Type keyword(s) to search

Tomorrow Today: Media & Behind The Scenes Of LOT

• Start Topic

(edited)

These new production rules will definitely affect the look and content of Legends...

Warner Bros. TV Presidents Outline How Coronavirus Could Dramatically Change Production and Content (EXCLUSIVE)
By Kate Aurthur   May 1, 2020
https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/television-production-warner-bros-coronavirus-1234595453/

... While the Warner Bros. presidents were mostly speaking hypothetically, the call shed light on some unexpected ways in which the coronavirus might change television, down to its plots. One such example: There was a suggestion that love scenes might need to be eliminated, because actors won’t want to be in close contact. The same was said of fight scenes that would require stunt doubles to violate the rules of social distancing.  
Since showrunners and executive producers were on the call, Rovner and Paul made a number of suggestions that will affect storytelling. For intimate scenes, Rovner said “we believe we’re going to need a plan for limited physical contact between actors,” and “intimate scenes may need to be reimagined or even reconceived.” Close-up stunts will also be affected, Paul said — stunts that are “hand to hand, face to face, requiring physical contact” like fight scenes, will probably have to be axed. But larger stunts from at least six feet away “may still be OK,” he added.
The Ferguson/Kavanaugh-Jones proposal is calamitous for guest actors and day players, rigidly specifying “there will be no day players.” The Warner Bros. presidents were not as draconian, but Rovner did say “we need to look at limiting the amount of guest actors.” But with crowd scenes, she said, “We believe it’s going to be very hard to have big scenes with many extras, both because of social distancing and because of local rules of how many people can congregate at one time.” She suggested writers work around crowd scenes, or, alternatively, use visual effects to create or add to them. 

As far as shooting goes, Paul said that outdoor locations might be limited, and getting permits will likely be more difficult. He suggested creating stories that use more of a show’s permanent sets or “swing sets” (sets built for a specific episode). He said that crew size will be determined by “social distancing requirements,” but didn’t get into specifics. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Pics for #512 “Freaks and Greeks” (DCLegendsTV)

SISTERHOOD — The Legends find themselves going back to college and form a sorority in order to try to retrieve an ancient artifact called the Chalice of Dionyus that will help Charlie (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) operate the Loom of Fate. Proud to be back at his college, Nate (Nick Zano) falls under Dion’s spell, letting him know of Sara (Caity Lotz), Astra (Olivia Swann), Ava (Jes Macallan) and Charlie’s plan to get the cup. Meanwhile, on a father-daughter weekend, Rory (Dominic Purcell) takes Lita (guest star Mina Sundwall) on a college tour, but Rory bails on Lita for an unexpected reason. Tala Ashe and Matt Ryan also star. Nico Sachse directed the episode written by Matthew Maala & Ubah Mohamed (#512). Original airdate 5/12/2020.

1D5A8959-5805-49F9-A92B-7930F7D4B07F.jpeg

5E904972-60CA-4D77-8B34-AE4A3B6484D8.jpeg

CA9826CD-7C6E-477E-8449-BB8607E8E55E.jpeg

39E0F8D6-2ECA-42D4-859C-FB075EE79A52.jpeg

09541F79-69D1-415C-B3DB-232EB83F3B5E.jpeg

4BBCA396-6066-4D72-B478-33DB8669426E.jpeg

35AB0F81-199E-4F9A-ADC1-09A9695CAB3D.jpeg

8D21B635-6925-481D-A702-015EC59C01C1.jpeg

39BA2FED-8E88-4E49-8964-0F353B33E81F.jpeg

178976DB-1957-4E43-A590-EDE95B17D70E.jpeg

94648928-1EE8-45A0-909E-03E5C72F0F38.jpeg

D0D47933-0279-4680-B012-B660B54F044D.jpeg

48AA8384-EA47-444B-A213-22E03E292C96.jpeg

4C2C2895-15E2-4CCA-9D2A-2D018307E48A.jpeg

68DB40C1-C461-4989-B537-D7B32A2711E5.jpeg

37153924-F56E-4554-85AD-6D5617166C6A.jpeg

C816C787-8FA4-4E31-83AA-980F038B2E97.jpeg

A8F16E19-A903-47DA-9705-7ED353360273.jpeg

2A092C9B-B124-4E71-BC99-9D5833CDE35D.jpeg

51F29456-91B4-4B14-ABBB-8ED9F810E956.jpeg

2D7A11FE-12B1-435B-A084-EEAD6FFB2895.jpeg

85727418-FDFB-418D-9D06-DB71521814FC.jpeg

0DEFE268-0303-4E08-BE30-A4FB617DF043.jpeg

0A1AC314-3D9C-4022-BB7E-F542917CD4DC.jpeg

• Love 1

Official description for #513 “I Am Legends” (DCLegendsTV)

