Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

Boring!  Andi's season was bad enough.  I can't deal with an entire season of Mr. No-Lips-No-Personality.  This will be the first season I don't watch in a long time!  Hopefully their choice for the next Bachelorette is more interesting.

• Love 1

I, for one, hope that the dating website Farmersonly.com figures out that this is the best marketing tool they could ever have.  The commercials would double their base, seriously.

• Love 2

I can't think of any season where RS seemed to hate both of the F2 as much as he hates both Arie and Jef. It almost borders on obsession with him when it comes to those two actually. 

Probably because Jef and Arie actually treat RS like the joke that he really is.  RS takes himself WAY too seriously (that said from someone who only knows about RS from PTV and TWOP mentions).  Oh well, would have loved to have had a snarky season with Arie.  Hopefully Chris will surprise everyone.

Edited by Palomar
  • Love 2

So, "The Bachelor: Down on the Farm" it is (I assume).  For the unenlightened (read: previously unspoiled) Reality Steve has been saying for weeks it was definitely Chris, so not a huge surprise here.

I'm just glad I can stop monitoring posts to make sure people who were spoiled didn't accidentally spill the news.

• Love 1

I think Chris has got a level of maturity and sincerity that Arie could NEVER convey. I think those traits are going to convince most of the ladies that Chris is not a player.  He's genuine. He wants to find a soul mate and the mother of his children. He's in it For the Right Reasons

Rhondinella,  Please know that we really do appreciate all your hard work on these forums. And since filming is supposed to start next month, you only have a short break til the mayhem breaks out again!  

Edited by leighdear

I think Chris has got a level of maturity and sincerity that Arie could NEVER convey. I think those traits are going to convince most of the ladies that Chris is not a player.  He's genuine. He wants to find a soul mate and the mother of his children. He's in it For the Right Reasons.   

Maybe I'm a cynic, but the fact that Chris agreed to be the Bachelor makes me think he's in it for the fame. I don't know why but I got a vibe that he really isn't into farming. Maybe it's because he's taking yet more time away from the farm. (Between the Bachelorette and the Bachelor he will have missed the busiest part of a farming season which is planting the crops and harvesting them) Also there is still a lot to do Sep-Nov on a farm. (I grew up on a farm so I know) :)

• Love 3

Gross! Chris seems so smarmy and calculating to me. Plus anyone who is a staunch Rick Perry supporter gets a *sideeye* from my part.

The crazies we could've gotten with Arie... *sigh*

That's why it's unfortunate we never get to know anything about how these people see the world (politics, religion, etc). For some people that's not important and for others I know they'd be happy with Chris' views. For me, finding out on Day One that he supported Rick Perry would have me begging to go home ASAP (he'd probably happily oblige, too.)

I'm sure, as usual, they'll edit out anything that would be polarizing. It'll be interesting if Chris turns out to be more like Sean or more like Bob G. as far as how he interacts with the women when suddenly finding himself "the most amazing and desirable man on the planet" (as every TB becomes within 10 minutes of the first meeting).

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

Maybe I'm a cynic, but the fact that Chris agreed to be the Bachelor makes me think he's in it for the fame

My fault for not using the correct terminology and quotes where I should have.  I actually meant perceived sincerity and maturity.  And the other descriptives were tongue-in-cheek.  I absolutely think he wants the fun & attention, and maybe a wife at some point.

I honestly think Chris can SELL those qualities to the ladies and the audience better than Arie. 

And Chris is a farmer the way Bill Gates is a computer guy or Donald Trump is a hotel guy.  Chris doesn't personally plant anything (unless he wants to play on a tractor), slop hogs or milk cows.  He has a company that invests in huge farms, commodities and farm futures.  He's more finance and deals than hay & hoedowns.  He's in the business of farms, and he's got a LOT of money.  While he grew up with the hands-on farming, he's way beyond that as an adult.  He hires people to get their hands dirty so he doesn't have to.

But I really like him & will be very interested in his season.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

I definitely think he was angling for the job from very early on with all those grand romantic gestures, and I highly doubt he's as sweet IRL as he wanted to come across. He came across really poorly to me during that attack on Nick with his incoherent accusations and smug smirking. Seems alcohol may bring out his true colours. I actually wonder if Nick was hitting a bit too close to home with his speculations about the next Bachelor and that's why Chris got so annoyed with him.

• Love 2
Rhondinella,  Please know that we really do appreciate all your hard work on these forums. And since filming is supposed to start next month, you only have a short break til the mayhem breaks out again!

