Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Mother

Roger chose the women who were going to have dinner with them, and I think this was before that, wasn't it? Otherwise, maybe it was so Roger could say, "Hey, Adam, Maya's great. Keep her."

Yes, Shia's logic was that Maya should cozy up to Roger to get chosen by him for the group date and potentially the one-on-one. I think everything after that was impulse and alcohol.

I think she was crying and her mascara ran and her eye make-up was all messed up; maybe that gave you the impression of a bruise?
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. Adam later had a bruised eye from trading blows with Roger. 

I'm more inclined to think Maya wasn't raped, but that she was upset that Adam saw that she had sex with Roger while she was drunk
She was crying already when Rachel forced the door open. It seemed clear to me that some form of sexual assault happened, but I like that the show left the details unclear. I prefer to think that Maya was crying because Roger was in the process of forcing himself on her but that Rachel intervened before he could do more than get her top off (I believe she still had her bottoms on, but Roger didn't). 

Contestants can't sign away certain rights, so they can always sue production companies in the case of assaults. There have been multiple lawsuits (generally about physical injuries rather than sexual assaults), but I think they've all been settled out of court. It's not advantageous for production companies to have their dirty laundry made part of the court record. Even Survivor settled with Stacey Stillman rather than fight it out in court.

• Love 3

Adam chose Maya as both a "screw you" to Roger and because he felt bad for Maya, who was worried she was going home

I could see it as a screw you to Roger, but Adam is the one who ultimately chooses who goes home and who doesn't, no matter what the producers want as we saw with Britney, so if he didn't want Maya to go home she wouldn't.

• Love 1

I think legally (since I'm not a lawyer, I should know) no matter what you sign, you always have the right to file criminal charges. However, a contract with the show could prevent you from seeking a civil settlement, which usually means money. It also prevents frivolous criminal charges, which are sometimes a precursor to a civil judgment.

• Love 2
The Real World has everyone sign a contract including stipulations that people on the show may be sexually assaulted, and they're one of the few shows that have had publicized sexual assaults occur during filming.

That is utterly appalling.

I felt bad that Maya was more worried about being sent home than she was about someone forcing themselves on her when she was so wasted.  This bothers me more than the crazy Mother, who needs to have her medical license revoked.  

Adam may be smarmy, but I like that he stood up for Maya and socked the hell out of his "friend."  Both he and Rachel seem to come from super dysfunctional families.  I think it explains a lot. I'm curious to see how the season plays out (and hope there is a second season).

• Love 7

I think legally (since I'm not a lawyer, I should know) no matter what you sign, you always have the right to file criminal charges. However, a contract with the show could prevent you from seeking a civil settlement, which usually means money. It also prevents frivolous criminal charges, which are sometimes a precursor to a civil judgment.

In most cases the contract is intended to protect the show. Even if Maya can't sue Chet's production company, but she could sue Roger. Or, better yet, she sues Shia for creating a toxic workplace.

I'm hoping someone will sue Jeremy or his stupid girlfriend for poking someone in the eye. They're essentially useless to the story.

• Love 2
It's really twisted how the worse Anna feels the more she's portrayed as a villain. Her father dies; the producers edit her outburst at them to make her look crazy. She's bulimic; the producers exacerbate it and manipulate her into picking a fight with Grace. If Rachel and Adam had kept Britney -- Quinn's first preference for villain of the season -- this likely wouldn't be happening to Anna!

No, it wouldn't be happening to Anna; we would instead see a woman deeply traumatized by her upbringing ("you are not worthy of love") being manipulated even further. In a way, us* wanting Britney to be kept on the show, so Anna wouldn't be hurt by her portray al as the villian plays right into the stereotypes Everlasting is perpetuating. I think this is excellent writing from the team behind the show.

*I'm not saying that you would rather see Britney tormented than Anna, but it plays directly into our ideas of what good girls deserves contra "bad girls".

So what was the point of Shia telling her girl Maya that the way to Adam is to loosen up w/ his best friend?  Isn't the rule here that whichever girl wins, the handler gets a big fat bonus?  Shia can't seem to read a room at all, b/c what guy is going to want the girl who is the drunk party girl who ends up getting naked on camera and being all over his best friend.  Shia should have reigned Maya in at some point but instead she let's her basically get sexually assaulted.  I'm surprised Quinn didn't fire her ass over that just for plain stupidity.