STICKING TOGETHER – After drinking from Chalice, the Legends have immortality for 24 hours, which gives them time get to the Waverider and use the Loom of Fate. However, they quickly discover that the sisters have stolen the Waverider and they are stuck at Constantine’s (Matt Ryan) house in the middle of nowhere in London during a Zombie Apocalypse. Meanwhile, Gary (guest star Adam Tsekham) is left on the ship and once he discovers what is going on, he takes something important to the sisters. Caity Lotz, Dominic Purcell, Nick Zano, Maisie Richardson-Sellers, Jes Macallan, Tala Ashe and Olivia Swann also star. Andrew Kasch directed the episode written by Keah Poulliot & Emily Cheever (#513).  Original airdate 5/19/2020. 

• Love 1

I am not sure if this is considered spoilers or not, since it’s not part of an official release yet, but here’s the titles for #514 and #515, the last two episodes of the season:

Spoiler

#514 - The One Where We’re Trapped On TV (source)

#515 - Swan Thong (source)

• Love 1
(edited)

Later today - fyi, I believe that this live streaming event is free to watch (just go to the site link below)...

Virtual Pop Expo, May 9-10, 2020 (live streaming)
Marc Guggenheim and James Bamford
https://www.virtualpopexpo.com
Schedule
-Sat. (5/9) @ 3:40pm PST - DC's Arrowverse

Join hosts Jay Washington and Jessica Chancellor as they sit down with show-runner Marc Guggenheim and director James Bamford who've helped shape Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and Batwoman! Discuss epic cross-over events, the future of the DC television universe and what legendary comic events that may yet unfold on screen!

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

the future of the DC television universe and what legendary comic events that may yet unfold on screen!

Just please never Identity Crisis. There is zero reason to do that story. Plus I see real "Thin Man" potential with this Ralph and Sue.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

BR and CF just joined this con...

HomeCon: 2nd Edition (Virtual Event), May 16-17, 2020 (Twitch streaming)
Brandon Routh, Courtney Ford, Rachel Skarsten and Kris Holden-Ried
https://homeconofficial.com/homepage-v2/

Rachel seems to be one of the principals behind it. They did a good job with their first outing last month.  The website is really, really poor, but all the important info seems to be on their Twitch channel.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hmm - HomeCon revamped its site and now BR & CF are no longer listed as guests for HomeCon 2...
https://homeconofficial.com/#guests 

HomeCon has been tweeting new guest announcements and BR & CF have not yet been announced on twitter. So maybe someone jumped the gun before and included them on the website before the announcements were made. Or maybe they're still pending. Or maybe they cancelled. I don't know.

https://twitter.com/homeconofficial

We'll have to check again closer to its May 16 date to see if they're put back on the guest list.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Doesn’t look like there’s going to be a sneak peek this week.  And we haven’t gotten the pics for next week’s episode either (we usually have them by now) so I guess the promo dept is running behind.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 1

Here they are.  Pics for #513 “I Am Legends” (DClegendsTV)

STICKING TOGETHER — After drinking from Chalice, the Legends have immortality for 24 hours, which gives them time get to the Waverider and use the Loom of Fate. However, they quickly discover that the sisters have stolen the Waverider and they are stuck at Constantine’s (Matt Ryan) house in the middle of nowhere in London during a Zombie Apocalypse. Meanwhile, Gary (guest star Adam Tsekham) is left on the ship and once he discovers what is going on, he takes something important to the sisters. Caity Lotz, Dominic Purcell, Nick Zano, Maisie Richardson-Sellers, Jes Macallan, Tala Ashe and Olivia Swann also star. Andrew Kasch directed the episode written by Keah Poulliot & Emily Cheever (#513). Original airdate 5/19/2020.

