Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

My just general curiosity- how many dates does a woman go on with Peter before being introduced to his one true love, his mother, Babs Weber? When he is not bringing them home after line dancing and her making them breakfast.

I found him to be incredibly boring both as and contestant and as the bachelor (and I living a very boring life).

The combination of his blandness and his creepy, thirsty for fame mother can not, without mitigating circumstances seems like, he would be a horrible choice in a life partner.

COVID has been a horrible long struggle (for my, many personal losses). But the fact that it shut down Mama Weber’s 15 minutes of fame does my me smile.

• Love 11
On 5/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, Artsda said:

Rachael should have not given him back time of day, after he dumped her over appearances.

But it wasn’t just appearances. It was Rachael participating in an activity that Matt found offensive and hurtful. And she didn’t understand why he found it offensive and hurtful. 

Of course it’s a moot now that they’re back together. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

He said some ignorant 💩 to defend Matt's choice and rationalize Rachael's behavior... Matt plays pretend that he cares about racist behavior and breaks up with her, which makes Chris look even worse... but Matt and his Confederate Queen are back together (if they ever even really broke up?) frolicking through NYC and the Hamptons.

LOL

Bye!

• Love 2
(edited)

I always had the feeling that Chris Harrison had mixed emotions about this gig. It paid well and he was given a producer credit, but he had to sacrifice self-respect to stick with it as long as he did. In the early days, he probably rationalized it as a harmless show about good looking men and women on a quest to find someone. What it has devolved into is embarrassing. Wannabe influencers building a brand. Fake scenarios. Shit stirrers. Sex and more sex. He's lucky to be done with it. Maybe his perceived racial insensitivity was a blessing in disguise because it gave him an out. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 11
57 minutes ago, Hpmec said:

I always had the feeling that Chris Harrison had mixed emotions about this gig. It paid well and he was given a producer credit, but he had to sacrifice self-respect to stick with it as long as he did. In the early days, he probably rationalized it as a harmless show about good looking men and women on a quest to find someone. What it has devolved into is embarrassing. Wannabe influencers building a brand. Fake scenarios. Shit stirrers. Sex and more sex. He's lucky to be done with it. Maybe his perceived racial insensitivity was a blessing in disguise because it gave him an out. 

It was a great, consistent gig. Harrison would have been doing it for another 10 years if he had the choice. Hence, the payout.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 6/8/2021 at 10:41 AM, jonaswan2 said:

It was a great, consistent gig. Harrison would have been doing it for another 10 years if he had the choice. Hence, the payout.

Oh, it paid the bills for sure and he'll be living off the payout for a long time to come. It has been a lucrative gig. But, I remember him from his pre Bachelor days when he was on some sort of home improvement show (Designer's Challenge)  and still see him on Millionnaire reruns. There will be life for him after The Bachelor, and I suspect he may not miss it all that much once the dust settles and he moves on. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Hpmec said:

thats actually a really good point. actually i think you are 100% correct.

7 hours ago, funnygirl said:

He said some ignorant 💩 to defend Matt's choice and rationalize Rachael's behavior... Matt plays pretend that he cares about racist behavior and breaks up with her, which makes Chris look even worse... but Matt and his Confederate Queen are back together (if they ever even really broke up?) frolicking through NYC and the Hamptons.

LOL

Bye!

confederate queen? lol. I had no idea they were back together. 

On 5/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, Artsda said:

Rachael should have not given him back time of day, after he dumped her over appearances.

agreed. and that beard is gross:(

(edited)
13 hours ago, Hpmec said:

Agree with your assessment, but we can't blame Chris for what the show became. And even though his role became smaller & smaller, I will miss him as the host of the after shows, as well as BIP and all his comments/guidance along the way.

I fear now it will just become a freak show with all the wanna be actors/actresses looking to prolong any 15 minutes that might be bestowed upon them. It's actually been that way for quite a few seasons now, so yeah, it's probably for the best that Chris moves on.

I also ageism played a role, and ABC (like any other network) might have been looking to replace Chris after his current contract. So when Chris said the wrong thing, they found their hook and held on. I believe no amount of apologies, heartfelt or otherwise, was going to change the network's mind. It's the out they needed to move forward and possibly change the direction the franchise is headed toward

So long, Chris...I will miss you on BIP, and will no longer watch the shit show(s) the Bachelor and Bachelorette have become.

P.S. For those who are interested, Chris did the voice overs/host duties for HGTV's "House Hunters" long before Suzanne Whang, who was also retired from the show before she passed away a few years ago.

Edited by MsTree
correct tense/addition
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, MsTree said:

...and was retired from the show before that. Thanks for the update.

You used the present tense in your original post so it sounded like you didn't know she'd passed away.

1 minute ago, chocolatine said:

You used the present tense in your original post so it sounded like you didn't know she'd passed away.

Thanks, I will correct that now.

$50 million is a lot to pay someone to not host The Bachelor. I would not host for half that.

But then, I don't know where the bodies are buried. A $50 million NDA is big enough to hush a whole lot.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, phlebas said:

$50 million is a lot to pay someone to not host The Bachelor. I would not host for half that.

But then, I don't know where the bodies are buried. A $50 million NDA is big enough to hush a whole lot.

