Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Songs Of Experience

I like how Andrew blamed the girls for being kidnapped and him being arrested. Like they had anything to do with it..if it was up to them, they'd be searching for Jason's imaginary friend. :P 

HOW DARE these bitches interfere with Andrew's hero narrative! They are the worst...their pain and suffering is always getting in the way of men looking like heroes. 

God what the hell is wrong with the men on this show?? This season just HURTS. The poor girls have been so broken/violated and everyone is treating them like they are criminals and/or insane. 

• Love 9

Damn this show but they're actually making me feel really bad for Alison. The other girls have been through some horrific things but they've always have each other to lean on. Ali was on her own while she was on the run and even now that she's back she's still incredibly isolated and alone. She doesn't have the support system the others have. It kind of broke my heart when she said everyone would be better off without her because it's a totally understandable feeling for her to have and it feels like she's being punished for mistakes she made when she was a misguided 14/15 year old.

Almost everything Toby does pisses me off. Seeing him angrily glaring at Ali and Lorenzo through the window was ridiculous. I know he has reason to dislike Ali, but he had no right to tell Spencer to tell Ali to stay away from his precious partner. For one, it's none of his business.  And maybe he should talk to his partner about not dating high school girls. And let's be real, in Rosewood, some random creepy adult male is likely to be more dangerous than Ali ever was. I hate that Spencer is saddled with him. 

Liked seeing the girls all showing up to therapy at Hanna's behest. Hanna seemed to need to talk about it the most and even though the others may not have been as eager to discuss what happened, they all showed up for each other anyway. The electric shock game turning out to be like the Milgram experiment wasn't terribly surprising, I know a few people called it last episode, but I was actually surprised the show let the girls figure that out so quickly. 

Andrew's mad at the girls who got kidnapped and tortured for a month because the cops wrongly arrested him and he couldn't play hero and rescue them? Whatever dude. Sure Aria falsely identified him but the cops knew she was lying right away and didn't seem to take her ID seriously. Him getting arrested wasn't their fault at all... the cops started building a case on their own while the girls were locked in a goddamn dungeon. He was acting like they randomly pulled his name out of the air and framed him. 

Sara Harvey continues to creep me out. 

That was sweet of Ezra to use his creepy stalking skills for good instead of evil. Why couldn't Aria pretend to be the doctor herself though? Does Rosewood not have female doctors? Instead she had to play his secretary. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Sara may be creepy - hardly surprising considering what she appears to have gone through - but, in that last sequence, Emily was played as being sexually attracted to her.  Got a feeling she may be the latest love interest.  Now if the show could move on from Toby, Caleb, and especially Ezra!

Edited by dohe
(edited)

Hanna Marin will always be the first to sit in that chair.

She's the first one to get her hands dirty and I can't say how much the I love that the writers are keeping up with this.

Andrew was being sought by police as the kidnapper before the girls were even found. The girls had nothing to do with why the police were after him, they were looking for him when Ali made her statement to the press. The girls were told it was Andrew when they came out because of  his shadiness of running off for 3 weeks and not contacting anyone or telling anyone where he was, was why the police were after him.

Aria identified him at the station last week. His outburst was a little over the top. But I understand that he was creeped out. Until late season 5, Andrew was a straight As student. What he said tonight about wanting to help the girls means 3 things:
- He probably knew something was off after Aria and Emily asked him to follow Mike in his car, and then he had to save them from being run over or just glared at awkwardly to death by Cyrus Pitrelli going under the name Hank Mahoney.
- His weird comments on Mona when he was talking to Aria. He was competing with her to be the hero in a way. Maybe he knew about her plan to draw out A?
- It probably was him who put the anagrams in Mona's room.
I hope we get to see more of him. I don't want this to be the end of this story line because there's a lot more that has to be answered. 

If making random calls like that is how Ezra found out information for his book, then people in Rosewood are total idiots. I can't believe he actually asked for a social security number over the phone. Have any of these people ever heard of HIPPA? If he was actually getting information that way for his book, the hospitals around Rosewood could have a class-action lawsuit on their hands.

Why do they dumb him down?!
I swear when he told Aria that they could investigate the whole thing, I expected a cool montage sequence where he takes her to a secret room at the coffee shop and shows her a giant timeline/detective board with the screen watchtowers he had in season 4. I was hoping that after Mona's murder he knew something was off and decided to run his research again or something.
Instead they awkwardly call the doctor and ask for his security number over the phone? I'm not from the States and even I know that you can't do that.
I would have been ready to forgive the fake EzrA reveal, if they had him own up to it and just flat out use all his resources to help the girls instead of sweeping out under the rug and reverting him to sweet teacher Ezra.
We love Mona because she is Hanna's best friend AND her tormentor (for a while). We've seen her grow from loser Mona, to Queen of the Halls Mona, to Hyperadrenalized Reality State Mona, to Pills Hazy Crazy Mona, to 2 Harvey Dent Mona, to the unbreakable Mona we know today.
I know it's a stretch to ask for this kind of development for Fitz but just at least, if you're gonna have him help out, let him do it the way we all know he can.

