Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

Ok, apparently I was wrong about the timing. Apparently an entire year ago, March 2020, Colton came out with a memoir in which he talked about questioning his sexuality in high school. This actually is the same time that he broke up with Cassie, so that could have been the reason why. Though it seems odd that somehow even though he wrote a book about it, no one picked up on it, and he needed to fully come out a year later? I mean, this is 2021, so I can see why “no one cares” in that just be yourself, dude, and no one is going to judge you on it. Granted, the world had bigger things to worry about in March 2020, but no one read his book with their newfound quarantine time?

https://apple.news/Aw5K9xtb1SLadWhjWarXE2Q

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

The stalking was terrible, and he really needs to get some help as to why he acted like that.

That being said, it's not easy for people to come out, even in 2021. Even on Reality Steve's Twitter feed, ugly things were being posted. Hopefully Colton has people around him to support him and help him accept himself, and he can find peace and a healthy relationship in the future. Hopefully his family supports him as well. I didn't watch the actual interview to see if that was mentioned.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

Ok, apparently I was wrong about the timing. Apparently an entire year ago, March 2020, Colton came out with a memoir in which he talked about questioning his sexuality in high school. This actually is the same time that he broke up with Cassie, so that could have been the reason why. Though it seems odd that somehow even though he wrote a book about it, no one picked up on it, and he needed to fully come out a year later? I mean, this is 2021, so I can see why “no one cares” in that just be yourself, dude, and no one is going to judge you on it. Granted, the world had bigger things to worry about in March 2020, but no one read his book with their newfound quarantine time?

https://apple.news/Aw5K9xtb1SLadWhjWarXE2Q

Because in the memoir, he says that other people questioning his sexuality made him question himself a bit in his youth, but he did some internet research and figured out that he was attracted to women. 

A Netflix show, really? He still stalked his ex less than a year ago.

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

He should be made to pay back his Bachelor salary from his new show earnings and book profits.  I don't buy that he truly didn't know.  He knew.  

If you are questioning your sexuality in any way, you don't make innocent people (Cassie) pay for your "Oops!  My bad! I guess I really AM gay after all."  

Idiot. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

I said during his season that Colton picked Cassie because she was unavailable because he was gay, but the stalking stuff threw me for a loop.

I am surprised he didn’t come out as bisexual . He admits in the interview that he was in love with Cassie . It was clear to everyone that he was in love with her . And he said he loved everything about her .. so it’s a confusing situation but I guess only he would know how he feels . I knew he was gay when his excuse for not having sex was that he didn’t have time because of football . Football players have been known to find time to have sex here or there . 
I am curious if he and Cassie ever did have sex . I say yes because in the interview he said something like , “ at the time I was fully a virgin .” I also wonder how much she knew or suspected , as being in a relationship with someone , things are bound to come out and people can see the real you shine through from time to time . 

it’s also very weird that he was so ashamed to come out at all and within a day he came out and now is having a Netflix series about him being gay ? I’m not saying he’s lying about his sexuality . But a piece of the puzzle feels like it’s missing . 

Edited by Jax7917
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

People reallllllly do not seem happy in the replies of this tweet, mostly because A) Colton is a stalker and B) LGBQT representation could be more than two goodlooking muscular white guys that everyone in the comments says looks like the same person 😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

The stalking was terrible, and he really needs to get some help as to why he acted like that.

That being said, it's not easy for people to come out, even in 2021. Even on Reality Steve's Twitter feed, ugly things were being posted. Hopefully Colton has people around him to support him and help him accept himself, and he can find peace and a healthy relationship in the future. Hopefully his family supports him as well. I didn't watch the actual interview to see if that was mentioned.

No one knows that he didn't get help for that. I hope he did.

I honestly wish him all the best. I wish anyone who has struggled with their sexuality finds acceptance and happiness. I'm sure growing up Christian and an athlete -- and didn't he have a weight problem at one time too? -- that all made things difficult for him. I'm not going to bag on him for going on Bachelor shows 3X when he had questioned his sexuality in the past -- people have done a lot of things when going on the journey of accepting who they are. People have gotten married and had families. I'm just sad that it is so scary to come out. I wish we were at a place where who you are is who you are and it isn't a big deal. 

