Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Stag Do

Episode synopsis: Finding themselves both single, Violet and Ash consider dating new people, Violet has already met someone on the internet, while Ash's ex, Chloe (Alexandra Roach), returns. Freddie, meanwhile, feels under pressure from Stuart to land a new acting role.

I thought it was Penelope who was going to be in bed with Ash.

I don't really like the show when Stuart and Freddie are both unmitigated assholes. They are usually at least a little bit decent to Ash, but this week I thought they were just horrible to everyone. I know half the show is a gag about how rude they are to each toher, but tis was taking it too far.

I thought it was Penelope who was going to be in bed with Ash.

I was dead certain it was going to be Violet, and it was, but it would have been better if it had been Penelope. I wouldn't have seen that coming a mile away.

A big problem with this show is that it treats absolutely unsurprising moments as if they were mind-blowing developments--aided and abetted by generously augmented "audience sounds" of screaming delight. I realize there's a live audience present, but if that sound we heard was the sound of an actual live audience being genuinely surprised, they must refuse admission to anyone with an IQ over 65.

Yeah the minute he woke up, you knew he was going to be in bed with Violet. 

So we finally got to see Ash's "flat." The problem is that it wasn't really as small as they were trying to convey by having everyone crammed together in a bunch.

Does everyone else's PBS station bleep out the swear words, or is it just mine?

• Love 1

I thought they wanted is to think it would be Violet, but that it was too obvious, hence my expectation of Penelope-- since I thought that would be a "gotcha."  I just don't think Violet harasses Ash is a funny gag, though, and they've been doing it episode after episode as though it were. So clearly my idea of funny is not in total alignment with the showrunners here.

I think I like the actors more than the writers of this show.

• Love 2

Absolutely.

The other inexcusable moments occurred in Ash's flat when everyone was supposed to be off mumbling in the background while two of the actors had their featured conversation over the punchbowl. I've seen better staging/blocking of "random party conversation" in high school plays.

Does everyone else's PBS station bleep out the swear words, or is it just mine?

Its all PBS stations.  Because I'm sure of all the youngsters watching the show.  Heh, maybe its not that impossible - kids would know Ian from  X Men and LOTR and Frances from Harry Potter.  But yeah, I kind of doubt that there is large amount of kids watching PBS 1030 on a Sunday night. To be fair, it might be a FCC rule.

The group of elderly men at the audition did make me laugh.

Edited by M. Darcy

Oh, me too. I love watching great actors, either in comedy or drama. The draw for me is McKellan. He's far and away the best thing about the show. I didn't even notice him being an asshole because his performance is outstanding.

Stuart, on the other hand, was just not funny. He was terrible to Chloe. He was so ridiculously demanding and had such unrealistic expectations for the wedding that I couldn't enjoy him at all. And frankly, I'm not really liking Jacobi's performance. 

I was dead certain it was going to be Violet, and it was, but it would have been better if it had been Penelope. I wouldn't have seen that coming a mile away.

All I knew was that it wouldn't be Chloe. I expected Violet but then thought the show might really surprise us with it being Penelope, but the show's not about surprise. However, I also think that Ash didn't really sleep with Violet. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful.

But back to McKellan. I loved when he was acting all affronted when Violet said she thought she saw them on the street. "To be accused of lying, and in our own home!" And then later to her, "I believe it's MATRON of honor, dear, or if there's anything older than matron, then it would be that." He's just superb. I also loved how he was taking his leave after the audition.

He's really the only reason I watch.

• Love 1