I'm not sure about Sara Harvey so I'm not gonna say anything about her. She's still a very new character and I'd rather wait a few more episodes to see where they take her story line.

But I really think they're using her as Ali's mirror so far, that if she was a bully / manipulative bitch, it was because her mom was as terrible as Mrs. D. Which is also a mirror to Charles, whatever happened was decided by the parents and now the children are paying the price.

The question on this show used to be should bitches be buried? (Alison was shown to be a horrible person over and over and the show always questioned whether she deserved what she got)

But I feel that now they're asking a new question, after you've buried the bitch and she came back alive, does she deserve a second chance? which applies to both Sara and Ali at the moment.

Maybe they're also gonna do this with Charles somehow? There's a pattern being repeated since season 1, people being buried and dug up.

I'm starting to feel like The Night of Many Yellow Tops was a recreation of a past event somehow?

I loved all of Ali/Spencer/Jason scenes tonight.

The ones with Ali and Jason were pretty powerful. I hope we get more of these two together because they always had an intriguing relationship.

The one with Ali and Spencer talking about boys and starting over was beautiful. I loved that she went to Lorenzo and introduced herself as Ali's friend.

Lorenzo just might be a good guy. #Whodathunkit!

All in all, the show is proving to be much more interesting with this more down beat pace. We have time to process any information given to us, and all the girls are at interesting places right now. Even Aria!

A is proving to be a more interesting character every week. Maybe he didn't kidnap the girls to keep them there (the generator plot hole etc...), maybe he just wanted to keep the girls in there long enough to put the dollhouse IN them. All the emotional torture and the constant state of fear and terror... There was a darkness there he wanted them to see and touch, so when they get out and get back to the world, they will carry it with them. I wouldn't be surprised if after the time jump one of the girls goes dark herself (my bets are on Aria or Spencer).

That is some serious Nietzsche/Joss Whedon heaviness writers. 

Edited by raytch
  • Love 3

One more thing. That doll Aria kept zooming into and taking photos of in her room, was that the doll where she hid Ali's diary pages about Byron?

Or does it have some other meaning?

(edited)

My take away from seeing Andrew's list of accomplishments from the junior year yearbook page was huh, Rosewood has a varsity archery team? But I guess we are supposed to believe that it was some other Katniss loving A who was firing arrows at Ezra and Caleb, right? (For the record, the other things listed on Andrew's yearbook page: Captain Academic Decathlon, Debate Team, AP Chemistry, Varsity Baseball, Varsity Archery, AP Computer Science, Chess Club).

And is this a thing now? Schools list AP classes as an activity? And non-seniors get to list all of their activities? My high school was way too big for that. If we had included that info, our yearbooks would have been as thick as the yellow pages (yes, I just dated myself). And did the cover of the yearbook say 2011? I am still so confused about what year it is on this show. I guess if S1 was fall 2009 (sophomore year), S2 was spring 2010, S3 was fall 2010 (junior year), S4 was spring 2011, S5 was fall/spring 2011 (senior year), and S6 is spring 2012, then that works?

I don't understand why the girls were already questioning if Andrew was Charles/A just because he was in school with them. He could have left Sarah a powerbar for lunch or fed her after school. And even if he had an alibi for the day Mona was kidnapped and he was having his appendix removed the weekend that Sarah was kidnapped, that doesn't mean he isn't Charles/A. He could have had other minions doing his work.

Oh, Spence. Just because you don't totally hate Ali now doesn't mean you should tell her about the loose floorboard in your closet where you hide things. Then later Aria told them that she used to hide her candy money from Mike in her button jar. Stop talking about your secret hiding places, you guys!

Crap, Sarah with her new haircut reminds me so much of crazy Emily Valentine on 90210. What are the chances that she is going to go all SWF on Em?

When Dr. Sullivan was leaving her office and talking to Hanna on the phone, I was convinced that A was going to come out of the shadows and whack her in the head with something.

A standing outside the DiLaurentis window was a really strong argument for motion detector lights.

Ezra was unintentionally hilarious this week. Ditch school and organize my spice rack! Let's prank call the police and see if we can get confidential information!

You know what, I just realized what rubbed me wrong about his little rant -- that he said he wanted to be the hero that saved them. His whole outburst came off like a manchild throwing a tantrum that he didn't get the glory of saving the damsels in distress. It just seems so bizarrely tone deaf to complain about the self-inflicted problems that befell you when you went outside of the law to the very people you claimed you were trying to save. Before I was sure that Andrew was just a red herring but now I wouldn't be surprised if he was an A helper of sorts.

That totally annoyed me too. If I were one of the girls, I wouldn't have been able to resist saying, "Gee, sorry that we deprived you of your moment of glory since you didn't manage to rescue us. We were busy being tortured and rescuing our own asses."

