Type keyword(s) to search

Fix the Show

• Start Topic

Hire different experts. 

Make the screening process more extensive for both women and men.  Check their SM accounts if they have any, so you can find out what they posted weeks, months ago.  Ask them where they expect to be in five years career wise.  

The experts need TIME to observe these folks.  Anybody can give good face for a short period.

I know it's TV and they want people to be attractive but don't make looks the #1 priority.

Do a REAL background check, a Google Image search, but it has to be the same for the women and the men.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

I've seen all of these excellent suggestions floating around in other threads:

-The matchmaking stage should not be rushed. 6 months to a year seems like a good ballpark.

-Mandatory background checks and STD screens (and actually follow through with eliminating people from contention if problematic information surfaces).  Might be a good idea to review everyone's social media activity at this stage as well.

-Couples must live together during the entire experiment or face breach of contract

-Experts should be shown footage of the couples throughout the experiment to better assess progress.  No more of this "we didn't see any of this until it aired and are as shocked as you, the viewer" bullshit.

edit:  Haha neurochick, you and I posted at almost the exact same time, but we clearly agree on a lot :)

Edited by trashjunkie
  • Love 10

Somebody on another thread mentioned requiring the couples to live together the whole time, or be in breach of contract. Exceptions made if they want to just quit, but that's a different problem.

I'd be in favor of banning people with prior acting experience in TV or movies - especially if they've been on reality TV (and yes, I know about Jamie) - but if this is allowed, it should be fully disclosed right from the start.

Don't be afraid to use "real" people - those who are older, or who don't look like models. No matter how good they might look, poseurs and fakers don't work for a show like this. It's too easy for the audience to see through them, no matter what kind of editing is done. It sure didn't work for season two!

They're going to have to find some sincere men. Good luck with that. This is why they'll almost certainly have to go with "real people" to get enough men who really want to get married.

• Love 8

Oh, I thought of another important one:  don't pair people who live 2+ hours apart, especially if they are clear about not being willing/able to relocate!  No matter how compatible people might otherwise seem, that's a huge roadblock to overcome in the early phase of a relationship.

• Love 12

All fantastic suggestions above! Here's another one; if they decide to stay married, they must live together until The First 6 Months show.

Ryan D. immediately told Jessica he needed a break right after The Big Decision taping, and moved back into his own apartment.  He obviously agreed to stay married for show monetary reasons, not because he actually wanted to be married to Jessica.  Same with Ryan R.  He remained in the basement and didn't contact Jac for 4 months!

Also, any cheating during this process - breach of contract!

• Love 4

I don't see the need to fit a honeymoon, holidays, apartment shopping, etc. all into the 6 weeks.  Why not have the wedding, then move each couple into a furnished apartment (provided by the show) in an already agreed-upon location?  Have the couples spend more time together doing more typical couple things (grocery shopping, meals, church, going out, normal work routines, etc.) to see how well they incorporate into each other's lives.

I don't think there's any need for all the excess stress & manufactured drama when the situation is already over-the-top nuts. 

(This assumes that the experts have already done their job interviewing, researching, background checking & matching.  Yeah, I know... huge assumption!)

• Love 14

I don't see the need to fit a honeymoon, holidays, apartment shopping, etc. all into the 6 weeks.  Why not have the wedding, then move each couple into a furnished apartment (provided by the show) in an already agreed-upon location?  Have the couples spend more time together doing more typical couple things (grocery shopping, meals, church, going out, normal work routines, etc.) to see how well they incorporate into each other's lives.

I don't think there's any need for all the excess stress & manufactured drama when the situation is already over-the-top nuts. 

(This assumes that the experts have already done their job interviewing, researching, background checking & matching.  Yeah, I know... huge assumption!)

I like that idea. It was a whirlwind for this season's couples to get married and immediately have Christmas/New Years. They didn't know each other well enough to know what kind of gifts to buy. Yeah, leave the added drama out.