Thanks for the props, leighdear!  I appreciate it, especially after the day I'm having.  Oy!

You Bach/ette/Paradise group have been very easy to work with and I appreciate that!

Continue with your Chris snarking.

My fault for not using the correct terminology and quotes where I should have.  I actually meant perceived sincerity and maturity.  And the other descriptives were tongue-in-cheek.  I absolutely think he wants the fun & attention, and maybe a wife at some point.

I honestly think Chris can SELL those qualities to the ladies and the audience better than Arie. 

And Chris is a farmer the way Bill Gates is a computer guy or Donald Trump is a hotel guy.  Chris doesn't personally plant anything (unless he wants to play on a tractor), slop hogs or milk cows.  He has a company that invests in huge farms, commodities and farm futures.  He's more finance and deals than hay & hoedowns.  He's in the business of farms, and he's got a LOT of money.  While he grew up with the hands-on farming, he's way beyond that as an adult.  He hires people to get their hands dirty so he doesn't have to.

Yep, I never bought that Andi (or any woman) would HAVE to move to his small town in Iowa/Idaho (can't be bothered to look it up).  I'm sure that will be the angle the show takes, but if Chris really wanted to be married? I think he would be.  No way I believe he's actually looking for a wife. He might find one, but it's not why he's doing the show. I'm sure 98% of the women cast aren't looking for a husband. Any sense of authenticity with this franchise is long gone for me, so I have no issue with someone playing a role for the gig.  I think you can be a decent person AND a famewhore.  Of course, he may turn out to be an asshole, but not for just doing the show.  If I was TV attractive, wanted to be on TV, and could get cast, I'd probably take the free trips and adoring (if fake) adoration of relatively attractive members of the opposite sex for a few weeks.  And to top it off, get paid for it? Chris doesn't need the money, but I'd take it.  I certainly wouldn't be looking for a life partner from this clusterfuck, but hey, why not have some fun with it?  

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

I did not get that your post was tongue-in-cheek. My bad.  I agree with you that Chris is in the business of farms. Chris is not really a farmer as I know the term. He probably drives around in a nice new pick-up and makes sure all the help is doing what they are suppose to be doing.  I personally wouldn't call him a farmer, but more of a business guy. But that's me.

If I was TV attractive, wanted to be on TV, and could get cast, I'd probably take the free trips and adoring (if fake) adoration of relatively attractive members of the opposite sex for a few weeks.  And to top it off, get paid for it? Chris doesn't need the money, but I'd take it.  I certainly wouldn't be looking for a life partner from this clusterfuck, but hey, why not have some fun with it?  

You're braver then me. There's no way I'd ever go on tv!

Marquel is now bitching in the media about not being chosen as the Bachelor.  He's posting about it on his Twitter page.  What a loser this guy turned out to be.  I loved him in the Bachelorette, but started disliking him on BiP.  Here's a heads up for you, Mr. Sore Loser - you weren't passed over for the Bachelor because you're black.  It's because you're boring as hell, make for bad TV, are uncomfortable to watch while on dates, and dress really badly.  You can blame colour if you want, but that's not the reason.  The Bachelor is about making out with as many women as possible, and maybe finding some love along the way.  It's not about how many female friends you can make, while not touching one of them or even, god forbid, kissing one of them.

• Love 5

Gross! Chris seems so smarmy and calculating to me. Plus anyone who is a staunch Rick Perry supporter gets a *sideeye* from my part.

Oy, I hadn't read that but then again, I have little to zero interest in Chris and wasn't planning on watching his season anyway so have read very little about him but this? Complete, total, absolute turn-off and I'll be staying as far away from it as I can. Ugh.

You Bach/ette/Paradise group have been very easy to work with and I appreciate that!

Continue with your Chris snarking.

I appreciate this group too (I was a long-time TWoP lurker) because of the very humorous snarking and the respect everyone seems to have for each other's views, no matter how different. It hasn't degenerated into the ridiculously unbearable immature crapfest some other forums have...so thanks to all for making this a fun place to hang. :) Although, I am here waaay too much, so maybe it's not all good...haha

Back on topic...I wasn't a fan of Chris but I'm sure I'll tune in. I don't see the thoroughly nice guy as many do, and I'm curious as to how his edit will play him. Also, I guess Farming Executive Chris doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as Farmer Chris, and I hope they ditch calling him that anyway. It's not like we'll confuse him with Chris Harrison.

