Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think speculation about anyone's sexual side is a waste of time. There are better things to do. Girls have always been raised to HAVE to be married and have children or they are nothing, a loss to society. Thanks the gods that thinking is changing, and women can now have professional careers and (some of them) make more money than a man. Whether they chose to sleep with men or women or no one at all means nothing. The same goes for men IMO. I judge people by how they present themselves and what they accomplish in the way of doing good or creating something worthwhile, not by with whom they have sex, or don't have sex. Making sex-partner preferences the No. 1 "thing" is so 1960s. Are unmarried women still called "old maids"? Or just lesbians? It seems they are, and unmarried men are all gay.

Yeah, right. NOT.

I'm on two online dating sites and 99 out of 100 men on both are divorced. To me, that speaks volumes about how "great" marriage is. After the fun of the engagement and wedding, one has to live with the person. That doesn't seem to be so popular.

The Bachelor is going up against AGT tonight. I'll be in for TB since AGT reruns on Saturday. Otherwise, tough decision given the lows to which TB franchise has sunk. See you guys in the episode thread tomorrow.

1960s?  I graduated in 1968 and knew a lot of young women who had no interest in entering domestic captivity.  And those of us who did marry and/or had children did so in our 30s after establishing careers.  Of my high school friends, only a few have had children, now that I think about it.  You might have us confused with our mothers - although neither of my aunts had children, so they also forgot to read about the stereotypes. 😀

Edited by EllenB
Pinkie typed.
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, EllenB said:

1960s?  I graduated in 1968 and knew a lot of young women who had no interest in entering domestic captivity.  And those of us who did marry and/or had children did so in our 30s after establishing careers.  Of my high school friends, only a few have had children, now that I think about it.  You might have us confused with our mothers - although neither of my aunts had children, so they also forgot to read about the stereotypes. 😀

I think a lot depends on where you're from.  I'm from a small city, and many of my sister's female classmates (1975) got married right out of high school.

41 minutes ago, ByTor said:

I think a lot depends on where you're from.  I'm from a small city, and many of my sister's female classmates (1975) got married right out of high school.

I'm also from a small city and I graduated in 1975, and in my group of girl friends, almost all of them were married within four years.  Two of them graduated from college a semester early to get married and move with their husbands.  All but one of them had children within a couple of years, and the one who didn't was only because she divorced, but she finally had a kid when she was in her 30s.  Shoot, one of them got married IN high school, and wasn't even pregnant. 

The period between 1965 and 1975 was really an upheaval that hit various parts of the country at different times.  My brother's 1969 high school yearbook has girls with bouffant hairdos next to girls who were probably ironing their hair, and boys with crew cuts and black-framed glasses next to boys who were letting their hair grow out.  You can see a similar mix if you examine the crowd in the movie Woodstock. 

So I think it's really hard to generalize about anything during that decade, except that times were changing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, JenE4 said:

How can one be far enough into a pregnancy to determine the gender and still pull off a see-through crop top?!?

Seriously! It took me quite some time to realize what was a girl. I don't follow them so I didn't realize they got knocked up.  That has got to be the worst gender announcement photo I've ever seen. I'm guessing the ever so slight pink is meant to represent the girl they are supposedly having. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm also from a small city and I graduated in 1975, and in my group of girl friends, almost all of them were married within four years.  Two of them graduated from college a semester early to get married and move with their husbands.  All but one of them had children within a couple of years, and the one who didn't was only because she divorced, but she finally had a kid when she was in her 30s.  Shoot, one of them got married IN high school, and wasn't even pregnant. 

The period between 1965 and 1975 was really an upheaval that hit various parts of the country at different times.  My brother's 1969 high school yearbook has girls with bouffant hairdos next to girls who were probably ironing their hair, and boys with crew cuts and black-framed glasses next to boys who were letting their hair grow out.  You can see a similar mix if you examine the crowd in the movie Woodstock. 

So I think it's really hard to generalize about anything during that decade, except that times were changing.

I was from a smallish town but most of our female graduates in 1968 were bound for college and careers.  My husband graduated ten years later in a city, and his female classmates in the late 1970s mostly married within a year or so of graduation and kept popping out babies for the next several years.  I was pretty shocked and felt I'd fallen into Stepford.  When I look at the batches of young women (or not so young) on this show, I sometimes wonder what planet they are from.  They seem to have so few thoughts beyond their boobs, lips and hair, and the desperate hunt for a mate.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, EllenB said:

When I look at the batches of young women (or not so young) on this show, I sometimes wonder what planet they are from.  They seem to have so few thoughts beyond their boobs, lips and hair, and the desperate hunt for a mate.