I think Shia was so obsessed with beating Rachel she forgot everything else. Beside the fact that Shia's just not very good at her job, her jealousy made her stupid. I think that dynamic mirrors what happened with Anna and (I forgot her name) where insecurity made both Anna and Shia do something they'll later regret. Of course Anna might regret her behavior on a more fundamental level (and she also has the excuse of being totally manipulated by Rachel/the show) while Shia'll probably just nurse even more resentment toward Rachel.

Adam chose Maya as both a "screw you" to Roger and because he felt bad for Maya, who was worried she was going home (and maybe in subtext or subconsciously to please Rachel). I suppose Roger/producers worked together on Anna, but I don't think it really matters.

We see this dynamic with Adam and Rachel already in the first episode when Adam chose Faith over Britney on Rachel's suggestion. I think that's the reason why I don't mind the show running with a lovestory between those two: We know as viewers that it won't go anywhere (because otherwise UnREAL will lose its protagonist)* but it makes for another level in the interdynamics of the show.

*Of course Adam could stay on Everlasting as another Chet-like producer, but that sound waaay to convoluted even for this show.

• Love 7
(edited)

Really? I thought this one established the exact opposite. Shia and Jay are decent enough, but Jay can't get the full extent of trust that Rachel can (and I think also, maybe doesn't care enough about it) and Shia pushes too bluntly. She was supposed to get Maya into serious contention with Adam and instead got Maya sexually assaulted. And while Shia can't be to blame for the latter, Shia did push Maya towards Roger instead of Adam and did fail to control for music right's issues with the pool party, which meant no conversations could be used. Rachel was needed to rescue the situation. 

Rachel, Shia and Jay all were able to manipulate their girls to take some kind of dramatic action. So that's success. At least, to the show's producers anyway. They just want the drama/fireworks. I don't think they really care what the consequences end up being when they make their handlers push the buttons. Once the buttons are pushed, they step back and just wait to see what happens, so the results are pretty much out of their control. I don't think she's necessarily better at her job because it "only" results in Anna being exploited/villianized instead of getting assaulted like Maya because Roger's a scumbag of a human. In fact, you can even argue that Rachel's morally worse because the exploitation is a more direct result of what she does (didn't they even show her presenting the edited footage or something?) as opposed to a third party like Roger getting involved.

Edited by taragel
  • Love 2
(edited)

Rachel, Shia and Jay all were able to manipulate their girls to take some kind of dramatic action. So that's success. At least, to the show's producers anyway. They just want the drama/fireworks. I don't think they really care what the consequences end up being when they make their handlers push the buttons. Once the buttons are pushed, they step back and just wait to see what happens, so the results are pretty much out of their control. I don't think she's necessarily better at her job because it "only" results in Anna being exploited/villianized instead of getting assaulted like Maya because Roger's a scumbag of a human. In fact, you can even argue that Rachel's morally worse because the exploitation is a more direct result of what she does (didn't they even show her presenting the edited footage or something?) as opposed to a third party like Roger getting involved.

I don't disagree entirely, but the footage from the pool party ended up being useless, because the production team didn't have the rights to the music played during, so - as Quinn pointed out to Shia - none of the dialog during the party was admissable. In that sense, Rachel is a better producer, not because she's more humane, but because she understood that. Shia was so obsessed with beating Rachel and/or proving to Quinn she was just as good, she forgot that. And that makes her bad at her job.

But you're right; morally what Rachel did was worse. It's an interesting conundrum; we are asked by the show to root (in a small way) for Rachel in the Rachel vs. Shia contest, but Rachel's morally bankrupt. Well, the entire crew is actually morally bankrupt, the girls are mainly stupid for signing up for Everlasting and Adam is more often than not a douche. I don't really know why I like this show so much, but I do. Figures.

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 4

No, it wouldn't be happening to Anna; we would instead see a woman deeply traumatized by her upbringing ("you are not worthy of love") being manipulated even further. In a way, us* wanting Britney to be kept on the show, so Anna wouldn't be hurt by her portray al as the villian plays right into the stereotypes Everlasting is perpetuating. I think this is excellent writing from the team behind the show.

*I'm not saying that you would rather see Britney tormented than Anna, but it plays directly into our ideas of what good girls deserves contra "bad girls".

