Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, ByTor said:

So she lives with her parents now (assuming she didn't move to AZ yet)?  I thought maybe ABC knew Lauren was visiting her family & filmed the scenes there, her living there makes more sense.

In one of the post-show interviews they said that after they return from their trip abroad they're going to Virginia Beach, packing up Lauren's car, and driving to Scottsdale, so I took that to mean that Lauren's current residence is in Virginia Beach (with her parents), not Dallas.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Lauren lives in Dallas (far far from Virginia Beach where her parents live), has a good job, and is quite independent—not a secret, this was all presented on the show.

15 hours ago, fib said:

She LIVED in Dallas, where she moved to be with her ex fiance.

10 hours ago, ByTor said:

So she lives with her parents now (assuming she didn't move to AZ yet)?  I thought maybe ABC knew Lauren was visiting her family & filmed the scenes there, her living there makes more sense.

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

In one of the post-show interviews they said that after they return from their trip abroad they're going to Virginia Beach, packing up Lauren's car, and driving to Scottsdale, so I took that to mean that Lauren's current residence is in Virginia Beach (with her parents), not Dallas.

On the actual show, Lauren said (when Arie visited her after his 'epic' breakup with Becca) that she'd moved back in with her parents 'for a bit' after all the upset (being sent home, etc). She may have had a place she gave up to go on the show, or she was renting with friends in Dallas, who knows; but she made a point that she was not permanently living with her parents then.

I hope they write "Scottsdale, here we come!" in shaving cream on the back window of the car, maybe tie on a few tin cans, hahaha... Imagine if the dogs don't get on...

• Love 1

In a way, this all reminds me of the original "Heartbreak Kid" movie from the 1970s or 1980s.  Charles Grodin played the groom and while on his honeymoon he meets Cybil Shepard who is aloof and unattainable.  He jumps through hoops, etc. chasing her.  He divorces and then marries the Cybil Shepard character.  Almost immediately he experiences the end of the chase and realizes what he now has won't make him happy.  I feel like that scenario may eventually play out with Arie and Lauren.

• Love 6
On 3/11/2018 at 7:59 PM, woodscommaelle said:

I'd take a hundred Ashley I's  over one Bekah.  All day every day. 

I'm the exact opposite. While I'm kinda neutral about Bekah (I both really enjoy and am really annoyed by various aspects of Bekah's onscreen prescence so I basically average out my reactions to = neutral), I hate Ashley I.

I find her to be a cartoonish, calculating, manipulative and absolute bitch time and time again. Her attacks on assorted women (including Whitney, Claire and Caila) are pretty obnoxious.

And...The constant crying, the V-card, the caked on makeup, the eternal-ness of her internal 15 year old ...enough?

I really wish her relationship with Kevin had worked out because then I could count on seeing less of her and her overly done lips and on cue sobbing.

Edited by nicgwatchingtv
  • Love 14
13 minutes ago, nicgwatchingtv said:

The constant crying

IMO the laugh-crying is even worse.

She attacked Whitney?  As in the Whitney who "won" the Chris S season?  Geez, what's up with that, I didn't think anyone had a problem with Whitney.

• Love 3
On 2/27/2018 at 9:47 PM, JenE4 said:

OMG. We need to have a book club with this inside the Bachelor expose!

https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/the-std-that-keeps-most-contestants-from-competing-on-the-bachelor/

Read the book.  Lots and lots of filler.  A few interesting tidbits from Sharleen Joynt and Chris Bukowski.  She talks about how those talking heads (ITMs - In the Moments, the show calls them) can take from 20 minutes to an hour as they use varying techniques to get you to say what they want you to say and/or cry.  She all talked about the "girl talks" (or "boy talks in the Bachelorette") where the contestants are asked "who wants to be part of a girl talk?"  Sharleen always said no until there got to be so few people left that she had to, but lots of contestants want to participate because it means more screen time.  Then the producers give them the topics and direct the discussion "don't you just hate that so and so got that date?"

Chris talked about how it's impacted his life and how he kept going on to try to re-hab his image.  When he left BiP the first time on crutches he that woman to go with him (Elise??) The actual relationship barely survived until the plane landed in Chicago, but the show tried to convince him to propose and promised him a big on screen wedding next year. 

