Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

Thanks, Shibori. Every house still has water pipes, a furnace, and lots of people still attend church every Sunday, plus the church is a great social-gathering place with spaghetti dinners, bingo nights ... all sorts of fun events. (!)  I'm guessing there are more business run out of houses that don't pay rent on a commercial building, like construction, garage repair, mowing, lawn care, house cleaning, painting, child care ... the list goes on.

Like I said, a place is as good as what you make it.

• Love 2

Arlington Community Center received $23,000 in funding from an event featuring Soules yet they're still complaining how the town was portrayed?

What exactly about multiple plumbers was supposed to appeal to these girls 3/4 being from metropolises on the west coast? A library, a bank, a medical clinic, and a couple plumbing shops doesn't really change how it was portrayed. There's still no restaurants, movie theater or anything really for them to do unless they really like the library which I really doubt.

I even question the signal they'd get on cells/GPS in the farm area. 

The 4 in the running for Bachelorette according to E! are Kaitlyn, Becca, Jade, and Britt.

http://ca.eonline.com/news/627075/andi-dorman-definitely-not-returning-as-the-bachelorette-find-out-who-the-four-frontrunners-are

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Arlington Community Center received $23,000 in funding from an event featuring Soules yet they're still complaining how the town was portrayed?

The $23,000 was from the "Other Bachelors of Arlington" calendar they made and sold to fund a community center, plus other events they held on their own. The link is further back on this thread. (The dairy-calf guy is cute IMO.) Arlington got no $$ from ABC. Des Moines had to cough up $70,000 for ABC to film there, like SantE Fe paid $50,000. Sounds like every city pays TB to go to their location.

What exactly about multiple plumbers was supposed to appeal to these girls 3/4 being from metropolises on the west coast?

To each, his or her own. The west coast isn't "all that" for everyone.

And I did not/have not seen any of the 30 b-ettes remove themselves from becoming Chris's wife. All knew he was Prince Farming from the Obscure Outer Limits of Iowa. If they didn't know it before they got into that limo, they all knew it after they arrived at the mansion that first night. All I've seen is each one crying inconsolably after he sends them home.

So there's that, too. Like I've said, a place is what you make it. Every b-ette signed up for Chris. And the *cough* Right Reason.

Edited by saber5055

As for the value of multiple plumbers, if some "girl" doesn't know that, she's not ready for marriage, a house of her own, kids. I sure knew the value of "multiple plumbers" when my well split a connector and flooded my basement. Turning the water off meant no water for the house OR the barns/livestock.

But then again, I haven't been a wee "girl" for many years. With age comes wisdom. Many of Chris's "girls" want nothing more than an apartment with a hot tub, and a nightclub on every corner.

• Love 1

Thanks, Shibori. Every house still has water pipes, a furnace, and lots of people still attend church every Sunday, plus the church is a great social-gathering place with spaghetti dinners, bingo nights ... all sorts of fun events. (!)  I'm guessing there are more business run out of houses that don't pay rent on a commercial building, like construction, garage repair, mowing, lawn care, house cleaning, painting, child care ... the list goes on.

Like I said, a place is as good as what you make it.

Not to insult small-town living, but construction, lawn care, etc. are services. These aren't "things to do" in town. Maybe you're being facetious by mentioning the indoor plumbing, but if this is all in earnest as if they need two plumbing supply shops because they have running water, then, I have to tell you, I've never thought of having to wait around for the plumber to show up as "entertainment"! If there's REALLY nothing going on in Arlington that they think mundane service providers coming out to the ol' homestead is the highlight of the week, then, dear lord, no sunset from any location in the solar system will make up for that! Church spaghetti dinners and bingo nights don't sound any more appealing to me (as I am agnostic, gluten-free, and bingo-adverse). But, I get that if you grow up in an area like that and it's your normal life, then I'm sure it's absolutely fabulous! It's just a big culture (or lack thereof) shock for someone who didn't grow up in an area like that.