Almost everything Toby does pisses me off. Seeing him angrily glaring at Ali and Lorenzo through the window was ridiculous. I know he has reason to dislike Ali, but he had no right to tell Spencer to tell Ali to stay away from his precious partner. For one, it's none of his business.  And maybe he should talk to his partner about not dating high school girls.

I KNOW. When the camera panned to him inside the window staring daggers at Ali, who had the AUDACITY to have a conversation with Lorenzo (who was the one who instigated it, for the record), I was just rolling my eyes. I totally get that he has his own reasons for hating Ali, but if he is that concerned with Ali somehow ensnaring Lorenzo in her evil web of lies and deceit then he can be an adult and tell his partner to stay away from her. Instead, he is acting like a 12 year old girl. "Spencer, can you tell Ali to stay away from my partner?" Yes, it's always much better to put the onus on the high school girl who is being pursued by an adult to say no to said adult because her friend's boyfriend doesn't think it's a good idea. You know, as opposed to telling the creepy creeper who is totally creeping on a high school student to stop being creepy.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

That's why I was happy Spencer went and introduced herself to Lorenzo. It was her way of telling Toby that "Yes, I trust Ali. Deal with it. Go F yourself. and shut the hell up because it obviously AIN'T ANDREW BABE"

• Love 4
(edited)

For the life of me, I can't explain Toby/Spencer as a pairing.

They have NOTHING, the show never gave them anything to have as a connection.

Also... "babe"??? Spencer doesn't look like someone who would like such a nickname nor as someone for whom it makes sense anyone using it. This is not that much about class but more about... intellectual level of the participants in the relationship. One of them is clearly a highschooler... the other a young woman who is stuck with "cause the writers said so" case of a boyfriend. Blergh.

P.S. The hell? Why do they feel bad for Andrew and why not being able to PERSONALLY do something means he can't have paid or come up with other options for it? Also, if he had his apendix removed... then he sure as hell wouldn't have been able to run and do some physical activities we have seen him done. It takes 3, 4 days post-operation and then a month or two to go back to normal.

Edited by Eneya
  • Love 1

My take away from seeing Andrew's list of accomplishments from the junior year yearbook page was huh, Rosewood has a varsity archery team? But I guess we are supposed to believe that it was some other Katniss loving A who was firing arrows at Ezra and Caleb, right? (For the record, the other things listed on Andrew's yearbook page: Captain Academic Decathlon, Debate Team, AP Chemistry, Varsity Baseball, Varsity Archery, AP Computer Science, Chess Club).

And is this a thing now? Schools list AP classes as an activity? And non-seniors get to list all of their activities? My high school was way too big for that. If we had included that info, our yearbooks would have been as thick as the yellow pages (yes, I just dated myself). And did the cover of the yearbook say 2011? I am still so confused about what year it is on this show. I guess if S1 was fall 2009 (sophomore year), S2 was spring 2010, S3 was fall 2010 (junior year), S4 was spring 2011, S5 was fall/spring 2011 (senior year), and S6 is spring 2012, then that works?

AP classes totally do not count as extracurriculars. I do not understand why those were listed under there. And someone as competitive about school would be in a helluva lot more than just 2 AP classes. Maybe those are just the only two he took junior year? 

Here's my take on the timeline of the show. S1 is fall 2010 (junior year). S2 is spring 2011. S3 is fall 2011 (senior year). S4 is fall 2011. S5 is fall 2011/spring 2012. S6 is spring 2012. 

P.S. The hell? Why do they feel bad for Andrew and why not being able to PERSONALLY do something means he can't have paid or come up with other options for it? Also, if he had his apendix removed... then he sure as hell wouldn't have been able to run and do some physical activities we have seen him done. It takes 3, 4 days post-operation and then a month or two to go back to normal.

I thought they said Andrew was having his appendix taken out when Mona got "murdered," so that was his alibi for not being able to kidnap her.

Here's why I'm giving Andrew a little bit of slack on his police station tirade. He had JUST gotten released. He was barely even off police station property when he ran into the girls. He hadn't had any time to put some distance between him and the arrest. Understandably, his temper was a little high at that particular moment. He definitely said a ton of douche-y stuff, but I can also give him a little pass in that particular moment.

• Love 3
(edited)

I didn't find Andrew's rant to be douchey at all! He'd just been thrown in prison for kidnapping/torture/hostage holding/stalking/A stuff, his anger might understandably hit every single person standing in the line of fire. He had plenty of time to assess why he was mad at each one and he probably thought about every interaction he ever had with them. Plus, he walks out of the station after who knows how long and that beaty eyed weasel that is Aria has the gall to approach him saying they need to talk after throwing him under the bus? How did she even think that was a good idea? I would have been back in jail for drop kicking her. I also cheered when he turned down Toby's offer to give him a ride home. "It's Andrew, babe." Get outta here, stoop kid.

I'm kind of disappointed that we saw A/Charles watching Jason. I was hoping that Charles was doubling as both after that elevator incident. I guess a minion could have been watching instead.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 6

I think Ali went missing on Labor Day 2009, so when the show started it was 2010. Season 3 picked up on the last weekend before the girls started senior year so that was 2011, and season 5 after Mona's murder around Christmas, so beginning of 2012, and then there was a few months jump to spring 2012.