To be fair, the combatants on this show do self-select for that. 

6 hours ago, JenE4 said:

How can one be far enough into a pregnancy to determine the gender and still pull off a see-through crop top?!?

I know they're doing it earlier and earlier these days, and read that 20 weeks is common, and sometimes several weeks earlier than that.  I had fibroids the size of a 20-week uterus and wasn't "showing" at all (but still wouldn't have posed for photos in a see-through crop top).

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I wonder how often Arie cheats on her.. is it daily? weekly? He was such a loser.

I don't understand how Lauren still has a 6 pack when she's at least 4 months pregnant.

Why do you think he cheats on her? Has that been reported?

She has a waist but not a six-pack in that photo.

• Love 5

I think they both look pretty damn happy together.  Not a single shred of negative gossip about either for almost a year, so they may well have a rock-solid relationship.  Arie may have matured into a grown-ass man after all. 

I believe their wedding is this Saturday, so photos of that should be coming soon.  I look forward to them.  

• Love 9

@leighdear  I agree.  They seem solid and although I’ll always loathe how the Becca breakup went down, they seem like they will be a success story.   Plus his clap back to Jef was classic slow burn revenge and it made me laugh. Sean Lowe and family are in HI for the wedding so I’m expecting tons of SM pictures.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, ByTor said:
I don't think she gained any of her own weight, she's all baby (unless filters are in play).

Image filters don't usually make you look thinner, they're a pixel-wise operation that changes the light and/or blurs neighboring pixels together to create a smoothing effect. Making a person looks thinner requires retouching, and since in the picture above there's both a regular and mirror image of Lauren, retouching both to look the same would be a lot of work. Seems like Lauren is just genetically blessed in that department (and good for her, since she's been shafted in the brains and personality departments).

I believe that Arie and Lauren are happy together - for now. They're still in the honeymoon phase of their relationship and can focus on each other. Arie might get restless again once the novelty wears off and/or Lauren pays more attention to their child than to him.

• Love 18

Just noticed saber5055's comment.

I think speculation about someone's sexual preferences is perfectly relevant when discussing a show that purports to show a heterosexual man (or woman) in search of "The One" from among a group of attractive individuals of the opposite sex.

And yes, TB certainly engineers the show in a manner intended to lead us to believe that the bachelor (who they position as a wonderful candidate) is straight. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Yes, the second photo proved your point, it's all in the profile.

I agree that I don't see Arie as a cheat.  If Emily was any indication I think he loves pretty hard.  The long marriage his parents have had is another indicator that he might be a good husband.  I don't think the switch back to Laura from Becca really says very much about his ability to stay faithful, this show just sets people up to look like players.  By the time they've dated 30 girls in two months, and been rushed into making a proposal, who wouldn't look faithless?

• Love 10

Agreed. If you follow them on Instagram, they are sickingly happy which is great for them. I think they will last. To be honest, at this point, I can’t even believe he picked Becca first, Lauren seems so into instagramming themselves as he is - they’re perfect for each other I guess. 

• Love 4

Lauren ... wow to the spray tan.

Back to this season: Sloth Girl is getting her 15 minutes of fame. Her clip has also been on Kimmel and TMZ, and she's been talked about ad nauseum on the radio. I still don't know her name or what she looks like though, she's just "Sloth Girl."

• Love 1

Yes because we all know showing happiness on instagram means everything is wonderful (sorry if that sounds nasty,.. I don't intend for it to be).

I just remember he broke up with his girlfriend of a year once they offered him the bachelor gig and the ex gf made it clear that he's a player.. and watching him week after week, he only seems interested in the physical.

I do wonder why he chose Becca at first as well. Something was pushing him away from choosing Lauren as a life partner.

• Love 7

The wedding is Saturday, right? I do not follow them closely, but for some reason found myself looking through his IG the other day. He seems genuinely happy. I do wonder if he will eventually get bored. But maybe he wants a trophy wife.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, nutty1 said:

The wedding is Saturday, right? I do not follow them closely, but for some reason found myself looking through his IG the other day. He seems genuinely happy. I do wonder if he will eventually get bored. But maybe he wants a trophy wife.

