Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

I would think they could never have Chris Harrison be The Bachelor because if his relationship didn't work out it would highlight how flawed the show is and also the lead usually ends up being disliked by the end of the season and I don't think they would want to risk that. 

2 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I would think they could never have Chris Harrison be The Bachelor because if his relationship didn't work out it would highlight how flawed the show is and also the lead usually ends up being disliked by the end of the season and I don't think they would want to risk that. 

I think the show stopped pretending a long time ago that marriage is its ultimate goal. It's all about memorable characters and drama to generate water cooler talk. If CH wanted to do it, I'm sure Fleiss and ABC would have him in a heartbeat, but I think he's looking for a higher caliber of woman than is usually cast on this show.

• Love 2

GMA is having some kind of Bachelor battle.   I saw five or six on each team including Wills, Tanner and Evan

just recognized Jason and Molly and I think Kendall is there too.

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 2

I'm really curious what happened with Jason and Blake, especially Jason because he really seemed like he wanted the gig. I didn't get that sense much with Blake who from what I read spent most of the season very low key and apparently is not very active on social media. I don't really care that much but I would have given a Jason or Blake season at least a one or two episode look. I have less than zero interest in Colton and judging by the reactions I'm reading online, many aren't here for him as well.

In fact, it's my understanding that the news leaked days ago and people let their feeling known there, similar to when Caila being the next lead was leaked and viewers made their feeling known on that. And in that case, the producers clearly heard, enough to go with JoJo instead. I didn't really watch Becca's season, so I don't have a strong opinion on any of the guys but from everything I read while the season was airing and after, so many seem to dislike Colton. And apparently the dislike grew from his time in BiP and yet, that's who the producers go with for the next lead? Okay then

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

I'm really curious what happened with Jason and Blake, especially Jason because he really seemed like he wanted the gig.

My guess is that they looked at the big picture in terms of who has name recognition, and after the BIP stuff, Colton is just more recognizable.  Plus, if he really is a people pleaser like he said last night, he will be a producers dream and Im sure Fleiss is salivating at that possibility.  Im disappointed because I think he is a terribly dull, inarticulate, bad narrator and poor communicator, and every other lead we have had in that mold has been unwatchable: Chris Soules, Juan Pablo, Matt Grant. 

I also feel for Colton, because I think he is quite possibly a decent person, and he is going to have the shit manipulated out of him. I think this season is likely to destroy him.  But he is getting what he asked for... so I don't have that much sympathy for him.  

• Love 16

Yeah as one of the many that pegged this one the moment he left Becca's season, I'm quite possibly out...

But TPTB of this show are soooo predictable, they do whatever they feel will bring the Most. Drama. Evar. It's like knowing that friend who can always be counted on to make the worst choices. All you can do is shake your head and try to stay out of the blast radius.

I don't feel he is ready for or capable of taking the lead... but they've played The Colton Card so heavy handedly I'm sure that out there the majority of Bachelor Nation is overjoyed that poor sad virgin Colton will now have a chance to 'find his person on The Journey'. Us on the fringes will be here to call them on it.

• Love 6

There were so many fabulous options. We had Blake - poor, brokenhearted, in-need-of-redemption Blake! He desperately wants a wife and a forever love and soul mate and all that.

We had Jason - the hottie who looks like a classy Jersey Shore cutout (my taste) who seems to have a fun demeanor, cool family, heart of gold, and fabulous hair! He has great friends who care about him and an articulate brother who can pass for Darrin Criss. What went wrong?!

We have Grocer Joe - the Preference of the Proletariat! A sweeter, humbler, more normal person, I have never seen. Sure, he's not particularly loquacious, but I'd enjoy looking at him for 12 weeks and hearing produce jokes. We could have a whole group date focused on squeezing melons and playing Supermarket Sweep! Geez, that season writes itself. Who turns that down?