I'm guessing since they're still seniors and school hasn't ended yet, the yearbook in question was the one from 2011.

I didn't find Andrew's rant to be douchey at all! He'd just been thrown in prison for kidnapping/torture/hostage holding/stalking/A stuff, his anger might understandably hit every single person standing in the line of fire. He had plenty of time to assess why he was mad at each one and he probably thought about every interaction he ever had with them. Plus, he walks out of the station after who knows how long and that beaty eyed weasel that is Aria has the gall to approach him saying they need to talk after throwing him under the bus? How did she even think that was a good idea? I would have been back in jail for drop kicking her. I also cheered when he turned down Toby's offer to give him a ride home. "It's Andrew, babe." Get outta here, stoop kid.

I'm kind of disappointed that we saw A/Charles watching Jason. I was hoping that Charles was doubling as both after that elevator incident. I guess a minion could have been watching instead.

I'm really happy it's not Jason or his twin. I don't think the actor can pull off a villain.

Jason never seemed to be that smart anyway... He's been shady and obviously he's someone who's had to struggle with himself a lot but even with all that, I think he always cared about Ali and Spencer. I kinda felt sorry for him every tie Spencer cornered him and accused him of shit and then he'd be like "Good God how can you think that?"

I guess he's Melissa's equivalent.

Do we know Wilden's exact age? I just cranked up the volume on the last scene and I think I heard "Charlie is your (brother?) he's .... older than Jason.

As I recall Wilden was older than Melissa / Ian and co. and Cece is their exact age? Was Melissa homecoming queen and Cece prom queen?

Why would any of them want to talk to Dr. Sullivan?  She's been compromised before when MonA was blackmailing her, she's alredy been shown to be quite incompetent with her hyper-adrenalized reality BS diagnosis.  Hanna should have screamed, thrown her coffee at her and run for the hills.  They should have brought back the hot school counselor.

If they only have 3 weeks until graduation, does that mean the show is going to resolve who is Current-A (a.k.a. ChArles) before doing a time-jump?

• Love 4

If they only have 3 weeks until graduation, does that mean the show is going to resolve who is Current-A (a.k.a. ChArles) before doing a time-jump?

Yeah that's the plan. The writers keep saying that 6A happens in a very condensed time frame, but technically 3 weeks in 9 episodes (since the premiere already covered a month or so) is a whole lot faster than the time frame of season 3 to 5!

• Love 1
(edited)

That's why I was happy Spencer went and introduced herself to Lorenzo. It was her way of telling Toby that "Yes, I trust Ali. Deal with it. Go F yourself. and shut the hell up because it obviously AIN'T ANDREW BABE"

I'm not completely convinced Ali is supposed to be a "good" character, yet. This show flip flops so much with her and Mona.

We don't really even know much about what really happened to her while she disappeared; but, I guess the show gets to forget about all the plot holes because now Ali is alive and back at home and the audience has a short term memory. 

Edited by resonance
  • Love 3

I didn't find Andrew's rant to be douchey at all! He'd just been thrown in prison for kidnapping/torture/hostage holding/stalking/A stuff, his anger might understandably hit every single person standing in the line of fire. He had plenty of time to assess why he was mad at each one and he probably thought about every interaction he ever had with them.

He was thrown in jail, he wasn't stalked/tortured/kidnapped like the girls were. Who were also thrown in jail for things they didn't do, Allison was in jail for much much longer than Andrew for things she didn't do. It doesn't give him the right to attack the victims and act like what happened to him is the worst thing in the world to the people who locked underground and are all suffering from PTSD. 

Boohoo Andrew was in jail for something he didn't do for a few days, because he disappeared for 3 weeks without telling anyone or contacting anyone. He didn't get to play hero (while Ezra & Caleb did) seemed to be what was most angry about. 

• Love 3

Andrew's reaction didn't seem unreasonable to me, given that (assuming his innocence) he has no idea what they went through - he only knew they had pointed to him as their assailant. And why would he assume they were traumatized? The girls are hanging out, running over to talk to him and headed back to school like they were involved in a minor car accident, not like they had been tortured for the past month. I can't begin to imagine why the show would even go there with that storyline if the aftereffects are supposed to be so minimal.

To me, the more interesting part of that confrontation was that he really drove home the idea that the girls are pariahs in their hometown. I knew that people were suspicious of them, and especialy of Ali, but I hadn't really thought that people may be assuming the entire thing was made up. If that's what he thinks, he's justifiably angry.

• Love 5

But Aria justifiably id'd him. What she did was stupid, but she was terrified of going back there and was told it was definitely Andrew and that in order to lock him away, someone needed to see him. It's stupid to be mad at her for that. The cops knew she was lying too, so she didn't do any harm. 

He was the idiot who ran away for three weeks. He knew he was set up, and he knew the girls were kidnapped..how he could blame them for thinking that he did it. This is a classic blaming the victims outburst, actually pretty similar to cousin nate's. 