• Love 10

You're right, Saber5055- the 2010 census has the population for Arlington's zip code (50606) as 885 people. Still small, but enough to support a few small businesses.

Thanks for this! I could've sworn Chris said the population was 700 something during Andi's season, so I was confused how it suddenly dropped to 400 at the start of his. He must've meant the zip code population.

Anyway, you know a town is boring when they have to mention basic services (groceries excluded) as things going on. And I'm sure parks will come in handy in such an urban place. Oh wait...

• Love 1

Not to insult small-town living, but construction, lawn care, etc. are services. These aren't "things to do" in town. Maybe you're being facetious by mentioning the indoor plumbing, but if this is all in earnest as if they need two plumbing supply shops because they have running water, then, I have to tell you, I've never thought of having to wait around for the plumber to show up as "entertainment"! If there's REALLY nothing going on in Arlington that they think mundane service providers coming out to the ol' homestead is the highlight of the week, then, dear lord, no sunset from any location in the solar system will make up for that! Church spaghetti dinners and bingo nights don't sound any more appealing to me (as I am agnostic, gluten-free, and bingo-adverse). But, I get that if you grow up in an area like that and it's your normal life, then I'm sure it's absolutely fabulous! It's just a big culture (or lack thereof) shock for someone who didn't grow up in an area like that.

Exactly. Leisure/recreation are what's lacking, not services. Hubby and I were talking about the lifestyle in small towns, and how they really do make their own fun, with pancake feeds and barbecues and sewing circles -- stuff like that, that doesn't need infrastructure. But unless a young woman is really into that or used to it, and used to seeing the same people all the time, the lack of sit-down restaurants, bars, coffee shops, clothing shops, movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc., will be a huge culture shock. Yes, you can drive to those things, but that's also part of the culture change. That's not saying one lifestyle is superior to the other, but it is saying it's a huge change if one isn't used to it (I assume the reverse is true, as well.) I also bet there aren't very many people Britt's age around -- Chris said many of the young people left. I can see Whitney feeling more comfortable (heck, her comfort in social situations is one of her huge pluses.)

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 1

There's a difference between the population for a city, which only includes people within the city limits, and the zip code, which would include people whose addresses are still the city but outside the city limits. My parents and I both live in a small town, have the same city in the address, and get mail from the same post office. I live in the Village of Bumblefuck, on a double "city" lot (about 1/3 of an acre) and could easily walk to all the other houses in the Village. My parents live a mile away, outside the village limits, but still colloquially considered Bumblefuck, and the houses there each are on a few acres. If you looked up the population for Bubmblefuck, it would include me and not my parents, but looking it up by zip code will give you both. Zip code gives you a better sense of the real population, because lots of people in rural areas aren't in city limits. That's why Arlington gives you a number in the 400s, but the zip code population is almost 900. Similarly, looking up the population of a big city (Pittsburgh is the closest to me) will give you the population in the city limits, but Pittsburgh metro, or statistical metro includes many more- from suburbs and even some surrounding counties.

There is technically nothing "recreational" to do in my town (other than bingo), but there are lots of options within 10-15 minutes, and you just get used to driving. I spent more time in the car when I lived in Pittsburgh to go much shorter distances because of traffic, so for me it's not a big deal. I make the hour + drive to Pittsburgh once or twice a month when I want more options. It's really a matter of preference.

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 2
pancake feeds

This made me laugh, so thanks. The volunteer firemen around here have yearly "feeds" to raise money for equipment. They are indeed yummy, and well-attended.

I live in the Village of Bumblefuck,

I live 10 miles from Bumblefuck! Howdy, neighbor!

• Love 2

Well, Ft. Lauderdale is a decent sized city with plenty to do, but I just stayed home and killed a rat, so those pancake feeds sound pretty sweet to me.   A happy person is happy anywhere.  You just adapt.   Me, I kill rats.     I'd rather hang with a plumber or two. 