Instead, we got Colton. For a show that pushes engagements and marriage, I've never seen a worse choice. This guy is emotionally in high school and doesn't have a prayer of convincing us of an engagement. Anyone can pull out a ring and propose, but we need to be convinced it's real if we're not to revolt. I see a sea of 21-year-old bimbos and Insta models who are willing to put up with anything for camera time, because who else would stick around for Colton? I think a lot of the quality women will leave of their own volition when it becomes clear Colton is a glorified man-child.

And to think people once complained about Nick. I wish they'd Womack-ed him rather than picked Colton. The only worse choice would have been a second go-round with Boring Ben Higgins.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 23

Colton ... the Bachelor whose eyes don't match what his mouth is (scriptedly) saying. He's not even good a faking it. *sigh* This is all so depressing. As expected, GMA showed the clip of the Big Tia Breakup. Count on her to return to give him "advice" during the season.

I'd rather see a second season of Juan Pablo. At least he was good to look at and has great legs. Colton? Not even brainless eye candy. Just brainless. But I guess Colton ends up being The Winner in the Big Race To Be Next Bachelor. You know, the real prize all of Becca's beaus were competing for.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

We have Grocer Joe - the Preference of the Proletariat! A sweeter, humbler, more normal person, I have never seen. Sure, he's not particularly loquacious, but I'd enjoy looking at him for 12 weeks and hearing produce jokes. We could have a whole group date focused on squeezing melons and playing Supermarket Sweep! Geez, that season writes itself. Who turns that down?

If it is true the Joe is going on Dancing With The Stars, he is really the big winner in all this.  Whoever gets the Bachelor lead, no matter how beloved, usually ends up hated.  DWTS is a great and lucrative opportunity.  And I think only Jake Pavelka came out of it being reviled.

• Love 21
13 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

If it is true the Joe is going on Dancing With The Stars, he is really the big winner in all this.  Whoever gets the Bachelor lead, no matter how beloved, usually ends up hated.  DWTS is a great and lucrative opportunity.  And I think only Jake Pavelka came out of it being reviled.

Agreed. When I read the rumor, I thought, "good for you Joe if true". Because honestly, sweet as Joe seems, dude could not carry a season as the lead and I think that would have been a mess. With DWTS he gets some more free publicity, a nice paycheck and gets to have some fun. All good.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Fable said:

I think he went into it being reviled.  

I don't think Farmer Chris fared very well on DWTS. He got pretty snippy with partner Witney toward the end. And Nick Viall blamed the news about Chris killing his neighbor as the reason Nick was voted off. Joe might fare pretty well on DWTS since none of us know him very well. Or make that: TPTB haven't ruined him (totally) for us. Yet. I hope he does well.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

But TPTB of this show are soooo predictable, they do whatever they feel will bring the Most. Drama. Evar. It's like knowing that friend who can always be counted on to make the worst choices.

I know that people will say that Ben H was a producers dream, willing to do whatever they asked so in that way he is similar to Colton. But Ben was way more articulate than Colton will ever be. I can't see how they thought Ben would bring the Most. Drama. Evar. though. He was pretty boring and tame IMO. I think the position goes to whoever kisses the producers _____  the most and being willing to do whatever asked. 

Colton as Bachelor? Ugh. This shows not even trying to fool us anymore into even slightly believing these guys are looking for anything serious. I prefer to be fooled myself. I know it's mostly fake but I do enjoy it when something lasting comes out of this mess, albeit not very often. We might as well be watching Unreal.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Agreed. When I read the rumor, I thought, "good for you Joe if true". Because honestly, sweet as Joe seems, dude could not carry a season as the lead and I think that would have been a mess. With DWTS he gets some more free publicity, a nice paycheck and gets to have some fun. All good.

I'm more excited about seeing Joe on DWTS than seeing Colton as the new Bachelor. 

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

I know it's mostly fake but I do enjoy it when something lasting comes out of this mess, albeit not very often.

I actually think that's why they picked Colton. They think he'll be more likely to propose at the end of this since he won't screw anyone he's not serious about. They probably think that means he's looking for a serious relationship. I think they're wrong, but I think they are buying what he's been selling them. I think they want Sean 2.0, who might be the last Bachelor choice that actually stuck. I could be wrong, I don't pay that much attention to this stuff. I just get the impression they see Sean and Catherine as a success story and Colton is the closest thing to Sean they've had in a long time. 