• Love 2

I don't care what they do. I'm not going to watch another one.

They could, however ramp it up on the sensibility meter and follow couples through the process of adopting a child. At the end of 6 months they could stage a big reveal as to whether they will keep the kid or not.

I'm just saying this for the benefit of people who are thinking "reality TV couldn't sink lower than MAFS," I just want you to realize "sure they can."

• Love 5

I agree except I say keep the honeymoon. It's good for the couples to have only each other to relate to for that time.

• Love 3

Oh! and I forgot this!   Cut down on the "experts" constantly voicing over every conversation and  narrating the course of events.. We get it. .

And, yes!  they should see all the footage as it comes in before editing and be more involved.  At least their commentary could relate more specifically to the events.

• Love 2

I'd like to see more input from family and friends as part of the evaluation process. Maybe even coworkers. They'll know if the applicants are sincere.

Also, no one is allowed to use the word "journey".

• Love 7

Lots of good ones here. They could replace at least three fourths of the experts, all of the producers and then have someone sit them down and explain what a red flag is.

• Love 2
(edited)

(1) Keep Pepper and rethink the other experts; (2) Make sure the participants are really ready and committed to the prospect of getting married; (3) No producer involvement with ridiculous scenes and challenges (forcing couples to find an apt together, etc) to entertain the audience and stir additional stress and drama; (4) A genuine effort to refrain from creating drama and a greater effort to find compatible couples; (5) More documentary style than reality show; (6) No choices based on factors like casting a male nurse or a man who takes care of his niece because of unfortunate events - instead choices based on compatibility.   (7) Counsel these people concerning manners/norms prior to getting them on the show (ie, don't sleep with eachother on the first night, don't bring up your Husband taking a $100 on national tv, don't expect him to read your mind and understand you on your honeymoon after you've only known him for 2 days, don't brag that you make so much more than your Husband on national tv; don't talk about your sex life in front of third parties; etc). (8) Prevent the experts from going on social media and keep the experts neutral.

What I took away from the show is that women need to be more of a challenge for men.  We had 3 beautiful women that were unappreciated and taken for granted. Part of the reason was that the women  immediately took on the roles of wives,  had unreasonable expectations as a result and didn't give the men enough of a challenge.  The setup works against them.

Edited by smiley221
  • Love 3

The experts should view every failed marriage as their own failure for the purpose of reviewing and improving their matching process.

.  Stop being defensive and blaming and LEARN.  

Do extensive exit interviews.  Better your process after each season.   ..    

• Love 5

1. Participants must be single for at least 6 months and living alone.

2. No arrests.

3. The marriage is for 3 months.

4. If the couple quits, they lose whatever compensation they were getting.

5. Each episode covers a 10 day period. Enough should happen that we don't need the constant recaps and filler.

6. No one over 28 years old. Not really sure if it's age-related but 3/4 of the show tends to be just talk over dinner rather than doing anything interesting.

7. No time-shifted editing.

8. Have the confessional shots be unedited and occur after the events of the show - don't interrupt the show for commentary.

9. No more bad ADRs!!!!! How can you take a show seriously when they had to do multiple takes of a supposedly spontaneous conversation.

10. The experts are publically humiliated for bad matches.

• Love 1

1) I've said all through this season that the individuals need to have counseling before, during and after the 6 weeks. If we take this show as a legitimate attempt to bring happiness and fulfillment into these people's lives through marriage then the participants need help. I think, ideally, who would apply for this show? Those who actually want marriage but are too shy, busy, frustrated or to date. Anyway, they clearly need help finding someone and they also need help to find themselves first. Counseling before, during and after filming.

2) I agree, the marriage we follow should be at least for three months. 6 weeks is way too short.