One other interesting bit:  the night before the proposal, Sean Lowe started freaking out and insisted he needed 15 minutes with Catherine.  He finally got them tot agree and he went to Catherine laid out that he needed a marriage firmly grounded in love of Jesus.  Catherine was steamed that they hadn't had that discussion earlier, but in the end, was glad that they had it before the proposal.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Read the book.  Lots and lots of filler.  A few interesting tidbits from Sharleen Joynt and Chris Bukowski.  She talks about how those talking heads (ITMs - In the Moments, the show calls them) can take from 20 minutes to an hour as they use varying techniques to get you to say what they want you to say and/or cry.  She all talked about the "girl talks" (or "boy talks in the Bachelorette") where the contestants are asked "who wants to be part of a girl talk?"  Sharleen always said no until there got to be so few people left that she had to, but lots of contestants want to participate because it means more screen time.  Then the producers give them the topics and direct the discussion "don't you just hate that so and so got that date?"

Chris talked about how it's impacted his life and how he kept going on to try to re-hab his image.  When he left BiP the first time on crutches he that woman to go with him (Elise??) The actual relationship barely survived until the plane landed in Chicago, but the show tried to convince him to propose and promised him a big on screen wedding next year. 

One other interesting bit:  the night before the proposal, Sean Lowe started freaking out and insisted he needed 15 minutes with Catherine.  He finally got them tot agree and he went to Catherine laid out that he needed a marriage firmly grounded in love of Jesus.  Catherine was steamed that they hadn't had that discussion earlier, but in the end, was glad that they had it before the proposal.  

Thanks for taking one for the team, Del, and providing the book jacket highlights!

• Love 1

That actually makes me like Sean Lowe a bit more. The fact that he was able to take a step out of the bachelor bubble for a moment to realize he hadn't discussed something that is VERY important to him and didn't want to propose without talking about it. Shows that, even with the Stockholminess of being on the show still with him he took proposing very seriously.

Interesting that they wanted Bukowski to propose. YIKES! No wonder the weaker willed contestants get so caught up in it all. They are being made promises if they deliver the fairytale, no matter how fake it might be. Makes me wonder what Arie was offered to force him to propose rather than say he was still torn at the end. Because he was clearly not ready to propose, certainly not to Becca if he was still dreaming of Lauren. Yet he did. He does come across as weak willed so it makes sense he would give them what they wanted.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

That actually makes me like Sean Lowe a bit more. The fact that he was able to take a step out of the bachelor bubble for a moment to realize he hadn't discussed something that is VERY important to him and didn't want to propose without talking about it. Shows that, even with the Stockholminess of being on the show still with him he took proposing very seriously.

Agreed. That's usually a super important conversation. Considering its importance, it's a bit surprising that it took him until the last second to have it, but I guess there are loads of people who meet, date, and get married in the usual way who also fail to have some of the really important conversations, so I suppose I can see how it might slip through the cracks in this situation. Either way, good for him.

• Love 2

In the book, the author confirmed what we all suspected "Franken Comments" where they take what you said and remove a few words, "Oh, I could never hate her." becomes "Oh, I hate her." with the removal of a few words.

So, yes, you can be shown on screen saying things you never really said.  Or in a different context

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Read the book.  Lots and lots of filler.  A few interesting tidbits

I'm only half-way through, but that's my impression as well. The first 100 pages or so read like a college term paper on popular culture, but after that it gets a bit more relevant and juicy.

• Love 4

The Chris Bukowski stuff was particularly interesting. He “kept going on to rehab his reputation”, but apperntly never bothered to... say not get completely wasted before filming even began?  Smh.  I find the notes that  “these people are scrupulously background checked” juxtaposed to the signs of clear problem drinking among several cast members, especially since we know a few, like Bachelorette Meredith, are alcoholics, concerning

• Love 1
On 3/16/2018 at 12:43 PM, DEL901 said:

In the book, the author confirmed what we all suspected "Franken Comments" where they take what you said and remove a few words, "Oh, I could never hate her." becomes "Oh, I hate her." with the removal of a few words.

So, yes, you can be shown on screen saying things you never really said.  Or in a different context

On Sharleen’s blog she will often point out Frankenbiting as well as other misleading editing. One of the interesting things she noticed about Krystal this season was how we actually got to see her say most of her scathing comments, whereas with Olivia or Corinne the camera would cut away and go to voiceover, allowing the editors to mix and match statements or to put comments from one spot into another. 

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, fib said:

I find the notes that  “these people are scrupulously background checked” juxtaposed to the signs of clear problem drinking among several cast members, especially since we know a few, like Bachelorette Meredith, are alcoholics, concerning

I think it's  more like, "these people are scrupulously background checked to make sure they tend to overdrink and do foolish things like take off their clothes and jump in the pool."

• Love 9
On 3/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, ByTor said:

IMO the laugh-crying is even worse.

She attacked Whitney?  As in the Whitney who "won" the Chris S season?  Geez, what's up with that, I didn't think anyone had a problem with Whitney.