Yes, in the morning Hawaii time. Hawaii is 5 hours behind Eastern Time of the US. Sean and Catherine Lowe are there as the guests for the wedding as well as his extended family (Sean's parents and his and Catherine's sons). Sean and Arie are besties since Emily's season of The Bachelorette nearly seven years ago. John Wolfner (another of Emily's guys; besties with Sean and Arie) is also in Hawaii, as well as Lauren's girl pals Jenna, Jacqueline, Jenny, Maquel, Seinne and Marikh from Arie's season.

I am from the Philippines that Hawaii is 18 hours behind PH time where many Filipinos live in Hawaii.

Edited by ApprenticeFan
11 hours ago, nutty1 said:

But maybe he wants a trophy wife.

If Arie just wanted a tropy wife, he's moved in much more exclusive circles over the years to have bagged himself a much prettier, wealthier and personality-forward woman.  His daddy's fame and money has opened a lot of doors for him over the years.  Lauren is pretty average across the board. 

I think he truly adores Lauren, and for him, it's real right now.  No telling about the future, of course.  I hope they have a beautiful day tomorrow and we get lots of pics. 

• Love 5
On 1/9/2019 at 3:47 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Why do you think he cheats on her? Has that been reported?

History.  Maybe Arie has grown up and COMPLETELY changed his ways, but reports from his exes (even the ones who defend him and don't have an axe to grind with him) describe a man who is/was very self-centered. He'll give you all the attention (and gifts/money) while he's interested in you (ie, you have something he wants), but as soon as he loses interest he moves on and doesn't give a damn about you. We saw that first hand with his break up with Becca, where all he really cared about was getting her to forgive him. In his mind, he wanted to be with Lauren, so that was the only thing that mattered (and he had already gone behind Becca's back and lined things up with Lauren that she'd take him back.) There's a possibility that he's changed and will now grow up and think about more than himself, but he's also someone who's never worked for anything and doesn't suffer any consequences for his actions. It would take a lot of effort for him to change his patterns/ways, and he just seems too lazy and stupid to recognize that in himself.

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

If Arie just wanted a tropy wife, he's moved in much more exclusive circles over the years to have bagged himself a much prettier, wealthier and personality-forward woman.  His daddy's fame and money has opened a lot of doors for him over the years.  Lauren is pretty average across the board. 

I think he truly adores Lauren, and for him, it's real right now.  No telling about the future, of course.  I hope they have a beautiful day tomorrow and we get lots of pics. 

Agree with everything except the wealth and personality trophy wife. Most "trophy" wives are just that, empty vessels. Women with money and personality don't want to just be arm candy. And it's already been established (by his own family) that he doesn't date women who challenge him or are on or at his level of maturity. He goes for submissive, young, pretty women (girls) that don't really ask him to do much.

• Love 8

I just started following Sean Lowe on Twitter, to see what he's posting about Arie's wedding.  I forgot how damn funny this guy is.  Hopefully he'll have time to throw out a lot of tweets during the weekend.....

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4
On 1/10/2019 at 5:36 AM, JudyObscure said:

Yes, the second photo proved your point, it's all in the profile.

I agree that I don't see Arie as a cheat.  If Emily was any indication I think he loves pretty hard.  The long marriage his parents have had is another indicator that he might be a good husband.  I don't think the switch back to Laura from Becca really says very much about his ability to stay faithful, this show just sets people up to look like players.  By the time they've dated 30 girls in two months, and been rushed into making a proposal, who wouldn't look faithless?

Plus, grandpa possum proble has the sciatica and can’t go out clubbing these days.

i really liked Sean in that Paradise after show.  

Edited by Mu Shu
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Thanks, Dejana. 

Her dress looks lovely from that one small photo.  And I love that Chris Harrison got to officiate this ceremony.  I'm very happy for them both, and Jef Holm can go definitely go suck it now.  *LOL*

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5

I agree they look happy on Instagram but I am still suspicious. A lot of people look really happy on Instagram, but it doesn’t mean they always are. And it has been a short time together. There is plenty of time for Arie to return to his old ways. I find Lauren a bit insufferable. She seems fake and doesn’t have much substance. There is just something about them I don’t care for. 

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, alexa said:

A lot of people look really happy on Instagram, but it doesn’t mean they always are.

Isn't that the whole point of Instagram? To act like you're really happy so people will think your life is perfect. Well, that and turning your mediocre reality career into a career as a virtual huckster. 

• Love 12

Nobody has to get married any more, baby or not, unless they want to. Lauren and Arie, and their families, could certainly afford a nice wedding. They won’t have any more IG followers because of it. Maybe they really do love each other that much.

More importantly, interesting that they are back in The Bachelor’s good graces! 

