Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Bassholes

Jane and Maura find themselves submerged in the cutthroat, high stakes world of competitive bass fishing when a tournament-leading fisherman is killed. At the same time, Frankie is paying the price after losing a bet.

(edited)

WTF with the Skeet storyline?  It’s not cute when men don’t take no for an answer, demand a reason for a total stranger not wanting to date them, and make an all-around nuisance of themselves.

This was a serviceable episode otherwise, but every minute he was on screen was annoying.

Frankie's "Bassholes" joke might have been funny, in a groaning way, if they hadn't given it away in the title.

Jane always makes me laugh with her reactions to Maura's food, but it's simultaneously annoying because Jane would not have that body on a diet of caffeine, sugar, and alcohol.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Ah, the perfect episode. Get Jane to row Maura out on a lake- platonic. Have Maura tell someone to lie because she wanted Jane to row them around- makes sense. It's the perfect episode... for queer baiting. lol. Sorry I couldn't resist after reading Nash say R&I would never happen.

On a serious note, everything was boring except Angela (that side plot kinda fizzled out actually). Perfect amount of screen time because I actually forgot she had been on at the beginning when she showed up at the station. The bet subplot was lame, the case predictable. And I was kinda disgusted by Skeet. I was only kinda disgusted because I like the actor, if it had been anyone else I would be talking about the sexist " no means try harder. you'll eventually wear her down" bs.

• Love 2

The actor playing Skeet looked familiar to me, but I can't place from where -- I checked his credits on IMDb and, damn, does he have a lot of them, but I don't recognize any of them.

The things Korsak makes people who lose a bet to him do are silly but not humiliating, so I'm not annoyed by that, but I also think that since Skeet proved people can just walk in and out of the precinct, it's dumb to be doing flour baby type things in the workplace.  Also, who the hell agrees to a bet in which the terms will be set after the fact?  And if this is such a common practice of Korsak, how was it a surprise to Frankie?

I'm with Maura on the new guy - I still don't know what to make of him.

• Love 2

He was on a bunch of shows years ago, a couple lifetime movies I think, but I remember him best from Charmed lol. I don't know why I like him, he just seems like a nice guy despite the type of character he usually plays.

He was on a bunch of shows years ago, a couple lifetime movies I think, but I remember him best from Charmed lol.

That's where I best remember him from too. Considering his character on that show hounded Prue for a date, I kept thinking this must be what happened to his character after Bucklands went under.

• Love 1

By the end of the episode I was hoping Jane would punch The Skeetster in the throat. What an annoying creep.

Throat punching is the only acceptable response to a man who tells a woman she finds him attractive.

I could barely concentrate on the main plot Skeet was so annoying. Although I did recognise the murderer from when she was a bomb tech who tortured a guy who put a hit on her in NCIS.

• Love 2

I really disliked this episode. I just checked and the premiere was written by Jan Nash. This one was very clearly not since they could have almost been from different series. She needs to get all the scripts much closer in line.

What was that opening scene at Maura's? 1) Does Jane really stop by Maura's every morning to scrounge for breakfast? 2) Are we continuing the bullshit that whatever mood Angela is in she takes over the whole house with, here banning anything white in Maura's kitchen? 3) Does this confirm my long held suspicion that Angela handles the household chores like grocery shopping? 4) I can understand why Maura doesn't mind Angela still staying there since she lives alone and has a separate guest house but with Jane coming and going as well, it's hit a weird roommate point. 5) It makes me like Maura more that even with all the crazy, she seems to just eat her preferred breakfasts and do her thing. And she keeps said breakfasts in a refrigerator I would kill for. 6) While I was totally on Jane's side that everyone should not have to be party to the diet, a) go buy your own food grown ass adult and b) she was such a child about it that I wanted to mute her. Keep your pop tart and alcohol for a hot body delusions to your self Jane.

Skeet wasn't my type but as soon as Jane revealed that she had been reading the fishing book, I figured her reactions were becoming equal parts disinterest and fourth grade cooties. Or as Maura said more elegantly, being unable to get past the shiny Skeeter jacket and embarrassing fisherman occupation.