Yeah, she did. It was awhile ago so I don't really remember the details and, of course, the focus at the time was on Kelsey Poe and the villainy that was coming from that corner of the cast.

But at one point a bunch of the women were shown walking in a hallway and Ashley I was loudly discussing how Whitney wasn't good enough to be an actual threat and how pissed she (Ashley I) was that Whitney, of all people, had gotten specific, positive attention (not sure now what that was-but I'd guess that W had probably gotten a rose on a group date that inc both women).

And while Ashley was going on and on about this, Whitney was right there, walking w/ with the group. Not right beside Ashley but obviously within hearing distance--and Ashley knew that. 

I don't remember if we were shown other examples of this exact behavior during Chris's season but it was just such a basic mean girl, attacking bitch moment.

And then she goes onto Paradise, etc and it becomes clear that that behavior is very much a regular thing with her. Thank god Bibiana and she found different guys to focus on during BWG or we would have seen her flying at Bibi in the same way. Although B would have probably attacked right back (which, as far as we ever saw, Whitney, Calia and Claire did not do).

Edited by nicgwatchingtv
  • Love 3
On 3/14/2018 at 2:54 PM, valen said:

Arie and Lauren are in Iceland on vacation and are sharing pictures on social media. They look pretty happy, at least for the moment.

Ugh.  First the real harpies of the OC and now possum went a courting and his dull bride.  I am sorry Iceland.  I hope you jacked your rates up!

• Love 2
On 20/03/2018 at 6:03 PM, chocolatine said:

The Kardashians went there too, I think. Can't get more déclassé than that.

As for Arie and Lauren, she praised him for taking good Instagram pics of her. Glad their connection is as deep and profound as ever.

Maybe Icelanders are going full tilt on the tourism trade. The Amazing Race went there this year as well. I have always wanted to visit and there are probably a lot more opportunities with places to stay and more flights.

Oh and have they broken up yet? It's been almost two months I think, so we're overdue for that one. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, PreBabylonia said:

Maybe Icelanders are going full tilt on the tourism trade. The Amazing Race went there this year as well. I have always wanted to visit and there are probably a lot more opportunities with places to stay and more flights.

I know two people who go to Iceland every year.  One of them is quite a photography buff, and he says there is amazing scenery to shoot everywhere.

• Love 1

So Arie tweeted a pic of a baby bump and said "Secrets finally out, we have a bunny in the oven!"

Can't tell if it's serious or an April Fool's joke. He's getting kind of skewered on the post from those with miscarriage/fertility problems for treating it like a punchline. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, scribe95 said:

So Arie tweeted a pic of a baby bump and said "Secrets finally out, we have a bunny in the oven!"

Can't tell if it's serious or an April Fool's joke. He's getting kind of skewered on the post from those with miscarriage/fertility problems for treating it like a punchline. 

He posted a follow-up saying April Fool's. A bit tone-deaf of him considering he was oh-so-upset when his ex had a miscarriage.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 12

What a creative April Fools joke.  Oh wait.   no its not.  I think I pulled that one when I was 17. 

A good joke would have been him posting a pic of some sleuther’s pic of production of Becca’s season of the Bachelorette, with a “Changed my mind again - here we go” caption.  

But I doubt Lauren would find that as funny as I would :-)

• Love 6
On 3/20/2018 at 5:03 PM, chocolatine said:

The Kardashians went there too, I think. Can't get more déclassé than that.

As for Arie and Lauren, she praised him for taking good Instagram pics of her. Glad their connection is as deep and profound as ever.

The tagline "too glam to give a damn" is gross. It definitely makes it feel like she's in it for the fame and attention. I read another article that showed an instagram picture of her and her dog all loaded up in a car. Supposedly they are doing a cross country road trip to move her to his house.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Now now, don’t be a glam shamer. ;)

I fat shamed the cat, so he puked by my bed.  Shaming has consequences.  I hear glam shaming may get you a head shave. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Mu Shu said:

I fat shamed the cat, so he puked by my bed.

I fat shame my dog all the time. He just looks at me wondering if I'm going to feed him.

"we're pregnant" is a lame April Fools. How dumb are these two? Or are they hoping to generate enough buzz to get people talking and keep them relevant? Because, I kind of forgot about them already.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

Because, I kind of forgot about them already.

Yeah I saw "Arie" and thought "who the hell is that? Must be one of those guys from before I started watching..."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Yeah I saw "Arie" and thought "who the hell is that? Must be one of those guys from before I started watching..."

