Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

This one straddles the fence between 'in the media' and the most recent episode thread but...

Many in the episode 3 thread commented on the curious chronology and other aspects of the Sarah Saga.  There was puzzlement about her career (?) in broadcast journalism, noting that at age 24 she might have been a reporter for 1 or 2 years max before returning home to help her ALS-stricken father.  There was also puzzlement over choosing to abandon those important duties to fly back across the country to participate in the Bachelor for potentially a long stretch of days.  Finally, there was some cynical-but-experienced conjecture that she is simply attempting to parlay national screen time into another TV gig.

Predictably, the 'emotionally devastated' (on the home and Bachelor fronts) Sarah is popping up on TV chat shows to discuss her departure and sounds rather chirpy.  Some of it may be the usual PR rounds for notable Bachelorettes but one suspects that it may also be a combination of image rehab and audition tape.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

We keep hearing variations on this as a reason why Bachelor/ette couples break up or don't really get started. Last I heard Tayshia and Zac are having problems because she's not sure about moving to New York.    I think Dale probably just got sick of Clare, but I really believed in Tayshia and Zac.

Why do they go on a show to "find love" from people who live all across America if moving is out of the question? Just stay home and join some clubs.

Well said. 

For example, as far as I know, Rachel Lindsay and Bryan Abasolo are still married and together, but I don't think he's left Miami. I know his family is there so he might not want to move to LA, but when he auditioned for the Bachelorette, he was never open to moving to Dallas or LA or wherever Rachel might be living? He's a friggin chiropractor. He can practice anywhere--just has to get a state license. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, topanga said:
23 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Is that easy enough...everywhere?

It really is, especially if you've already practiced in another state. 

I asked only because I was involved with another profession's licensing "requirements," where there's a lot of politics.  A LOT!  "Want to practice in another big city with lots of amenities? Not so fast, young man!  Interested in a little podunk town with one traffic light and a diner?  I think you'll pass with flying colors."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 1/19/2021 at 5:50 PM, Arkay said:

So Dale broke up wth Clare.  They're "on a break" while they "figure things out." Surprise, surprise. Allegedly because he wants to pursue a life and career in NYC, and she is rooted in Sacramento. I only feel 2% bad for her because she's in Sacramento to take care of her mother, but it never would have worked. She rushed impulsively as always, and he doesn't want "BABIES!!" yet.   

Wow, not sure how I missed this story.  Well, I guess we knew it was coming.... Clare should have too.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, alexa said:

Wow, not sure how I missed this story.  Well, I guess we knew it was coming.... Clare should have too.  

Im a sap, I feel badly for her. but not surprised either 😞

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

Im a sap, I feel badly for her. but not surprised either 😞

I just didn't like how she handled the whole thing on the show, etc, so I am less sad for her, but I understand what you mean 🙂

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/amp35320081/victoria-larson-backlash-gma-interview/

I didn’t watch gma either but it’s online and to answer your question @saber5055, yes still a jackass. 

From the article:

She said she actually anticipated being “well received” by fans and was surprised by the negative reception, saying she doesn’t think her “kindness really got to show through” on the show.

I really needed a laugh today, so thank you, @dizzyd!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Does she not realize that they could have gone out on a date out there in the real world? Matt’s obviously not interested. Now this woman is going to get torn apart by the “Varsity Team”—if any of them are left after all of the uproar.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Does she not realize that they could have gone out on a date out there in the real world? Matt’s obviously not interested. Now this woman is going to get torn apart by the “Varsity Team”—if any of them are left after all of the uproar.

And miss being on tv? What would be the fun of that? 🙄😂

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Ah - Maybe that was the reason for calling out all the "OG's VS.  the Newbies"  stuff.  They planned to bring in a lone "new girl"  and wanted to make sure the bullying and ganging-up was quashed first.  

• Useful 4
24 minutes ago, EllenB said:

Oh, Chris, you big clueless dummy. 2018 was only THREE YEARS ago, not some forgotten time long past.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/11/entertainment/bachelor-chris-harrison-controversy/index.html

Right.  To try and pass it off as some sort of societal blindness vs. an individual blindness is ridiculous.

And to be as fair as I can be to Rachel, I think she's at an age where she could make the argument that she's growing, learning and confronting beliefs held by the community her parents provided for her.  Some do grow in college.  For others, it takes going out into a different world---like the world of the bachelor---to start to process.

