Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 6/22/15

Dude-heavy week...

6/22: Sen. Al Franken (D-MN)
6/23: Seth MacFarlane (actor, writer & director – promoting “Ted 2”)
6/24: Judge Andrew Napolitano (Senior Judicial Analyst for Fox News Channel)
6/25: Richard Lewis (comedian & author – promoting book “Reflections from Hell: Richard Lewis' Guide On How Not To Live”)

The last time Al Franken was on, he was still a comedian and writer. It'll be good to see him back as a U.S. Democratic senator from Minnesota. The rest I'm less than interested in seeing. Especially Napolitano!

Will the show be dark after that week?

• Love 1

6/22: Sen. Al Franken (D-MN)

I remember when Jon was being interviewed by Rachel Maddow (2010/2011?) he had mentioned that he really wanted to speak with Franken about how he transitioned from comedian to politician. Maddow was pretty dismissive about it saying that Franken doesn't really do interviews on talk shows and the such.

So are we getting 1 of Jon's comedian friends a week? Colin Quinn last week, Judd Apatow this week, and Richard Lewis next week?

Will the show be dark after that week?

No. I don't have the guest listing for the week of June 29, but @Midnight has some of its guests for that week up, so my guess is that the following week (July 6) will be dark.

Last year the show took 2 weeks off around the 4th of July (6/27-7/13). Maybe because of Jon's impending retirement they'll only take one vacation week this year? After all, there won't be a "Daily Show" from Aug. 7-Sept. 27 (Trevor Noah's first show is Sept. 28). I can't remember how many shows Jon has left... I'm kind of in denial about it still.

Last year the show took 2 weeks off around the 4th of July (6/27-7/13). Maybe because of Jon's impending retirement they'll only take one vacation week this year? After all, there won't be a "Daily Show" from Aug. 7-Sept. 27 (Trevor Noah's first show is Sept. 28). I can't remember how many shows Jon has left... I'm kind of in denial about it still.

It's listed on the web that (including tonight), he only has 23 episodes left: A.K.A., fewer episodes than Ollie-Scone's interim host run. T_T

It's listed on the web that (including tonight), he only has 23 episodes left: A.K.A., fewer episodes than Ollie-Scone's interim host run. T_T

Drat... in that case they will be taking 2 weeks off in July. It'll be like a small taste of the sad Jon-less future to come.

• Love 2

I remember when Jon was being interviewed by Rachel Maddow (2010/2011?) he had mentioned that he really wanted to speak with Franken about how he transitioned from comedian to politician. Maddow was pretty dismissive about it saying that Franken doesn't really do interviews on talk shows and the such.

I recall Franken saying - when Elizabeth Warren was first elected - that one piece of media-related advise he would give her was to steer clear of national media for a good chunk of time at the start of her term.  He that she should keep her media appearances on a local (State-wide) level so that her constituents would see her as truly wanting to do what's in their interests instead of seeing her as trying for a national profile.  He said he did this and he felt that his constituents really feel that he's in their corner.  It seems to me that she listened and it paid off.

• Love 2

It sounds like a good idea for African Americans to have a white friend in order to protect them from trouble coming at them. And Fox News blows, everyone knows.

It's as if Al Franken came back from the dark side to report life there. Interesting how Franken is showing respect for his fellow Republican senators because he needs to work with them to get anything done. I'm with Jon in that I could never be able to work with those idiots.

• Love 1

Really Fox News!?  You are against someone politicizing something?  Seriously!?  This from the network that was yelling (and probably still is) "BENGHAZI!  BENGHAZI! BENGHAZI!" pretty much 24/7 for the past year or so.  Even though pretty much all their wacko theories about it have been debunked already.  So shut the eff up about politicizing stuff.

And besides, when there are so many deaths attributed to it being ridiculously easy to acquire a gun these days, just when *is* a good time to talk about guns?  These people don't even want to have a discussion about it -- much less pass any laws and do something.

• Love 5
(edited)

I also really don't like the "too soon" "don't politicize this" canard that gets ripped out when mass shootings happen. I really wish someone important would say, "no, shut up. It's too *late*." No one can ever talk about these issues ever because timing. And then the next one happens. No! Can't say anything now either! Too soon!

So is it too soon for the SC governor to publicly say that the flag should come down? 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 13
(edited)
Interesting how Franken is showing respect for his fellow Republican senators because he needs to work with them to get anything done.

He did mention there were 15 senators he thought were stupid. Heh. At any rate, there's enough open hostility between the parties the way it is; there's no reason to add to it. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

It's as if Al Franken came back from the dark side to report life there. Interesting how Franken is showing respect for his fellow Republican senators because he needs to work with them to get anything done. I'm with Jon in that I could never be able to work with those idiots.