• Love 6

I don’t watch Bachelorette, so I rarely have any knowledge of/investment in who the bachelor is (Nick’s probably the first one I recognized because he had been on BIP). Personally, I watch for the women. If they have a lame cast of women show up I won’t want to watch. But I don’t really care if some random dude gets engaged/married on TV. I just want him to be decent and not an asshole to the women. In that respect, I don’t think Colton can be worse than Arie was. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

I don’t watch Bachelorette, so I rarely have any knowledge of/investment in who the bachelor is (Nick’s probably the first one I recognized because he had been on BIP). Personally, I watch for the women. If they have a lame cast of women show up I won’t want to watch. But I don’t really care if some random dude gets engaged/married on TV. I just want him to be decent and not an asshole to the women. In that respect, I don’t think Colton can be worse than Arie was. 

Oh, if only that were true...

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

I just want him to be decent and not an asshole to the women. In that respect, I don’t think Colton can be worse than Arie was. 

59 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

They think he'll be more likely to propose at the end of this since he won't screw anyone he's not serious about. They probably think that means he's looking for a serious relationship.

Stan39, it wouldn't take much to be better than Arie was. It's really just trading one boring storyline for another IMO.

That's just it though @Mabinogia I don't think Colton is serious about finding anyone. And I have to disagree about him having the producers snowed. I don't think they believe he's looking for anything serious either. They are hoping we will believe it though. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Stan39 said:

I don’t think Colton can be worse than Arie was. 

I had a majorly HUGE crush on Arie after Emily's season, and was pumped beyond words when he was chosen to be TB. I even would have applied for his season. Yeah, that glow faded pretty quickly, but at least it was something to look forward to. But Colton? Nothing there of interest for me.

1 hour ago, yorklee2 said:

I don't think Colton is serious about finding anyone. And I have to disagree about him having the producers snowed. I don't think they believe he's looking for anything serious either. They are hoping we will believe it though. 

I totally agree with this, that TPTB want us to believe the script they are writing for Colton to (clumsily) follow. It's all about ratings which are built via watercooler talk, clips being played on entertainment shows and chatter on talk radio as we watch this lovelorn virgin on his Great Journey to Find Love. Even Colton haters will be watching and snarking, and maybe even believing a minute or two of the edited scenes we get to see.

"Moo" said the Fleiss cash cow.

• Love 6

For me, I don't hate Colton, so if I did watch, I wouldn't be hate-watching for snarky reasons.  He seems like an ok guy.  Probably doesn't torture animals, poop on the floor or yell at his mother. 

I just have ZERO interest in him as a person, as a character and as a Bachelor.  He's just a big, fat nothing to my eyes.  Not charismatic, not interesting, not sexy, not appealing to me at all. 

He gives me no reason to want to watch him, or any women picked for him to "date". 

So for me, it's no hysterical, emotional threat of throwing down a gauntlet and vowing to abandon the franchise forever.  I'll probably watch the next one.  Or not.  

ABC has to give me a reason not to do something else on those nights.  And Colton simply isn't it.  :)

• Love 11

So now that it's official, DAMN again! ?

Here's to hoping the winner of this season in the very least is his Legacy Project for CF. And at the very most, that Colton is the 1st lead who we end the season liking when he started off not being the fan favorite, the opposite of every other lead.

OT: I hope they have a segment on DWTS with Adam Carolla spoofing Joe. Hope he does well and not ruin my current favorable opinion of him. At least DWTS starts in a few weeks whereas we have months to come to terms with Colton.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 4

I don't quite get all the Colton hate. I've gone back and forth on him a bit, but considering who they've had on the show before, I don't think he's that bad. He's not a jackass, and I don't think he's completely bland. I think he'll be fine as the Bachelor. Just keep Tia away. 