Would I necessarily believe it?  Nah but I do think she's at age where she can share some of the blame with her community.

But Chris Harrison?    He's an established grown up man who has been out on his own for decades.  That's not to say he can't grow.  He can.  But he can't pretend society's views on plantations have changed in the past three years.  Not when college campuses were banning these "old south" parties long before then and the wedding of Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds stirred up controversy for being held at a plantation in 2012.

If he is just learning now that old south parties aren't a good look, it is better late than never but he can only blame his not knowing about that on himself instead of "societal norms."

• Love 10
On 1/20/2021 at 8:32 PM, SallyAlbright said:

Tayshia and Zac are still in NY together. Seem pretty happy, though social media is the only thing to go by. 

For once I’m a right reasoner. I really like Tayshia and hope it works for her. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Bluesky said:

I can’t believe they let him go.  20 years gone over a bad interview.  Wow.

They didn’t let him go.  They let him go on hiatus so that he might be able to dodge questions about pretending that 2018 was a few centuries ago.  It’s to protect him I think.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

They didn’t let him go.  They let him go on hiatus so that he might be able to dodge questions about pretending that 2018 was a few centuries ago.  It’s to protect him I think.

Do you think there’s any coming back from that after hiding out like this?

3 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I'm not for this cancel culture, and I'm sure Chris will be back. I also get that Rachael is young, and no one is perfect. I actually really liked her and was disappointed by the disturbing stuff I heard. Chris also disappointed me in that interview. I thought he was a lot savvier and nicer. 

I can picture his next interview.

"Listen woke police, who the hell are you? Give me some grace. That interview is from last week. Was it a good look that week, or is it not a good look this week? How about the week before that week? You tell me. Actually no, I'll tell you. Sheesh, this is as confusing as discussing Rachael with Rachel. That's probably why I wasn't on my A game then. Wish I could just call them vanilla and chocolate. That's not racist because my friend Rachel is black. Racists never have friends or date outside of their own color. That's why I'm pretending 2018 was 1818. Rachael doesn't have to apologize if she is down with a black bachelor. No way she could have ever been part of something racist or offensive! No pun intended, but racism is always black and white. There are no shades in the middle, and racists don't make exceptions for exceptional people of color, especially not on TV. Either way, I'm no longer the same person I was February 9. Show this poor little elite rich guy some grace." 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

Twenty years of media training out of the window, just because he saw Confederate cosplay and social media likes being attacked and couldn't simply say, "We should hear from Rachael, but the franchise doesn't condone her behavior." Now he's on timeout from his gig and has likely caused a big problem for his girlfriend at her job. Lauren Zima continuing to be Entertainment Tonight's top correspondent for the franchise and hosting a weekly recap show despite dating the host has always been a conflict of interest, but no one really took The Bachelor seriously enough to care. I wonder if "Roses and Rosé" is also going on hiatus, or if we'll be grabbing our glasses for a Very Special Episode this Tuesday... 

The Bachelor Data Instagram account has a lot of interesting info/stats about airtime and social media growth of the contestants. It's mostly focused on this season, but also does historical comparisons on things like how far a person has gone if they get the First Impression Rose or the "Pretty Woman" shopping spree date.

Edited by Dejana
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I think it's one thing to actually do or say something racist and another thing to try to understand and forgive the person who did it.  We forgive people for worse things  than racism ( and yes there are worse things) and that forgiveness and attempt to understand is usually considered a good thing, even if we're talking about something like murder.  When we demand that everyone else jump on our dogpile we're asking for the sort of mob outrage that used to be directed at unwed mothers or homosexuals.    

• Love 13
4 hours ago, EllenB said:

The phrase "cancel culture" sounds suspiciously like people thinking racists shouldn't be held accountable.

Yup, because no one is ever cancelled. 

Ever try to find a movie or a show that doesn't involve someone who sexually assaulted someone? Or one that didn't star a misogynist, racist, homophobic, uber conservative? The most popular youtubers are people who have released one, two, ten 'apology' videos and cried about being cancelled. Chris is a straight white man. He isn't cancelled. He isn't going to show up for one episode, then in a few months time when Bachelorette comes around, all will be forgotten because fans of this show are crying foul for him being held accountable for his own words. 