I forgot how much I liked both Arie and Sean on Emily’s season. Except Jef 😂, she really had great fun guys.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, leighdear said:

Thanks, Dejana. 

Her dress looks lovely from that one small photo.  And I love that Chris Harrison got to officiate this ceremony.  I'm very happy for them both, and Jef Holm can go definitely go suck it now.  *LOL*

I googled to see what their feud was even about and found this.  Not a huge Arie fan but Jef comes off as incredibly bitter in comparison.

3 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Nobody has to get married any more, baby or not, unless they want to. Lauren and Arie, and their families, could certainly afford a nice wedding. They won’t have any more IG followers because of it. Maybe they really do love each other that much.

More importantly, interesting that they are back in The Bachelor’s good graces! 

I forgot how much I liked both Arie and Sean on Emily’s season. Except Jef 😂, she really had great fun guys.

Didn't love how the Arie/Lauren relationship started out and I'm not sure what they see in each other, but they seem well matched, so good for them. I searched Twitter when they showed Arie/Lauren in the Bachelor Babies segment and people were not happy to see them, so I don't know how much wedding footage we'll be getting on the air.

• Love 1

I'm betting there will be at least a small blurb in PEOPLE mag.  They usually feature ABC reality show weddings and babies.  

I think Emily had THE best contestants of any Bachelorette.  Aside from Arie & Sean, we had Ryan Bowers and the infamous Kalon and Chris Bukowski!  And she had an actual celeb singer, Luke Bryan PLUS met Dolly Parton at Dollywood.  So hands down, I think the best season they ever had. 

I think Arie has always been in ABC's good graces, they just needed to bring him back at the right time. 

• Love 4

Thanks Chocolatine!

Ok, I LOVE having grandma & grandpa as the "flower girl" and "ring bearer".  Beyond cute!

Her dress is very pretty and works well with her stage of pregnancy, but I do NOT like illusion net filling in a plunging neckline.  A little higher cut without the net would have been much better.  I do love the way the flowers trail down from the bodice onto the skirt.  And Arie looks very handsome.   I wish them all the best. 

• Love 3
On 1/9/2019 at 7:17 PM, ByTor said:

I don't think she gained any of her own weight, she's all baby (unless filters are in play).

I follow an actor on Instagram.  When his wife was pregnant, he posted a normal pregnancy photo of her, and she’s a model.

The difference?  They’re real artists.  They don’t shill on Instagram. This is just low rent Instagram shilling.  That baby will put them in a new tax bracket with the shilling possibilities.

i think it’s fucking gross to use children to make money on social media.  

• Love 6

Every single female member of this franchise that's gotten knocked up has displayed her belly in some way on social media.  Ashley & JP even had a fake sonogram done on TV.  Most have hawked some product also, Carly & Evan were shilling boxed meals, Jade was shilling tea, etc. 

I can't see how a single photo of Lauren in a swimsuit is a fucking gross use of a child, but to each his own.  I also don't see Lauren "advertising" anything in this photo, other than a lack of reliable birth control. 

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, leighdear said:

other than a lack of reliable birth control

I don't believe for a second that Lauren didn't get pregnant on purpose. She knows it's only a matter of time until Arie starts looking for greener pastures, and with a kid she'll at least be financially set for the next 18 years. She has so little faith in Arie that she didn't even wait until after the wedding.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Every single female member of this franchise that's gotten knocked up has displayed her belly in some way on social media.  Ashley & JP even had a fake sonogram done on TV.  Most have hawked some product also, Carly & Evan were shilling boxed meals, Jade was shilling tea, etc. 

I can't see how a single photo of Lauren in a swimsuit is a fucking gross use of a child, but to each his own.  I also don't see Lauren "advertising" anything in this photo, other than a lack of reliable birth control. 

Oh, it’s coming.  As soon as she pops the kid out, she’ll start shilling all the baby stuff.   That’s how these carpetbaggers make their dough.  She’s advertising her pregnancy so she can do sponsored ads.  Amanda was big at putting her kids up in ads.  It’s a thing. 

Sorry kid, I don’t find her or her rickety old man appealing.  I think they’re both dull opportunistic poop faces.  

• Love 9

Lauren is very pretty but has a resting bitch face. There, I said it. (I always thought it while the show was airing, and I even think see it in some wedding photos and post wedding photos).

• Love 6
On 1/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

Yes because we all know showing happiness on instagram means everything is wonderful (sorry if that sounds nasty,.. I don't intend for it to be).

Oh no worries - did I make it sound like I was a fan? They’re annoying for sure.

• Love 3