• Love 2

To each, his or her own. The west coast isn't "all that" for everyone.

I think the point, though, is the west coast does seem to be "all that" for most of these contestants, and that being the case, Arlington would not likely appeal to them.

• Love 1

Mu Shu, your post cracked me up. Pancake feed vs. rat disposal ... gee, I don't know ...

LOL.   My point is,  living in a large urban area doesn't mean you go out all the time, even with all the things there are to do.    Small town people tend to be more social, IMO, and seem to do  more community activities.    We city folk with our east coast/west coast amenities don't actually have any more fun.      

• Love 2

I honestly never got the Arie love and his fangirls were embarrassing during that season. I also call bullshit on his acting like this is purely about finding a wife and not wanting to get back on television and extend his 15 minutes of fame. There is no way Arie can't find a woman to settle down with if he's truly ready for marriage. I mean I could buy Chris and his limited options being from that nowheresville area he's from. That said, after the utter boredom of Chris, I imagine Arie would certainly be far more interesting and entertaining than him. I can only imagine how high the kiss count on that season will be though.

• Love 5

Comparing Arlington to small town/rural living in other states doesn't work.  New England is full of beautiful small rural towns and since the states are more heavily populated they have and are never far from larger towns with a vital energy in the air.  We have gay men and women, liberal thinkers, fabulous restaurants, good and diverse food markets and a culture that is rich in music, art and theater.   We don't have to go to pancake feeds for entertainment.  The thought of eating slabs of carbs drenched in Aunt Jemima syrup is not my cup of tea (understatement).  But Chris loves it as do the other 435 people so Whitney may have found her personal heaven.  Time will tell.  I think I made it clear that I would stick needles in my eyes before moving to the middle of nowhere in a red state!!  :>) To each his own.

• Love 3

I honestly never got the Arie love and his fangirls were embarrassing during that season. I also call bullshit on his acting like this is purely about finding a wife and not wanting to get back on television and extend his 15 minutes of fame. There is no way Arie can't find a woman to settle down with if he's truly ready for marriage. I mean I could buy Chris and his limited options being from that nowheresville area he's from. That said, after the utter boredom of Chris, I imagine Arie would certainly be far more interesting and entertaining than him. I can only imagine how high the kiss count on that season will be though.

I think Sean was talking about Arie being chosen for this season before Chris. He's got a serious girlfriend now, so doubt he has any "need" for this show anytime soon. Thankfully, since I never found him attractive.

• Love 1

I just read the article with Sean's comments and my feelings on Arie aside, that was kind of a shady thing to do to him. And honestly, with the snorefest that has been this season, I'm thinking they probably would have done better to go with him than Chris. 

• Love 4

The thought of eating slabs of carbs drenched in Aunt Jemima syrup is not my cup of tea (understatement).  But Chris loves it as do the other 435 people so Whitney may have found her personal heaven.

I don't recall anywhere that Chris said he loves eating "slabs of carbs drenched in Aunt Jemima," and no Arlington residents were asked if they even HAVE a pancake feed there. Is there a link you can post? Maybe if you meant they just "love" living in/around Arlington, is there a link you can post for that? Kids who join the family business face all kinds of stress and trauma (I base this on all those Kitchen Nightmare family-restaurant episodes), and it's hard to walk away from family ties. Many people automatically stay or, after college, return to where they were born, or move back because of family or whatever reason. Sort of like salmon are programmed return to where they were hatched in order to spawn ... and die.

Everyone lives somewhere. Whether they are happy in their own personal somewhere ... that's only something each of us as a single individual can answer. I do know that no one is happy all the time, wherever he or she lives. 

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

We had PAGES of conversation about Arie being the Bachelor before Chris's season.  Nobody took the possibility seriously and nobody took HIM seriously as looking for a wife.  Though we did all agree he would be boatloads of fun to watch scam 25 women!  *LOL*

We have gay men and women, liberal thinkers, fabulous restaurants, good and diverse food markets and a culture that is rich in music, art and theater.