• Love 11

Chris said the wrong things for sure. He is a grown man and he should have known better. He will be fine after taking a short break. I side-eye the Bachelor Nation contestants who came out of the woodwork (those who never cared about racial justice before or at least never expressed it) to suddenly speak out against him, joining the bandwagon, when they were kissing his ass all along. Chris Harrison has never changed who he is. He tells bold-faced lies for the show and never cared about anything beyond making a TV show and getting his paycheck. He is not a man with high integrity. So they can't be /that/ surprised or "disappointed". Spare me.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 19

Did you guys see the comments alongside Harrison's post?  99% said he did nothing wrong.  Smh

The hook on Harrison's nose grows in direct proportion to the evil he does.  Creating hurtful "dates," amping up "drama," and then forgiving a contestant's error with the most egregious language.

I sort of do not blame Rachael for going to that party, but would blame her if she helped plan it.   I don't know any of the details.  Did the girls think just that they were dressing up in old fashioned ball gowns and drinking mint juleps?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, waving feather said:

Chris said the wrong things for sure. He is a grown man and he should have known better. He will be fine after taking a short break. I side-eye the Bachelor Nation contestants who came out of the woodwork (those who never cared about racial justice before or at least never expressed it) to suddenly speak out against him, joining the bandwagon, when they were kissing his ass all along. Chris Harrison has never changed who he is. He tells bold-faced lies for the show and never cared about anything beyond making a TV show and getting his paycheck. He is not a man with high integrity. So they can't be /that/ surprised or "disappointed". Spare me.

A lot of those past contestants are only issuing statements because they're getting called out by fellow alumni who do regularly post about social issues, and also the segment of the fanbase that demands activism from Bachelor Nation influencers. I don't mind knowing where people stand on issues, but I don't see the value of bullying bystanders into empty words on issues they couldn't care less about in actuality, and that don't directly involve them. 

Here's another Chris interview from 2015, where he's promoting a romance novel he "wrote" and gets asked about the franchise's track record with racial diversity, and well... There's too much to quote it all here, but he said Juan Pablo being a Venezuelan who "didn't really speak English all that great" was "as diverse as you could possibly get". While the show does aim to improve with diversity...

But at the same time, we're also — we have a job to do. Because we have hundreds and thousands of people trying to work. So what justice are we doing anybody by taking a great social stand, and then five months later, going, "OK, that was great, nobody watched the show."

The franchise did this to themselves. If they'd just been more open-minded all along and had their first minority Bachelor in the aughts, or anytime before 2017, really, you wouldn't have had fans looking up the lead's voter registration and coming at TPTB with a 10-point diversity initiative that must be addressed, or else, or saying this guy isn't the representation we wanted.

Meanwhile, a big segment of the viewers couldn't care less about any of these issues and resent people who try to "politicize" the show. The Netflix dating shows are examples of how they can be diverse in a variety of ways (race, sexuality, different abilities, etc) while still being fluffy reality at their heart, but TPTB here have been on top a long time and gotten pretty entrenched in their ways. I don't think either side is ultimately going to get everything they want out of the show.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 8
26 minutes ago, Dejana said:

A lot of those past contestants are only issuing statements because they're getting called out by fellow alumni who do regularly post about social issues, and also the segment of the fanbase that demands activism from Bachelor Nation influencers. I don't mind knowing where people stand on issues, but I don't see the value of bullying bystanders into empty words on issues they couldn't care less about in actuality, and that don't directly involve them. 

Here's another Chris interview from 2015, where he's promoting a romance novel he "wrote" and gets asked about the franchise's track record with racial diversity, and well... There's too much to quote it all here, but he said Juan Pablo being a Venezuelan who "didn't really speak English all that great" was "as diverse as you could possibly get". While the show does aim to improve with diversity...

The franchise did this to themselves. If they'd just been more open-minded all along and had their first minority Bachelor in the aughts, or anytime before 2017, really, you wouldn't have had fans looking up the lead's voter registration and coming at TPTB with a 10-point diversity initiative that must be addressed, or else, or saying this guy isn't the representation we wanted.

Meanwhile, a big segment of the viewers couldn't care less about any of these issues and resent people who try to "politicize" the show. The Netflix dating shows are examples of how they can be diverse in a variety of ways (race, sexuality, different abilities, etc) while still being fluffy reality at their heart, but TPTB here have been on top a long time and gotten pretty entrenched in their ways. I don't think either side is ultimately going to get everything they want out of the show.

