Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Secondo

According to Gillian Anderson, that's pretty much right - she is thrill-seeking. She gets off on the danger of being with Hannibal. But I don't think she believes she's his equal - I think she pretty much said that she knew she wasn't really in control of her own actions.

I thought she was stupid, too, especially when she's holding a gun on him and then decides to go along with his plan. But then I thought about the incredibly stupid things I've done out of curiosity. I don't think you can ever overestimate curiosity as a motivation. One time I actually chased a bear into the woods just to get a better look at it. Stupid, definitely. But I had to see. I think Bedelia just has to see what Hannibal will do.

• Love 5

I actually like that while Chiyo and Bedelia may try to explain away why Hannibal is who he is and does the things he does through what happened to Mischa, both Hannibal and Will go "nope, Mischa doesn't explain or excuse anything".. To me it is a further indication of how Will just knows and understands Hannibal at a level none other can...

The way I interpreted Hannibal in the books is that he was inevitably going to turn out to be some kind of monster, but the WAY in which Mischa died is what turned him into the specific kind of monster he became. Without that tragedy, he might have been, like, a mad scientist or an investment banker or something.

• Love 7

In the episode post mortem video Mads gives additional information on what happened to Mischa, don't know if that counts as a spoiler or not, as I am not sure if they will go further into it in following episodes. But the way he is talking about it, I am really convinced Hannibal is not the one who killed Mischa.

The way I interpreted Hannibal in the books is that he was inevitably going to turn out to be some kind of monster, but the WAY in which Mischa died is what turned him into the specific kind of monster he became. Without that tragedy, he might have been, like, a mad scientist or an investment banker or something.

I haven't read the books, but now you have me thinking of Patrick Bateman as a parallel world version of Hannibal, which leads me to imaginig our Hannibal doing Patrick's plastic suit dance of murder and that is.. just... disturbing..

tumblr_mg8lq3ThuA1r3z4kzo1_500.gif

• Love 5

I think Bedelia was just making a deduction about Hannibal eating Mischa based on the assumption that his cannibalism was related to his trauma over her death. In the book,

in the aftermath of WWII, scavengers capture Hannibal and Mischa as young children. They eat Mischa because they're starving and force Hannibal to eat some Mischa soup. I don't know how they would justify the starvation in the TV show, so maybe they'll have the bad guy/guys just be sadistic cannibals.

• Love 1

As grotesque as it sounds, I prefer to think Hannibal willingly killed and ate his sister, and that he's just evil nutso sociopath monster scary from the core. The whole "the Nazis made him do it" creates an "awwwww, poor Hanni" tear wiping situation and lessens just how crafty and vile he is. Vile is scarier than traumatized by some people who were known to be evil and sadistic/hero for avenging his baby sister's death.

(edited)

I think Hannibal is spiraling, they did zoom in to show him partaking in the Titanic Fancy Drink, after all. He knows his time is running out, and, in a way, Bedelia is his final project. He doesn't have time to carefully deconstruct her and put her back together again, he has to break and remold her, quickly quickly. He may decide he has no choice but to kill her, but I think he hates wasting Murder Protege potential. I mean, other than Will, how many of the people that Hannibal has "touched" would actually testify against him? Even the ones that hate him (Verger), wouldn't say a peep to prevent some interloper coming between them and their revenge. I think Bedelia's survival is directly proportional to her giving up control and becoming the monster he sees in her. 

The tub scene was Not the Sex to me. It was like taking care of a prized cow before slaughter. And Bedelia encourages it as a way to secede physical control in order to pick at his emotional scabs. I like seeing Hannibal act like a dork. No one can be uber dignified all the time. I can see him making stupid little puns to himself  and being sad there was no one around to appreciate them. Mads has dork eyes in every scene with Abel because Hannibal knows Abel gets it without actually having it spelled out. If you think of Hannibal as a premiere academic (denied an audience) instead of a deranged serial killer, I think his behavior is in character.  

I saw Will's newest fishing lure as a big ole "F you" to Hannibal. I came, I read your fairytale, I smelled the bullshit, and I threw that book straight into the fire. What now, Hannibal? Chiyo could have been lying about the entire thing, but if not, Will just ruined one of Hannibal's longest running art installations. That's got to burn, even if Will had to fight fire with fire. No way Will didn't know he would return and try to kill Chiyo. He just figured that a half starved nutcase wouldn't last 2s against her unless she wanted to die. She must have had at least a few slip-ups over the years, after all. And if she died, she wasn't made to the right stuff to earn Hannibal's true favor and therefore would be useless in helping Will track him. So so what if she dies? It's not like anyone comes out of interacting with Hannibal without at least a few dead bodies, so she's a criminal either way.

Edited by rozen
  • Love 6

I don't even know what Will's motives are right now. I'm not convinced Will knows what Will's motives are right now. In the book timeline, he was completely broken at this point. Last season I saw him turning into what Hannibal wanted as a way to trap Hannibal, but this season I'm not so sure about that.

I think what Hannibal has been saying is that it is not that he became a monster because of the trauma of what happened to Mischa when she was killed ("nothing happened to me"), it is just that with Mischa gone he was unleashed, the monster within that was being supressed was out ("I happened"). That is also what the betrayal is about. "Mischa didn't betray me. She influenced me to betray myself, but I forgave her that influence." What to me that means is Mischa, the good influence she had on him, the love he felt for her,  was making him act/be more "human"/normal than he really is, preventing him from meeting his true potential for evil, kind of stopping him from acting according to his true nature, as he does now... 

That's how I took it, too, and it ties in with Will and Hannibal's interaction in the stabby kitchen scene. "Did you think you could change me?" Hannibal asks. Will says he already has. Not that his feelings for Will made Hannibal want to be a better man or anything, but it's unsettling to him that he had feelings at all, I think. 

• Love 4

Well, nice to see some stuff actually happening. Finally, it seems like (most of) Hannibal's potential disciples have decided to turn on him (even if they aren't prepared to work with Chilton to do it). There's a limit to how far people (particularly those in law enforcement) are prepared to tolerate a guy who is killing and eating people, no matter how impeccable his manners or how artistically he serves the bodies.

Good to see Mason Verger again - always nice to know there is someone worse than Hannibal out there. And as in Hannibal (the film) I'm actually rooting for the cannibal, because at least he has some standards.

Chaos Theory For the people who don't like the third season, are you not liking it because it is too cerebral?

penelope79  I know this is not a show that goes for realism and concreteness, but a little bit wouldn't waste.

To respond to both of these, it's not that I need it to be Law & Order (for example), I just want the show to acknowledge that other police actually exist. I don't mind the "Tortured Genius battling the Psychopathic Genius" duel and even Will getting there first (he does in Red Dragon, after all, as does Clarice in Silence of the Lambs) but I'd like to see (or at least hear of) some humble patrolmen chasing up addresses and canvassing witnesses. There's a reason it happens IRL, after all!

MisterGlass I love the expression Bouquet of Revenge.

I can just see Interflora using it in their next advertising campaign - "Flowers for all occasions - Wedding corsages! Funeral Wreaths! Bouquets of Revenge!"