Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Donny Ketchum

On an Island of One: Unpopular Opinions of Survivor

On 1/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, simplyme said:

I like the new jury format. I hated having to sit through some of the dumb questions or comments from jurors, especially the whole "Pick a number between..." thing. Nine (or seven or whatever) people asking questions took a lot longer to show, too, than the current edited discussion.

I am not a fan of what I like to call the Zeke Jury format (I call it the Zeke format because he was the most dominate jury member during the first time it happened, he drove the conversation).  I like when a pissed off bitter jury member would go off (Sue), you do not really get that with the new format.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

It's not that I mind idols, I just think they take away the strategy part of the game. 

IMHO it depends upon, for lack of a better term, the degree of idolatry: 😉

• One idol in play at a time?  Definitely introduces a new strategic element, even if it’s only trying to figure out ways to flush it.
  • Two idols in play at the same time?  Strategies suddenly got several times more complex.
  • Three idols, two advantages, and a nullifier in a pear tree?  Overkill.  Cirie is going to run onto the set any moment now and stab you with a pointy stick.
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 6

Here's another one: winners should only be invited back one other time. Once they win, they get one return invite the show may or may not use, and then they disappear. They've won. There's no reason for the show to keep bringing them back, because the chances of them pulling a Sandra on returning player seasons are minuscule (Tony isn't in that boat, because it was all winners: someone was going to win again).

Ethan had a great season on Africa, then was voted out embarrassingly early in both All Stars and Winners at War. I get he had a good story this time, and was in a different phase of his life. But yet, the outcome remained the same: he was voted out embarrassingly early. Was that necessary to see twice?

I'm just not clamoring to see Adam try to play the pen/the tribal council set/Jeff himself as an idol because they thought he made "good TV." Or Sophie be another mid-game boot, because now everyone realizes what a threat she is. Or them to milk one last drop out of Ben's service to his country (and resulting post-traumatic stress).

I think the entire Winners at War cast should be retired, and that includes newer winners. They won, they got their shot to come back, now they're done. If they want to invite back Mike Holloway and Chris Underwood (why?), be my guest. They haven't had their second shot. The others: please, no.

• Like 5

On 5/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, Eolivet said:

Here's another one: winners should only be invited back one other time. Once they win, they get one return invite the show may or may not use, and then they disappear. They've won. There's no reason for the show to keep bringing them back, because the chances of them pulling a Sandra on returning player seasons are minuscule (Tony isn't in that boat, because it was all winners: someone was going to win again).

Ethan had a great season on Africa, then was voted out embarrassingly early in both All Stars and Winners at War. I get he had a good story this time, and was in a different phase of his life. But yet, the outcome remained the same: he was voted out embarrassingly early. Was that necessary to see twice?

I'm just not clamoring to see Adam try to play the pen/the tribal council set/Jeff himself as an idol because they thought he made "good TV." Or Sophie be another mid-game boot, because now everyone realizes what a threat she is. Or them to milk one last drop out of Ben's service to his country (and resulting post-traumatic stress).

I think the entire Winners at War cast should be retired, and that includes newer winners. They won, they got their shot to come back, now they're done. If they want to invite back Mike Holloway and Chris Underwood (why?), be my guest. They haven't had their second shot. The others: please, no.

Where Ethan's concerned, I'm wondering is that they both wanted an early winner (since Hatch and Tina were axed before filming), and as you said, he had a good story.  I do think Ethan, like most old schoolers, couldn't keep up with the pace and the now of the game.  It seemed he was more on relationships and alliances being solid than anything else.  Parvati said she only kept Adam because he and Ethan were friends, but that voting Natalie out probably hurt her game.  It likely hurt Ethan's. 

I don't know that I'd be opposed to some winners returning from this season, but Sandra, Parvati, Boston Rob, and Tony definitely don't need to return.  Tony got really lucky this season.  The fact that he was the 2nd boot during Game Changers shows what will happen if luck isn't on his side next time.  And I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Amber again, but she likely would have a rough go of it even without Rob around, just for being married to the guy.  I actually wouldn't mind seeing Nick, Sarah, or Adam again.  And I'd love to see Yul, although I don't think he'd do it again.  I don't know if there's anyone else, though.  I personally don't care to see Tyson, Jeremy, Kim, Denise, or Ben again.  I don't know about Natalie, my feelings for her changed a little based on some of the post-show stuff.      

• Like 2

I just don't care for Tony's gameplay.

He may be a GOAT or contender, he may be a hugely impressive winner, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy IRL from the brief snippets I've seen.

But I don't like the "always on, always hustle, no rest" style of play. And given production's preference for gamebots, I suspect we'll see a lot more of the psych ops tricks and devotion to never sleeping.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AncientNewbie said:

I just don't care for Tony's gameplay.

For me, I liked it better the second time than the first. I think it's because it seemed like Tony was genuinely part of everyone's alliance at around F8 a way that he wasn't in Cagayan. In both of his winning seasons, the post-merge storyline was all about him, which took a lot of my interest and suspense away. I think my problem is less with Tony and his wins, and more with the fact that the editors can't seem to resist showing everything about his game at the expense of everyone else and the games they're playing. I realize there are only so many minutes in an episode, but I wish we got to learn more about the strategies and gambits that fail.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Hera said:

For me, I liked it better the second time than the first. I think it's because it seemed like Tony was genuinely part of everyone's alliance at around F8 a way that he wasn't in Cagayan. In both of his winning seasons, the post-merge storyline was all about him, which took a lot of my interest and suspense away. I think my problem is less with Tony and his wins, and more with the fact that the editors can't seem to resist showing everything about his game at the expense of everyone else and the games they're playing. I realize there are only so many minutes in an episode, but I wish we got to learn more about the strategies and gambits that fail.

I get this and agree.

At the same time, I'm like the fan of old leather helmet American football complaining about the legalization of the forward pass. What Tony's doing is impressive, and subverting the rules of the game is part of the game, but over here on my island of one, I'm just more of a fan of what I'm used to and Tony turns the knob up to 15, past my comfort level. I can't quite put my finger on it but in a wholly subjective way it's not "my" Survivor.

• Like 3