Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Vince Neil/Gunnar Nelson

(edited)

Somehow, I found this episode to be both boring AND enjoyable.  Vince Neil being completely flummoxed by a grocery store was sort of cute, and I was impressed that Gunnar handled the whole, "SURPRISE!  You have to go out and sing the National Anthem in front of a stadium full of people right now with no practice or warm up!" thing really well.  Assuming, of course, that it was actually a surprise.  Which it probably wasn't.  Sigh...why do I watch reality TV, again?

Vince is much wealthier than I had realized.  Gunnar's hair has hung in there nicely, and I can't really blame him for not wanting to wear the wig.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 5

It looks like Gunnar has managed his money well. It doesn't look like he squandered it.  He and his family have a very nice home. 

I'm glad to see Vince's SO has not yet turned to plastic.  Some of his past women have been way over sculpted.  I think it was lucky that Vince didn't lose one of those big honking rings while mixing the meatloaf and no one bit into it.  

Other than that, pretty tame episode.  I don't really mind though.  It is interesting to see how these people live. It looks like Gunnar is pretty happy.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I saw Motley Crue in concert in the '80s, too.  I knew they all had done well, but I didn't expect him to have held on to so much of the money the way he was always known to party it away like it's nothing.  You can see the hard living all over him now, that's for sure.  No wonder this is the final tour!

The way his stepchildren adore Gunnar says everything I need to know about him.  He sure has stepped up as a great father to them.

What in the HOLY HELL was Vince Neil's daughter wearing around her neck when they all went out to dinner?  It looked like some kind of prosthetic made to look like her throat had been slashed.  I was glad to see whatever it was gone when she showed up at the house for the Great Meatloaf Caper.  Vince and Robin Leach make a funny little unexpected pair of friends.

Edited by Irritable
  • Love 5

Wow, I was almost blinded by all the white teeth on this show! 

I was impressed by Gunnar and his wife because they seem down to earth.  I hope Rain isn't counting on marriage, because I don't think Vince is ready for wife #5.

(edited)

Random Thoughts:

Impressed that Vince has CLEARLY managed his money well.  That alone tips my hat to him:  Given the trappings of 80's metal hair bands...he clearly managed to build on it, rather than squander it.   And I was surprised that I ended up liking his girlfriend as much as I did.

Gunnar seems quite grounded - and I get his rationale that he'd live in a showbiz family most of his life, and didn't want to fall victim to it.  And I do strongly admire how he's taken those girls as his own:  It's difficult under the best of circumstances, and he's done it beautifully.

But, for the love of God...could they quit calling Gunnar a 'rock star'!  He was POP!  lol.  (And, given the number of times Vince was clearly hammered in his TH's...I'm pretty sure I got a contact high just watching him.)

Watching Robin Lynch eat Meatloaf made me LOL.  Vince and shopping/cooking cracked me up:  He's obviously never made a meatloaf, given he wore those rings while mixing it.  Total n00b move.  lol)

Edited by BeatrixK
  • Love 2

Random Thoughts:

Impressed that Vince has CLEARLY managed his money well.  That alone tips my hat to him:  Given the trappings of 80's metal hair bands...he clearly managed to build on it, rather than squander it.   And I was surprised that I ended up liking his girlfriend as much as I did.

Gunnar seems quite grounded - and I get his rationale that he'd live in a showbiz family most of his life, and didn't want to fall victim to it.  And I do strongly admire how he's taken those girls as his own:  It's difficult under the best of circumstances, and he's done it beautifully.

But, for the love of God...could they quit calling Gunnar a 'rock star'!  He was POP!  lol.  (And, given the number of times Vince was clearly hammered in his TH's...I'm pretty sure I got a contact high just watching him.)

Watching Robin Lynch eat Meatloaf made me LOL.  Vince and shopping/cooking cracked me up:  He's obviously never made a meatloaf, given he wore those rings while mixing it.  Total n00b move.  lol)

It was fun to see Robin and Vince were friends.  And he liked the meatloaf.

• Love 1

I really liked Vince Neil. He has a rock n roll lifestyle with no apologies. He's suffered great tragedy with the death of his daughter and you can see he carries a lot of pain.

I found Gunnar Nelson to be a smug, condescending bore. His arrogance was palpable. I don't know what he ha to be so stuck up about. He and his brother were a novelty act in the 80's (ooh look! Ozzie Nelson's grandsons! And they're twins! And they're blond! And their Uncle is Mark Harmon from St. Elsewhere!)

I liked his wife but hated Gunnar.

• Love 3
(edited)

Hearing Gunnar friggin Nelson referred to as a "heavy metal dad" cracked me up. Nothing heavy or metal about Nelson.

I also laughed when he said he didn't want his career turned into a joke. Nelson has been a joke since their first song hit.

Another big laugh at Gunnar being compared to Vince in terms of career. I could put Gunnar in a room with a bunch of people and nobody would know his name. Put Vince in that same room and most would know who he is.