Our kids have been watching the Bachelor shows since they were about 10 year old.  They are now adults They loved the rose ceremonies & the trips to foreign countries. They don't care about the contestants political views. It's a fun show to watch.

I do wonder if ABC will cancel the show ? It's very profitable for the network .

• Love 7

I am surprised that Chris did not go into that podcast interview with Bachelorette Rachel with only one mission--to denounce racism in any form. I listened to the interview and he insisted that Matt's Rachel should speak for herself on her own actions, apparently she hadn't issued any statement at that point in time. He obviously had formulated a party line answer about Matt's Rachel ahead of time and his goal was to protect the show, which is still airing. But then Chris really veered into the defensive about the plantation parties and I think that was the unprepared Chris Harrison. In addition to his defense of the plantation parties, he also seemed to have forgotten that Bachelorette Rachel, whom he was speaking with, had most certainly also been the victim of racial bias at some point in her life and she was NOT the person to try and convince that plantation parties were all okay five years ago. (He did say five years ago.) He wasn't at all empathetic on the podcast. I get why Bachelorette Rachel was hurt by his response; she must have felt invisible to him as he rambled on defending plantation parties.  So he messed up lots of ways. 

But how is this news? Chris is an executive producer and the franchise never picked a black man to lead the show, and yet, as soon as the BLM movement erupted over the summer, they couldn't pick one fast enough? We got lame Colton, Arie, etc., instead of other very viable, popular black men that should have gotten the lead if this show cared, but they didn't. It took riots across America to get the franchise to finally decide to put a black man in the lead. 

5 hours ago, Dejana said:

9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I think it's one thing to actually do or say something racist and another thing to try to understand and forgive the person who did it.  We forgive people for worse things  than racism ( and yes there are worse things) and that forgiveness and attempt to understand is usually considered a good thing, even if we're talking about something like murder.  When we demand that everyone else jump on our dogpile we're asking for the sort of mob outrage that used to be directed at unwed mothers or homosexuals.    

I visited the Bachelor reddit forum and whoa. There is supporting and standing up for what is right and then there is intimidation. Sean Lowe, who is a pretty upstanding Christian posted that he was on vacation away from the internet and his DMs were filled with people calling him a racist because he hadn't condemned Chris Harrison. This casting of stones by the mob is ugly and the reasonable ask that we understand and forgive the person for their racism is shouted out. Hmmm. Anyway, Chris is stepping back from the ATFR special, but he's a producer and he'll be back once the noise settles.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

Is there no one on The Bachelor staff tasked with vetting potential contestants on Social Media? Seems that Rachel's posts and likes would have sent up some red flags. That said, Chris Harrison's initial reaction trying to pretend like 2018 was a long time ago was just stupid. Should have said it would be up to Rachel to explain herself and he couldn't speak for her. His damage control was just damage. Honestly thought he was smarter than that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
41 minutes ago, Hpmec said:

Is there no one on The Bachelor staff tasked with vetting potential contestants on Social Media? Seems that Rachel's posts and likes would have sent up some red flags. That said, Chris Harrison's initial reaction trying to pretend like 2018 was a long time ago was just stupid. Should have said it would be up to Rachel to explain herself and he couldn't speak for her. His damage control was just damage. Honestly thought he was smarter than that. 

Is it possible that the Bachelor staff cast Rachael knowing that her social media posts would be controversial ?

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, oakville said:

Is it possible that the Bachelor staff cast Rachael knowing that her social media posts would be controversial ?

I'm convinced that that's exactly why she was cast. This is the third time they've cast someone with a well-documented history of racist social media activity (Lee on Rachel L.'s season and Garrett on Becca's season are the other two). If the first time had been an oversight and TPTB regretted it, they would have made sure it didn't happen again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
On 2/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, call me ishmael said:

Yeah.  I could be wrong but he will go through an elaborate “soul searching process” and be redeemed.

Right.  He's going to step away from After The Finale Rose.  They'll probably cast a white bachelorette and  bachelor for the next two cycles and they don't have to worry about Chris having these pesky conversations about race.   They know he's not capable of doing it in even the most blandly neutral way.