3) I'd love to see more interaction with parents and relatives. Those conversations and experiences with friends and family (minus the bowling scene this year) were my favorite because it felt much more real. And it would create a more realistic environment and a lasting bond for the couple, too. Someone might be looking for a leg up on fame and be scamming the show, but he/she has a real family and so does the spouse. And those real families have real expectations for their kids. A longer time period to follow the couples would allow more family interaction.

I mean this year Sean and Davina's families were so checked out that no wonder there was no pressure to try to make it work.

They could, however ramp it up on the sensibility meter and follow couples through the process of adopting a child. At the end of 6 months they could stage a big reveal as to whether they will keep the kid or not.

Let's make it an international adoption, just for good measure. lol

Also, no one is allowed to use the word "journey".

..."the experiment" or "the process."

Yes, please!  This would free up about 38 minutes per episode for silly things like therapy, conversation, etc.

• Love 1

1. Participants must be single for at least 6 months and living alone.

Definitely.

2. No arrests.

I'll drink to that!

3. The marriage is for 3 months.

On the fence about this one.

4. If the couple quits, they lose whatever compensation they were getting.

Yes, but with some way out if it's bad, as with RyanD and Jessica.

5. Each episode covers a 10 day period. Enough should happen that we don't need the constant recaps and filler.

YES, PLEASE

6. No one over 28 years old. Not really sure if it's age-related but 3/4 of the show tends to be just talk over dinner rather than doing anything interesting.

Are you kidding? I'd be glad to see folks of most any age as long as they *really serious about being married.

7. No time-shifted editing.

YES. Sick of that. Make it more of a documentary. That worked for Season One.

8. Have the confessional shots be unedited and occur after the events of the show - don't interrupt the show for commentary.

Mmm, either way is probably okay.

9. No more bad ADRs!!!!! How can you take a show seriously when they had to do multiple takes of a supposedly spontaneous conversation.

What's an ADR?

10. The experts are publically humiliated for bad matches.

Done!

(edited)

How about this:
The experts make the matches and introduce the couples.  No marriage right away.  They put up the couples in a two bedroom apartment (their choice if they want to sleep together) for a pre-determined about of time - a month, 6 weeks, whatever - they cannot sleep anywhere else unless it's part of a task/challenge/overnight date with each other. 

They cannot date anyone else during that time

During the course of the "experiment" they are presented with a set of tasks/challenges, i.e., prepare a menu, shopping list and shop for and prepare your own meals, including packing each other's work lunches.  Another task would be to plan an overnight/weekend trip together, decide where to go, what to do/see.  Another task might be to plan and host a family gathering so that their families could get to know one another.  Do the same with friends.  Create a budget listing who will contribute what amount to the monthly bills and also create a 5, 10, 20 year plan as well as a retirement strategy.  I thought of a couple more challenges:  They have to decide/agree on a pet who will live with them during this experiment, as well as perform a babysitting stint with two or more children under the age of two.

At the end of the "experiment", if they can still stand each other, they will take a compatibility test to see what they have learned about each other, about their past, their goals, their likes and dislikes.  Have the families and friends give feedback/ask questions of both of them.  Then, after all is reviewed by the "experts", they can choose whether to apply for a marriage license and the experts will approve or deny their application.  If approved, the couple must agree to marry within 48 hours.  If denied, they go their separate ways. 

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 7
(edited)

Match Logan with Sean.

HMMmmm,

You are onto something here.  Use only characters who each of the poseur experts think they could be involved with.

Would poseur Levkoff think for a moment 'Ryan D's temper really shows me what a 'catch' he would be for me, he's so passionate'.  How about poseur Schwartz thinking 'that creep Sean, with all the drinking and driving judgement, along with his interest in naming his children would complete me, he lives in the moment.'  Maybe one of the poseurs would think that creep Sean was a wonderful catch, but not poseur Schwartz .......

So the point you made was the judges do not see these people as legitimate spouse material for themselves, but they think they'd be great for someone else.