• Love 2

Marquel is now bitching in the media about not being chosen as the Bachelor.  He's posting about it on his Twitter page.  What a loser this guy turned out to be.  I loved him in the Bachelorette, but started disliking him on BiP.  Here's a heads up for you, Mr. Sore Loser - you weren't passed over for the Bachelor because you're black.  It's because you're boring as hell, make for bad TV, are uncomfortable to watch while on dates, and dress really badly.  You can blame colour if you want, but that's not the reason.  The Bachelor is about making out with as many women as possible, and maybe finding some love along the way.  It's not about how many female friends you can make, while not touching one of them or even, god forbid, kissing one of them.

I've not read his twitter comments, though I found his blog post. None of the bolded has precluded white men from being selected, so I'm not sure these are compelling reasons that Marquel wasn't chosen.  That said, I wasn't the fan of Marquel that many were.  I saw a video from last month that indicated to me he wasn't exactly looking to be the Bachelor.  He seemed hesitant and pensive about it, so I'm not sure why he's changed his position on it.  Now I don't think he's wrong about race being a factor, but there are other things that muddy the waters and make it easier to dismiss the racial angle.  Not being F3 (or F4), doing Bachelor in Paradise, lack of sexual/romantic assertion on screen (though that could have been editing). 

He was the first black man to get as far as he did on the show (I think), and the controversy around the allegedly bigoted comments from Andrew raised his profile. But if he knew anything about this franchise, he had to have known that doing Bachelor in Paradise would have definitely put him out of the running for the Bachelor. Not to mention, there's a reason that Chris was chosen over Nick or Marcus. It remains to be seen how he'll turn out, but the man played the game perfectly.  Marquel should have gone in with a better strategy than buppie fashion sense and a nice smile. 

I just can't feel sorry for anyone who doesn't understand that this franchise is all about carefully crafted image, especially for the men. And with the trainwreck that Juan Pablo was, TPTB certainly won't be more open-minded towards "diversity" now. So I don't think showing up, being popular, and being a nice black guy is enough.  That's only compelling if most of the white men on the season, particularly the final 3 or 4, show themselves to be assholes.  Marquel, your youth and naïveté are showing, get better people.

• Love 2
None of the bolded has precluded white men from being selected,

Yes, just ask Ben. I guess the horrible dresser part is questionable but I could not think of a more unattractive Bachelor and he was still picked. Oh let me correct that, he and Bob may have been tied for the unattractive factor. Then there was that mess with Prince Lorenzo and let's not forget Juan Pablo who barely said two words during Des' season considering he left mid-season and never had a one on one.

That being said, all the while many were jumping on Marquel for the next Bachelor barely before two weeks had gone by on Andi's season, I remember warning about learning from Juan Pablo's season. The jumping too quick on wanting someone to be the next Bachelor without really getting of sense of who they are so I actually don't care that much about Marquel not being picked. But I do think there is a very legitimate argument and discussion to be had, about the show's reluctance to ever cast a minority lead. 

Not to mention, there's a reason that Chris was chosen over Nick or Marcus.

Yes there was and of course he was the loudest in declaring Nick only being there for "strategy". And let's not forget Marcus who also accused Nick of only wanting to be on television, running down to BIP in his orange skivvies and hooking up with Booby Mcgee. You gotta love the hypocrisy. 

• Love 2

I have to disagree.  I adore Marquel but I really think ABC wouldn't have cast him even if he WAS super interesting, smart, and there for the proverbial "right reasons".  ABC has race issues.  If not Marquel then find another well educated, handsome, sincere black man/woman.  They are everywhere you look!

Race is the LAST thing this franchise should be looking into.  What they need is a well educated successful person who is ready to find a spouse.  Race should NEVER be a part of the discussion.

Show of hands:  WHO CARES WHAT RACE THE NEXT BACH OR BITCHETTE ACTUALLY IS?  

Edited by Shugardrawers
  • Love 1

IMO one of the bigger nos for Marquel is that he doesn't seen willing to play the Bachelor game. We all know what happens if you don't toe the party line. His lack of playing along on BIP is a pretty good example. I doubt the majority of the folks (save maybe Marcus) expected to find true love in the 3 weeks that BIP took to film but they played along & talked about soul mates & tried to make connections that were supposedly heartfelt. Marquel seemed lukewarm while in paradise. He was mildly interested in a couple of women but didn't seem to work on developing the relationships. He didn't play the game & try to create the necessary storyline. I think that his slow moving on Andi's season is another example. TPTB don't want a slow & thought out love. They want dramatic & at first sight, hopefully with several participants. Personally I found him slightly intriguing on Andi's season but boring on BIP.