This describes everywhere in the United States. Even those low-down, good-for-nothing flyover states. I can drive less than one hour from my isolated Midwestern farm and find each one of those things. It's not a big deal.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I don't recall anywhere that Chris said he loves eating "slabs of carbs drenched in Aunt Jemima," and no Arlington residents were asked if they even HAVE a pancake feed there. Is there a link you can post? Maybe if you meant they just "love" living in/around Arlington, is there a link you can post for that? Kids who join the family business face all kinds of stress and trauma (I base this on all those Kitchen Nightmare family-restaurant episodes), and it's hard to walk away from family ties. Many people automatically stay or, after college, return to where they were born, or move back because of family or whatever reason. Sort of like salmon are programmed return to where they were hatched in order to spawn ... and die.

Everyone lives somewhere. Whether they are happy in their own personal somewhere ... that's only something each of us as a single individual can answer. I do know that no one is happy all the time, wherever he or she lives. 

I meant Chris loves Arlington (his life farming there).  He has said this.   A post above mine mentioned pancakes.   Nothing serious here! 

So, I was sitting here watching tv.....a commercial for a car came on. I was like "Chris Soules grew a beard and is in a car commercial?"

It was Matthew McConaghay. Or however you spell it. The resemblance was uncanny.

Edited for typo

Edited by Moooeymoo
  • Love 1

My mom e-mailed me and said she read that the next Bachelor is going to be Dez Bryant who is black and an NFL player. My mom doesn't always get her info right and usually doesn't even know who celebrities are so I am skeptical. Has anybody else heard anything like that?

I did see that on TMZ, not to say it originated there. At this point no one outside the franchise should be considered a plausible choice. ETA: the show films during football season.

Edited by Bugs Meany
  • Love 1

I caught Sean on Dish Nation last night where he said Arie was all set to be TB this season, and was even filmed telling his family he was going to be the next TB. Then, according to Sean, some new bigwigs came into power and nixed Arie to go instead with the "sure thing," which would be someone we all just saw (and, supposedly, fell in love with) and was fresh in our minds, Chris Soules. Because no one remembers Arie, right? Anyway, that's what Sean said about "his buddy" Arie and why Chris was made TB instead of Arie. (Someone else here posted a link to the video clip of that interview, I believe.)

So if that is the mindset of TPTB (and we know it is!), I don't see this franchise ever straying from that, using one of this season's cast for next season's star. So, Dez Bryant needs to sign up to be one of TB-ette's men if he wants on the show. How cool would THAT be?

• Love 1

Ugh, I'm sorry, but I just can't stand Sean.  In that same Dish Nation episode, he also talked about how on Emily's season, she told him that after the cameras left, he could come back into the fantasy suite so they could hang out (but just talk -- no hanky panky). Apparently she told him that he was the only guy she was going to ask to do that, and it was quite a shock to him to find out she also invited Jef and Arie back after hours (the implication being that Emily just doesn't have as much "integrity" as amazing Sean).   He then said that he would bet that Emily did "more than hang out" with Jef and Arie.

What an ass! For a guy who prides himself on being so thoughtful, sincere, and kind, it sure isn't cool to insinuate that Emily slept with both Jef and Arie, even though he has no way of knowing whether that happened or not.  It wouldn't bug me so much if he didn't clearly take himself so seriously as such a paragon of virtue.  

I read his crappy book (I know, I am a masochist) and it was basically him patting himself on the back for being a wonderful person. The funny thing was, a lot of the things he did weren't so wonderful -- like losing a bunch of investors' money for some stupid company he started with his friends. He calls his former friends out by name and insinuates that they were shady,but I wonder whether Sean has ever tried to repay some of those investors with the money he has made by becoming a shill for all things Bachelor (I'm sure the answer is no.)  He also continually referred to Arie as "bad boy Arie" (and not in a humorous or joking way), clearing comparing him negatively to angelic Sean.  I guess I just have a problem with people who believe themselves to be more virtuous and better than others just because they chose not to have sex before marriage.  I'd take Arie and his faults anyway over boring, self-absorbed, not-a-funny-bone in his body Sean.