Edited by Liberty
(edited)

1) the producers should fire the editors then fire themselves and stop assuming we want to see conjured drama instead of truth and spontaneity

2) here's a REAL experiment for you - don't allow consummation during the entire honeymoon

If we have to hear "I trusted the experts" blah blah one more time... Come on people! These "experts" cannot actually find your Mr. or Mrs. Beautiful and Wonderful. Please do not sign up if you think they will find someone THAT wonderful who is willing to have it all filmed....sigh... It's a crap shoot! Would you rather "America" choose for you? We could possibly do a better job but it will likely not end well either...sigh...

Edited by Sunnyside
  • Love 1
(edited)

Get a bigger budget.

Supply well furnished apartments with high speed internet and TV.  Make the environment welcoming and comfortable so no one feels an immediate need to rush back home.  You want them to like it and want to be there.  Don't film them watching TV but allowing them to share a movie or show they both like creates a connecting point.  

Allow the couples to interact with the other couples.   Game night could be fun.  They can all relate to each other which could bring out some interesting conversation and bonding.  Maybe put them in the same apt complex.  

Their applications should not look like a dating site resume.  Ask them pointed questions about their life style.  None of this, I want someone kind and sincere.  pffffttt    Favorite foods, movies, TV shows and leisure activities say more about compatibility than childhood traumas.   

I would connect with someone who likes Monty Python and Eddie Izzard.  Look for that stuff.

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

What's an ADR?

Ever heard of a looping session? It's when actors re-record lines in a studio to replace the original dialog.

On the show you can see someone start a sentence, then the camera cuts to a behind shot so you can't see the lips moving (because they actually said something different than the dialog being played), then you hear the rest of the edited sentence. This might happen if someone mentions a person's name or address or phone number, etc. but in those cases the audio won't sound different than the rest of the scene. On the show, the sound is usually noticeably different indicating that the line was recorded later, then inserted into the scene and passed as spontaneous dialog.

If you've had experience in the industry, it really stands out.

Get a bigger budget.

Supply well furnished apartments with high speed internet and TV.  Make the environment welcoming and comfortable so no one feels an immediate need to rush back home.  You want them to like it and want to be there.  Don't film them watching TV but allowing them to share a movie or show they both like creates a connecting point.  

Allow the couples to interact with the other couples.   Game night could be fun.  They can all relate to each other which could bring out some interesting conversation and bonding.  Maybe put them in the same apt complex.  

Their applications should not look like a dating site resume.  Ask them pointed questions about their life style.  None of this, I want someone kind and sincere.  pffffttt    Favorite foods, movies, TV shows and leisure activities say more about compatibility than childhood traumas.   

I would connect with someone who likes Monty Python and Eddie Izzard.  Look for that stuff.

I like the idea of all the couples getting a chance to interact.  Also the production team furnishing apartments.  There's no point in doing a whole show on finding some place to live when (at least in NY) the couples were still keeping their individual places.  

• Love 1

Yeah, so "what is your decision, are you going to keep this child or send her back to (China, Ethiopia, whatever)?"

They could really get an emotional response from the audience by showing squalid conditions in refugee camps and orphanages.

Another possibility could involve shelter pets. After a couple of weeks, the couples could be asked "so are you going to keep the puppy or send him back to doggie death row?"

There are a lot of possibilities.

• Love 2
(edited)

Good suggestions, I agree with a lot of them.  I think the experts should be able to observe the candidates in their natural habitats when not trying to impress them.  It's easy for them to lie and misrepresent themselves if all the experts have to go on is their "self reporting".  I also think the experts should be able to confidentially interview friends and relatives of the candidate to find out any dirt they might want to share on them.  Suddenly after all the damage was done Doug and Jamie posted potentially damaging things about Sean that the experts may not have found out from him, or if he did kind-of share it, he put a sanitized spin on it.

