Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: New Captain On The Block

• Start Topic

The rest of the fleet arrives in Dutch Harbor to take Opilio season by storm. Jake Anderson prepares to captain the Saga for the first time. Captain Andy Hillstrand returns to find the Time Bandit in disarray. Keith Colburn's new greenhorn turns heads.

I liked this episode. I like it when you get to see all the boats.

So I'm guessing Danny sabotaged all those pots? I don't think the guys would have slacked off that much, especially Axl, so it was annoying when Andy was starting to yell at them. I'm surprised that at least the possibility of Cookie Monster wrecking their pots hasn't crossed their minds.

Is Andy the older brother?

Oh Jake, get it together man! At first I thought Sig was visiting Jake, but then I finally realized Jake was hanging out at the NW.

Wild Bill finally got some revenge on Sig.

I find it odd that the lady whose been on boats most of her life has seasickness, but I suppose maybe she hasn't been in rough waters like these.

and of course the CM has problems. They always have problems. I don't know if they'll ever start a season on time.

• Love 1

Have only watched The Bait, recorded DC.  Andy really went off on Jonathan about how he handled the crazy guy.  I think his approach was better than Andy's idea of tying him up and risking being sued.  I am beginning to like Jon more and Andy, not so much.  

• Love 3
(edited)

They said on the Bait -- the episode a couple weeks ago, I think -- that they ALL get seasick when they first head out on a trip. It lasts anything from a few hours to a few days, but eventually they get their sea legs. It was just part of her "story" to show her getting seasick -- because she's a weak woman!

I read a lot of blogs of people who live on sailboats and cruise around the world. Despite living on a sailboat, they spend weeks or months in each country they visit. And when they head offshore to the next location, they too get seasick. Very, very common.

Edited by rainsmom
  • Love 8

Watch the Bait, did they ever say how Phillip was doing?

I think Jon was copping out on Danny.  He didn't know that Danny took a hit on Phillip? 

Bill's revenge on Sig was good.

Jake's not ready to captain a vessel.  He's nervous about getting the boat off the dock?  I wouldn't want to be out in the Bering sea in an emergency or rough weather with him.

• Love 4

I'm just watching The Bait (shut the fuck up, Andy!).  Edgar has a comment from kassa to Wild Bill:

"I'm trying to put this as sensitively as I can, but Bill's sweater in The Bait, he just looked like a middle aged lady".

Was that you, kassa??? 

• Love 2

So I'm guessing Danny sabotaged all those pots? I don't think the guys would have slacked off that much, especially Axl, so it was annoying when Andy was starting to yell at them. I'm surprised that at least the possibility of Cookie Monster wrecking their pots hasn't crossed their minds.

Oh Jake, get it together man! At first I thought Sig was visiting Jake, but then I finally realized Jake was hanging out at the NW.

I find it odd that the lady whose been on boats most of her life has seasickness, but I suppose maybe she hasn't been in rough waters like these.

and of course the CM has problems. They always have problems. I don't know if they'll ever start a season on time.

I think it was Danny, too.  Sure, one or two pots could have been just wear and tear plus the guys not looking closely.  This was most of the pots AND they seemed to have holes in just about the same places.   Maybe where he was standing as they reloaded them.  All it would take was a little swipe with a box cutter.

Jake needs to stop whining.   I was right there with Sig.  Trying to be nice and supportive, don't sugar coat things.  Kick him in the arse to get him moving and tell him he'll be fine.   I think the Saga guys will be very different than the ones on the Kiska Sea.  The Saga crew WANTS someone decent with whom to work.

Something struck me about Wild Bill and Sig's pranks.  Both were funny and dramatic, but both could be undone in short order unlike that mess the Cornelia Marie guys did to the Time Bandit a few episodes back.   Wild Bill and Sig's groups play pranks that don't screw up the business side.

Regarding seasickness, many people who work on boats get sick the first day or two their out on the open ocean especially in weather like that.  I've worked on ships and seen it happen many times to people with all levels of experience.   It's just the way some people's ears work.   The people who have longer term seasickness occurring regularly end up not working off shore.