8E398CF6-BA27-4207-92D2-ED1EEFCC8496.jpeg

D845F69B-BCFD-4247-A9D3-8E710E7E2D77.jpeg

FB394BC3-8F51-403A-967E-44E039897BC6.jpeg

EB82186E-09A6-4BCA-837D-54D621997FE1.jpeg

D5E28A5F-ABA7-4856-9BE1-D5E56D53024E.jpeg

653816D6-E538-4E1B-9A85-AD5884380B9D.jpeg

DF8C81B0-F86A-452F-8182-11FBB8290E03.jpeg

E7736DCE-739D-403B-9762-119FCA773B12.jpeg

B75C448E-2031-4E0C-A728-210212816AB8.jpeg

B8E1C01D-C491-4288-BD63-797E43051A18.jpeg

2077E820-A4F0-46BD-9B4C-B4E59B890DC6.jpeg

612B3E0E-8C2D-4973-9AE0-7AB69967647E.jpeg

09EA77A0-6E4A-47A4-A6F5-8F8C9B8906BC.jpeg

E04EC9F7-DEBD-4005-A31C-15E975EB9605.jpeg

CCDA1695-1958-47CB-9DC7-AD257836C9EE.jpeg

178DD4A7-D508-48FE-B30E-024045D4D475.jpeg

A48BB071-9649-4397-9D12-E23E88B04D65.jpeg

D47F351C-59C6-4008-8229-3EEF9C060E6A.jpeg

• Love 1
(edited)

Official episode description for #514 “The One Where We’re Trapped On TV” (DCLegendsTV)

BREAKING FREE – After Charlie (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) does the one thing that goes against her nature when it comes to her sisters, she tries to protect the Legends by scattering them in different television shows. Of course, in true Legends style some can’t just be blissfully ignorant and happy but figure out a way to end up messing with the system. Caity Lotz, Jes Macallan, Dominic Purcell, Nick Zano, Tala Ashe, Olivia Swann and Matt Ryan also star. Marc Guggenheim directed the episode written by Grainne Godfree & James Eagan (#514).  Original airdate 5/26/2020. 

There were some clips from this one in the season 5B trailer.  The pics should be good.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

According to TVLine, all these shows are being held (Supergirl due to Melissa Benoist‘s pregnancy, apparently).

DE226DFC-9AA8-4E35-A190-445C0B4B3190.jpeg

According to Deadline:

“The CW will start its new season in January 2021 when we will launch our regular primetime schedule,” the CW President Mark Pedowitz said at the top of the network’s press call today.

The late start of the season will not impact the size of the orders, with series still producing seasons of lengths in line of what they typically do, from 13 to 22 episodes, depending on the show. That will stretch the season to July-August (with a May “midseason”), making for a very short summer break until the CW’s 2021-22 season starts in October as usual. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Legends was a mid season show this year as well so no shock there. Though with everything delayed, it'll probably premiere in late April or May, so a year from now 😞

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1
(edited)

^^^ Here are my transcriptions from CL's appearance on SA's podcast yesterday...

-- SA confirmed that CL did a chemistry read with him before being cast on Arrow.
SA: "I came to know you for the first time for your role in Mad Men. I'm sure that there was plenty of things you did before that. But then you and I met, uh, in a parking lot outside of the Burbank Studios when you were doing a chemistry read with me for Sara Lance. You came on and you were my partner in crime for all of season 2... I know season 2 for sure, but then I'm just making sure I - I'm correct when we dropped you off a roof, uh, season 3, right?"
CL: "I think it was the first episode of season 3."
SA: "First episode of season 3. Shot ya, threw ya off a roof."
CL: "Yeah, they really were like, let's make sure she's dead. Like, hit the dumpster. Like, shot one, two, three, at least three arrows. Throw her off the roof. Land on the dumpster. And then the cement."
SA: "Yeah, for sure. And then definitely get the shot with the eyes just - (Holds his eyes open and unseeing) wide open. So we went - we went from that."