Is this all manipulative with the memoir, Netflix series, etc? Who knows, but if it helps someone else, I'm ok with that too.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I'm happy for him that he's finally found the courage to come out, but nothing excuses the stalking and he needs to take full responsibility for that. I haven't seen the interview yet - did Robin mention the stalking at all?

I had no idea that people still hid who they are in 2021.   Almost 30 years old and pretending he’s straight?  And bragging you never had sex with a woman? That is sad.   

• Love 2
5 hours ago, leighdear said:

He should be made to pay back his Bachelor salary from his new show earnings and book profits.  I don't buy that he truly didn't know.  He knew.  

If you are questioning your sexuality in any way, you don't make innocent people (Cassie) pay for your "Oops!  My bad! I guess I really AM gay after all."  

Idiot. 

TPTB got what they wanted out of Colton's season, maximum drama. How many weeks did they milk that fence jump in the promos? They haven't cared about the lead and their Final Rose actually getting married in a very long time. Judging by the vetting process through the years, TPTB don't even care that much about the lead's safety.

Even the first season had a good on paper lead who should have had no trouble finding love in the real world, but he just had to go on TV to find a wife. I assume all of them are there for the opportunities or an adventure, and ending up with a good, lasting relationship is a bonus.

Besides, I do think Colton was still hoping he could "fix" his sexuality through the show at that point. Extreme wishful thinking, but so is believing that anyone would actually buy "too busy with football" as an excuse for being a virgin. Not that he owed anyone an explanation, but if was going to offer one, he could have had a better excuse than that... It seems obvious that Colton seeks validation from the limelight, but he's hardly the only person from the show who's like that.

It was really unfair to Cassie, for Colton to latch onto her so intensely in his desperation to be straight. Still, many gay men have dated women before coming to terms with their sexuality and most of them ddon't become stalkers. People can turn obsessive when relationships end, regardless of sexuality. Given some of the personalities in this franchise through the years, it's mildly surprising that abusive relationships haven't been a bigger issue. It's cone up with a few couples, but the fanbase doesn't want to dwell on that too much. 

Now, if Colton had been an actual nice person who treated his final pick respectfully, but realized it wasn't going to work, so they split three months after the finale and they went their separate ways without any drama...they would just be another Bachelor couple that fizzled out. A lot of them do, for all sorts of reasons. The most recent two Bachelors seem to be total players in real life, not remotely ready for marriage. Either guy might marry a woman someday, but probably many years from now, making their seasons total wastes of time, if that's the standard. 

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 13

It's possible that yes, he was a virgin and that Cassie was his first.  

And that the experience of sleeping with someone for the first time made him realize that.....oh....sex is great, but with a woman?  Notsomuch.

Which is what made the lightbulb go on for him.

It's unfortunate that he went through 2 seasons, not knowing that, but there it is.  At least now he gets to live his life openly, and in a way that'll make him happy.

He's a cute guy.  He'll make up for lost time, I have no doubt there will be thousands of cute guys lining up.  Bet $100 he's already had 1000 offers.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Love 4

Remember when they first broke up and Cassie seemed almost terrified to discuss it with Chris Harrison over zoom? And she made comments after their breakup that it wasn’t her story to tell or something? It makes me wonder if she knew - either found something or he admitted it to her, and then he was absolutely terrified that she was going to out him and ensued with his creepy stalking and threatening behavior. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

I am surprised he didn’t come out as bisexual . He admits in the interview that he was in love with Cassie . It was clear to everyone that he was in love with her . And he said he loved everything about her .. so it’s a confusing situation but I guess only he would know how he feels . I knew he was gay when his excuse for not having sex was that he didn’t have time because of football . Football players have been known to find time to have sex here or there . 
I am curious if he and Cassie ever did have sex . I say yes because in the interview he said something like , “ at the time I was fully a virgin .” I also wonder how much she knew or suspected , as being in a relationship with someone , things are bound to come out and people can see the real you shine through from time to time . 

it’s also very weird that he was so ashamed to come out at all and within a day he came out and now is having a Netflix series about him being gay ? I’m not saying he’s lying about his sexuality . But a piece of the puzzle feels like it’s missing . 

My expectation is that all of the stalking and threats happened due to his own gay panic, whether she actually knew or not.

And my other expectation is that his management, ABC, Fleiss and Co, etc. would have dropped him immediately after Cassie's restraining order was granted were it not for his story. This coming out tour and the subsequent Netflix series is probably a result of a lot of behind the scenes deals that have happened over a long period of time.

