Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Mother

(edited)

Holy shit Rachel's mom is awful.  No wonder Rachel's a mess having her mother diagnose her with (medicate her for) every possible emotional disorder under the sun.  And Rachel really doesn't seem to have any of the disorders mentioned.  She strikes me as having definite emotional issues and is clearly highly manipulative, but bipolar?  Jesus, lady. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 13

I liked how they paralleled the talk Rachel's mom gave to comfort her, where she moved seats to sit next to her, with Rachel and the bachelorettes. Shows how the apple didn't fall too far from the tree.

The whole Roger and Maya thing was insane. This show is getting a lot darker than I thought.

• Love 4

As much as I loved the scenes with Rachel and her mom, it was a weird moment and I'm not sure I quite bought it. Bipolar? When Machiavellianism or even Borderline Personality are just sitting there?

• Love 1

I thought Bipolar was the first diagnosis by mom.  Mom stated she had BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) which was why she was so good at her job.  Also, if Rachel was so concerned about her dad, call the authorities.  Not treating your family members is not a guideline like the mom said.  You can and should lose you license to practice if you do.  Mom might be able to diagnosis but she would not be allowed to treat

• Love 6

I thought Bipolar was the first diagnosis by mom.  Mom stated she had BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) which was why she was so good at her job.  Also, if Rachel was so concerned about her dad, call the authorities.  Not treating your family members is not a guideline like the mom said.  You can and should lose you license to practice if you do.  Mom might be able to diagnosis but she would not be allowed to treat

For reals. Rachel's mom is violating all kinds of ethics and standards of practice.

I was just pointing out the extremities of diagnosis he mother gave her. I noted bipolar because it was the one that stuck in my head (I'm extremely familiar with it, 3 members of my family have the diagnosis).  Both Bipolar disorder and BPD are pretty significant diagnoses with some heavy duty meds that can go along with them.  And, though Rachel obviously has some significant issues and had at least one dramatic breakdown, giving her a series of diagnoses for serious emotional and psychological disorders itself would be damaging coming from her mother.  

• Love 6
(edited)

I think this was the episode that really hooked me - probably because it was so dark. The whole Roger/Maya thing really freaked me out. Bastard.

And I'll echo the praise for Shiri in the scenes with her mom: I used to think she was just above capable as an actress (Roswell was my drug of choice back in the day) but she's really impressed me in this. Also, as someone with a bunch of doctors in the family, I can definitely testify to the fact that it's completely unethical to treat your own family. (Broken finger? A rash? Sure. Serious issues like mental disorders, never!) And the mom proved exactly why there rules for that sort of thing.

It's funny; I don't watch reality programs (except The Great British Bake-Off and Face Off), but shows like The Bachelor has become such a phenomenon that I have no problems believing in all the shenanigans UnReal introduces.

How cute. Rachel and Adam both have issues with parents. Gee, I can't see that pairing coming from a mile away...

See, I have no problems with this, since it'll be doomed from the start: If Lifetime wants more than one season out of this, Rachel wont end up with the rich guy at the end of the show.

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 4

I keep trying to pinpoint what prevents me from really loving this show like I thought I would. I think Rachel might be the wrong POV character. She's supposed to be relatable as a girl who got herself trapped in a bad situation but...I have no real sympathy for her. Even though the Mom was a piece of work who exploited/abused her basically. I think the show was trying for an antiheroine that people would root for (a la Walter White, Tony Soprano etc.) but she's got way too much self-pity/guilt and not nearly enough agency for antiheroinism. I think maybe if Quinn were the main character it'd be more compelling because she gives no fucks aside from the relationship with Chet where she's vulnerable--and I would more easily believe she could've broke down/fucked up but still have been asked to come back by him both for his emotional selfishness and because the show truly needs her. Rachel still seems fairly dispensable to me, even if she's good at manipulating the girls--this episode showed that the others on her level can get those same results too if they press the right buttons. 

Alternately, a total outsider/innocent who got corrupted by the game could've worked too (maybe Jeremy's fiance, Liz?) 