I agree and one of the things I find fascinating is that we're talking about and relating to the characters like its a real reality show! Bitch Britney, sweet Faith, misunderstood Anna. Its hilariously and horribly meta. These are actors playing reality show contestants--its totally messing up my head, in a great way, LOL.

• Love 5

It's an interesting conundrum; we are asked by the show to root (in a small way) for Rachel in the Rachel vs. Shia contest, but Rachel's morally bankrupt. 

Anna asked Rachel for "Cheesy puffs—or just anything that's bright orange." And Rachel agreed—knowing it's her "marker food."

• Love 4
(edited)

And that was what Rachel was expecting and she engineered that exchange so that Anna would ask for them. Rachel is very, very good at her job. Sadly her job is being an absolute moral cesspool. No wonder she's messed up. She's not a bad enough person to glory in it. She at least sometimes realizes that the contestants are real people.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 5

Anna asked Rachel for "Cheesy puffs—or just anything that's bright orange." And Rachel agreed—knowing it's her "marker food."

I didn't understand that. What's marker food?

Wait, Chet Wilton's supposed to be 46?! Craig Bierko's 50, and looks it.

He seemed older than 50 during his scene with Quinn. The whole time, I kept wondering what Quinn saw in him.. He was disheveled, unkempt, and had crazy eyes. And he looked sweaty and stinky, like he hadn't taken a shower in days. Not to be gross--okay, I am trying to be gross, but I wonder what his junk smelled like? And how could Quinn be aroused enough to do it with him twice?

I did find it touching that Quinn knew his medical history and what medications he takes. So the relationship seems to be more than just a physical thing. For Quinn, anyway.

• Love 6
(edited)

In most cases the contract is intended to protect the show. Even if Maya can't sue Chet's production company, but she could sue Roger. Or, better yet, she sues Shia for creating a toxic workplace.

She can't sue Shia because she had too much to drink. Its not Shia's fault that Maya got attacked. She didn't hold her down and let Roger attack. All the blame is on Roger for being scum.

Edited by In2You

Read this interview today and it reminded me of UnREAL. Fave quote from the winning contestant of I Wanna Marry "Harry":

They actually had a therapist come on set at one point and talk to a few of us who were saying it wasn’t him. We found out later that it wasn’t a real, licensed therapist. It was just someone from the production team.
  • Love 3

Anna is bulimic. As Quinn explained to Rachel, a "marker food" is "so she knows when to stop—when the orange comes back up. It means she got everything else out." Rachel said, "But if she doesn't have her marker, she's gonna hurl till she pukes her brains out." (Which I guess is how she justifies getting Cheesy Puffs for Anna?) Quinn's much more callous: "So? Our girls find our villain on the bathroom floor in a pool of her own puke. It's good TV."

• Love 2
(edited)

There wasn't too much drama with the girls this week but I still thought this was a really good episode. It started off lackluster but that stuff with her mom. Wow. One interpretation is that she is another one of those troubled genius characters but that's so boring and not what I got from those scenes. I don't think she has any kind of psychological disorder. It does seem like her mom wanted a project and was also ill-equipped to properly raise a child and so she kept diagnosing her with different disorders and drove her to this anxious state. Also, it's possible that being in that environment of psychoanalysis and treatment is what helped make her so manipulative and good at reading people, not some kind of sociopathic nature.

And then she kind of repeats that toxic combination with Quinn. On the one side empathy and comfort and on the other side having the power to withhold resources and forcing her to perform in some way to compensate for her own failures.

Adam is OK but I still haven't found anything too compelling there. I'm encouraged that they're going to be developing some of the characters. Grace actually seems like she could be a decent match. I'm worried about Maya. My heart wants to believe Rachel got there in time but I don't think that's the case. They're spending too much time on Anna. I still feel like they got all the use they could out of her as a character last week.

I still really don't care about Quinn and Chet.

Shia continues to be awful. How did she even get hired?

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 3

Read this interview today and it reminded me of UnREAL. Fave quote from the winning contestant of I Wanna Marry "Harry":

That show was awful. In fact so bad I believe it got canceled early. Of course they wouldn't waste money on a therapist for that show. They were tricking naïve girls into thinking Prince Harry would actually do a reality dating show. If they hadn't started casting this show back in 2013 I would've thought they got the British suitor idea from that show.