-- CL described her career journey from dancer to actor:
SA: "But then, all of a sudden in season 4, they started kicking around the idea about a show called Legends of Tomorrow and miraculously Sara Lance came back from the dead via the Lazarus Pit. And since then you have established yourself, in my opinion, as the lead character on that show. You guys are several seasons in, um, and, um, again, you're the lead on a show in an incredibly competitive industry. How'd you do it?"
CL: "'How'd you do it?' (Laughs) Um, gosh, that's a great question."
SA: "Well, begin at the beginning."
CL: "So I started as a professional dancer. That's the reason that I came to L.A. I started dancing professionally when I was 17. Um, I started dancing when I was 7 and then professionally at 17. I never really knew that I could have like a job as an artist. I didn't know that. I didn't know anybody in the industry. Um, but then I started working and making money dancing and I basically this whole time is just, I've followed what I'm passionate about. I followed what I've been curious. Um, and I think the key with that is, when you really love something and you're passionate about it, you're willing to put in all the work. I don't think I was like naturally just gifted at certain things, but I just work my ass off to become very good at whatever it was, and that was easy because I loved it. So dancing led me and then I had a short stint in a girl - girl group, singing over in Europe. And then I came back -"
SA: "Wait, don't - don't gloss over that, please... Explain that one for a second before you keep going on the story."
CL: "Um, yeah, I just - I had this opportunity to move to Berlin to be in a singing group and one of my best friends was doing it. She was going and, you know, they were like, ‘come, come do it.’ And I'm like, ‘I don't sing.’ And they're like, ‘it's okay, you can be like the sexy talker, the rapper.’ And I was like, ‘cool, yeah, I'll spin on my head, let's do it.’ Um, and so I moved to Berlin and I was there for two years, uh, touring around Europe. And it was - was a fun time and I think actually that was a big thing that because I was supposed to go - I was gonna go to UCLA and maybe be a psychologist or something, I don't know, but this made me realize that I could live a lie as an artist. Um, and when I came back, uh, I was dancing with Lady Gaga and toured with Avril Lavigne. And then I started taking acting classes. So I was like, oh, dancing doesn't feel the same and I was really interested in acting. Um, and then I - Mad Men was my first job. And so then that led me to that and it's - I've just been, I guess, following what I love and also not doubting myself. I've never been worried about failing or not failing or being the best. It's - I just do it because I love it and that makes it much simpler. Um, and it makes you - what made me able to be more fearless in whatever endeavor I was going after. And now my - uh, a lot of my creative focus and excitement is turning towards directing. So hopefully I'll be doing a lot more of that."

-- CL said that she'll be directing another Legends episode next season.
SA: "Well, again, don't gloss over that, because you directed an episode of Legends this year."
CL: "Yeah. And I - I talked to our showrunner and they want me to do another one next season, which is a good sign."
SA: "Do you mean that you demanded that you get to do another one next season?"
CL: "No. I asked. I genuinely asked."

-- CL said that dancing career was harder than acting career.
Drew: "So what's harder? The - the dancing career or the acting career, in terms of just -"
CL: "Dancing."
Drew: "Dancing for sure. I figured."
SA: "Okay. Why?"
CL: "I mean, it's definitely like -"
Drew: "You work your ass off, like physically hard, right? Not that actors don't."
CL: "[Unintelligible words] get treated like shit."
SA: "Okay. There it is. Okay."
CL: "Nobody - nobody really cares it's - I mean, dance has become more popular now, but they never got a - because you were always behind something. Like, you were backup dancing for an artist or you're in a commercial for a product. Uh, usually you're not the center of focus. Um, and - and it just is really taxing on your body, and the money is nowhere near as good as, uh, acting, that's for sure."
SA: "Also, I feel like they would treat you like you're eminently replaceable."
CL: "Yes. Yeah... Then it's like, you know, a lot of times dancers are young as well and it's, you know, they're - it's easier to push - push them around than it is an actor, where you need their face."