I'm guessing everyone professionally close to Colton has known for over a year.

• Useful 5
  • Love 10

I've been a big critic of Colton (in my mind, I haven't posted much about him and didn't watch his season) and how the press hasn't asked him about his stalking of Cassie.

And he may be a fame whore.

But I do believe he's gay. That part of the story strikes me as authentic.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

The more I think about it , I think he loved the image of him and Cassie more than he loved her . Cassie is beautiful , she has a beautiful looking family , she played hard to get from the beginning and was never all that into him . In high school pictures , he was not cute , heavy , and awkward looking . It probably felt nice to be the guy that got the hot girl , his image now looked perfect from the outside and I guess he confused those proud feelings with love . 

Unrelated but on bachelor in paradise , Tayshia? Mentioned what a bad kisser he was . I guess now we know he just wasn’t into any of the people he was kissing . 

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Bluesky said:

I had no idea that people still hid who they are in 2021.   Almost 30 years old and pretending he’s straight?  And bragging you never had sex with a woman? That is sad.   

What's sad is that there are so many unaccepting and even hostile people in this country that it's still difficult to come out in many instances. 

• Love 9
On 4/14/2021 at 8:07 PM, Bluesky said:

Lance Bass was on the Almost Famous podcast this week and said he knows a lot of actors and musicians who are afraid to come out for fear of ruining their careers. 

• Love 1
On 4/14/2021 at 8:07 PM, Bluesky said:

I think is was more than pretending to be straight.   I think he desperately wanted to be straight due to his religious upbringing and did whatever he thought would make him that way.  

• Love 11
On 4/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, Bobcatkitten said:

His story comes off less authentic to me with this whole series etc. Everything is planned and for maximum $$$.

Totally agree with this. I saw the Colton interview and the whole time his mouth was saying one thing, his eyes were saying another: "I'm a big fat liar and I'm fooling all you guys with my BS."

IMO this whole national press event was for max exposure for his upcoming "reality" series. It had to be in the works and planning stages for a few years, so he has to "come out" in a big flashy way to get people talking and wanting to watch.

I personally don't care who Colton wants or doesn't want to have sex with. It affect me not in the least. I do wish he would just go away, but that doesn't seem likely. We're going to be seeing a lot more of Colton and his lying eyes I'm afraid.

• Love 9
On 4/15/2021 at 6:52 PM, EllenB said:

What's sad is that there are so many unaccepting and even hostile people in this country that it's still difficult to come out in many instances. 

Yep. I know many homophobic people to this day. They'll say being gay is immoral, a choice, feel generous when they say they'll tolerate it "but don't have to like it." Seriously? In 2021 folks? We can do better. 

I am straight, but it's pretty obvious to me no one chooses to be something that can cause so much pain. Why do people think it's a choice? Furthermore, even if it were, who cares?! Unless someone is your partner, you shouldn't be so invested in who other people are sleeping with. As long as they're consenting adults, not your business, not your concern. 

• Love 16
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I am straight, but it's pretty obvious to me no one chooses to be something that can cause so much pain. Why do people think it's a choice? Furthermore, even if it were, who cares?! 

Exactly.  Anytime somebody makes the "It's a choice" claim to me, (usually a man) I always ask them just when THEY decided "Ya know, I can go either way, but I guess I'll go with girls".  If it's always a choice, they should know exactly when they made it.  

They usually get irritated & either change the subject or whine "That's not the same!"  Idiots. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, leighdear said:

Exactly.  Anytime somebody makes the "It's a choice" claim to me, (usually a man) I always ask them just when THEY decided "Ya know, I can go either way, but I guess I'll go with girls".  If it's always a choice, they should know exactly when they made it.  

They usually get irritated & either change the subject or whine "That's not the same!"  Idiots. 

It's like they admit to bisexuality (which I also have no issue with), but "choose" to be with a partner of the opposite sex. 

I do think everyone is aesthetically attracted to both sexes, but that's different. 

• Love 2
On 4/18/2021 at 6:17 PM, saber5055 said:

I personally don't care who Colton wants or doesn't want to have sex with. It affect me not in the least.

As long as he doesn't want to have sex with me he can do what he likes. Sadly, though, it seems as though he can't unless it's being televised. 