I also just think he and Catherine are grade-A, narcissistic famewhores.

Edited by TTTTorrance
  • Love 11

Wow, Torrance, you read Sean's book! I never liked him on Emily's season and my opinion hasn't changed since. And he is still working TB cash cow. But just no way could I even pick up/flip through that book. There's watching this show for the fun snark, then there's just ... no. Never. But good on you, and thanks for the report!

• Love 5

My mom e-mailed me and said she read that the next Bachelor is going to be Dez Bryant who is black and an NFL player. My mom doesn't always get her info right and usually doesn't even know who celebrities are so I am skeptical. Has anybody else heard anything like that?

I don't know anything about him, but he is hot. *pleaseletthisbetrue*

• Love 1

Ugh, I'm sorry, but I just can't stand Sean.  In that same Dish Nation episode, he also talked about how on Emily's season, she told him that after the cameras left, he could come back into the fantasy suite so they could hang out (but just talk -- no hanky panky). Apparently she told him that he was the only guy she was going to ask to do that, and it was quite a shock to him to find out she also invited Jef and Arie back after hours (the implication being that Emily just doesn't have as much "integrity" as amazing Sean).   He then said that he would bet that Emily did "more than hang out" with Jef and Arie.

What an ass! For a guy who prides himself on being so thoughtful, sincere, and kind, it sure isn't cool to insinuate that Emily slept with both Jef and Arie, even though he has no way of knowing whether that happened or not.  It wouldn't bug me so much if he didn't clearly take himself so seriously as such a paragon of virtue.  

I read his crappy book (I know, I am a masochist) and it was basically him patting himself on the back for being a wonderful person. The funny thing was, a lot of the things he did weren't so wonderful -- like losing a bunch of investors' money for some stupid company he started with his friends. He calls his former friends out by name and insinuates that they were shady,but I wonder whether Sean has ever tried to repay some of those investors with the money he has made by becoming a shill for all things Bachelor (I'm sure the answer is no.)  He also continually referred to Arie as "bad boy Arie" (and not in a humorous or joking way), clearing comparing him negatively to angelic Sean.  I guess I just have a problem with people who believe themselves to be more virtuous and better than others just because they chose not to have sex before marriage.  I'd take Arie and his faults anyway over boring, self-absorbed, not-a-funny-bone in his body Sean.

Standing ovation and thundering applause!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 3

Yaaaas! Sean hate is like music to my ears. He has ALWAYS come off as a holier than thou douche to me which is why I skipped his season. It's sad that Catherine seems to have changed her personality to fit his. He continues to famewhore his way to extending his 15 minutes since he apparently doesn't even have a job. I am so glad their televised wedding was such an embarrassing mess.

I do believe his story about Emily inviting him back to the FS after the crew left. Rumor was back then that Arie was so upset when she dumped him because they had been intimate and he called her out but they didn't show that part. I never liked Emily either and found her shady as fuck too. I also 100% believe the story about her sexting and the fight she had with Jef about it that his brother leaked to Us Weekly. 