I would host for a fraction of $50 mil. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I heard this morning that CH was getting $5 mil per episode, so $25 mil payout is just 5 week's pay. (I've heard he got either 50 or 25 million depending on who is reporting.) It staggers my mind, that amount of money. But then, I have to buy off the Dollar Menu when I eat out, just so I can cover the $5 my meal might cost.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I heard this morning that CH was getting $5 mil per episode, so $25 mil payout is just 5 week's pay. (I've heard he got either 50 or 25 million depending on who is reporting.) It staggers my mind, that amount of money. But then, I have to buy off the Dollar Menu when I eat out, just so I can cover the $5 my meal might cost.

That doesn't sound right, even the actors from the highest rated TV shows like Friends and BBT "only" got $1M per episode. Are you sure it's not $5M per year/season? Many years ago - I think around 2009 or 2010 - I read that he makes $800k/year, but that was before BIP and before social media.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Are you sure it's not $5M per year/season?

No, not sure! I heard it this morning on the radio, they were doing a quick discussion of his "severance pay." So I googled and found his pay per episode was $600,000 according to The Sun. It also says CH made more than $8 million from The Bach franchise, and he has a net worth of approx. $16 million. Thanks for correcting me ... I don't have a reality grasp on money when it goes that high!

Note: Different sites gave a different amount that CH made. But to me, that much money is a lot, whatever the real amount!

I wish CH would do a "tell all the dirt" book, but too bad he now has a DNA. I'd buy that book!

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Everyone has DNA. CH also has an NDA. 🤣

I even looked it up and still got it wrong. I'm such a moron. Thanks for keeping track of me, it's not an easy job!

• LOL 7

According to my people magazine Arie and Lauren had their twins.  I braved their Instagram sites, and I just can’t.  All of the constant glamorous posing just makes me ill.  It is all so fake, but whatever.  She looks very different in some of the pics.  I don’t know if she had some work done?  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

It's part of the fun of watching the franchise. For those participants  who are just train wrecks. People who say "how can you watch that show; it's such garbage?" 

Well that is the point!

For real. What percentage watch the show because they think watching the lead kissing 20-30 people, bonking three, then possibly selecting their favorite is a beautiful love story? We watch because it's ridiculous.

• Love 7
On 6/18/2021 at 9:44 PM, alexa said:

According to my people magazine Arie and Lauren had their twins.  I braved their Instagram sites, and I just can’t.  All of the constant glamorous posing just makes me ill.  It is all so fake, but whatever.  She looks very different in some of the pics.  I don’t know if she had some work done?  

They named them Lux and Senna 

Senna is a laxative and Lux reminds me of lox 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Ayrton Senna is one of the best and most famous Formula 1 drivers. I’m guessing Arie named that one. Lux? Might be a lame abbreviation for luxury or luxurious or some dumb thing. 

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, Stan39 said:

Ayrton Senna is one of the best and most famous Formula 1 drivers. I’m guessing Arie named that one. Lux? Might be a lame abbreviation for luxury or luxurious or some dumb thing. 

Lux means light in Latin, though I doubt that either Arie or Lauren know that.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Lux means light in Latin, though I doubt that either Arie or Lauren know that.

They do. I've watched their video about the names. After the darkness of Lauren's miscarriage, they thought the name was very fitting.

• Useful 6
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, deSchenke said:

They do. I've watched their video about the names. After the darkness of Lauren's miscarriage, they thought the name was very fitting.

I'm sure their creativity will be appreciated in 18 years when Lux legally changes his name to Steven.

• LOL 12
29 minutes ago, phlebas said:

I'm sure their creativity will be appreciated in 18 years when Lux legally changes his name to Steven.

LOL

Lauren and Arie had a previous video about all the names that they decided not to go with. They had some really good names and I thought I'd be blown away by the ones they chose.

Nope. Didn't happen. I can't imagine the teasing Lux will get in school. And I looked up Senna and it's a plant that is used for a laxative. They might have well named her Diarrhea. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

So, Chris Harrison has been cancelled and is out of a job due to his not well thought out attempt to defend Rachel while Matt, who could not even look at her due to his anger with her previous life decisions, is now vacationing and spending time with her while getting mainstream and social media coverage. 

Things that make one go "hmmmmmmmm."

• Love 8
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

So, Chris Harrison has been cancelled and is out of a job due to his not well thought out attempt to defend Rachel while Matt, who could not even look at her due to his anger with her previous life decisions, is now vacationing and spending time with her while getting mainstream and social media coverage. 

Things that make one go "hmmmmmmmm."

One of the differences between how Rachael and Chris handled the original issue was that she immediately apologized and stated that ignorance was no defence.   She stated she had to do and be better and committed to learning.  

Chris would have been fine if he had framed it that while she was young and did something stupid but now that she knew it was wrong she had to learn and be better.  Instead he chose to defend behaviour that the person in question didn’t defend.  He brought it on himself.  

• Love 9

I think Matt was pretending to be angry because he knew it would look bad if he decided to stay with her at that time.  He knew all along that he wanted to be with her but thought it best to let some time pass before they got together.  They probably discussed the time frame.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I’m still bummed Chris is out. Matt extended Rachael grace but Chris doesn’t get the same courtesy and has gone down in cancel culture history. I hate the current giggly girl host format. 
I know it’s been explained by various people here but I don’t see things the same way. 

• Love 14
(edited)

The Ben Higgins story surprised me. Admittedly it's not like I paid that much attention to or cared much about Ben, or most of these Bachelor Nation people. However, the last thing I remember reading about him was his engagement to what looked like a normal, beautiful woman.

So reading the recent headlines about his emotional breakdown was surprising. Hopefully, things get better for him. I always liked Ben. A bit bland and he could be a bit self righteous post his season but in general, he always seemed like a nice guy. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6