I am mildly curious how big an audience Netflix thinks he has because even in Bachelor Nation I'm not sure he's that big a thing, is he? I mean, his real claim to fame is that there were tons of speculation that he was gay back when he was wooing Cassie and then he turned out to be a stalking nutcase so, who really wants to see more of him?

3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I do think everyone is aesthetically attracted to both sexes, but that's different. 

Yep. I love looking at beautiful women, but I do not in any way even sort of kind of want to have sex with them. I like a very specific sexual appendage that women don't have. (I am trying to say that in a far less crude way than I say it in my head lol)

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Yep. I love looking at beautiful women, but I do not in any way even sort of kind of want to have sex with them. I like a very specific sexual appendage that women don't have. (I am trying to say that in a far less crude way than I say it in my head lol)

Same girl same. lol I think women are sort of like these beautiful Barbie dolls. We have all these tricks, so I definitely admire other woman's beauty, hair, makeup, outfits, etc. But being in awe of someone's face or coveting her figure is not sexual attraction. Most women are comfortable admitting this. Men sometimes are uncomfortable saying another man is handsome or has a nice body. I'm sure most, if not all of the discomfort is due to homophobia. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

As long as he doesn't want to have sex with me he can do what he likes. Sadly, though, it seems as though he can't unless it's being televised. 

Sentence 1: Amen to that.

Sentence 2: That hasn’t happened yet.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

From eonline but reported in a few spots:

Why Blake Horstmann Says The Bachelor Franchise Will End for Good After Michelle Young's Season

Tldr

“So, why does Blake think that will be the last bow for The Bachelor franchise? "Whether you think it's right, wrong, whatever your stance on the Chris Harrison thing, I think it drove away a lot of loyal fans and viewers," he explained. "And I think ratings are gonna plummet, and that's my prediction.”

Wishful thinking for Blake— less competition for the ladies at Stagecoach, amiright? 😉

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Refresh said:

From eonline but reported in a few spots:

Why Blake Horstmann Says The Bachelor Franchise Will End for Good After Michelle Young's Season

Tldr

“So, why does Blake think that will be the last bow for The Bachelor franchise? "Whether you think it's right, wrong, whatever your stance on the Chris Harrison thing, I think it drove away a lot of loyal fans and viewers," he explained. "And I think ratings are gonna plummet, and that's my prediction.”

Wishful thinking for Blake— less competition for the ladies at Stagecoach, amiright? 😉

And then there’s Nick Viall’s opposite viewpoint.

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/nick-viall-bachelor-franchise-isnt-going-anywhere/

• Love 2
On 4/18/2021 at 3:20 PM, leighdear said:

Sorry, but you do NOT reward stalking, emotional abuse and lying repeatedly by giving somebody a lucrative TV show deal.  

You just DON'T. 

He can come out and get support, and be whoever he wants, but he should NOT get paid to sensationalize what he did.  His public "apologies" are fine, but they should be the last we see of him. 

He's not a singer, actor or athlete anymore.  He has no celebrity cred, except as a multiple-failed relationship partner.  He can go find his own friends and his own life purpose, but I object to him being rewarded just for being as fucked up as millions of other people are. 

I'm angered over this too. Colton stalked and harassed Cassie and her family in a deeply disturbing way. He doesn't get to just wave that off and say, "Oops, I didn't know I was gay at the time!" I imagine she is still traumatized from the experience. Colton should no way be put on a pedestal and allowed to profit from his past actions. I am thoroughly disgusted. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

I'm angered over this too. Colton stalked and harassed Cassie and her family in a deeply disturbing way. He doesn't get to just wave that off and say, "Oops, I didn't know I was gay at the time!" I imagine she is still traumatized from the experience. Colton should no way be put on a pedestal and allowed to profit from his past actions. I am thoroughly disgusted. 

Not sure why anyone cares about this loser creature. He's been on sixty five shows, has jumped fences, etc and still isn't interesting. Hooray for coming out, but please just go away. 

• Love 13
10 hours ago, gingerandcloves said:

Thinking about it, (and this doesn’t justify his behaviour in any way), I think Colton has been convinced since the beginning that Cassie was the one who could “make him straight”, hence the desperate fence jumping and criminal stalking.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, adore said:

Not sure why anyone cares about this loser creature. He's been on sixty five shows, has jumped fences, etc and still isn't interesting. Hooray for coming out, but please just go away. 