-- CL explained the Warner Brothers/Greg Berlanti requirements for being given the opportunity to direct a television episode.
SA: "So on the directing front, for people who don't know, if you're an actor on a television show with an interest in directing, specifically, actually, working for Warner Brothers, take us through that process. What do you have to do in order for everyone involved in the show to be comfortable giving you an episode to direct?"
CL: "Well, Berlanti has, um, established like pretty clear guidelines and things that need to happen. So you have to do the Warner Brothers directing program, which is an awesome course that focuses specially on - it's not really teaching you how to be a director. You go to this course already knowing how to be a director. It's teaching you specifically directing television and how to work within that framework. There's a lot of feature directors that then go through the program to get into it. And in order to get into that program, you have to had directed a narrative short. Um, so directed a short film. Uh, I wrote, produced and directed it. And then I took the Warner Brothers program. And then the other requirement is two shadows. You need to shadow twice, which is - it's actually a pretty big commitment because you're there -"
SA: "Yeah, explain the shadowing - the process of shadowing a director."
CL: "So you - you have to be there with the director from start to finish. So it's not just the nine days of production. It's also the prep beforehand and the post afterwards. So however long, I guess it's - it's just under like two weeks, I think, actually maybe you get seven or eight work days of prep and you're with the director throughout the entire process, which is all day into the night. And if you're shadowing James Bamford, also on the weekends, um, going with him to locations as he shot lifts... It's actually, uh, pretty awesome how seriously he takes - when he takes on a shadow, he really invests in them and makes an effort to teach them, um, and share with them what he's doing. Uh, so that was - I shadowed Bam on Arrow on the Arrow finale, which was a big one. And it was great and actually quite interesting too. You learn a lot about acting through that process and - and also it just was really nice, you get to know the crew so wonderfully when you're not the actor and - but you're as involved. Um, and then I shadowed on the premiere of Legends, um, was my second one."
SA: "Who'd you shadow there?"
CL: "Kevin Mock, who's our producing director... And that was an interesting episode, too, because it was basically like a Spinal Tap type episode, a mockumentary, so that was, uh - that was pretty - that was pretty interesting."
(Some talk about a new director being dropped into a serialized TV show and adapting to that show's tone and style.)

-- CL explained when Legends of Tomorrow transitioned from its S1 style to its current ever-changing style.
CL: "Season 1 was - it was really like trying to just be like the other Arrowverse shows a bit... And then I think season 2 is when it started finding its voice. And then season 3 is when it was like, oh, this is it. We definitely had like a jump the shark moment. I remember it very specifically. We were in the Viking time and then there was - this was the first appearance of Beebo, which was like - we're like - this Tickle Me Elmo doll, and, you know, it was like - we were dressed as Vikings and they're carrying out this Tickle Me Elmo doll that's like talking and all of the Vikings think it's a god. And we're like, okay, we - we might've just jumped the shark. Like, this - it's over. Like, say good-bye to your career. The show is over. And then it worked."

-- CL confirmed that Legends had finished production for the season before the coronavirus shutdown.
SA: "Where were you guys in the production schedule of Legends when all of this went down?"
CL: "Finished."
SA: "Okay. I never know your production schedule because you guys don't do the same number of episodes. But you guys were done? So your season's in the can?"
CL: "Yes. We're totally done, which was great. It didn't, you know - now they're talking about when we're gonna be able to go back and film and also what's that gonna look like. Are we going to be quarantined up there, stuck up there? How's that going to affect directors? Are we going to be able to have different directors? Are they going to be able to fly over the border? Are they going to have to quarantine? Like, it's a - it's a very curious time."