I guess I just can't see the story arc here--is Rachel going to finally have had it/totally lose her mind/quit the show for good and be free? Or is she going to embrace the fact that she's good at her job even if it makes her a horrible human? I'd like to see it go the latter way honestly but I'm sure it'll go the former route. Lifetime very clearly seems to be trying to have some cake by flirting with darkness/antiheroine but eating it too by wanting her to be relatable and sympathetic and ultimately a "good person."

• Love 12

I keep trying to pinpoint what prevents me from really loving this show like I thought I would. I think Rachel might be the wrong POV character

Rachel being my least favorite character other than Chet, I have a personal reason to think she's the wrong POV character. I guess because she put herself in this situation so I don't feel like she's trapped at all. She could, you know, face the consequences of her actions instead of being handed an out in being gainfully employed in a job she's really good at and half the time seems to enjoy . Honestly, I can't tell what she thinks because she's all over the place. Half the time she loves being a bitch the other she does that pained guilty face.  That's not interesting to me and I'm not on the Sheri Applebee love train so she's not really selling it to me either. (don't hate the actress, just don't see anything special about her that makes me overlook the bad characterization)

I get not using one of the contestants as a POV in case this goes to a second season, but I like all of them and am more interested in all of them than Rachel. The only production person I like at all right now is Quinn because at least she entertains me. lol

• Love 3
Rachel still seems fairly dispensable to me, even if she's good at manipulating the girls--this episode showed that the others on her level can get those same results too if they press the right buttons.

Really? I thought this one established the exact opposite. Shia and Jay are decent enough, but Jay can't get the full extent of trust that Rachel can (and I think also, maybe doesn't care enough about it) and Shia pushes too bluntly. She was supposed to get Maya into serious contention with Adam and instead got Maya sexually assaulted. And while Shia can't be to blame for the latter, Shia did push Maya towards Roger instead of Adam and did fail to control for music right's issues with the pool party, which meant no conversations could be used. Rachel was needed to rescue the situation. 

Honestly, I can't tell what she thinks because she's all over the place. Half the time she loves being a bitch the other she does that pained guilty face.
To me, it seems very clear that Rachel hates herself and hates the show because she knows how cruel it is, but she loves being so good and competent at her craft. She also has an f'd up relationship with Quinn, which I love to watch. Quinn gives Rachel all the acceptance and appreciation that Rachel can't get from her own mother, but Quinn's appreciation comes with its own stiff price tag.

Adam is an intriguing character to me. I find him charming and likable by the standards of the show, but at the same time, he's not really a good person. I think what draws him to Rachel is that they're both dealing with the same struggle of trying to be decent people when they're actually not. I don't want Adam and Rachel to end up together, but I think I do want for Adam to actually fall in love with one of the contestants. I think that would upset him the most--to lose his detachment and control over the situation.

• Love 19

To me, it seems very clear that Rachel hates herself and hates the show because she knows how cruel it is, but she loves being so good and competent at her craft.

I agree.  I think it is pretty easy in Hollywood to lose track of morality and narrowly focus on doing your job, and doing it well, in the ultra competitive environment of the show.  I think the bigger picture of what she is involved in has started to sink in and she's struggling with that, but not all the time.

• Love 4
(edited)

Wait, Chet Wilton's supposed to be 46?! Craig Bierko's 50, and looks it.

Rachel told her parents the guy on Everlasting is called "the suitor." What're the contestants called?

Adam: Mate, hey, you're making a fool of yourself.

Roger: I am? I'm not the one who signed up to a whorehouse on the telly.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1
(edited)

"How cute. Rachel and Adam both have issues with parents. Gee, I can't see that pairing coming from a mile away..."

You say that as though it were a bad thing:)

I supposed we'll know soon enough how well they're able to pull it off, assuming they go there.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 5
To me, it seems very clear that Rachel hates herself and hates the show because she knows how cruel it is, but she loves being so good and competent at her craft. She also has an f'd up relationship with Quinn, which I love to watch. Quinn gives Rachel all the acceptance and appreciation that Rachel can't get from her own mother, but Quinn's appreciation comes with its own stiff price tag.