• Love 2

He didn't play the game & try to create the necessary storyline. I think that his slow moving on Andi's season is another example. TPTB don't want a slow & thought out love. They want dramatic & at first sight, hopefully with several participants. Personally I found him slightly intriguing on Andi's season but boring on BIP.

This is true, but what would be more interesting IMO is a REAL love story...similar to Trista & Ryan. I'm getting a bit tired of all the over-the-top drama like "I love him so much I can't breathe" (sound of ambulance in the background). This franchise is getting more ridiculous with every season.

This franchise is getting more ridiculous with every season.

I agree with that completely! However I think TPTB like it that way. Reality TV is no longer new & fresh & they have to keep upping the ante to stay competitive. I also think that it would be hard to find people who are truly in it for the actual right reasons because reality TV has become the fame whore's vehicle of choice to grab their 15 minutes.
  • Love 1

This is true, but what would be more interesting IMO is a REAL love story...similar to Trista & Ryan. I'm getting a bit tired of all the over-the-top drama like "I love him so much I can't breathe" (sound of ambulance in the background). This franchise is getting more ridiculous with every season.

It is, and I think the days of legitimate relationships blossoming on the show are long gone. It's interesting that more lasting relationships are created outside of the show.

That being said, all the while many were jumping on Marquel for the next Bachelor barely before two weeks had gone by on Andi's season, I remember warning about learning from Juan Pablo's season. The jumping too quick on wanting someone to be the next Bachelor without really getting of sense of who they are so I actually don't care that much about Marquel not being picked. But I do think there is a very legitimate argument and discussion to be had, about the show's reluctance to ever cast a minority lead. 

I objectively understand the argument about casting a minority lead, especially since it's a popular, mainstream show on a network.  I can objectively see it as the vehicle to show that non-white people have and want romantic lives as well.  But I have to admit, since I see nothing genuine about the show, I've never cared about a minority lead.

IMO one of the bigger nos for Marquel is that he doesn't seen willing to play the Bachelor game. We all know what happens if you don't toe the party line. His lack of playing along on BIP is a pretty good example.

I doubt any behavior on Bachelor in Paradise was a dealbreaker.  Marquel strikes me as one who was rather careful about he carried himself.  I suspect he thought if he was classy enough, he'd have a shot. 

Thinking on it further, I actually think the Andrew controversy, while raising his profile, was a distraction and somewhat reduced him to his race (which, ironically, he was so upset about based on his THs in that episode).  Introducing any real world conflicts detracts from the branding of love and romance this show sells. And I can see this show not wanting to deal with any hard questions about race, particularly related to black/white.  I don't recall if there were any discussions on race with Andy/Tessa or Sean/Catherine, but I also think those of Asian descent are assumed to readily integrate and don't have any racial/ethnic hurdles to cross.  

I'm all for a good love story, but it's hard to have a "real" one when the premise of the show is to string multiple people along until the expected hype of an engagement at the end. It's crappy, really, to have the leads mask their true feelings for anyone until the end, leaving a wake of hurt people who thought they were the one. And yet I can't fully quit watching and talking about this mess! gah

• Love 1

I agree with all those that said 'true love' is no longer the goal (or outcome) of this show. The part that irritates me is exactly WHEN did this happen? (when the bachelor who's name I forgot decided he wasn't going to pick anyone, but enjoyed screwing everyone??) Or was always this way and Trista/Ryan were just a fluke?

I agree with all those that said 'true love' is no longer the goal (or outcome) of this show. The part that irritates me is exactly WHEN did this happen?

Well, the Bachelor prior to the Juan Pablo debacle was Sean Lowe, who was 100 percent sincere about finding a wife, and did.  Brad Womack 2.0 did find true love--except it was with Chantal and he made the mistake of a lifetime in choosing Emily over her.  And if you can get past the post-finale fallout, Jason Mesnick also met his wife on the show.  If he'd picked her to begin with, he and Molly would be an asterisk-free success story.

These were all in the past five years.  Only Ben and JPG were unabashed players.  (Jake, not fully a human being with genuine emotions, is impossible to categorize.)  Looking at them chronologically, every other Bachelor--those in odd-numbered years, beginning 2009--is open to finding a wife.  As a Right Reasons watcher (I'm not ashamed to admit it), I hope Chris keeps the pattern going.

• Love 5

Brad Womack 2.0 did find true love--except it was with Chantal and he made the mistake of a lifetime in choosing Emily over her.

I'd still like to know how that all went down because it was one of the biggest WTFs of this franchise.  Even at the ATFR ceremony, Brad and Chantal had chemistry and he looked genuinely happy to see her. 