• Love 1

I liked how they paralleled the talk Rachel's mom gave to comfort her, where she moved seats to sit next to her, with Rachel and the bachelorettes. Shows how the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

I don't think anything's wrong with Rachel. At least, nothing was wrong with her before her mom started messing with her. But it's interesting that she could say that those kind of issues ran in families and blame it entirely on Rachel's dad. 

Also, if Rachel was so concerned about her dad, call the authorities.

I think her mom clearly still has a hold on her.

See, I have no problems with this, since it'll be doomed from the start: If Lifetime wants more than one season out of this, Rachel wont end up with the rich guy at the end of the show.

From your lips to the ears of TPTB. I also have no interest in her ex. I don't care if he's eye candy. He's as expressive as a plank of wood.

Rachel is trying to find approval from maternal figures rather than herself.

As someone who struggles with this, I understand it completely. Have we ever heard her say what she wants aside from getting out and away from the show? I'm not sure if she knows what she wants to do. She only knows that she's good at this and she can feel successful and get the approval she craves doing things for Quinn.

Nah Faith winning would be such a big joke.

I like having Faith around, but yeah, it would make no sense for Adam to fall for her. 

When Adam chose Maya, against his friends written choice of Anna, it made no sense to me at all.  I can't figure out Adam's game here.  Did his friend really choose Anna for the day long date, or did the producers choose her?  Why was Faith nowhere at all in this episode, even in the background w/ the other girls?

I read that as although Roger was fine to come on and make an ass of himself, he still chose someone who would be a somewhat respectable choice... Anna the lawyer. Also, I do think Adam was reacting against Roger using Maya and then discarding her. I was confused about the lack of Faith given how much she's been in other episodes even in the background.

The sexual assault with a very clear bruised eye when she came out of the pool house was enough to initiate a lawsuit over.

Did I miss something? I thought that was mascara.

If Rachel and Adam had kept Britney -- Quinn's first preference for villain of the season -- this likely wouldn't be happening to Anna!

Excellent point. It's very much a "there are no good options" situation. Even when you do something that seems good, like getting rid of Britney and boosting Faith's confidence it ends up screwing someone else down the line.

The Real World has everyone sign a contract including stipulations that people on the show may be sexually assaulted, and they're one of the few shows that have had publicized sexual assaults occur during filming.

Jesus Christ.

• Love 2

where insecurity made both Anna and Shia do something they'll later regret. Of course Anna might regret her behavior on a more fundamental level (and she also has the excuse of being totally manipulated by Rachel/the show)

It's striking to see how fast Anna has spiraled. Obviously, her father's death affected her but I think it's also her bulimia and just the environment of the show. She's in a fragile, anxious state and it's being exacerbated by the world around her. Remember, this was the girl who just last episode was smart enough to see through Rachel's manipulation and stop herself from slut-shaming Grace. And what does she do this episode when she wants to retaliate for the supposed rumors Grace is spreading? And remember, she still had the presence of mind to want to walk away from the show before Adam pulled her back in. 

• Love 2

She can't sue Shia because she had too much to drink. Its not Shia's fault that Maya got attacked. She didn't hold her down and let Roger attack. All the blame is on Roger for being scum.

At the end of the day, Shia was the one in charge and she didn't follow protocol. Aside from blasting the music, nothing that happened was even usable for the show. If Maya were to sue the production company, there are a million ways they can turn it around and counter sue Shia or Roger. People like Quinn and Chet at the top of the ladder are protected by the studio. Everyone else is as much of a pawn as the contestants because they are all independent contractors.

Say for example, there's a fight, someone has an open wound and Jeremy's girlfriend applies makeup to cover it up. Two weeks later, it gets infected, the makeup chick gets sued, not the studio.

I think the list of Mom diagnosed problems was Attention Deficit, Bipolar, Borderline Personality and then Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Maybe mom was just going through the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders alphabetically...

If Lifetime wants more than one season out of this, Rachel wont end up with the rich guy at the end of the show.

Given the brevity of the relationships that come out of these shows, I don't think that would be a problem.

• Love 7

People like Quinn and Chet at the top of the ladder are protected by the studio. Everyone else is as much of a pawn as the contestants because they are all independent contractors.

This is an excellent point. The contestants and the workers in the trenches are all hosed. Equal opportunity exploitation.

They actually had a therapist come on set at one point and talk to a few of us who were saying it wasn’t him. We found out later that it wasn’t a real, licensed therapist. It was just someone from the production team.

Taking this to the Unreality vs. Reality thread.