You're not entirely wrong. I mean, they did dig him up out of the Bachelor Graveyard. haha

• Love 3

Sean & Cat did an April Fool's Day fake pregnancy "announcement" a few years back & got slammed in the media....None of these people are very bright, and I imagine there are thousands of "normal" people who do the same, stupid gag every year too.  We just don't hear about them because they aren't reality TV folks.     

• Love 1

I'm the last one to defend these two vacant fools, but they weren't mocking infertility. I think they were doing a play on the "Lauren's pregnant, so that's why he dumped Becca/biggest ATFR ever shocker" rumors.

Or they could just be clueless. Never know. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, dbell1 said:

I'm the last one to defend these two vacant fools, but they weren't mocking infertility. I think they were doing a play on the "Lauren's pregnant, so that's why he dumped Becca/biggest ATFR ever shocker" rumors.

Or they could just be clueless. Never know. 

I'm pretty sure that very few, if any, people who post jokes like that are intending to mock infertility. No matter the intentions, though, it is treating pregnancy very lightly, which is often highly upsetting for people who are struggling with it. And one has to basically live under a rock not to get that at this point. So although I have no doubt that they had no intention of hurting or upsetting anyone, they need to get their heads out of their asses if they expect not to get raked over the coals for stuff like this.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

So although I have no doubt that they had no intention of hurting or upsetting anyone, they need to get their heads out of their asses if they expect not to get raked over the coals for stuff like this.

Exactly. They chose to put themselves in the public eye, and choose to broadcast stupid shit like this to masses of strangers. They should be more careful about what they say and do if they care about hurting or upsetting people. I don't actually think they care either way because they seem like two of the most narcissistic people to grace this show (and that is saying something) but I don't think they meant it as anything but a joke. It was just a really stupid one.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Have people become so easily offended that an analysis needs to be done before posting a stupid April Fools joke?

If you make your living from social media, then yes, you do need to think carefully about what you post. I agree that many people on social media are too easily offended, but if your earning potential is tied to your followers, you do need to cater to their sensibilities.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

If you make your living from social media, then yes, you do need to think carefully about what you post. I agree that many people on social media are too easily offended, but if your earning potential is tied to your followers, you do need to cater to their sensibilities.

The problem with that is, with so many people offended by so much, there is no way to know what the majority of people's sensibilities even are.  Of course I'm not talking about things like racism or homophobia, or anything else that promotes hatred or cruelty, but I wouldn't even think that a stupid joke about being pregnant would be offensive.  What's next, if you complain on social media about being stung by a bee, you'll have to worry about being blasted as a beekeeper shamer?  This "I'm offended" stuff is getting out of control IMO.

• Love 16

I think people just like being upset, outraged, worked up about things and the internet is the perfect outlet for that. Just look at the comments on a Facebook page. OMG. It makes me weep for humanity. Latest one I saw was for a woman who was giving away free prom dresses in honor of the daughter she lost, I think it was to an accident, don't remember the details. But this woman is literally giving nice things to people in need, and there were negative comments about it. What is wrong with people?

So of course people are going to be up in arms about a fake pregnancy announcement. The thing is, I doubt the majority of those complaining are the actual ones who may have had some painful memories dredged up. They probably just ignored it, or at worst/best, depends how you look at it, unfollowed him. I just feel like those who are most vocal are usually not personally effected by the slight. Social media makes it easy to attack or be a vigilante of made up injustices.

But we have also raised at least one generation of special little snowflakes who don't know what it really feels like to be offended by something that is actually offensive.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I think people just like being upset, outraged, worked up about things and the internet is the perfect outlet for that. Just look at the comments on a Facebook page. OMG. It makes me weep for humanity. Latest one I saw was for a woman who was giving away free prom dresses in honor of the daughter she lost, I think it was to an accident, don't remember the details. But this woman is literally giving nice things to people in need, and there were negative comments about it. What is wrong with people?

So of course people are going to be up in arms about a fake pregnancy announcement. The thing is, I doubt the majority of those complaining are the actual ones who may have had some painful memories dredged up. They probably just ignored it, or at worst/best, depends how you look at it, unfollowed him. I just feel like those who are most vocal are usually not personally effected by the slight. Social media makes it easy to attack or be a vigilante of made up injustices.

But we have also raised at least one generation of special little snowflakes who don't know what it really feels like to be offended by something that is actually offensive.

I think I love you!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I agreed with you up until this line. I am so tired of "special snowflakes" and "millennials" being blamed for everything that's wrong in this world. I read the comments lots of places, and old geezers are plenty capable of stupid statements, flat out falsehoods, and spreading urban legends and conspiracy theories. There's plenty of stupid to go around.

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I agreed with you up until this line. I am so tired of "special snowflakes" and "millennials" being blamed for everything that's wrong in this world.