The CM should be shut down.  They're idiots.  There are updates to the fishing regulations pretty much every year.  This is their business, they should check stuff like that.  Stupid.  This is a hard life lesson.  

• Love 3

I'm sick of Josh but this episode there wasn't too much of him.

No, Andy's like a year younger than Jon.  I read "Time Bandit" and they have an interesting dynamic.  Apparently when they were younger, Jon was small and got bullied and Andy would fight them; that all stopped when Jon was a teenager and had a growth spurt.  I think Andy is very protective of Jon and feels he has to look out for him.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Kassa - Was that you? If so, very cool !!

All the captains have talked about getting seasick the first few days on the boat. Apparently it is pretty common.

Aiden Anderson is such a cute baby !  Jenna seems very understanding of his dream to be a captain. I also agree that the deckhands on the Saga are just looking for a decent captain who can run a safe boat and make them some money. I am tired of Jake's Whining though. He whines like a two year old and it drives me nuts.

I thought the prank by Wild Bill was funny too - nothng harmful but good fun.

I too was surprised about the screw up by Casey. I would have expected it from Josh but not him. However, he did man up and take the blame. Hopefully they got new pots when they re-tooled the boat when the new owners came aboard.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 2

Sig has said that Edgar gets sick at the start of every trip.  How cute was baby Aiden on The Bait?  It was sweet to see Wild Bill playing with the baby's little hands.  I loved hearing the Captains cremate Elliott.  I think if they had their way he would never step in the bridge of ANY fishing boat again.

I've decided the most important job on the boat is not the Captain but the deck boss.  When they have a strong deck boss, things go well even with greenhorns.  No real deck boss=chaos.  It was ridiculous for John to say that Axl and Philip (?) were supposed to be the deck bosses....they didn't know their jobs let alone have the ability to boss others.  He was making the same mistake that he did with Scottie...giving him way more responsibility than his experience could handle just because he was a Hillstrand.

• Love 4

I've decided the most important job on the boat is not the Captain but the deck boss.  When they have a strong deck boss, things go well even with greenhorns.  No real deck boss=chaos. 

I think that's part of the secret with the Northwestern, in addition to a more professional attitude overall.  Sig and Edgar are a team and know and trust each other's work (although they do occasionally prove that they're brothers by bickering).

• Love 4

I really hope on next weeks Bait they ask Andy about the conversation when he got on the boat and whether he's changed his mind or admits he was wrong about assuming that Johnathan could have handled wack-a-doodle-deckhand better  (now that they've aired and he's seen the footage).  A regular malcontent?  Sure Andy would have been right and Jon would have been expected to get control over him but this guy - no way was that ever going to happen.

If they found Disco footage where if you looked close you could see Danny sabotage the pots (not saying Disco hid it just that it wasn't noticeable unless you were really, really looking for it).............could they or would they charge Danny with vandalism or anything?

Jake - get a grip, get some self-confidence. Read a self-help book if you have to.  You are better than you think you are and the shortcomings and worry are in your head and only in your head.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Good to know about the seasickness thing! I hope she can recover from it soon, because I have the feeling I'm going to like her more than Mandy, if she proves to be a hard worker.

Andy seems so cut throat. He just seems to bulldoze over Johnathan every time he tries to say something. I'm also surprised that Johnathan is staying on for the trip instead of going home.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

Andy seems so cut throat. He just seems to bulldoze over Johnathan every time he tries to say something. I'm also surprised that Johnathan is staying on for the trip instead of going home.

I think that is the nature of their relationship; I think Jonathan takes it because he knows in the long run that Andy would do anything for him, and vice versa.  

• Love 3
I'm just watching The Bait (shut the fuck up, Andy!).  Edgar has a comment from kassa to Wild Bill:

"I'm trying to put this as sensitively as I can, but Bill's sweater in The Bait, he just looked like a middle aged lady".

Was that you, kassa???

I almost had a heart attack -- yes, it was my comment.  But I didn't "facebook or tweet" it, as Edgar implied -- I said it HERE, because I don't use this name on FB and I don't tweet at all.  Which means somebody in production is reading here. 