I also agree with finding new experts except for Dr. Pepper.  Find more like her.  No media/fame whores, real professionals.  Lots of luck now finding them, though.  Any professional worth his or her salt would avoid this show like the plague after everything that happened this season.  In that case, if I were them, I would have an independent panel of experts observe/interview/provide therapy to the candidates to help weed out any really dysfunctional people who fall through the cracks.  This panel would not have to appear on the show so they wouldn't have to worry about negative publicity.

I think the experts need to find new ways of assessing the candidates' relationship/marriage readiness and emotional maturity.  They clearly failed at this this season, esp. with the men.  If that means finding experts with higher ethics than to give in to producer schedule changes, then that's what it means.

It seems like they've already done this, but relocate the show out of NYC.  I think NYC all by itself creates stresses on a couple that they would not have to deal with in other areas.  Everything is harder in NY, from the astronomical cost of living to the difficult travel logistics.  I am sure that the living arrangements for the season 3 couples will be a lot nicer plus they won't have as many of the added living/travel stresses as NYC puts upon people.  As a native, I know all about that and as someone who left NYC years ago I can see how their lives would have been a lot easier if they lived in the 'burbs.

OK, that's all I can think of for now.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

It seems like they've already done this, but relocate the show out of NYC.  I think NYC all by itself creates stresses on a couple that they would not have to deal with in other areas.

I think they wanted NY for the volume of candidates and the number of things to do. Unfortunately, no one did much of anything. Nothing fun for the audience anyway. In the first season at least Jason and Cortney had hobbies (He wrestled and she was a stripper I think).
  • Love 1

I think they wanted NY for the volume of candidates and the number of things to do. Unfortunately, no one did much of anything. Nothing fun for the audience anyway. In the first season at least Jason and Cortney had hobbies (He wrestled and she was a stripper I think).

Maybe replace Levkoff and Cilona with Monet and Davina. They would do a better jon

• Love 2

I think the experts all have their offices in NYC,  plus it's always a "trendy" place that will attract viewers.  For all the single people and all there is to do, I can't think of a worse place to be a single than NYC.  I was single in NY once so perhaps I'm biased!  I kind of sympathize for Davina because it's like water everywhere and not a drop to drink.  You think it should be easy but you can do everything possible and still come up either with duds or completely empty handed.  I have some hysterical memories of dating in NY.  If we had an OT thread I might recount some of them, they're truly classic (and horrific!).

• Love 1

I wonder if TPTB are taking audience into account. I suspect it is predominantly female. If so, they need to consider a cast with whom we will identify, and they need to make sure we don't hate their partners. That's been a massive failure both seasons IMO, especially Season 2.

• Love 2
(edited)

1. New "experts", except for Pepper. 2. The people cannot live more than hour away from each other. 3. Drop the appartment stuff. I do not believe for a second they really "shop" for a place. Just say they have, say, 3 places to pick from and let them decide from there. 4. Let the couples interact. 5. No previous TV experience.

The last and most important, actually do the matching research they claim to, STD, Background checks. If they decide to let someone on with say a DUI, then the spouce should be told ahead of time and given the chance to say No. But really they shouldn't even go that far to keep someone on.

Edited by Gigi43
  • Love 2

Simple: They need to copy the Australian format. 

I agree.  Moving into one of their established homes is better. 

Yes, and in the Australian version, the couples do not get married right away. that is just wrong.

Then it would be an entirely different show.   i am fine with them getting married in the first episode.  That is the fun part and also gives permission for sex if they choose it without the black cloud of sex outside of marriage descending upon them, and it would! 

• Love 3

Yes, and in the Australian version, the couples do not get married right away. that is just wrong.

Legally they can not be married in Australia, here we need to sign an Intention of Marriage 30 days before the ceremony together with supporting documents in front of the celebrant who will preform the ceremony. So there was no way that could be achieved here.

For me I actually liked that it was not a legal marriage, for me I liked that if they got paired with a angry douche like Ryan D that they could walk away without legal consequences.

• Love 4