-- CL described some of her memories from shooting season 2 of Arrow.
SA: "What are some of your memories, specifically from season 2 of Arrow, because you and I were ride-or-die for that entire season? I worked with you, I think, more than I worked with anyone else, because especially those - the days on the island - just us, just out in the wilderness."
CL: "Yeah, yeah. I remember some of the ones, I think that was the first - it was a particularly cold winter... and I was like this California girl, you know, coming up north, and - and I just remember being like, oh, like, it's snowing. Like, it's cancelled, right? Like we're not filming because it's too cold. And they're like, uh, no, put on that leather superhero suit and get out there. And I remember, like, I had a scene with Katrina where we like, we had to make out and it was so cold - you know when you're cold and your nose just runs?"
SA: "I will never forget this night for as long as I live. Go ahead."
CL: "And it was so cold, I think we were right by the water, and I just - I could not get the snot like, for both of us, we're having to kiss and it's just like, your noses are running like crazy, and it wasn't very cute."
SA: "Um, this was - this was maybe episode - this was like some mid - mid-season. It was the first appearance of Katrina Law as Nyssa al Ghul and this was like Friday night at like 3 o' clock in the morning. And Drew, it's snowed in Vancouver, it's rained in Vancouver the entirety of the time that I was there. This was the coldest that it has ever been in Vancouver. It was minus 11 or 12 Celsius, that we're talking like 10 degrees Fahrenheit... and Caity's having to walk up to Katrina, who - who, you know, has a - sort of her League of Assassins cloak on, but you were in a, like, a jean jacket and a tee shirt, okay? I'm - I'm well behind them in the - I'm well behind them in the Arrow suit with thermals underneath. And they kept coming up to me - the makeup department kept coming up to me and being like... kept touching me up, 'your nose is all read, your face is all red.' And I go, 'fix it in post, it's minus 14 f**kin Celsius out here, I'm freezing!'"
CL: "The best was, I remember getting a script and it was like, uh, 'Sara Lance swims out from - from the ocean and steps onto the shore.' And this is in the middle of winter and I'm like, 'what, what? What do you mean, I'm swimming like in there?' And they're like, 'yeah, we're gonna go to Squamish and like you're gonna have to get into water.' And I literally had a wetsuit on underneath my clothes. I looked like I gained like 30 pounds. And we had to get in the water and like full-on climb out onto the shore and it was like negative 8 degrees."
Drew: "What time of year was this? This was the middle of winter and they're putting you in the ocean?"
CL: "Yes."
Drew: "That's insane."
SA: "In the first season in episode 10 -"
Drew: "Can't they build you a tank, you know, on the soundstage?"
SA: "You know what? As a matter of fact, they can. And we've both done that because -"
CL: "I almost drowned in one of those."
SA: "Okay. Holy smokes."
CL: "They had - well, like, you know how they do the waves? Like, so they have a big tank and there's waves - so there's a wave machine and there's rain. And they're doing this overhead shot and I'm supposed to be like drowning, so like coming up from the water like "ahhhh' (Mimes gasping for air) and doing all of this (Waves her arms) and I went up and I went 'ahhhh' and a wave crashed... swallowed... and thank God they have a - like, a little guy in a scuba outfit underneath and he had to come save me. ... There was a lot of water stuff that season... Some of that stuff was really fun, though."
SA: "So I was just gonna say, just – and that actually leads me to one of my - one of my favorite days for a variety of reasons. But in episode 10 of season 1, Eagle Egilsson's first episode directing, they dropped me in a creek in - in basically 32-degree weather. And it was raining and it was cold, and I was wearing shorts and a tee shirt, my outfit for the first part of season 1 on the island. And I was able to psych myself up for it and fall in the creek for the first time. I actually really hurt my tailbone. I landed on a rock. That I could deal with. What I couldn't deal with was when he was like, 'alright, I want to get a slow-motion shot of you coming up out of the water, so you got to get back in now.' And I'm like, 'oh no, man, you got - you mean I gotta like dip myself back in this freezing stream and slowly come up and look like I'm calm?' 'Yeah, I gotta get it for my episode.' Okay, thank you very much. Uh, one of days that - that Caity was referring to, and this was my last day filming and, I think, the production's last day filming season 2, where we flooded the freighter. And they built a set and they put up barriers all around and there's water rushing in and we're - I'm - we're having these crazy fight scenes."
CL: "And sparks going off, like waterfall things."
SA: "It was a freighter that was off the shore of Lian Yu that was basically a major plot point of the season 2 flashbacks. ... Those were halcyon days. Those were good times. I really enjoyed them."
CL: "They were really fun. Yeah."