Adam is an intriguing character to me. I find him charming and likable by the standards of the show, but at the same time, he's not really a good person. I think what draws him to Rachel is that they're both dealing with the same struggle of trying to be decent people when they're actually not. I don't want Adam and Rachel to end up together, but I think I do want for Adam to actually fall in love with one of the contestants. I think that would upset him the most--to lose his detachment and control over the situation.

This. What I love most about the show is the Rachel-Quinn and Rachel-Adam constellations. I hadn't thought of Quinn as a substitute mother, but I think you hit the nail on the head. Both the mother and Quinn share some traits, but I think the parallel with Rachel's mother telling her that she's got every mental disease on the planet, and Quinn (casual-like, like the thought never occured to her) telling Rachel that there's nothing wrong with her, with enjoying what she's good at, was very interesting. Obviously, Quinn has sold her soul to the devil (and Chet, uggh!) but I actually prefer her as a mother figure ;)

What you wrote about Adam and Rachel (the bolded) I think is the other reason I like this show so much. Normally I'm not that into the whole Walter-White/Don-Draper-antihero, but this here, works for me. Especially because I think they both want so badly to be better people. Or at least to be percieved as better people. I don't think Adam is a bad person, per se, but I think he is weak. A follower. The company you keep, etc. Which is also the reason I was so happy when he punched Roger - we do see a bit of evolution with his character.

To be honest, I was thinking that was the reason Faith is still on the show

Oh, I hope so. I don't have anything against Anna (I think the actress is very pretty), but she's just so...perfect. Casted by Everlasting as a wifey, and if she ends up the chosen one on UnREAL too, it's just too easy. I much prefer Faith.

• Love 7

I don't think Adam's a weak follower. All of his problems stem from trying to strike out on his own. I think he's a spoiled brat. And, like Rachel, thinks that manipulating people into liking him (whether the contestants or Everlasting's audience) will solve his problems. It may be corny to say that "he needs to find contentment within" but I think it's true. In both their cases. Rachel is trying to find approval from maternal figures rather than herself.

Now, whether interacting with each other (romantically or not) will help them fix their problems or make them worse or something more mixed is an open question.

• Love 3
(edited)

Nah Faith winning would be such a big joke. We all know she's only on the show because she's the "ugly" girl. I don't think anyone would root for her all the way though. Its been a long time since I watched The Bachelor but the audience usually seemed to love the pretty all American girl. I'd rather he pull a Brad Womack and choose no one.

Edited by In2You

The first time I watched the episode Rachel's mother made my skin crawl. Not only was she completely unethical, but I really feel like she's projecting her disorder onto Rachel and her husband. And to condition her love and support on the requirement that Rachel get treatment from her mother is monstrous.

• Love 13

I think some of what makes Rachel tick is apparent in this episode. If your parent (and I guess Dad is kind of a nonentity) psychoanalyzes you instead of reacting to you, it's hard to figure out how to deal with people on an emotional level. I guess Rachel learned to fake empathy and did it so well that she knows how to manipulate a contestant or an audience without feeling it herself. It seems though, that the havoc she spreads makes her feel bad.

I think the show is the character you should feel sorry for, not Rachel. Rachel is trapped, however. She has no money, no job prospects and is being sued by the show. Going back to it is the only way she can earn a living and maybe get the suit dropped. She'd probably be better off leaving, but being a bachelorette wrangler seems to be the ones thing she excels at.

• Love 4

I wonder if Rachel's mother has ever looked up Munchhausen syndrome. They should put her picture next to the definition in the dictionary. The reveal there was slow and they slowly pulled back the layers on Olive's crazy. I'm still not completely sold on this show but I will definitely watch the next episode.

• Love 6

I'm curious - at the beginning of the season (I think the pilot) Rachel mentioned that she couldn't travel because she was seeing a therapist. Then they switched her over to the show's therapist. Was she seeing her mother at the beginning of the season or was that a third therapist? I'm leaning towards the latter since it seems they've been estranged for a while and her mother didn't know much about her legal troubles.