Will have to go back and find it.  I kind of feel bad.  It's a reminder that they're real people, after all.  I'm sure I've said much worse about his character, so I guess I got off easy.  Apologies, Bill.  Those were spiffy pants. All nautical!

• Love 11

I almost had a heart attack -- yes, it was my comment.  But I didn't "facebook or tweet" it, as Edgar implied -- I said it HERE, because I don't use this name on FB and I don't tweet at all.  Which means somebody in production is reading here.

If so, let's hope they caught up on the suggestion that Elliott be gone from the show and that we'd see a whole lot less of Josh.

• Love 4

In the same post I pleaded in ALL CAPS for them to get rid of the annoying fan girl picture clutter.  

So while they haven't exactly done that, I'm happy that the message must have been received, even if not acted upon.  

• Love 3

Wowza, kassa. Does this mean someone's going to tell Wild Bill about my undying love for his hair? (I like his shirt & sweaters, too). Yikes!!! :-)

His hair is magical. Has he ever revealed how he keeps it so majestic looking?

• Love 3

His hair is magical. Has he ever revealed how he keeps it so majestic looking?

No, but I am convinced it would feel just as soft as it looks, were someone to run their fingers through it.   Ahem.  :-)

• Love 3
(edited)

I think it was Danny, too.  Sure, one or two pots could have been just wear and tear plus the guys not looking closely.  This was most of the pots AND they seemed to have holes in just about the same places.   Maybe where he was standing as they reloaded them.  All it would take was a little swipe with a box cutter.

Jake needs to stop whining.   I was right there with Sig.  Trying to be nice and supportive, don't sugar coat things.  Kick him in the arse to get him moving and tell him he'll be fine.   I think the Saga guys will be very different than the ones on the Kiska Sea.  The Saga crew WANTS someone decent with whom to work.

Something struck me about Wild Bill and Sig's pranks.  Both were funny and dramatic, but both could be undone in short order unlike that mess the Cornelia Marie guys did to the Time Bandit a few episodes back.   Wild Bill and Sig's groups play pranks that don't screw up the business side.

Regarding seasickness, many people who work on boats get sick the first day or two their out on the open ocean especially in weather like that.  I've worked on ships and seen it happen many times to people with all levels of experience.   It's just the way some people's ears work.   The people who have longer term seasickness occurring regularly end up not working off shore.

The CM should be shut down.  They're idiots.  There are updates to the fishing regulations pretty much every year.  This is their business, they should check stuff like that.  Stupid.  This is a hard life lesson.  

Good theory about Danny sabotaging the pots.  I never would have thought of that.  I wonder if Jonathan thought about it but couldn't prove it? 

I wanted Sig to just give Jake a pep talk already but of course Sig is smarter than I am and gave it to him straight.  Still, I have a soft spot for Jake who has been through so much and still managed to work hard. 

I like seeing all the boats in one episode too but I can do without Josh bitching about not being ready to go while sitting in the captain's chair smoking with his feet up.  I don't understand why he couldn't pitch in, although I'm sure the thought never occurred to him.  

ETA:  I wanted to chime in the seasickness thing - my father was an oceanographer who almost always got seasick, especially at the beginning. In fact he's mentioned it more than once watching this show.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2

I wish we could see footage of Sig and his first time ever driving/being a Captain.  I'm sure it's on God's B roll somewhere. 

Nice stuff on The Bait this week--I rarely watch it but this episode was pretty informative.  The only thing I didn't like were those pictures popping up. Annoying. They should just collect them and post them on the website. 

I would have never thought Danny sabotaged the pots...wouldn't that hamper his paycheque?  I wouldn't put it past him, though. He seemed like he would do anything. Scary crazy. 

I like seeing all the boats in one episode too but I can do without Josh bitching about not being ready to go while sitting in the captain's chair smoking with his feet up.

When Casey was reading the red book and ignoring Josh's plaintive "um, should we _____?" question, I thought it was his way of saying "figure it out, dumbass. I'm not helping you with that decision."  Then the news.

