Engine Room.  I can't really judge Alice Eve as the character was written so differently from the Original Carol Marcus, I can't see her as the same character.  I also agree with your take on Pine and Quinto.  I also think Nicole Beharie would have made an awesome Uhura.  I think Saldana could be all right, if she hadn't been hamstrung with the Spoke romance.

Totally agree about Nimoy.  I think Leonard Nimoy was there to draw in the old fans so they can say "yes, this really is Star Trek".  Without him in Star Trek Beyond, any connection to the Real Star Trek is lost.  Add in the fact that Brian Fuller's bringing Star Trek back to TV (and awesome fan projects like Prelude to Axanar), I think people are seeing that Abramstrek is going stale.

Shortly before the release of Into Darkness, the studios have been on a campaign to let people know they are dumbing down Star Trek in order to get a wider audience. Well they have succeeded, by putting really bad Star Trek on the screen and alienating good solid scifi fans and totaling ticking off hardcore Star Trek fans. But they are not worried, because now they have the Hunger Games crowd set, streaming into Star Trek movies. They could easily make a cerebral Star Trek that makes lots of money. But it would take someone with a good bit of S.T.E.M. knowledge and understanding of the vastness of space along with how good strong confident military organizations function. Ahhh But!

We are truly in the golden age of Young Adult Chick Sci Fi.

• Love 3

Rather than recast him for the next film after this, I imagine they'll just contrive a promotion/transfer for Chekov that took him off ship.

With most of the characters that wouldn't work, but conveniently Chekov is the one where it would, since he was the one "add on" who wasn't even originally there. 

• Love 3

That is so sad about Yelchin, and what an awful way to go.  He was great as Chekov, but moreover, he had real potential as an actor, and I looked forward to his future roles.  My condolences to his loved ones, and may he RIP.

• Love 7

I thought I was going to make it through this weekend without hearing anything this sad.  RIP to Anton and best wishes to his family.

I was really looking forward to seeing more from him.  I thought he did really well as the lead in Odd Thomas, and was sad it didn't get a wide release.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

So sad and horrible. I only hope he didn't suffer alone at all;

From the description of the accident, I hate to say it, but he probably did. It sounds like  a hard impact, leaving him pinned, with internal bleeding and eventually organ failure. 

That's a hard thing to contemplate though.

On 6/17/2016 at 10:12 PM, Kromm said:

It's not impossible to make it. It's impossible to SELL it. 

It depends... if you can't sell it to Legendary / RatPac / Atlas / Dune, you can't even make it.

Also, I LOVE that the Beyond poster (and that SFX cover) calls back to the original ST:TMP poster! (Courtesy Wikipedia).

Star_Trek_The_Motion_Picture_poster.png