• Love 2

One thing....I think Anna was just saying her dad died of a heart attack from smoking pot too much and was in his late 40s to get at Chet. Just the way she said it made me think she was making it up to make Chet see what a loser he is

• Love 1

While the show is incredibly well done, well produced, directed, the actors are crazy good. it's just too DARK for me. I like the show, but I can't "love" it because it's just too dark. Rape? Really? And all she's worried about is being sent HOME? And that MOTHER. Holy GOD....I can't. I just can't.

They went TOO FAR for me. It's just...no

• Love 1
(edited)

Rachel being my least favorite character other than Chet, I have a personal reason to think she's the wrong POV character. I guess because she put herself in this situation so I don't feel like she's trapped at all.

The creator, Sarah Shapiro, who worked on the Bachelor, was trapped; she signed a contract. 

"I was signed on to work on a show called High School Reunion. I just filled out my paperwork and I didn’t really think about it, but it turned out I had signed what kept me an indentured servant for many years. When they actually told me that they wanted me to work on The Bachelor, I said, "No. Oh my God, I'm a feminist. I promise you don’t even want me. It will be a nightmare." And they said, "Check your contract."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/unreal-creator-sarah-gertrude-shapiro-798923

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5

I'm curious - at the beginning of the season (I think the pilot) Rachel mentioned that she couldn't travel because she was seeing a therapist. Then they switched her over to the show's therapist. Was she seeing her mother at the beginning of the season or was that a third therapist? I'm leaning towards the latter since it seems they've been estranged for a while and her mother didn't know much about her legal troubles.

She was never seeing her mother.  Her mother would like to think so as we saw, though!   She was seeing a therapist because she got drunk and totaled Chet's Porche.  To remain on the show she was mandated by the court to go to therapy.  So she could travel the court allowed her to see the show's psychologist. 

This show is without doubt my crack for this summer. I love it. I watch a lot of reality TV (though not the Bachelor/Bachelorette) and I love seeing the devious, soulless manipulation of the production staff, the desperation of the cast, the slowly dawning realization of the "suitor" that he is in way over his head. He was so cocky! It meant nothing, he could handle it, he was sure that he was smarter than a bunch of American TV hacks. I agree with feverfew that both he and Rachel wish they could be better people but haven't really made the decision to actually do the work to make that happen. Well, Rachel had started, working with a therapist, doing community service, paying back the damages, trying to take responsibility and get her life in order. Its so easy to fall back into old grooves. I do like her, even when I'm watching from behind my fingers. She IS good at what she does, and I can understand why she takes pride in that, even as she recognizes that she's doing something despicable. Her manipulation of Anna is masterful, and horrible. 

The show is far, far darker than I expected, and I am totally OK with that.

• Love 9

3 episodes in and the characters/contestants on the fake dating show are still my favorite.  The people behind the scene are so friggin' vile, disgusting, just AWFUL people I find it difficult to care how bad their lives get.  I understand they are meant to be portrayed that way and the actors are doing a great job of portraying that but wow these people are almost inhuman that I find myself zonning out when they are on. 

• Love 2

The people behind the scene are so friggin' vile, disgusting, just AWFUL people I find it difficult to care how bad their lives get. 

Like others upthread, I believe that on some level Rachel and Adam want to be better people. And that struggle interests me. Rachel's mom, Dr. Olive Goldberg, is a character I love to hate. I don't know about Münchhausen by proxy, but she's definitely an unethical, manipulative quack. And it turns out Adam's dad sent Roger to keep Adam from embarrassing the family.

The mentor/protégée relationship between Quinn & Rachel interests me, too. I loved Cynthia's home truths to Quinn: "Look, I've got the house, the cars, the vacations. Chet has you. But if you kill him with all this partying, I get $40 million in life insurance. What do you have?"

I would rather have remained in the dark about marker foods, though.

• Love 4

Why do I feel like Craig Bierko thinks he is in a different show than the rest of the cast? I keep catching him mugging it up and camping it up,, like he thinks this is "Full House" while everyone else is doing "The West Wing." Am I the only one who thinks this?

• Love 11
Wait, Chet Wilton's supposed to be 46?! Craig Bierko's 50, and looks it.