At the end of the day, Shia was the one in charge and she didn't follow protocol. Aside from blasting the music, nothing that happened was even usable for the show. If Maya were to sue the production company, there are a million ways they can turn it around and counter sue Shia or Roger. People like Quinn and Chet at the top of the ladder are protected by the studio. Everyone else is as much of a pawn as the contestants because they are all independent contractors.

Say for example, there's a fight, someone has an open wound and Jeremy's girlfriend applies makeup to cover it up. Two weeks later, it gets infected, the makeup chick gets sued, not the studio.

Your example is not the same as this situation. Shia gave her one shot of liquor but that doesn't mean she's responsible for Roger and Maya's actions.

Wait, Chet Wilton's supposed to be 46?! Craig Bierko's 50, and looks it.

Rachel told her parents the guy on Everlasting is called "the suitor." What're the contestants called?Adam: Mate, hey, you're making a fool of yourself.Roger: I am? I'm not the one who signed up to a whorehouse on the telly.

Agree bierko looks old but Quinn who is 44 (actress) looks older than me and I'm 50. How people look depends on allot of things and judging age over 40 is very tricky.

I liked this episode because all along I wondered why Rachel didn't just ask someone for a loan to get the comouter back. Now I inderstand why, someone in the crew might have loaned her he money but her upbringing has taught her money comes with huge strings.

A lot of complexity. I can't help admiring Rachel's skills at emotional manipulation and her sincerity is what makes it work,

And surprisingly I do like adam. Choosing maya was kind,

Yes it was mascara... I thought it was a bruise at first but a bruise wouldn't show up that fast. It was dripping mascara from crying.

• Love 2

I guess I pat myself on the back because I only really watch the housewives shows-well New York and Beverley Hills.  Then i thought sometimes I watch Big Brother and Sister Wives, so more than a lot of people.

Bottom line if we did not keep watching these shows would not exist.  Also, we have in many cases driven away the unions.  None of these shows are covered by the union, the Screen Actors Guild and it goes for production as well.(please correct me if I am wrong.)  I am pro union as my husband is a plumber.  We are all screwed. 

• Love 3

I guess I pat myself on the back because I only really watch the housewives shows-well New York and Beverley Hills.  Then i thought sometimes I watch Big Brother and Sister Wives, so more than a lot of people.

Bottom line if we did not keep watching these shows would not exist.  Also, we have in many cases driven away the unions.  None of these shows are covered by the union, the Screen Actors Guild and it goes for production as well.(please correct me if I am wrong.)  I am pro union as my husband is a plumber.  We are all screwed. 

It's like the tabloids in the grocery store - somebody is buying them!  And somebody is out there in tvland watching the Kardashiams and, prior to that, Paris Hilton, etc...

• Love 2
(edited)

It's like the tabloids in the grocery store - somebody is buying them!  And somebody is out there in tvland watching the Kardashiams and, prior to that, Paris Hilton, etc...

True.  How do I stop watching these shows?  I am serious.  I am going to wean myself off of these shows.  I know they are vile and have known it for a while, so why do I keep watching. 

UnReal may not be totally accurate but it does make some good points.  Rachel's mother was right about one thing this is bully TV. I can justify watching because " these people have signed up for these shows"  so they deserve all of our scorn.   It is just that until you are there you don't realise the extent of manipulation.

I am down to RHoNY, Celebrity Wife Swap  and Sister Wives, there is not a lot to watch right now so I am vulnerabal.  I am not kidding.

Edited by applecrisp

True.  How do I stop watching these shows?  I am serious.  I am going to wean myself off of these shows.  I know they are vile and have known it for a while, so why do I keep watching. 

...SNIP...

I am down to RHoNY, Celebrity Wife Swap  and Sister Wives, there is not a lot to watch right now so I am vulnerabal.  I am not kidding.

Not sure.  As I said on Unreal vs Reality, my reality bar was set by Paradise Hotel and if it is not as cheesily awful as that, it doesn't make my viewing.  I did watch several seasons of America's Next Top Model (probably 1 - 6ish?) because it was a glorious hour of Tyra Bank's ego. Plus, the wicked, but onpoint Janice Dickison.  The only reality competion I watched and truly enjoyed was RockStar: INXS.  I tried a bit of The Voice but it has never lived up to its potential - too much focus on the judges.  But my interest tapered out, eventually, when it was wash/rinse/repeat manufactured story arcs.