Swedee, I agree with your comment. Nelson was always a joke.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

From the first few minutes - Vince's girlfriend Rain says:

"I've definitely never dated a rock star, EVER!  I mean, I've dated  rock stars, but....."

Vince chimes in "but not THE rockstar"

What in the world? 

• Love 1

From the first few minutes - Vince's girlfriend Rain says:

"I've definitely never dated a rock star, EVER!  I mean, I've dated  rock stars, but....."

Vince chimes in "but not THE rockstar"

What in the world? 

That was so weird! I can think of 15 people I'd consider "THE rock star" before… Vince Neil. Who I have to correct myself from calling Vince Gill. Who I sometimes get mixed up with Brett Michaels and Sammy Hagar, because that kind of music is just a blur to me. "THE rock star" is Mick Jagger, or Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, David Bowie, Steven Tyler, Prince, hell, I'd even put Buddy Holly ahead of Vince Gill I mean Neil.

This episode didn't really faze me. I liked Vince a smidgen more than expected, and Gunnar a smidgen less, but neither really bothered me or blew me away.

• Love 4

I liked both couples on this one.  At first, I thought Rain was going to be one of those airhead groupies but I liked her and I was wrong.  I loved her dog and I wouldn't want anyone touching/playing with my dog either.  I'm glad she got a ring although I don't think they will last but I hope they do.  Gunnar and his wife (and family) I liked.  I liked how hands on he was, especially when he came into a ready made family.  You'd never know it, if they didn't say it either.  So nice.  Gunnar while I liked he must have been confusing his career with someone else because his recollection was not what I remembered and I think what most did also. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I really liked Vince Neil. He has a rock n roll lifestyle with no apologies. He's suffered great tragedy with the death of his daughter and you can see he carries a lot of pain.

Vince Neil seems like a cool guy on any reality show I've ever seen him on. I remember liking him on The Surreal Life and Behind The Music. But he's an assclown for dubbing himself "the rockstar" and using that moniker as an excuse to not grow up. He's still partying hard and drinking in excess and surrounding himself with hot women like he did back in the 80s. He's got a long criminal past and even killed someone (and brain damaged 2 others) as a result of his drunk driving in the 80s. He was incredibly fortunate to only have to do 15 days in the slammer for it. Motley Crue's album "Theatre of Pain," which was released just over 30 years ago, was dedicated to Razzle who died in the crash. I'm sure he feels like he lives the best life, but I found his life quite sad. I found it quite pathetic (albeit entertaining) that his first time grocery shopping was on a reality show, and I too sense a lot of pain from his past there that he's trying to drown out with booze, women, and the rock n roll lifestyle, in general. I feel bad for Rain because I feel the love there. I just don't think it's in Vince to stay faithful, especially when he's out on the road. He seems all too content to live like a rockstar, which essentially, to Vince, means the rules of fidelity and sobriety don't apply.

I think people should evolve and shouldn't remain in sustained adolescence like Vince. It was great to see Gunnar take the role of family man so seriously. It upset me that Rain suggested that he needed to embrace his "rockstar" status more as if you have to act like Vince to be considered a "rockstar." Vince even seemed disappointed in what Gunnar has become when they met at the end. Gunnar has matured and discovered his Ozzie Nelson side, and he seems like a great dad. He needs to lighten up about his music career though. If Nelson was heavy metal, they were the equivalent of the Milli Vanilli of heavy metal (stylistically at least), and Gunnar should embrace the cheese he and his brother were. They made a lot of money and should laugh about it. In other words, he needs to wear those hair extensions with pride. That nice house he lives in now was paid for with those locks. No one is saying he can't be a serious performer today and create music he's proud of. I just don't think he should bite the spoon that fed him even though he has evolved as a person. He definitely can sing. He nailed the National Anthem.

I was annoyed by the presence of Robin Leach. I absolutely hated his celebrity wipe swap. He's such a pompous ass. I'm not surprised he and Vince are friends. I think they may have crossed paths on the reality show circuit. All in all, it was a good episode. I was just annoyed that Vince thinks he epitomizes "the rockstar." I much prefer rockstars like Gunnar who grow up.

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 7

I totally get Gunnar thinking a long hair wig would look like he was trying to recapture the past in a way that could be seen as a parody of himself and his family.  He would have looked ridiculous in public, wearing that wig.  He's not 18 any more.  It wasn't fair to have him sing the national anthem without some rehearsal.

I also think that it's entirely appropriate for parents to not want their daughters to look slutty.  it's not over-controlling, and it has nothing to do with "trust" to have a 14 year old dress with some modesty.  it's not safe for young girls to have the philosophy "if you got, it flaunt it", and trying to look like an adult.    The skirt she was wearing at the baseball game made her look like a hooker. 

Rain needs to stop saying "Rockstar".    

• Love 1

Gunnar was on Celebrity Boot Camp.  He claimed that his mom always referred to him as "The chubby one".  He wasn't heavy to begin with. By the end of the show he was pretty lean.  I noticed that he looked like he was at a healthy weight now and hadn't really put much of it back on.

I have no idea what Matthew has been up to.  He has stayed very private.  