In other news, I posted this on The B'ette media board but no one seems to have seen it. A trailer of Des and Chris' wedding. I teared up hearing his vows. She was damn lucky he was there and Brooks left. They look so happy and she looked stunning.

http://www.desireehartsock.com/exclusive-des-chris-wedding-video/

• Love 4

Comparing Arlington to small town/rural living in other states doesn't work.  New England is full of beautiful small rural towns and since the states are more heavily populated they have and are never far from larger towns with a vital energy in the air.  We have gay men and women, liberal thinkers, fabulous restaurants, good and diverse food markets and a culture that is rich in music, art and theater.   We don't have to go to pancake feeds for entertainment.  The thought of eating slabs of carbs drenched in Aunt Jemima syrup is not my cup of tea (understatement).  But Chris loves it as do the other 435 people so Whitney may have found her personal heaven.  Time will tell.  I think I made it clear that I would stick needles in my eyes before moving to the middle of nowhere in a red state!!  :>) To each his own.

Just wanted to say I agree with all of the above completely. It's not the size of the small town, it's the mentality. There's nothing wrong with enjoying bingo and pancake breakfasts for charity, but it's very possible to find you have nothing in common with people living in a small rural town in the Heartland. I had that experience in a town 10x the size of Chris'... so happy to leave, and I was only there on a visit.

Different strokes and all, but I'm surprised that TB didn't choose more women who seem likely to like life in Arlingtron. Maybe Chris has hopes for Becca, because Whitney and her career in Chicago and street-smart, wise-cracking, rap-loving, borderline hipster Kaitlyn seem like a poor fit. I think they're probably more like Chris' sisters who left Arlington--one for Chicago and one for Ireland. Maybe that's why they chose Jade for the one-on-one, she presented herself as a quiet, demur small town girl. (Should be fun to hear their reaction to the nude modeling --and, imo, creepy family)..

• Love 1
Comparing Arlington to small town/rural living in other states doesn't work.  New England is full of beautiful small rural towns and since the states are more heavily populated they have and are never far from larger towns with a vital energy in the air.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Wings...I've lived in New England for nearly 20 years and while cute, charming small towns abound, there are also plenty of towns that resemble Arlington, too...primarily in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom, NH north of the White Mountains, and large swaths of inland Maine. Unless you're up there to fish, hunt, hike, or go white-water rafting, you'd better bring some reading material. The Berkshires are lovely but many towns (outside of the wealthier ones like Great Barrington and Lenox) are struggling, especially as industry has left the area. Plus, Iowa tends to be more progressive-leaning than other Midwest states. That's probably a moot point though if Chris considers himself conservative, but I don't think it would be quite the culture shock of other states.

Different strokes and all, but I'm surprised that TB didn't choose more women who seem likely to like life in Arlington.

One thing I'd LOVE to see this show do - and it never will - is have older contestants. Women in their 20s are still building their careers, finishing their educations etc. and want to be in or near an urban environment with opportunities. As people get older, they often gravitate to a quiet, less hectic pace of life, and think "city dwelling? been there, done that." Jade was probably the closest to understand what life in Arlington would be life, but had run away from her small town in Nebraska the first chance she got.

All this aside, the kind of women who would find small-town life appealing are probably not the type of women who would make for good dramatic TV, unfortunately.

• Love 2

They did have an older season, and the older women were just as childish and idiotic, if not more so, than the 20 somethings.     Plus, the Bachelor looked like a dried out sheet of beef jerky with Corbin Bersen's hair. 

I think Mu Shu means Byron the professional fisherman, who clearly had not worn enough sunscreen when he was out fishing bass over the years. I liked the other guy Jay? better.

The only good thing about that season was the Mary/Bryon story. So sad how badly it ended up.

Edited by lulee
  • Love 1

Sean hate is like music to my ears. He has ALWAYS come off as a holier than thou douche to me which is why I skipped his season. It's sad that Catherine seems to have changed her personality to fit his.

While I sure don't go out of my way to see or listen to any Sean interviews, the ones I've seen with Catherine present, I get the feeling from her she's snarking on Sean, whatever she says about him gives me that vibe. I feel like she really cuts into him in private if she's sarcastic in front of the cameras.

I'll watch any TB or TB-ette just so I can come here and read the snark, and join in when I can. It's a guilty pleasure! (And I hate it when couples actually get married. The nerve!)

• Love 1