If you enjoy the shows, no matter how perversely, and recognize the programming for what it is - I see no harm in it.  I do worry about younger people adopting the idea of celebrity (for the sake of celebrity) is a goal and/or given.  And since we live in a world of social media , the number of followers you have somehow reflects your revelance.  And I hang my head in shame that I get a small thrill when I get a thumbs up on a post and big thrill when I get several (on the few times that has happened).

• Love 3
(edited)

UnReal may not be totally accurate but it does make some good points. Rachel's mother was right about one thing this is bully TV. I can justify watching because "these people have signed up for these shows" so they deserve all of our scorn. It is just that until you are there you don't realise the extent of manipulation.

TPTB at E's The Soup watch all the reality TV shows so I don't have to. And I watched Bravo's The People's Couch a couple of times.

Forgot to mention that I flove RuPaul's Drag Race on Logo. Overall the queens seem way less bitter about their experience than contestants from other reality shows. Go figure!

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Sadly even Project Runway is like this now. They used to be a cut above but not it's all contrived alliances and villains and redemption arcs.

I only ever enjoyed the ones that seemed to have some connection to something real-- the first season of The Apprentice, for example.

I liked the old The Dating Game but that was one episode. This season long thing involving sex is just icky, to me.

• Love 2

I absolutely love the mom scene, now we know where Rachel learned everything she knows. It was masterful.

There's an axiom regarding dysfunctional families: that the one who is acting out is the only one who's sane. Rachel is the one who is acting out, at home and on the set.. I thought it was totally hilarious.

• Love 5

I didn't understand that either. The explanation went right over my head so I looked it up for more clarity. Basically, when someone is bulimic, they binge on a lot of food at one time; a lot of different foods. They start the binge with a food that is particularly bright or easily identifiable (in this case bright orange cheese puffs). Once the person eats the bright identifiable food, they continue their binge with other foods. When they are finished binging and throw up, they watch what is coming out of their system and look for that marker food to come out (the orange cheese puff). Once they see the identified marker food that they started their binge with, they know they have completely emptied their stomach of everything they ate during the binge.

Hope that makes more sense.

• Love 1

Really? I thought this one established the exact opposite. Shia and Jay are decent enough, but Jay can't get the full extent of trust that Rachel can (and I think also, maybe doesn't care enough about it) and Shia pushes too bluntly. She was supposed to get Maya into serious contention with Adam and instead got Maya sexually assaulted. And while Shia can't be to blame for the latter, Shia did push Maya towards Roger instead of Adam and did fail to control for music right's issues with the pool party, which meant no conversations could be used. Rachel was needed to rescue the situation. 

To me, it seems very clear that Rachel hates herself and hates the show because she knows how cruel it is, but she loves being so good and competent at her craft. She also has an f'd up relationship with Quinn, which I love to watch. Quinn gives Rachel all the acceptance and appreciation that Rachel can't get from her own mother, but Quinn's appreciation comes with its own stiff price tag.

Adam is an intriguing character to me. I find him charming and likable by the standards of the show, but at the same time, he's not really a good person. I think what draws him to Rachel is that they're both dealing with the same struggle of trying to be decent people when they're actually not. I don't want Adam and Rachel to end up together, but I think I do want for Adam to actually fall in love with one of the contestants. I think that would upset him the most--to lose his detachment and control over the situation.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is my issue with the show. At this point, noone's point of view is worth the price of spit. Rachel, Quinn, Adam, Shia, and black behind the scenes guys are all borderline sociopaths. If anything, this show has made me realize that while I sort of always thought that the people who go on these shows are borderline mentally ill and/or self-serving opportunists, the people who are behind the scenes make the contestants seem lovable in comparison.

I don't disagree entirely, but the footage from the pool party ended up being useless, because the production team didn't have the rights to the music played during, so - as Quinn pointed out to Shia - none of the dialog during the party was admissable.

I got the impression that the main reason the footage was useless was that it wouldn't "cut" into the show--i.e., it would make no sense in the narrative that Everlasting is spinning at this point in its season. Nothing that came before motivated it, and nothing that would come after would make sense.

I just started watching this and Craig Bierko is awful.  His bug eyes might work in other roles but in this it just makes him seem like a cartoon.  I think they have a perfect description of a sleazy reality tv show producer but he just bothers me and not in the way they would want.