I didn't like Lila saying Vince needs to take responsibility and calm down, why? His children are grown and if the spoiled dog where hungry it would eat and Rain clearly enjoys that lifestyle. He can afford it and enjoys it. I mean the fact that he didn't change his lifestyle when his children were growing up means he was probably a shifty dad but he seems to have a decent relationship with his daughter. But now he doesn't have any real reason to change his lifestyle, certainly not for the damn dog. I mean taking him into nature and telling him to show Rain he loves her but the other aspects were dumb.

I did like how close Gunnar was to his daughter and was surprised that he had only been in their lives for less than three years.

I was with Gunnar, I hate long hair but even if I didn't a wig would have looked stupid and its not like long hair is the only or even most current look for a "rock star." And the surprising him with singing a notoriously difficult song was shifty. I mean the reason they did it was obviously so more peopl.in the stands would actually recognize him but just have him throw out the first pitch, it would have accomplished the same thing.

• Love 2

I'm a kid from the 80's but was not a MC fan so I didn't know who Vince Neil was but I did recognize Gunnar.  I think Gunnar looks ridiculous with that damn hairstyle he has now so the long haired wig wouldn't have looked any more ridiculous.  Vince Neil looks bloated and sad to me and I like I said I wouldn't know him from Adam's snake. Note to Rain, "Honey, he's been married 4 times before don't get too attached."  Why do guys like this continue to get married?  Why don't they just keep a girlfriend or hookers?  Why mess up another person's life?

• Love 2

I watched a reality show he did on VH1 called Remaking Vince Neil, where he was trying to stage some sort of solo career comeback. Throughout, he was working on a new song called, "Promise Me," which is still one of my top 10 guilty pleasures!

• Love 1

I figured I would walk away from this episode hating Vince and Rain but color me surprised, I liked both.  Sure, Vince is still stuck in his 80s heyday and I wouldn't want to live with him or anything but he seemed like a fun, relatively easy going guy.  He didn't balk at any of the changes Lila proposed, he took care of the dog, went on the walk with her, admitted he never went grocery shopping and made the dinner she requested.  He seemed like a good sport about the whole thing.

Rain seemed like a sweet person who truly loves Vince and while I do agree that Gunnar needs to maybe take a step back and let the girls make some decision on their own, I may not feel comfortable with my 14 year old daughter wearing some of those clothes either.  That said, he seems like a very loving and attentive stepfather so props for that.  He does seem very happy with his life although he wasn't as easygoing with the changes as Vince, surprisingly.

Lila came off as a lovely person and this is one of the few episodes I've seen where all parties seem ideally suited for each other. 

• Love 4

What in the HOLY HELL was Vince Neil's daughter wearing around her neck when they all went out to dinner?  It looked like some kind of prosthetic made to look like her throat had been slashed.  I was glad to see whatever it was gone when she showed up at the house for the Great Meatloaf Caper. 

Thank you for explaining this.  I wasn't paying 100% attention when I was watching and when I caught  glimpse of her neck, I actually thought it was a real cut.  Your explanation makes total sense.  Other than at Halloween, why would anyone wear that?

I found Gunnar Nelson to be a smug, condescending bore. His arrogance was palpable. I don't know what he ha to be so stuck up about. He and his brother were a novelty act in the 80's (ooh look! Ozzie Nelson's grandsons! And they're twins! And they're blond! And their Uncle is Mark Harmon from St. Elsewhere!)

I have no idea what Matthew has been up to.  He has stayed very private.  

I was on a cruise a year or two ago and Gunnar and Matthew performed on the ship.  They sang their songs and some of their dad's songs.  They showed a lot of slides with family pictures and told a lot of stories. I have to say, they seemed genuinely appreciative, humble, etc. I was quite impressed with them.

Note to Rain, "Honey, he's been married 4 times before don't get too attached."  Why do guys like this continue to get married?  Why don't they just keep a girlfriend or hookers?  Why mess up another person's life?

I assumed that Vince is not planning to get married again -- I thought the ring was symbolic of his love for Rain, but wasn't an engagement ring.  Whether or not Rain is too attached is another question -- they definitely seem to have built a life together, so I think she would be quite upset if he broke up with her.

• Love 1
(edited)

I went into this one assuming Vince would piss me right off and was actually shocked. Not that i would ever want to be in a relationship with him but he seemed really fun to hang out with. He certainly took the rule change well. I found Gunner a wee bit pretentious. But i also think that is a defense mechanism for him maybe. Their kids were delightful. Nice girls for sure and an awesome relationship with a stepfather.Rain is just naive i think . Vince shopping and making the meatloaf made me howl with laughter. I actually think Gunnars wife kind of looked like a Vegas showgirl with her platinum hair and heavily made up face.

I liked this one!

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 1

I never thought Nelson was a joke. They were very pretty boys, but I think they had some talent. I still like their song "Love and Affection". 

Actually, they've put out a couple of albums in recent years - Lightning Strikes Twice and Peace Out.  I think both are quite good.  If you enjoyed the early stuff, you may enjoy these, too.

• Love 1