And then some. As soon as Chet starting snorting cocaine, I knew he'd have some sort of heart trouble.

if you kill him with all this partying

I get where Cynthia was going for with this, but I thought it was unfair, because it's not as if Quinn were forcing Chet to drink and snort. Now that Cynthia is pregnant, I wonder why she doesn't divorce Chet. Or is she holding out for the $40 million?

I also wonder if Jeremy's fiancée really had no idea he wanted to be a DP. Is she happy working on a reality show? I'd think as a makeup artist (that's what she is, right?), she could get work elsewhere. Or was her beef more than he'd never shared his dreams with her? They can't have been engaged that long, and with the hours they work, I'm amazed they have time to talk about who's going to do the laundry.

• Love 2

I think Shia spiked Maya's drink to get her to loosen up. Cozying up and flirting with Roger is one thing. But, she was girls gone wild drunk after a couple of drinks. If Roger did rape her then Shia is partly responsible.

Rachael's mom is a piece of work. Looks like her dad is pretty medicated.

Not sure if I can watch much more of this show. I'm rooting for Faith to win. But, to tell everyone to kiss her ass. And run off with someone from the crew.

• Love 3
(edited)

I am enjoying this show immensely!  It is dark and I love that.  I have no criticism.  I just curl up in the lap of my couch and watch this story being "read" to me.  Ahhhhhh, so good.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 10

The timing of the show is terrific, given that the current edition of Bachelorette finishes just before the new UnReal episode comes on.  I'm sorry to say that, though I generally know the outcome of the Bachelorette/Bachelor before the final rose thing, UnReal show way more of the sausage grinder that is the making of the franchise.  I now find myself watching the franchise and noting how Unreal has uncovered some of the backstory.

• Love 1

I think Shia spiked Maya's drink to get her to loosen up. Cozying up and flirting with Roger is one thing. But, she was girls gone wild drunk after a couple of drinks. If Roger did rape her then Shia is partly responsible.

I don't think Shia spiked her drink.  I'm sure they would've hinted at that. Maybe Maya is just a lightweight?

She was never seeing her mother.  Her mother would like to think so as we saw, though!   She was seeing a therapist because she got drunk and totaled Chet's Porche.  To remain on the show she was mandated by the court to go to therapy.  So she could travel the court allowed her to see the show's psychologist. 

She's not seeing the show psychologist to free her up to travel. Quinn set it up so she could spend as many hours on set as possible. Just like how she has the intern doing Rachel's community service.

• Love 4
(edited)
I don't think Shia spiked her drink.

It's one thing to encourage the contestants to drink more than they might, but to spike a drink? It's illegal, and the show could be sued to kingdom come.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 3

I don't think Shia spiked her drink. I'm sure they would've hinted at that. Maybe Maya is just a lightweight?

I don't think Maya is a lightweight. Less than two glasses of wine shouldn't make a sommelier that drunk.

• Love 2

I'm certain Maya had more to drink than two glasses of wine. She had some kind of hard alcohol shot with Shia to kick things off and then there was a gap in time where we don't see what or how much Maya was drinking. It seemed like Maya was already sloshed at the dinner and being in a hot tub can accelerate drunkeness.

I didn't think they did a good job of showing her at the clearly-beyond-meaningful-consent point of intoxication, though. She didn't seem to be slurring, having difficulty forming coherent thoughts, or otherwise unable to walk. She seemed somewhere on the line between tipsy and drunk to me. 

Rachel's mother was a horror show, but it did make me wonder what child Rachel was like. She could have been really evil given her talent for manipulation and shaky hold on internal ethics/morality. 

• Love 3

The shrink was a third party. Rachel mentioned that the therapy was actually helping, so I assume she wasn't meeting with her mother. She also called the show's psychologist a hack. It's a shame Quinn pulled the plug on that.

It's tough to know exactly what Rachel is thinking since she never says it out loud, and even when she does she's probably lying, but my take is that her guilt is only superficial. She's a master manipulator but she only seems to show remorse out of a sense of duty. I think she understands that what she does is wrong but feels more guilty for not reciprocating human emotion. But then again, I could just be reading too much into it.