-- CL confirmed that, when she auditioned for Arrow, she was told that she wasn't CW material; and she also confirmed that she thought she was going to become a regular on Arrow before she was killed off.
CL: "And you know what else I would say too, in terms of like when Stephen, you were asking me how - how I did it. Uh, I've always felt like - a lot of people think, like, you - you go in and it's like, oh magic, like, you got it, you got this and you got this. And I don't - I don't think ever, even if - my advice to other people would be like, even if people don't see it in you right away, they don't, you know, say, 'oh yeah, you're - you look like the lead of a show' or 'you should be the lead' or this, like, I had to - I had to really earn that. Like, that didn't just -"
SA: "Yes, you did."
CL: "I didn't walk in the room and - and they're like, you, you know, be the lead. It's - I started as this - at first, even with - when I auditioned for Arrow, they were like, 'no, you're not CW at all, not gonna happen, like, sorry.' And then I got called back in."
SA: "Yeah, we had to - we had to fight for you. We really did... Go ahead. Keep going."
CL: "Yeah. It's like, people don't always see it. And like, don't let that stop you. Just 'cause somebody else doesn't see it, don't let it stop you. And then it was like, you know, guest - guest star and turned into more. But then it was like, hey, you're dead... And so, you know... that whole season, it was like, you know, thinking that I was going to be a regular on the show."
SA: "Yeah."
CL: "And then they were like, 'hey, by the way, we're killing you off, goodbye.' ... You know, they were nice about it, but business is business."
SA: "Yes it is. Not only that, Drew, but, um, again, Caity - Caity's character died during the first episode of season 3. She filmed until 6 o' clock in the morning and - and the f**kin' CW, to throw people off the scent that we were killing her character, put her on a plane and sent her to Comic-Con, and she walked into the panel that day on no sleep, because we wanted to feature Sara Lance so that people would be shocked that October when she's f**ckin' dead."
CL: "And having to pretend - and then having to pretend like, you know, everyone's so excited for season 3 and I'm like (Mimes clapping her hands and smiling)."
SA: "Well, listen, I'll say that - that through the years, you and I have had a lot of - had a lot of conversations that, um, are between you and I, but the one thing that I'll say is, you've - you're shown a real determination. You really have. You've - you've had to fight for every inch of what you've got. And, uh, it's well-deserved."
CL: "Thank you. And like it - 'cause it didn't end there. And then it was like, okay, Legends. And when I got on Legends, in terms of the call sheet numbers, I was at the very bottom. It was all the men and then the two women. Is where I started on that show. And - and I even remember my agent - because I was like, 'hey, guys, this seems, you know, like my character's been around longer.' He was like, 'well, you're a woman, so we kind of have to, like, don't want you to seem difficult and get a reputation.' And like - but I showed up every day and like that - there wasn't a plan to make Sara Lance captain. Like, she - it emerged as that. Um, and so my advice to people is, if people don't see it in you, make them see it in you. Keep going. Keep going. Persevere and like, be the best you can be and take any opportunity that you can and eventually like, you know, you'll - you'll get somewhere."
SA: "There it is. There it is."

-- Like SA's other instagram chats, they did some silly hypotheticals, like a hypothetical match-up between Beatrix Kiddo (Uma Thurman's character in Kill Bill) and Sara Lance.
CL: "I think that's, like, been the hard thing with the evolution of Sara's character is, she used to have nothing and had nothing to lose and was way more, uh, in touch with her assassin side."
SA: "Yeah. Season 2 Sara Lance, (Makes noise) yeah."
CL: "Yeah. And like, also she just hated herself. So I feel like, that was [unintelligible words]. Then she would have gone toe-to-toe, I think, pretty greatly with... But I don't know, and that's the part of the thing with the Legends now, it's like, she has so much more to lose than now she has this relationship, she's with Ava, she has her whole team she's looking after, she's really trying to work on herself and become like a fully evolved human. And, I don't know, that - that can make you soft. And so I guess it depend on like what stage. Like, right now? Do you mean right now Sara Lance?"
SA: "I think that 'hates-herself' Sara Lance can take down - can take down Beatrix Kiddo in a fight, but current Sara Lance, slightly domesticated, relatively speaking, yeah, I don't - I don't know that she's willing to go to the lengths that Beatrix Kiddo's willing to go."
CL: "I think previous Sara Lance, uh, would've probably like bedded Beatrix, like hooked up with her, and done like a Gone Girl situation and taken her out... But now she's got a girlfriend and she's much more kind."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 8

These two are why I shipped Sara and Oliver and why I love their friendship so much.

Nice to see confirmation that there was an expectation that Sara was brought on to be a regular on Arrow. No one bought that “we only intended one season we swear!” spin from season 3. 

• Love 3

Agreed.  I‘ve always believed they had planned to make her into the show’s BC until that plan got derailed by something late in season two.  There was just too much setup to think otherwise.

And yeah, SA and CL have always had great chemistry.  