It’s not that I care about Colton personally, but it’s disappointing at best, triggering at worst, to see someone rewarded after stalking and emotional abuse. It’s difficult to explain, but to some who have been on the receiving end of those disturbing behaviors, seeing a public figure basically get a free pass and have all of that swept under the rug is difficult. It can make one question their own experience and choice about whether to come forward when they see an end result like this. 

I realize there are many (many) celebrities who have also had very few repercussions after abuse claims, but since this is The Bachelor thread and this is about Colton, I’m only talking about him here. 

Edited by Lsk02
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, Lsk02 said:

It’s not that I care about Colton personally, but it’s disappointing at best, triggering at worst, to see someone rewarded after stalking and emotional abuse. It’s difficult to explain, but to some who have been on the receiving end of those disturbing behaviors, seeing a public figure basically get a free pass and have all of that swept under the rug is difficult. It can make one question their own experience and choice about whether to come forward when they see an end result like this. 

I realize there are many (many) celebrities who have also had very few repercussions after abuse claims, but since this is The Bachelor thread and this is about Colton, I’m only talking about him here. 

Yes, exactly. I had a former boyfriend (very short relationship) turn stalker. He constantly harassed me and followed me for YEARS. I had to move, get a P.O. Box, an unlisted number, change my driving routes, alert my friends and family to not give out any info on me. It was impossible to avoid him completely because we had a lot of mutual friends and attended the same church. All I could do was avoid him as much as possible and never give him an iota of attention. It was a truly awful experience, and I still believe it was less than what Cassie had to deal with. At least my stalker wasn't putting a tracking device on my car or setting up sock puppet accounts to send nasty messages. I'd be so pissed if anyone wanted to make a role model out of such a very mentally-unbalanced and sociopathic person.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, gingerandcloves said:

Yes, exactly. I had a former boyfriend (very short relationship) turn stalker. He constantly harassed me and followed me for YEARS. I had to move, get a P.O. Box, an unlisted number, change my driving routes, alert my friends and family to not give out any info on me. It was impossible to avoid him completely because we had a lot of mutual friends and attended the same church. All I could do was avoid him as much as possible and never give him an iota of attention. It was a truly awful experience, and I still believe it was less than what Cassie had to deal with. At least my stalker wasn't putting a tracking device on my car or setting up sock puppet accounts to send nasty messages. I'd be so pissed if anyone wanted to make a role model out of such a very mentally-unbalanced and sociopathic person.

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that, that so many men feel entitled to stalk women, and that our legal system lets it happen with barely any repercussions for the stalker. That Colton not only got away with this behavior but is now being rewarded for it is a slap in the face for millions of women who are or have been stalking victims.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I don’t think this show is anything more than a vanity project that he’s doing under the guise of “helping other people”. Hopefully a vanity project with very low viewership. 

I don't think Netflix even cares about "helping other people," since they still stream movies starring Shia LaBeouf and Armie Hammer. They did fire Kevin Spacey from House of Cards, but only after 30 or so people came forward with assault allegations. I think it's time I cancel my membership.

• Love 3
(edited)

Remember that time Baby Bekah was on a missing person’s list right after filming the Bachelor and it turned out she was really working on a weed farm? Well, she revealed more details on what the heck happened. 

“Bachelor Star Bekah Martinez Finally Reveals Crazy True Story Behind Time She Was Reported Missing
The story involves a bear, a weed farm, a purported hostage situation, and ‘meth heads with knives.’"

Read in TooFab: https://apple.news/AeKsZXxL7R-Gxyh2WgiJdfA

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Remember that time Baby Bekah was on a missing person’s list right after filming the Bachelor and it turned out she was really working on a weed farm? Well, she revealed more details on what the heck happened. 

“Bachelor Star Bekah Martinez Finally Reveals Crazy True Story Behind Time She Was Reported Missing
The story involves a bear, a weed farm, a purported hostage situation, and ‘meth heads with knives.’"

Read in TooFab: https://apple.news/AeKsZXxL7R-Gxyh2WgiJdfA

See, this is what I want from this franchise: stupid scandals. I don't need racism or life-altering accusations.  I want bachelorettes too stoned to call their moms when the season is over.

Keep your Matt James and your Rachael Kirkconnell.  Give me two scoops of Whaboom with a sloth girl chaser.

Edited by phlebas
  • LOL 10
  • Love 7