I actually blame their parents and society for raising them in a bubble where everyone gets an award just for showing up because no one wanted to hurt their feelings as kids and wanted them to grow up feeling good about themselves.

Noot everyone within the "millennial" age group was raised that way just like not all "old geezers" blame them for everything. I know some very smart, hard working twenty somethings, who work towards their goals and live outside of the internet, but I also know a lot who expect to get everything they want in life because they were told if they want something badly enough they will get it, without the caveat that they actually have to work hard for it, and not everyone will get everything they want. Sadly, those are also the "faces" of the generation because they are more concerned with being seen than pretty much anything. 

I have never thought every person in a generation is the same. Not everyone from the WWII era was a hero. I don't even really know what my generation was known for. Being slackers maybe? I just looked it up, Gen X, skeptical. That's actually pretty accurate. hahaha

It also cracks me up that anytime anyone says anything even remotely negative about "millennials" someone inevitably cries about them being blamed for everything. Not saying you were crying, just an observation about everything I've ever seen whenever someone talks about millennials as anything less than great. Literally, every single time. It's funny, really. Cause it kind of proves the point. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

The problem with that is, with so many people offended by so much, there is no way to know what the majority of people's sensibilities even are.  Of course I'm not talking about things like racism or homophobia, or anything else that promotes hatred or cruelty, but I wouldn't even think that a stupid joke about being pregnant would be offensive.  What's next, if you complain on social media about being stung by a bee, you'll have to worry about being blasted as a beekeeper shamer?  This "I'm offended" stuff is getting out of control IMO.

For better or worse, this is about social media.  Because of social media, Lauren and Arie can pull this stupid prank on a lot of people.  Because of social media, those followers can share their feelings about the prank...often sharing thoughts they couldn't share with loved ones who might do a similar prank. Sadness due to infertility isn't new.  Feeling upset that an announced pregnancy is a joke isn't new.  So I doubt these feelings are new feelings but rather people are able to share them easier online. 

And that's what you get when you share with a larger group--more reactions.  Heck, that's how individuals eventually get confronted with their prejudices. In an insular group, people might not take issue with racist expressions or homophobia but as a person gets to know more people, they will eventually run into one willing to say "that's not cool."

I'm not offended by the joke.  I would be if I thought they were clever people because that prank is so not intriguing or inventive but I don't expect better from them.

5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I think it's so easy to assume people who act like teenagers are teenagers but they are so often not.  To a surprising degree. Like I said, these feelings aren't new--the ability to share them is.

1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

It also cracks me up that anytime anyone says anything even remotely negative about "millennials" someone inevitably cries about them being blamed for everything. Not saying you were crying, just an observation about everything I've ever seen whenever someone talks about millennials as anything less than great. Literally, every single time. It's funny, really. Cause it kind of proves the point. 

I think saying that they're blamed for everything is intentional hyperbole but people do blame milennials for a ridiculous amount. There's a cottage industry writing about/researching them. What cracks me up is that the people who trash milennials once belonged to a generation who was seen by their elders as worthless, not getting it or the downfall of society.  Instead of learning from being part of that attitude, they just perpetuate it on younger generations.  Heck, I don't even think a lot of older generations can even define who milennials are.  And milennials?  They'll likely do the same as generations younger than they are get older. And so it goes...and so it goes. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

For better or worse, this is about social media.  Because of social media, Lauren and Arie can pull this stupid prank on a lot of people.  Because of social media, those followers can share their feelings about the prank...often sharing thoughts they couldn't share with loved ones who might do a similar prank. Sadness due to infertility isn't new.  Feeling upset that an announced pregnancy is a joke isn't new.  So I doubt these feelings are new feelings but rather people are able to share them easier online. 

People being sad about lots of things isn't new, but IMO having to worry about offending every person over any thing they may be sad about is getting out of hand.

I'm not offended by the joke.

Neither was I.  I don't think there was anything funny about it....not because it was "offensive", but because it wasn't funny.

Heck, that's how individuals eventually get confronted with their prejudices. In an insular group, people might not take issue with racist expressions or homophobia but as a person gets to know more people, they will eventually run into one willing to say "that's not cool."

Even in an insular group, I don't buy that such people don't know racism "isn't cool."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Neither was I.  I don't think there was anything funny about it....not because it was "offensive", but because it wasn't funny.

I was offended by how unfunny it was! haha I had heard rumors that Arie was witty so it was offensive how lame that "joke" was.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Now?  No.  But in the past? Yes.

Yeah, I agree with you there, but I thought you were talking about people being that way currently in relation to social media.