6 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

I am surprised that Chris did not go into that podcast interview with Bachelorette Rachel with only one mission--to denounce racism in any form. I listened to the interview and he insisted that Matt's Rachel should speak for herself on her own actions, apparently she hadn't issued any statement at that point in time. He obviously had formulated a party line answer about Matt's Rachel ahead of time and his goal was to protect the show, which is still airing. But then Chris really veered into the defensive about the plantation parties and I think that was the unprepared Chris Harrison.

THIS.  This is what really stood out for me. This franchise is so controlled that, if it hadn't been for social media, there's no way this information would have come out in the early days.  If a publication had stumbled across it, I doubt they would have published it as the outlets who cover The Bachelor get more mileage out of recaps, getting exclusive interviews, photo shoots and selling the dream.  It was people on social media bringing it up that made it hard to ignore since it was what people were talking about.

I heard some people who are in the Bachelor industry/hype machine were asked not to talk about it.  Chris Harrison's blunder blew that all up because no one could pretend it didn't happen.

I don't know if his statement did Rachael a disservice or a favor.  His blunder signal boosted her past and yet, it seems to have robbed the controversial spotlight from her. 

The mistake Chris made was not pleading for people to let Rachael speak/explain for herself.  The mistake he made was not making sure he understood the issues before he addressed it and then, when Rachel L tried to explain why this was so bad, he basically brushed her off and continued on with his defense.

1 hour ago, Hpmec said:

Yes but I don't know how deep they go.  In Rachael's case, I think it was her likes and maybe pictures that were posted elsewhere that ended up exposing her more than her actual posts.  So if all the vetters did was look on her pages for posts, they might not have noticed anything they considered terrible.

Anyway, I don't think people should be hounded if they didn't make a statement but making a statement denouncing racism isn't making a political point.  It's clearing a very low bar of decency. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

I finally saw the interview.  I think what surprised me most was how uncaring he sounded.  He came across as really kind of rough.  I agree with some of what he said, and even Rachel admitted that the "lens" in 2018 was a little different than 2020, however he didn't help himself much by coming across the way he did.  He usually is more careful with what he says, how he says it, on even the most boring of conflicts--so why on a big topic like this would he not realize this is the time to sound concerned?  

• Love 8
On 2/14/2021 at 7:48 AM, JudyObscure said:

I would tend to agree with this, but the other really egregious shit that Chris pulled in the interview was constantly talking over Rachel. He made the short-sighted assumption that they were coming to the interview as equals. That is not the case. He should have made a few simple statements (not excuses) and said, look, we haven't spoken to her, let's wait to hear from her, we do not condone racist behavior, and then shut up. 

Rachel has the personal experience and a much more educated lens on this. Hers should have been the loudest voice. Chris is a smart  guy and the face of the franchise. He should have known better than to talk over Rachel and interrupt her - that is a bad look. 

All that said, anyone looking to Harrison and The Bachelor as an example of race relations and education... are misguided. This is reality TV, and for all the vetting that supposedly goes on, there are CONSTANTLY instances like this. I think this is done on purpose for media attention, and it's dumb of the show, because they're eventually going to lose casual fans or put everyone out of a job. You know what might have a real impact? Someone finding this stuff in the casting process and sending an e-mail telling the potential cast member that they won't be invited to participate because of their problematic social media activity. That's when a person has time to do some reflection and soul searching. Mid-show they're just listening to crisis managers and trying to contain damage. 

Accountability, I'm all for. But this thinking that "social media activism" and constant condemnation posting are necessary to prove something is (1) deeply flawed and (2) contributes to none of the real, concrete change that people are looking for. 

Author Glennon Doyle makes many fine points on this subject in her writing - you can show up without leading and you shouldn't be saying anything. Give the mic to someone who can lead. Be quiet. Listen. --> This is where Harrison failed. What annoys me is that someone like Sean Lowe is dragged for silence, when I'd bet a lot of money he'd also be dragged if he spoke up in some way. 

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 18

It was the racism AND mansplaining for me. At one point he said "Who the hell are you?" to Rachel. Although it was in a rhetorical sense ie. who are you to say "he should, or she should do this..." but I thought it was racist and sexist. He would not speak to a white man the same way. I am glad he is being held accountable. I have often been uncomfortable with the way black women and other BIPOC are portrayed on the show.

• Love 22