I did get a bit confused, however.  The rules changed.  The rules took effect this year.  Surely this has been discussed prior to this year as people were switching to the new system.  It didn't really make sense to me that "other people have been fishing all along so they were ready."  At whatever point they were switching, it must have been a THING.  Was Casey not fishing crab prior to last year?  Even if he wasn't...not a single crewman had worked on a boat and said "you know, we had to re-rig everything to 8 holes... aren't you going to do that?"  If he'd been completely out of the loop, couldn't he have read the book before the day they were scheduled to leave? 

Did Casey know all along and want to see if Josh would catch it, and bwahaha this makes Josh lose money faster and ultimately sell out faster?  Because Casey didn't seem all that bummed about it, to tell you the truth.  Though this may have been because they were reenacting the moment of his realization, and not the actual moment of realization.  

• Love 5

When Casey was reading the red book and ignoring Josh's plaintive "um, should we _____?" question, I thought it was his way of saying "figure it out, dumbass. I'm not helping you with that decision."

I thought the same thing, and agree with the rest of your entire post. Seems like a pretty big thing to come up as a surprise. And Josh had better have spent some quality time on deck helping!! Not all captains would need to, but I think he sure does.

I was soooo glad to see my favorite Jake A moment - the jacket! (and long hair! sigh!)  I've watched this for a long time, and I still remember that episode. Caught his "not a whiner like his old man" line, but I can also appreciate not wanting to leave the safety and "home" of the Northwestern and venture out on his own. The first time a baby bird jumps out of that nest and tries to fly must be scary.  And I confess that I was glad to see Jake on the Bait - was worried about a captain's first trip being during opies. Hope it was a success. Darling baby, and loved his wife, too. Glad that she seems to appreciate exactly what she signed up for.

Interesting to see the exec producer's take on Elliott. I was thinking the same thing Andy said - that the fallout would be "enjoying watching someone's life fall apart," but then the followup was spot on:  Production gave Elliott had the chance to make this story a hero story, but he CHOSE to fail. Addiction not withstanding, he was on the ship knowing he was impaired. I would really like to know who ultimately pulled the plug on him - Disco or another outside entity.

Oh, and "Die Hard" - we were hysterical over here.  Too funny. Loved Edgar's get up.

• Love 1

When Casey was reading the red book and ignoring Josh's plaintive "um, should we _____?" question, I thought it was his way of saying "figure it out, dumbass. I'm not helping you with that decision."  Then the news.

I did get a bit confused, however.  The rules changed.  The rules took effect this year.  Surely this has been discussed prior to this year as people were switching to the new system.  It didn't really make sense to me that "other people have been fishing all along so they were ready."  At whatever point they were switching, it must have been a THING.  Was Casey not fishing crab prior to last year?  Even if he wasn't...not a single crewman had worked on a boat and said "you know, we had to re-rig everything to 8 holes... aren't you going to do that?"  If he'd been completely out of the loop, couldn't he have read the book before the day they were scheduled to leave? 

Did Casey know all along and want to see if Josh would catch it, and bwahaha this makes Josh lose money faster and ultimately sell out faster?  Because Casey didn't seem all that bummed about it, to tell you the truth.  Though this may have been because they were reenacting the moment of his realization, and not the actual moment of realization.  

I don't know the answer -- just guessing. Many times rules like these are announced several years in advance in order to give everyone time to upgrade their equipment. Casey noted that their equipment had been sitting on the beach for ten years, but everyone else was using new equipment. If there had been a 5-year "warning" -- which wouldn't be unusual -- then it's likely that all equipment purchased in the last 5 years had eight rings. Regardless, the captains would have begun planning for the change when it was announced -- they wouldn't have waited until the last minute.

• Love 3
(edited)

It beggars belief that Casey never, at any time, overheard a captain or owner bitching about the new pot rings as the deadline of this year occurred.  Somewhere, along the line, most of them would have invested labor to bring their gear up to snuff.   I was surprised that this is something Disco never showed us.  They love showing the animated captains when they gripe about some new thing which costs them time or money.  Lord knows the captains take every chance they get to groan about anything that gets in their way.

Jake is forgetting a core aphorism of recovery:  FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT!  Sometimes, you just have to pretend you are the person you want to be - that you can and will handle anything thrown your way.  Sig has been begging him to get this.  Luckily enough, his maiden crew was starving for a leader whom they knew would do anything it took to do things the right way.  