Now, Andrew being mad at Toby. That's fair. The cops deserve plenty of blame. 

• Love 2

I feel a lot of his vexation should have been aimed at the police. They put his name on blast in the national/local news without any evidence. I have a few questions:

1. Would the popo point out to the suspected perp which of the girls id'd them?

2. Would andrew's name be in the press like that? I know he's probably 18, but in a recent RL sit an 18 yr old is suspected of stabbing to death a minor and they aren't being named, so would that be a reason?

I'd be more suspicious if andrew had not gone ham on the girls tho.

3. Wouldn't the girls (+ maybe andy)be entitled to a hefty payout for false imprisonment?

I actually think andrew can be ruled out. A in this show is a functioning psychopath, s/he would not stop in the street to tell the girls off, they'd get even with more psycho torture and place the girls in life threatening situations.

2. As incompetent as the rosewood 5.o are, I'd like to think they do stringent checks before releasing a suspect. Lol.

Finally, I straight up don't trust Ezra. He seems a little too pleased for my liking for lack of better phrase. Lol! There was just something about him.

• Love 1
(edited)

And how on earth are these girls about to graduate in 3 weeks? They've barely been at school this entire year. I know Andrew said they would probably just pass them all to get them out of the school, but come on.

I mean, this is a school that re-hired Ezra while his extra-curriculars were an open secret. They don't much seem to care what happens!

I laughed out loud when Ezra was like, "you can stay here for the day, sit in the back, read, WRITE!" and Aria shut that down. Seriously, Ezra is an idiot. Or he really wants Aria to start journaling her feelings again for some reason. Wonder what the reason could be. Maybe he wants another book out of her. Hey remember when he was writing a book and stalking Aria which is the only reason they got together in the first place? Yeah, the show keeps trying to make us forget that part.

But he is the stalker/statutory rapist with a HEART OF GOLD, don't you know??

So now everyone knows that A is still on the loose and could literally be anyone, and yet the girls are still just walking around at night? Wouldn't there be some sort of security? At least send out a patrol car or two to check on their homes? And yet the adults are all just "Oh be careful!"

Edited by gesundheit

I mean, this is a school that re-hired Ezra while his extra-curriculars were an open secret. They don't much seem to care what happens!

But he is the stalker/statutory rapist with a HEART OF GOLD, don't you know??

So now everyone knows that A is still on the loose and could literally be anyone, and yet the girls are still just walking around at night? Wouldn't there be some sort f security? At least send out a patrol car or two to check on their homes? And yet the adults are all just "Oh be careful!"

These are the same parents that haven't long past packed up and moved their families out of this cursed town?

• Love 1

I can understand why aria wanted to iD him, I figure she just wanted it to be him so "a" can be caught and for it to be over, but I don't think she was justified in lying.

At the end of the day, like the girls, he has been a victim of incompetent policing. I'll imagine being arrested with the prospect of being jailed whilt being innocent (assuming) can be emotionally exhausting and scary. The very first person he sees after he steps out of the station is Aria et al, 4 fellow hschoolers who saw as lying on him. No one in that position are going to be all smiles.

Now that 5.0 know about A and they've ruled

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't understand how/why Andrew thinks he girls are making everything up?  Why the town would think they are making everything up?  Why are people suspicious of them?

I think it calls back to the 1st season where they called the police about Ian's body in the belltower which then disappeared when the police went to look. there were murmurs from the crowd about the girls being liars. Then there was Ali's faked death (I think it was implied that that Police and others believed they knew all along) and Ali's kidnap story...From the Town's perspective the girls are always involved in lies. This is another story to them.

Edited by chelsie
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's the problem. HE WASN'T pointed by the girls. They never even thought about Andrew being repsonsible for anything or being "A", that happened COMPLETELY unrelated. The idea that he was put in jail had NOTHING to do with the girls affecting him. He tried to help Aria, when she asked him to... which has nothing to do with him disappearing for 3 weeks and the supposed mannifesto and his supposed need to save them. Why he thought he can... it is anyone's guess. He chose to help them (supposedly), so he could be a hero... if he wrote the manifesto, then... he has bigger issues and actually DIDN'T want to help them, not really. If he didn't, it is clear that he was framed by the same person who kidnapped them and he should have had sympathy for them by the reach of the person tormenting them, not turning on them since they were held hostages for 3 weeks.

He should NEVER know Aria supposedly ID'd him, because he wouldn't have been told that piece of information and it is obvious the police didn't buy Aria's words.

Also... I am highly sceptical that many people who have had that much abuse heaped over them for YEARS wouldn't lie in the situation in which they are told "yeah, the person who tormented you would go to prison and away from you only if someone proves it was him by ID'ing the person we claim we caught as fully repsonsible". Aria should have known better how incompetent the police is... but her reaction was completely understandable in their context.

Andrew as reactions simply doesn't make sense so far.