• Love 2

Gosh the male leads arent doing too well when it comes to finding love and marriage (post show). 

Alex - single, Aaron and Andrew are married.  Bob - divorced, Jesse - single. Byron - married.  Charlie- single.  Travis - married.The Prince  - single.  Andy Baldwin - single. Brad - single.  Matt Grant - who knows. Jason - married. Jake - single. Ben, Sean, JuanPa - dating or married.  5 married? That's it.

OMG, I love everything about this Bachelor float in the Rose Parade:

Not only will the float be blanketed in 25,000 velvety red roses (duh), the official ABC announcement declares that it will also be bedecked in several other "quintessential Bachelor symbols" including champagne flutes, the Bachelor mansion façade, and — oh my god, you guys — a hot tub. (I checked, and yes, there will actually be people in the Bachelor float hot tub. When asked if those people would be making out vigorously, the network had no comment.) And in honor of the new Bachelor, Iowa farmer Chris Soules, the float will incorporate corn husks from his actual farm into the design. God. Bless. America.

I mean, c'mon!  That's some seriously hilarious stuff.  A REAL hottub?!?

• Love 3

I have always loved Michelle. Really, even when she was hated in her sea on.  Totally not into Cody until they connected. They are my most favorite couple that has emerged from this franchise.  

• Love 1

Wow, that sounds about as trashtastic as we could hope for!!!  I'll bet they could stash Marcus & Lacey and Michelle & Cody in there with no effort!  That would be awesome to see!

Are they all still together! Wow!! I'd love to see an update on them.

They can put the married couples (Trista/Ryan, Jason/Molly, Sean/Catherine and Ashley/JP) on the rail waving, while the engaged & dating couples can lounge in the hot tub. 

Sorry Juan Pablo & Nikki, you're no bueno anymore!  ;)

• Love 1

What a wonderful article and so very well written. Everything they talk about regarding suicide being thought of as somehow shameful is so true when in reality it's caused by a disease, often silent, but torturous and painful all the same. Ryan sounds like a fine young man and it's wonderful that he's using this terrible experience to try and help others. I hope his happy memories of beautiful beautiful Gia will help him through life.

• Love 2

It comes across that Ryan had no idea that Gia had mental health issues at all, which is really unfortunate.  She had PMDD and multiple rounds of eating disorders? Poor Gia clearly needed mental health care.  She was an adult and it was her responsibility at that point, but it is tragic that this happened. Good for Ryan for helping to publicize this - there is so much stigma around mental health care, when the reality is that it is health care, and many people need it and won't thrive if they don't access it. 

Poor Gia clearly needed mental health care.  She was an adult and it was her responsibility at that point

I like your post but I strongly disagree with this statement. When your brain chemicals and neurons and whatnot are going kerflooey, you very often don't have the capability to recognize what's going on or to get treatment for it. We don't blame cancer patients for their cells getting all out whack or diabetics for their glucose levels silently killing them and we certainly shouldn't blame mentally ill people for often not understanding what's going on in their brains. Plus there's that damned stigma that you mentioned.

• Love 6

I like your post but I strongly disagree with this statement. When your brain chemicals and neurons and whatnot are going kerflooey, you very often don't have the capability to recognize what's going on or to get treatment for it. 

You're right... I think I was bending over backward to not blame the people around her for not ensuring she got care and went too far. But at least with Ryan, he seemed unaware that she had a history of serious mental health challenges.  The situation with her mother is a bit trickier, as she seemed to know about her diagnoses, but not may not have been aware of how serious things were for Gia.

That said, yes, the stigma is tough, but if you're trying to build your life with someone as she was, I do think you owe them some honesty about your conditions so that they know to help you when you can't make those decisions for yourself. Its heartbreaking that the big picture resulted in Gia losing her life. Depression is a disease that needs treatment, and I just wish she had found a way to get treatment, however that came about.  

• Love 2

I keep seeing the new commercial about The Bachelor where you see Chris in the cornfield.  I keep expecting to hear "He's outstanding in his field."  But that joke will probably show up some time during the show.

I'll just leave these here:

"Bachelor Creator Mike Fleiss Arrested for Harassing David Charvet and Brooke Burke"

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/bachelor-creator-mike-fleiss-arrested-for-harassing-david-charvet-and-brooke-burke-report-46443

and

"Bachelor Creator Arrested for Disturbing Baywatch Star's Peace"

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/20/bachelor-creator-arrested-mike-fleiss-baywatch-david-charvet

Have fun, everyone!

• Love 2