I have a good friend who was a senior staffer for Al D'Amato, starting when he was a local Long Island politician and throughout his tenure in the Senate.  He was telling me once that back in the day, D'Amato and Ted Kennedy would fight tooth and nail on the floor of the Senate, then get together at Joe Biden's house on Friday nights and work out their difference over a game of cards.  That never happens any more - the two sides won't talk to one another, never mind sit down and work out compromises.

• Love 7

I loved that TDS ended up going with the "ignore the African-American with the life experience in favor of the white person [ok, white MAN!] explaining the black person's life experience" angle. That was something I didn't expect and found really funny.

• Love 4
He was telling me once that back in the day, D'Amato and Ted Kennedy would fight tooth and nail on the floor of the Senate, then get together at Joe Biden's house on Friday nights and work out their difference over a game of cards.

I could totally see Biden hosting a card game. I don't know if it's true, but I also read that Reagan socialized with Tip O'Neill as well. 

I would think it would be unprofessional of Franken to bad mouth other senators specifically. 

I loved that TDS ended up going with the "ignore the African-American with the life experience in favor of the white person [ok, white MAN!] explaining the black person's life experience" angle. That was something I didn't expect and found really funny.

I wish the footage of Jessica and her helper whitey, because that part of the segment, in particular, was gold.  I was dying with that woman petting her hair, and then when the cop was calling for reinforcements … that was perfect.

• Love 1

I also really don't like the "too soon" "don't politicize this" canard that gets ripped out when mass shootings happen. I really wish someone important would say, "no, shut up. It's too *late*." No one can ever talk about these issues ever because timing. And then the next one happens. No! Can't say anything now either! Too soon!

So is it too soon for the SC governor to publicly say that the flag should come down? 

I agree - there's a way to politicize things without exploiting them.

I have a good friend who was a senior staffer for Al D'Amato, starting when he was a local Long Island politician and throughout his tenure in the Senate.  He was telling me once that back in the day, D'Amato and Ted Kennedy would fight tooth and nail on the floor of the Senate, then get together at Joe Biden's house on Friday nights and work out their difference over a game of cards.  That never happens any more - the two sides won't talk to one another, never mind sit down and work out compromises.

Sounds like Reagan (who wouldn't be allowed in today's GOP) and Tip O'Neill.

• Love 1

You know what's sad? I don't even understand how racism, or gun control, are political. Shouldn't racism be bad no matter which party you're affiliated with? So why are right wing pundits saying talking about race is political? I honestly don't get it. How is saying we need stricter gun control in this country political? Aren't shooting deaths bad for both parties? 

I mean, OK, maybe the Republican party is fine with openly admitting to being basically under the thumb of the NRA, but when it comes to racism why do they run in the opposite direction every time the subject is raised? What are they so afraid of? It's actually worse than saying "We're on the side of the NRA," because it's like they're saying "We know we're racists, don't say racist."

• Love 6

It felt like the audience didn't understand Jordan and Jessica's bit, or at least didn't know how to respond.  The satire was how when Jon and Jessica said the exact same thing, Jessica was ignorable and Jon was obviously right.  But the audience didn't respond to the satire, and just did the usual "trained seal" raucous cheering when Jordan mentioned Jon's history with TDS.

Jessica's video was pretty funny.  But it's sad how true it is.  Sometimes it seems that causes aren't legitimate until there's a rich, Christian, straight, white man telling us about it.

• Love 5

You can thank George Bush the First's campaign manager Lee Atwater for all this. He was the one who created the dog whistle language for racists to use, as well as accusing others of racism - or the oxymoronic "reverse racism" - in order to silence those that say it sounds racist. Remember the Willie Horton ads? That helped Bush the Elder to win the White House in 1988.

Of course during Bush's term as president, karma was given Atwater's way as he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and, before his death, Atwater apologized for the cynical way he reshaped the political landscape in America. But many on the right, from the Republican party to Fox News to internet trolls to the Dylann Roots that live across the country, continue to use Atwater's coded message to the detriment of the United States.

• Love 6
(edited)
Sometimes it seems that causes aren't legitimate until there's a rich, Christian, straight, white man telling us about it.

Mansplaining is a real thing.

Seth MacFarlane tonight? I get to go to bed early!

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4

He did mention there were 15 senators he thought were stupid. Heh. At any rate, there's enough open hostility between the parties the way it is; there's no reason to add to it. 

Only 15?  That means he is a LIAR or he is STUPID.

I understood Jessica's bit with the whitesplaining, but for me it wasn't a laugh out loud funny thing, it was more of a "oh, I see what they're trying to say there." It really didn't even get a "heh" out of me, but maybe the whole idea just doesn't strike me as funny.