Edited by Eneya
  • Love 2

I miss Mona, I hope her trip to Saratoga is short.  Maybe she went horseback riding?  Would prefer her screentime to Sara.  Can't tell if Sara's short hairstyle is another wig, but she's just creepy.  She looks like the girl on I-Zombie.  Emily should stop saving lost puppies (whoever said she has a weakness for them last week was spot on).

I liked that Jason and Ali confronted their dad together, although in typical PLL fashion we won't learn the exact contents of the conversation until next week.

Was surprised to see Dr. Sullivan back, it's been ages since we last saw her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Andrew as reactions simply doesn't make sense so far.

I think we're all making a bigger deal out of Andrew's lash out really is. Compare it to MonA's attempted murder of a liar or EzrA's stalking or Ali blinding Jenna or Ali extorting Bryon. This is all seriously illegal stuff which the liars and a large portion of the audience handily forgave. Compare it even to Aria falsely identifying a person that could lead to life imprisonment or Ali bullying half the kids (Lucas, Mona, etc.) at school or Paige physically abusing Emily in the pool.

Telling someone off is such small potatoes compared to anything that happens on the show, especially when Andrew has an understandable reason to be upset with Aria. Even if you consider Andrew's lash out to be completely unjustified, he'd still objectively be a much better person than Aria, Mona, Ezra, Ali, etc. from what we know of him if this were IRL.

Edited by resonance
  • Love 1

I thought they said Andrew was having his appendix taken out when Mona got "murdered," so that was his alibi for not being able to kidnap her.

Tiny correction: Emily's mom said Andrew had an alibi for the weekend that Mona was kidnapped (but she didn't say what it was) and he had his appendix removed the weekend that Sarah was kidnapped. I don't know if the distinctions between the two will make a difference in the story later but I thought I would clarify just in case it ends up being the detail that cracks everything wide open ten episodes from now.

3. Wouldn't the girls (+ maybe andy)be entitled to a hefty payout for false imprisonment?

Andrew definitely would not. I think he was arrested and brought in for questioning (or possibly brought in for questioning without being arrested) and then released when the police decided they didn't have enough evidence for a case against him. What happened to him sucked but it wasn't illegal.

Ali was convicted of murder and the girls were arrested as accessories to Mona's murder. The four girls were being transported to jail when they were kidnapped by A, so the only false imprisonment they suffered was from A, not Rosewood PD. Ali was released right after the girls were kidnapped so she didn't serve any time for her murder conviction. She was in jail after she was arrested and waiting trial, which again sucks but is still perfectly legal.

• Love 1

I can understand why aria wanted to iD him, I figure she just wanted it to be him so "a" can be caught and for it to be over, but I don't think she was justified in lying.

At the end of the day, like the girls, he has been a victim of incompetent policing. I'll imagine being arrested with the prospect of being jailed whilt being innocent (assuming) can be emotionally exhausting and scary. The very first person he sees after he steps out of the station is Aria et al, 4 fellow hschoolers who saw as lying on him. No one in that position are going to be all smiles.

Now that 5.0 know about A and they've ruled

Hey wouldn't be hilarious if Wilden or Garrett or some other dead cop is A And his whole deal is to point out the holes in the RPD and the incompetence of its officers? Like The Life of David Gale?

• Love 1
(edited)

First half of the episode was pretty good (well by season 4-6 standards, at least), second was not too terrible but still had some really cringe-worthy stuff. Mostly Andrew's hilarious outburst and hilariously bad acting. And Sara Harvey being total surplus to requirements.

I like Toby being hostile to Alison, someone needs to remember how terrible she was (is?) from time to time. The way he expressed his hostility was seven kinds of ridiculous, of course (did he read the script for next week or he just assumes that every time his partner talks to a woman he intends to date her?) but I appreciate the sentiment.

Clearly the implication of Andrew's rant and the Liars' reactions was that people in Rosewood by and large didn't like them but I don't see why that would the case at this juncture. I don't even see why Rosewood's mothers wouldn't allow their daughters to be supervised by Alison - she has like a ton of martyr credit, and the average parent knows almost nothing about the shady stuff she has pulled over the years.  Hell, Ashley, one of the few good parents in Rosewood, practically tried to adopt Alison last season - and that was before Alison got a ton of new martyr points for being framed, going to jail, etc.

I loved Hanna being proactive, liked Alison finally gaining some humility.

Why would any of them want to talk to Dr. Sullivan?  She's been compromised before when MonA was blackmailing her, she's alredy been shown to be quite incompetent with her hyper-adrenalized reality BS diagnosis.

Yes, that was really contrived. No way the girls would trust Therapy Anne again.

Just how many times are they going to search the Di Laurentis house for clues? Amazingly, they keep finding new ones season after season.

Also... I am highly sceptical that many people who have had that much abuse heaped over them for YEARS wouldn't lie in the situation in which they are told "yeah, the person who tormented you would go to prison and away from you only if someone proves it was him by ID'ing the person we claim we caught as fully repsonsible". Aria should have known better how incompetent the police is... but her reaction was completely understandable in their context.