Disco promised a lot of innovative production values.  We've seen a very few new POVs, but I'll be dogged if I can remember more than 4 or 5.  Is this yet another OPUD (over promise, under deliver) Disco deal?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 3

The Josh and the Cornelia Marie are supposed to be the underdogs for whom we're all rooting.  In reality, they're the Keystone Kops of the Bering Sea.   Josh is a frickin idiot out for camera time.  Casey should have thought to check the set up of ten year old pots that have been sitting on the beach.   That's what a competent professional would have done.

• Love 5
I was soooo glad to see my favorite Jake A moment - the jacket! (and long hair! sigh!)  I've watched this for a long time, and I still remember that episode.

Years ago on youtube, some family member posted extended videos of a “welcome home” reception on the Northwestern. It included a tour of the NW, Sig (or Edgar) telling Jake’s father how well he had done, that he hadn’t fallen off the wagon, that they kept an eye on him, he worked hard, etc.  Jake sought his father’s approval so much – I haven’t gone back to watch those videos since his father died.  Because it was a wonderful capture of a moment of passage, and now there would just be all that baggage.  But at any rate, if they’re still up, they might be worth watching if you want to reminisce about Jake’s triumphant beginnings.

Jake is forgetting a core aphorism of recovery:  FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT!

You mean you don’t tell the guys whose lives are in your hands as you set forth into extremely dangerous situations that you hope you can pull away from the dock?  If I cringed any harder I would have slid off the sofa.

• Love 6

You mean you don’t tell the guys whose lives are in your hands as you set forth into extremely dangerous situations that you hope you can pull away from the dock?

You can say that; you just can't say it like you mean it.  I really wanted to give him a smack and tell him to man up--he wanted this job, stop whining!  I truly thought he was going to bail and go out with the Northwestern again.  I hope he doesn't crash and burn.

I also hope Amy (that's the name of the woman on the Wizard, right?) doesn't crash and burn either. 

• Love 4

You mean you don’t tell the guys whose lives are in your hands as you set forth into extremely dangerous situations that you hope you can pull away from the dock?  If I cringed any harder I would have slid off the sofa.

I think you talk about how this is the first time with this particular boat and you want to be careful until you learn how the boat handles and all.  Jake made it seem like he was concerned about pulling away from the dock in general.  

• Love 3

The only thing I didn't like were those pictures popping up. Annoying. They should just collect them and post them on the website. 

I would have never thought Danny sabotaged the pots...wouldn't that hamper his paycheque?  I wouldn't put it past him, though. He seemed like he would do anything. Scary crazy. 

If you can wait, and force your DVR to record the 1 am repeat, those fan pics and tweets magically disappear. :)

Regarding Danny - Ms. Bear and I wondered if they didn't air any footage with Jon/Andy conjecturing about Danny doing it because Disco didn't have any concrete footage of him doing it. I'm sure if they had, it'd be all over the episode. So instead, they let Andy harp on about Jon being lazy - and even then, we wondered if that was a put-on. My thinking is, if they'd aired them accusing Pscyho-cookie-monster of sabotaging the pots, the crazy boy would've filed a defamation lawsuit against Disco and the TB. (He's crazy enough to do it, methinks.) So they danced around it but made it as obvious as possible it was Danny's doing without actually saying it. (My nebulous proof? The specific re-airing of his threats to the ship, and Jon's repeated concerns of what Danny would've done if he'd fired him on the spot, away from the dock.)

Kind of shocking, too, to hear Wild Bill say he's had him on as crew before, and would've hired him for this season. I wonder if that was pre-camera times, when he was on the Kodiak? Danny must've really been a crazed camera whore (more than Josh!) and chose to go the 'kooky aggressor' route, but it went all kinds of wrong when Philip and Axel wouldn't take his shit.

• Love 3

he may have been wanting to get on a tv boat for years, and finally had his chance.

amusing that he went to sleep thinking he was the king of the deck.    when he wakes up,  the captain is standing there, telling him that he's off the boat / fired.     and those wonderful cameras are right there, too.

• Love 2