Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, RoyRogersMcFreely said:

Ausiello posted an article about this subject. Do you want to know or do you want to just go in with a blank slate. If you want to know I can post it in the spoiler thread.

Thanks for checking, but I'm a Spree, always and forever ;) 

Still post it to the spoiler thread, though, for others to enjoy.

6 hours ago, RoyRogersMcFreely said:

Ausiello posted an article about this subject. Do you want to know or do you want to just go in with a blank slate. If you want to know I can post it in the spoiler thread.

Please post in spoiler thread.  I know I'd love to know.  Or please just pm me if no one else does :)

I'm so happy there's a thread dedicated to Marty. He was my favorite of Rory's love interests despite not technically being a love interest at all. 

I just finished watching the series for the second time and was aghast by what they did to Marty in the last season, so I've just decided to pretend those scenes didn't even happen. Before that, I agree with the people who said he seemed like a combination of the best traits of Rory's other boyfriends, though he certainly wasn't perfect. I love that he was neurotic; it made him funnier, more interesting and made me think he would fit very well on this particular show. The hints about his family life made me think there could be very funny and sad stories to be found there.

I asked this in the fanfiction thread, but I would love to read Marty/Rory fanfic if anyone knows of any floating around out there. I'd rather not read anything too sexually explicit, but I will definitely read and review anything else. I'd love to write some too, but I don't think I have it in me!  

• Love 1

Blandings, for sure check out "Everything Old is New Again" by Lula Bo. It's on fanfiction.net, it's over 10 years old but it has by far the best Marty/Rory relationship - it's about all 3 Gilmore women but each has their own chapters so you can kind of skip to the Rory parts if you want. It's SO GOOD. I still read it every once in a while! It's what I wish happened instead of the weird turn they took with Marty's character.

ASF, I wish I could like your post a thousand times! Here's why...

AYitL ends.

Mr. Taks: So Logan's the father.

Me: I guess... ?OR IT'S THE WOOKIE WHO'S ACTUALLY MARTY!!!

Mr. Taks: ???

Me (raising fists in air): NEVER SAY DIE!!!

But then we did the math, because that happened in Spring right? So once again, womp womp.

By the way, these two last posts seriously messed with my head. I was halfway through Spring when they popped up but I couldn't read them since I didn't finish yet so I was like "Ahh! Activity in the Marty thread! DOES THIS MEAN HE REALLY IS IN IT???" So sorry if I just turned around and did the same to any other Marty fans.

But seriously, WHAT was with Marty being in so much of those 1 minute recap videos?

Edited by takalotti
  • Love 3

Season 7 Marty's storyline seems like one of those real-life anecdotes that don't translate plausibly when put into a fiction. As if a staff writer had pitched , "There was this boy I used to hang out with my freshman year who developed a crush on me, but when we met again as seniors he pretended in front of other people not to know me -- and I went along with it! It was really weird. How about using that as a plot?"

In the show, the situation didn't ring true, it was dramatically limp, and it let Rory off the hook for her mistreatment of Marty.

How much more satisfying the storyline would have been if the situation had been tweaked : instead of Marty pretending not to know her, Marty had pretended instead to have only been acquainted with Rory. "Oh yeah, I remember Rory, we used to live in the same dorm freshman year."

This would have put the onus on Rory. " Actually, we were close friends until I dumped him in favor of some spoiled rich kids who had bullied Marty."

• Love 4

I liked Marty because he was a down to earth guy with very little of the standard tropes that guys in Rory's life tend to have.  It was a neat piece of misdirection to have him show up naked like that.   That odd way of meeting Rory planted a seed in my mind that there could be romance in their future. 

Its cool that Marty and Rory could just be friends (though I would have liked to have seen more), because you don't see her have too many male friends.  The problem is the way the writers just drop his story once the Rory-Logan thing starts getting serious.  There's no reason why Marty wouldn't be in Rory's life anymore even if he only made the odd appearance.  There was more to explore with him.

• Love 1