Why does Jane hate Kent so much? She heard his name and has hated him ever since. His dead pan of course when she asked him if he hunted and skinned his belt made me laugh. I'm still not 100% sold on him either but I do like his interactions with Maura. Considering she is supposed to be training him, they've managed to keep them professional, without him pulling out any random superman skills or save the day knowledge, and kept her clearly the boss.

I seldom notice the romantic undertones that the shippers see but this ep, it was blatant IMO. All of the conversations and interactions could have been played as the close female friendship I feel like they have and normally see but instead, they were tilted just far enough to have a romantic undertone.

I didn't like the row boat scene in general. Jane's childishness was dialed up to ten throughout the episode but in that scene, across from Maura in her cute yellow pants and matching black hat, she just had a tag along vibe that I disliked. Her whiny 'you got to talk, why don't I get to' rant did not help that at all. But Maura telling Jane she was afraid because Skeet 'doesn't look like what she thought she was looking for' and Jane replying that she doesn't know what she is looking for was flat out baiting. Then there was Maura's scene with Kent. I didn't mind the part about not rowing. I would make Jane row if I had the opportunity too, just to keep her occupied. That's just good friendship. Kent is not Maura's friend. But her response of 'me too' was just odd. First, a response was not actually needed which Maura would recognize. Second, it was not a very Maura-like response. Why not a quote? Or a factoid about the randomness of like?

Overall I just hated this ep and I intend to pretend it doesn't exist.

I didn't like the row boat scene in general....But Maura telling Jane she was afraid because Skeet 'doesn't look like what she thought she was looking for' and Jane replying that she doesn't know what she is looking for was flat out baiting

I see what you did there - clever!

• Love 2
(edited)

I was so hoping that Skeet was somehow the murderer. He had no motive or anything, I just wanted him in jail.

Edited to correct my Freudian slip that I wrote I hoped Skeet was the murdered.

Edited by Beezella
  • Love 4

I was so hoping that Skeet was somehow the murderer. He had no motive or anything, I just wanted him in jail.

Edited to correct my Freudian slip that I wrote I hoped Skeet was the murdered.

By the end of the episode I would have taken either one murderer or murdered.

• Love 3

The actor playing Skeet looked familiar to me, but I can't place from where -- I checked his credits on IMDb and, damn, does he have a lot of them, but I don't recognize any of them.

Apparently he's had a role in pretty much every procedural I've ever watched - so while I don't remember the characters he played specifically, at least I know why his face is familiar.

Though the "won't take no for an answer" approach bothered me, I was most bothered by the fact that he got into areas of the police station where sensitive information about the case was on display. That seems unlikely, and sloppy writing to me. I did think, however, there was some chemistry between them. I just wish it had been addressed in less stalkery fashion.

I also felt Jane was particularly childish in this episode. I'll have to admit though, I laughed out loud when Frankie's flour baby exploded - which was a pretty childish joke.

I kind of like the new guy. Maybe it's just that I enjoy hearing his accent. :)

• Love 1

Skeet was played by Lochlyn Munro, who has a really long IMDB list of roles, mostly short stints--which, rightly or wrongly, always makes me think that the actor must be difficult or annoying to work with, but good enough to keep getting roles. If my theory is correct, maybe he was playing himself.

I was most bothered by the fact that he got into areas of the police station where sensitive information about the case was on display. That seems unlikely, and sloppy writing to me.

Because of this, I kept expecting him to be revealed as the new ADA, or someone else maybe higher up the police brass food chain. I was waiting for him to show up somewhere in a suit and tie, all professional and intelligent...and less annoying.

• Love 1

Catching up on the last two eps. That was some TERRIBLE writing, and Skeet was so awkwardly shoehorned in. He saw a cop at a crime scene and named his boat for her after annoying her for 2 days? What?  And I completely agree with the shipper baiting.

Also, Lorraine Bracco is looking...odd...in the face.  Maybe I've just noticed, because I was paying more attention than usual.

When Skeeter came onscreen I said to my GF, "I recognize him, but don't know what he was in. Seems like he always plays an asshole".

Way late on watching this ep, but Lochlyn Monroe will always remind me of Dead Man on Campus, in which he was mother-effin hilarious.