News update:

An anchor from Fox & Friends through an axe and accidently hit a drummer on Father's Day.  The drummer was hit by the broad side of the axe - so he's ok for the most part.  And according to NPR a very wealthy white racist has made donations to a couple of republican, presidential candidates.

These are such lovely good bye gifts for Jon.

What is it they say? Be careful what you wish for Jon, you may just get it? Trump 2016 - THE HORROR!

I'm hoping to see the name Jim Bob Stuckey in one of Jon's upcoming tributes. The one with Jon cutting himself for reals, and Ollie watching him bleed, was cringe worthy hilarious.

DUUUUH Megyn Kelly. That's all you ratfuckers at Fox News do. Criticize the left and make shit up to criticize them. Are you psychotic? Oh wait, you are. Never mind.

I'm a little disappointed in the audience. When Seth MacFarlane was asking if they wanted him to end Family Guy they should have told him YES! It's obvious that he's obviously either bored with it or exhausted. And so are the writers. Take a cue from Jon and move on even if there's still money on the table. You obviously have other things to do.

I wish the footage of Jessica and her helper whitey, because that part of the segment, in particular, was gold.  I was dying with that woman petting her hair, and then when the cop was calling for reinforcements … that was perfect.

I was looking in the background when the cop was "harassing" her and I saw somebody with their cellphone camera out. I kept wondering is that real? And if so are they recording because they know it's TDS or because they think the cop might Eric Garner this black woman?

DUUUUH Megyn Kelly. That's all you ratfuckers at Fox News do. Criticize the left and make shit up to criticize them. Are you psychotic? Oh wait, you are. Never mind.

There's a reason "Who you gonna believe -- me or your lying eyes?" is a cliché. Gaslighting is also a real thing.

Because racist white people are a big part of their base. That's who votes for them in the primaries, especially in the southern states.

I was referring to TV pundits on the right, not politicians. However it's probably two sides of the same coin. Is it that the bulk of the Fox News audience is made up of white racists? I still don't get why they pretend race isn't the motivation or pretend like they don't know. You can pretend you're not a racist without pretending racism doesn't exist. Or is it that the best way to pretend you're not racist is by pretending racism doesn't exist? Hmm, maybe I figured it out.

Loved the whole Trump segment. The guy is... well, he's just unbelievable. Self-parody.

I didn't really care for the Jon -- excuse me -- Jeff Stubing compilation of his being sick and old jokes.

Seth McFarlane... whatever. 

• Love 1
I was looking in the background when the cop was "harassing" her and I saw somebody with their cellphone camera out. I kept wondering is that real? And if so are they recording because they know it's TDS or because they think the cop might Eric Garner this black woman?

Probably the former, since the camera crew for Jessica had to be obvious.

Loved the whole Trump segment. The guy is... well, he's just unbelievable. Self-parody.

The short-fingered vulgarian never lets us down. I want to see where on the back of his head his combover starts. For that alone, he's unelectable.

• Love 1

The short-fingered vulgarian never lets us down. I want to see where on the back of his head his combover starts. For that alone, he's unelectable.

Oh, how I miss Spy. I've been using that description of Trump for 30 years now!

• Love 4

Yeah that about sums up my feelings about him too. I have never watched The Family Guy, and there is something oddly plastic about his eyes/face.

This is not your father's combover!

donaldtrumphairflying.jpg

About 10 years back, my late husband encountered both Trump & Guiliani on the streets of Manhattan and each time it was a particularly windy day - a la when the photo above was taken.  Both times, his statement to each was "Bad Hair Day?"  Both grumbled at him by way of response.  Being grumbled at by these idiots made him smile.

• Love 8
I was referring to TV pundits on the right, not politicians. However it's probably two sides of the same coin. Is it that the bulk of the Fox News audience is made up of white racists? I still don't get why they pretend race isn't the motivation or pretend like they don't know. You can pretend you're not a racist without pretending racism doesn't exist. Or is it that the best way to pretend you're not racist is by pretending racism doesn't exist? Hmm, maybe I figured it out.

2a8i7wo.jpg

• Love 2

Same here. I can only take so much of this idiot before tuning him out. When it comes to equal opportunity offending people, South Park's Trey Parker and Matt Stone are miles ahead of McFarlane because both make attempts to use their brains, whereas McFarlane seems to want to spray shit out of his ass onto a canvas and call it funny.

Good to see people starting to see the Confederate flag for what it is. A symbol of racism and treason against the United States. But it's a long journey to get people to admit there is a real problem with racism in America. And dipshits like Todd Starnes and Monica Crowley aren't helping.

So Kristen is done with TDS.? Looks like a woman's picture on U.S. bills was something she would do. Jessica's last line at the end was the best part of the segment.