Type keyword(s) to search

Tara And Adam's Rewatch: Broadway, Here We Come!

Broadway, Here I Come is when i realized that Jeremy Jordan is a freaking powerhouse oh my god. I also, think that this is an unpopular opinion, but I liked Jimmy and Karen together like a lot.

On the other hand, i HATE that JFK number, oh dear lord.

And Derek's whole plot just....sucked to be honest. Like I'm not saying it isn't plausible, but it just came out of nowhere, out of left field. Like why would Rebecca even say those things. Ugh.

On whole, I do like Hit List much better than Bombshell. also all the songs are super catchy and that is always a plus.

• Love 2

Isn't "Broadway Here I Come" about suicide in the actual Hit List plot? I guess I should be less lazy and Google it, but I have a vague memory of reading that in the Hit List summary and realizing that we had all misjudged Safran.

I am so impressed it took anyone until s2 to hate Karen. I didn't mind the sexual harassment lawsuit against Derek, but I did mind how the show handled it with trivializing it and then villainizing Daisy. I have such a hard time with Derek because Davenport makes him so charismatic and likable that I find myself buying into the Derek hype while he's onscreen. But when I'm not actively watching, I realize Derek's basically a sleazy hack who appears to have ridden his family connections to success.

I have the same problem with the Ivy/Derek relationship. When I watch scenes with them, they're magical and I'm a total fangirl shipper. But when I'm not watching it, I'm like this is a horrible toxic relationship and Derek is an absolute horror. Ivy deserves so much better.

• Love 4
(edited)

Isn't "Broadway Here I Come" about suicide in the actual Hit List plot? I guess I should be less lazy and Google it, but I have a vague memory of reading that in the Hit List summary and realizing that we had all misjudged Safran.

It is! In that Carrie Manolakos clip from the Hit List concert (she's playing Karen's part), Jimmy's character interrupts her before she jumps. That may have been a bit of a ret-con? But at this point in Smash we totally didn't know that, and the way it's cut it's all "Woo! Broadway! The place where shows happen and dreams are born!" As opposed to "Broadway! The literal street I am literally about to land on and die!" I mean, that joke double meaning is the whole point of the lyric, which is why I think it's so funny that the show took it out of context.

Here's that Bob Fosse clip:

There's relevant dialogue right after:

"Fuck him, he never casts me."

"Honey, I did fuck him and he still never casts me."

Derek Wills, I love you, but you're no Joe Gideon.

Edited by adam807
  • Love 2

I love Hit List, it's songs and Jimmy & Kyle in this season! Rewrite This Story and Reach For Me are regulars on my playlists. Season 2 however made me hate Julia so much; she is a terrible collaborator and incredibly high-maintenance and strident.

• Love 1

I was fortunate enough to see Jeremy Jordan in San Francisco last year and when he did 'Broadway Here I Come', it took everything in my power not to openly weep. What a tremendous song and tremendous talent! (I've been watching along with you; these recaps are everything.)

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh man- I thought we were going to get Ivy's amazing performance of "They Just Keep Moving the Line" after the Martindale pic. That was probably my favorite performance of hers (ok- they all are).

I started rewatching the show last night- and I think the moment I actually started to actively dislike Karen was Episode 4 when Bobby & the girls are trying to teach her about being in the ensemble and what her purpose there is.  In the beginning of the episode I was almost feeling sorry for her- but her outburst, and her "Rumor Has It" fantasy were the moments that cemented my dislike for her.  The fact that her voice was obviously auto-tuned in most (/all) of her non-Marilyn songs really bugged.  I know everyone's had some mechanical help- but it is so very obvious in her songs.  

Also, because it cannot be said enough.  I really hate Ellis and his stupid smug face.

Edited by gik910
  • Love 1

I feel compelled to likewise offer up Krysta Rodriguez' rendition of Broadway Here I Come:

though Jeremy Jordan slays the song and leaves it a wrung-out husk, lol, I sometimes wonder how much time he did and had to practice it over the hiatus between seasons to get it so note-perfect.

• Love 1