If only Aria and her friends had been framed many times before or had been wrong about who the evil mastermind was, so that Aria could learn from her mistakes and not jump to conclusions. Oh, wait...

Also, Alison's father is apparently suing everybody but we hear nothing about Spencer's parents suing the Rosewood authorities for that utter joke of a trial that ended up with her daughter being sent to jail? That's even more implausible than half of A's exploits.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1

I still don't get all this Andrew hate. Nobody knows what happened in that bunker except for the PD, the girls, Charles, and maybe their parents and boyfriends were told small pieces. The viewers don't even know everything. For all we know, the citizens of Rosewood don't even know that they were trapped or harassed for all these years. The fine folks at Rosewood PD only found out about A like 3 weeks ago because the girls refused to tell anyone and when they did, Tanner sucked.

How are the people in Rosewood supposed to see them as these poor terrorized victims if the girls are the only ones who know about A? They're just the girls who were Ali's +4, lied about a body in the bell tower, have been jailed multiple times, lied about their friend's kidnapping and death, and blinded Jenna Marshall (although idk if that's known). From the outside looking in, these girls are trouble and bring the dramatics. The people in town don't see what the viewers see. They don't see the fortune cookies, the text messages, or the bodies piling up. They just see the girls looking around ominously and sleuthing around town. They're just...liars who drag other people down. That was probably the source of Andrew's rant and how the people outside of their core group feel.

• Love 2
(edited)

How are the people in Rosewood supposed to see them as these poor terrorized victims if the girls are the only ones who know about A?

The girls are the only ones who know all  that A has done to them but a certain portion of MonA's bullying was made public knowledge after the season two finale (unfortunately we never learned how much exactly was that but it was enough to send Mona in Radley) and then the Liars were clearly framed for Mona's murder, and kidnapped to boot. I really doubt the general public is going to find it so easy to consider them to be all that horrible. What's more, we are sometimes told that this is the case but we never really see it (most of the Rosewood population acts like they don't know who the girls are or shows no signs of disliking them), so it comes off as a bad case of telling instead of showing.

Also, somebody went to the trouble of kidnapping them from a freaking prison transport van and there are all those unsolved murders. We aren't talking about some high school shenanigans, it's about a freaking serial killer who is at large and is basically toying with the police. The moral character of his or her victims wouldn't really be in the focus of people's attention, IMO. Especially considering how the killer's latest exploits proved how easily he or she could frame people, so when Joe Average reads something bad about the Liars, there is a distinct possibility of him thinking "Those poor pretty girls! Framed again!" instead of "Those bitches are back to their old tricks again, I see. When I was young, kids never went on murder sprees. Nobody bullied people on twitter either. The world is going to hell."

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 2
(edited)

^^I could be wrong but I think Noel Kahn pretty much said to someone (I forget who) everyone thinks the liars are shady. The Liars don't need to sweat it tho, graduation is around the corner and they'll be out of that town.

I'd be impressed if A was Andrew as that would mean that the writers are letting something stick and not backtracking but I'm looking at Ezra. Ezra is always there to help when thing go wrong and how convenient that Aria's schoolage boyf has a stack of circumstantual (sp?) evidence against him. Ezra also very rich and has been shown capable and has the equipment for spying. Alas, because I think it, it probably isn't him. lol.

On another note, Sara is another skeevy character. I swear, Rosewood is like a flame to these characters. Why did she put the pillow under the covers like she was under it? And, what in the world was she doing sitting silently in the dark?lol.

The only parents who appear to have reacted to the shenanigans in Rosewood are Paige's parents...

Why did Jason identify Charles in a vid and then come to the conclusion CD was an imaginary friend?

Edited by chelsie
  • Love 1
(edited)

He didn't identify him in a video. Until the last scene with Ali he was only going with his memory. I think Spencer told him about the video but he didn't see it.

Spencer told him there was a video of him and another boy and Ali as a baby and that they have the name Charles Dilaurentis.

Or am I remembering wrong?

Edited by raytch
(edited)

Ezra seemed a little eager to share that Andrew was adopted. Would Ezra be told that sort of information over the phone? I'm pretty sure there are stringent checks on who is asking for this information for data protection. I work admin in a hospital, and when I've had to call up other health establishments to find a contact number for a paient Ive been told to send through a written request with/on a letterhead coversheet then they call back with the information. And when I volunteered at a helpline we were encouraged to take down the person who's enquiring about a service user contact information so they could recieve a call checking them out. SMH

Edited by chelsie

I can see the people of Rosewood being suspicious of the girls' but to call them toxic?  I could see calling Ali that because in the past she was quite destructive but the other girls really weren't.

I did like seeing the girls talking and relying on each other because the girls’ friendship is the best part of this show.  And of the four of them, Hanna seems to have the highest emotional intelligence and she’s the most very self-aware in realizing that they needed to talk about their time in the doll house.  Am I the only one who wants to know more about Mr. Biscuit?