• Love 5

Filming supposedly starts on September 20th, so dates and photos will start filtering into the media.  Wanna bet they'll have at least 1 group date where the girls play powder-puff football?

It's going to all be so predictable.  

• Love 3
On 9/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, Fable said:

I think he went into it being reviled.  

I recall Jake being a fairly popular choice for Bachelor. And he remained so for a couple of episodes. The whole deal with Rozlyn and her "inappropriate relationship" with a producer even earned Jake some sympathy. Really, it wasn't until it became clear Vienna would be his choice that it began to go south for Jake. I guess once he settled into a "relationship" his true jerkass nature could no longer be kept hidden. Though even then, it still only simmered beneath the surface. The point of no return for Jake was that interview he and Vienna did, where Vienna ran off in tears. Whatever good will Jake still had was gone forever from that point on. 

Colton is coming in probably more reviled than any Bachelor since Brad Womack. Hopefully, like Brad, he can rehabilitate his image. Still, even if that image upgrade doesn't occur. I don't think Colton will exceed the level of hatred Jake, Juan Pablo, or Arie eventually inspired. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 6

Given some of the goobers they've had as "The Bachelor", I think Colton will do just fine.  He will probably get the same storyline as Sean.  They will pick a villainess, in Sean's case it was Tierra, and focus all the attention on her.  Before we know it, the season will be over and his final pick will leave us scratching our heads, because we totally didn't see her as the one. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I really didn't like Arie, but I would legit watch another Arie season over Colton. 

Edited by atlanticslide
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Token said:

Great.  I skipped Bachelor in Paradise.  Now I'm going to skip the Bachelor.  I don't know what I'm going to do with all this extra time!

You come back in 2019 with 14 PhDs and the ability to speak several languages.  You are the Jason Bourne of our world.   We all will be making tired virgin puns and speaking in ‘likes’.  God* have mercy on our souls.

*chris Harrison

Edited by LBS
  • Love 13

I can just picture the parade of women as they get out of the limos:

Hamsterette: "Colton (Squeal)!!!  I'm Asheleighannalisalaurenchelsea!!  How ARE you???"

Colton:  "Duhrr.  Um.  Purdy.  Um.  Duhrr.". Starts sobbing.

Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat.

Edited by EllenB
Scrambled sentence.
  • Love 3

If Jason is serious about his career as a corporate banker he probably couldn't take another leave of absence for filming in the same year. He probably used up all his paid time off for the year or else took an unpaid leave or both.

• Love 7
On 9/4/2018 at 8:28 AM, Armchair Critic said:

15 hours ago, violet and green said:

They went with Colton? Oh. Dear God. No.

How can this work?  They have given him the idiot/master deceiver edit.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:35 PM, Fable said:

Oh, I'm just waiting for her to be announced as the followup Bachelorette.  

YOU SHUT UP RIGHT NOW MISSY!

• Love 7

I'm hoping that since my expectations are so low for Colton that I'll be pleasantly surprised. I mean,  I was excited for Chris S., Nick, and Arie and look where that got me.  It got me a big ol' trip to the land of questionable taste in men and I didn't like it.    So a toast to your mediocrity, Colton!   The bar is set low.  Go meet it!  

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

If Jason is serious about his career as a corporate banker he probably couldn't take another leave of absence for filming in the same year. He probably used up all his paid time off for the year or else took an unpaid leave or both.

Nah, the way I heard him describe the place he is in his career, his job is client driven. So if Jason gets a lot of name recognition and publicity, he will be able to sell the time away to his company as a business generator. The bach hobnobs with a lot of people with a lot of money - and that is good for a banker.   If he ends up looking like a fool, well, they’ll just fire him ;-). 

• Love 1

Colton the bachelor???  No he was supposed to love and marry Tia!  Now Tia might have a chance for Bachelorette?  No Colton and Tia!

Joe on dancing with the stars.  Well that tickles me.  I have entertained myself this Bachelor In Paradise season watching to see when Joe will look into the camera lens again and again!  

I would like to see both the Bachelor and Bachelorette go back to somebody fresh instead of this recycling.

• Love 2