• Love 4

So what was the point of Shia telling her girl Maya that the way to Adam is to loosen up w/ his best friend?  Isn't the rule here that whichever girl wins, the handler gets a big fat bonus?  Shia can't seem to read a room at all, b/c what guy is going to want the girl who is the drunk party girl who ends up getting naked on camera and being all over his best friend.  Shia should have reigned Maya in at some point but instead she let's her basically get sexually assaulted.  I'm surprised Quinn didn't fire her ass over that just for plain stupidity.

When Adam chose Maya, against his friends written choice of Anna, it made no sense to me at all.  I can't figure out Adam's game here.  Did his friend really choose Anna for the day long date, or did the producers choose her?  Why was Faith nowhere at all in this episode, even in the background w/ the other girls?

• Love 3
(edited)

When Adam chose Maya, against his friends written choice of Anna, it made no sense to me at all.  I can't figure out Adam's game here.  Did his friend really choose Anna for the day long date, or did the producers choose her?  Why was Faith nowhere at all in this episode, even in the background w/ the other girls?

Adam chose Maya as both a "screw you" to Roger and because he felt bad for Maya, who was worried she was going home (and maybe in subtext or subconsciously to please Rachel). I suppose Roger/producers worked together on Anna, but I don't think it really matters.

Edited by portfino
  • Love 6

Never mind about the spiking of Maya's drink.  The sexual assault with a very clear bruised eye when she came out of the pool house was enough to initiate a lawsuit over.

I know these competitors virtually sign their lives away to be on shows like these, but is there really no recourse when assault such as that occurs?

Never mind about the spiking of Maya's drink.  The sexual assault with a very clear bruised eye when she came out of the pool house was enough to initiate a lawsuit over.

I know these competitors virtually sign their lives away to be on shows like these, but is there really no recourse when assault such as that occurs?

Remember this is fiction and staged to shock.  The intention is to tell a dark and twisted story.  I hate horror films but I watched Misery and The Shinning (by accident).  I happen to like this even though my go to movies are romantic comedies.  I do like a good drama, too. The Perfect Murder was one that stands out.  

So what was the point of Shia telling her girl Maya that the way to Adam is to loosen up w/ his best friend?

Roger chose the women who were going to have dinner with them, and I think this was before that, wasn't it? Otherwise, maybe it was so Roger could say, "Hey, Adam, Maya's great. Keep her."

I imagine there's an indemnity clause for the show, but that doesn't mean Maya can't still sue the show. And Roger.

(edited)
Never mind about the spiking of Maya's drink.  The sexual assault with a very clear bruised eye when she came out of the pool house was enough to initiate a lawsuit over.

I don't think Maya had a bruised eye. I think she was crying and her mascara ran and her eye make-up was all messed up; maybe that gave you the impression of a bruise?

It's really twisted how the worse Anna feels the more she's portrayed as a villain. Her father dies; the producers edit her outburst at them to make her look crazy. She's bulimic; the producers exacerbate it and manipulate her into picking a fight with Grace. If Rachel and Adam had kept Britney -- Quinn's first preference for villain of the season -- this likely wouldn't be happening to Anna!

Edited to say: laschifosavita, that is fucked up. No wonder this show is so dark.

Edited by Kirsty
  • Love 4

I'm more inclined to think Maya wasn't raped, but that she was upset that Adam saw that she had sex with Roger while she was drunk. Mostly this episode was about how Shia is the worst producer in the history of Bachelor type shows. Isn't she second in command? Wouldn't she know half the shit she did would be useless? One would assume she's done at least a couple seasons of this show.

• Love 2

The Real World has everyone sign a contract including stipulations that people on the show may be sexually assaulted, and they're one of the few shows that have had publicized sexual assaults occur during filming.  In the first San Diego season, a woman was raped by a cast member's visiting friend.  The producers and cast members that have spoke about it seem to generally agree that she was raped, but the show's lawyers refused to hand over footage and some evidence until police obtained a search warrant.  There weren't any charges filed.  (It would have taken place in the bathroom, which is the one place where there are no cameras.)  In a later season of The Challenge, a cast member alleges that she was sexually assaulted by two other cast members.  She was passed out and did not find out about it until after filming had ended.  She alleges that the producers knew it had happened and had most likely saw it as it was happening.  The case was settled out of court.

• Love 1