• Love 5

When it comes to the legal stuff on this show I shrug it away. Ezra calling to get personal info and pretending to be a doctor, the cops (maybe) telling andrew who identified him, etc etc. It's a tv show they can have purple flying pigs and it wouldn't faze me. It's not based on reality it's a entertainment thing. So yeah there will be a lot of "that wouldn't happen in the real world" but I have to remind myself this isn't the real world get over the small things and enjoy the show.

• Love 3

Not only do they dress her like she's 40, they've given her mom hair. All the other girls have hair that moves, & Ali's hair looks like it's perma styled on her head.

"What happens if i toooouch it...?"

• Love 3

I think Ali went missing on Labor Day 2009, so when the show started it was 2010. Season 3 picked up on the last weekend before the girls started senior year so that was 2011, and season 5 after Mona's murder around Christmas, so beginning of 2012, and then there was a few months jump to spring 2012.

I'm guessing since they're still seniors and school hasn't ended yet, the yearbook in question was the one from 2011.

It could also be their new senior year yearbook - if they're only a few weeks away from graduation, it should be around the time they get receive their last yearbook.  At least that was my experience in school - that they were ready and passed out around the final month.

It could also be their new senior year yearbook - if they're only a few weeks away from graduation, it should be around the time they get receive their last yearbook.  At least that was my experience in school - that they were ready and passed out around the final month.

It was definitely their junior yearbook. If you look at the top of the page when Hanna is looking at Andrew's picture, it says, "juniors," so it's from last year.

• Love 2
(edited)

After six years, there are so many subplots and dropped threads that i really want the show to return to especially since this is Answer Crunch Time - and whether the show does actually remember and get around to them (and best of all tie them into the other major answers), i'm tending to view a lot of the show and character motivations though the lens of those hanging threads i'm myself interested in.

For example - Jason and The NAT Club.  I had always hoped the genesis of the NAT Club would be a huge part of the answers of how A started.  I want this returned to so badly...but the one good thing about this episode is that we got such a good look at something significant from Jason's upbringing that explains so much about his general character - having a close childhood friend that one day disappeared and you were told that they never really existed and was only just an imaginary friend...that says a lot right there why he may have turned to (and got addicted to drugs) and i can see where that could also be a factor in motivating him to create the NAT Club - wanting to document things (people's secrets) on video so there's some kind of concrete record that various things happened if they later try to deny them.

It also affects how i view the Toby storyline.  THIS ACTUALLY HAS THE POTENTIAL/BUILDING BLOCKS TO BE SO STRONG - but it just is coming across as "Toby's a douche".  Toby joined the police force to protect Spencer/get answers (an action that parallels his joining the A Team undercover).  I would think part of the answers he'd be seeking is why the Rosewood PD seems to be a central point of A/NAT Club connections - Wilden was involved, Garrett was involved, Holbrook ended up just as shady.  If the show focused more on him wanting to find out how/why all these people are ending up employed by Rosewood PD and why they largely seem to have connections with The A Game and/or NAT, then that would make his story seem so much more meaningful and central to the show.  I fully understand why Toby views Ali getting involved with Lorenzo as very bad - because all the other crooked cops were also so closely tied to not only A/NAT but also Ali - Wilden may have impregnated her; Garrett was part of NAT, supposedly knew who dug up "her" corpse, and fooled Jenna into thinking he killed her; Holbrook was getting involved with her.  Toby seeing this same pattern starting to manifest yet again...Ali getting her claws into another male RPD officer would have all kinds of alarm bells going off in his head.  But it's only because i already see those threads personally fascinating is why i get where he's coming from - most other viewers are seeing it as Toby being a major a-hole and a filler story.  This whole story could be so much better if they approached it right.

Edited by dwmckim
  • Love 4
Not only do they dress her like she's 40, they've given her mom hair. All the other girls have hair that moves, & Ali's hair looks like it's perma styled on her head.

I don't know women's fashion so I don't know the correct term for the purse they make her carry, but it's so big you could put a frozen turkey in it.  And the way she carries it on her forearm looks matronly.  Put her in jeans and a normal blouse, and give her a backpack; you know, like normal teens.

Alternatively, if she is dressing from Jessica's closet to honor her dead mother, tell us that.

• Love 1

I think I want to see a face off between Charlie, and Mr. Biscuit now.

No one talks crap about Mr. Biscuit! I love you, Hannah.

Going to a therapist is such a good idea. These poor girls needed therapy even before the whole Dollhouse thing. Hope it ends up working out better next time. Screw you Charlie. 

And screw you Andrew. I get why the town would be a little tired of the girls. They don't know the whole story, and it just seems like all this crap is surrounding these 4 teenagers and their drama. Its unfair, but I can see it. People want someone to blame for their town being crazy, and they don't have an A to blame, so here are the girls. Andrew is just being ridiculous. He, and the town at large, need to be pissed off at their crappy police force, not the terrorized teenagers. 

• Love 1

I feel like I need to stand up for the 40 year olds. I'm 39.  My friends and I dress better than Ali.  And our hair isn't frozen in place.  They are making her a 40 year old from 1986.  

• Love 6