• Love 2
(edited)

FYI: News about the next crossover (early 2021) - unknown whether any Legends characters will appear (more likely than not, imo), but it sounds like only two shows will be officially involved (Batwoman and Superman & Lois)...
https://deadline.com/2020/05/the-cw-superman-batwoman-crossover-2021-1202934828/

“We’re still working on it. It will be a smaller event than usual, we’re only planning a two-hour event. We are talking about doing Superman and Batwoman together. There’s a lot of characters coming from our other shows,” [Mark Pedowitz] said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Returning CW Shows, Despite Delay to 2021, Aiming to Shoot Full Seasons
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 16 2020, 
https://tvline.com/2020/05/16/cw-fall-season-delayed-2021-episode-counts-flash-supergirl/

Assuming that production returns to normal-ish post-pandemic levels by, say, late fall, returning originals such as The Flash, Batwoman, Legacies, Riverdale and All American are targeted for January 2021 premieres, alongside new series Superman & Lois and the Jared Padalecki-starring Walker. And a handful of returning shows, such as Supergirl, Dynasty, Legends of Tomorrow and Roswell NM, won’t premiere until Spring 2021, or later.
“We are planning our normal episodic counts,” CW president Mark Pedowitz told TVLine when asked if this staggered scheduling could result in shorter seasons. “We have some shows that’ll have 22 or 20 [episodes], we’ll have some shows at 13,” which is the starting point for freshman series. “We plan to continue [with that goal in mind], and we’ll see how the world progresses,” he said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

It looks like BR and CF are not participating in this weekend's HomeCon 2 after all. I wonder if they were temporarily listed on the website by mistake (or prematurely) or if they cancelled. Or maybe they'll be participating in a future HomeCon. I swear, they were on the HomeCon website for, like, one day only.

In fact, it looks like there are no Arrowverse panels scheduled for HomeCon 2.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Pics for #514 “The One Where We’re Trapped On TV” (DCLegendsTV)(TVLine)

BREAKING FREE – After Charlie (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) does the one thing that goes against her nature when it comes to her sisters, she tries to protect the Legends by scattering them in different television shows. Of course, in true Legends style some can’t just be blissfully ignorant and happy but figure out a way to end up messing with the system. Caity Lotz, Jes Macallan, Dominic Purcell, Nick Zano, Tala Ashe, Olivia Swann and Matt Ryan also star. Marc Guggenheim directed the episode written by Grainne Godfree & James Eagan (#514).  Original airdate 5/26/2020. 

AEA23F8E-668F-401D-8E50-F31446E1E296.jpeg

4B7B7CC8-45C2-4A85-9132-3A4AB60C4A02.jpeg

76BBDBD3-07C7-449C-89EF-517E02BECE42.jpeg

BA7F4430-9797-4312-ADF2-0475617B8F46.jpeg

FA0F9F89-3E38-484B-92C4-BE81A2C4B90D.jpeg

756BFA72-041B-4EAB-A1C4-5A492A39A07E.jpeg

EBB3666C-1385-4BF1-8CDF-D00791903AE5.jpeg

88856595-91E4-4570-B241-6181C63F55EB.jpeg

2DC9EF06-7921-45C3-83CD-323D19FB134F.jpeg

4E049DE5-C66A-4633-A25A-D992F5D6595B.jpeg

8CA60D6C-F011-4B27-8ADF-3BF6F12075C0.jpeg

9598C822-078D-4EAB-B2A6-1556D239FC39.jpeg

8C54ED25-F6C5-4045-A904-1ECE90DBC8D7.jpeg

6F8C51B4-E50F-42B9-B887-59F1BB11CA69.jpeg

5BF25C81-7973-4370-85A0-66944231E3B9.jpeg

I don't know if this is the appropriate place for it (perhaps it's time for a bitterness thread?) but I wanted to mention the "best co-captain!" post isn't even the first time in recent weeks the show's social media accounts have promoted Ava at the expense of others. They've been posting character cards here and there and while some get matter-of-fact captions like, "She's a shapeshifter," Ava's was calling her the best new addition to the team.

It's bad enough to shove a character down our throats but repeatedly phrasing things in a way that tells us everyone else is considered somehow lesser than her is a really weird PR choice. It would be weird even if she was some beloved break-out star a la Felicity, but Felicity she ain't.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Screamnastics said:

It's bad enough to shove a character down our throats but repeatedly phrasing things in a way that tells us everyone else is considered somehow lesser than her is a really weird PR choice. It would be weird even if she was some beloved break-out star a la Felicity, but Felicity she ain't.

Maybe that's why. She's a favourite of producers but not necessarily fans and they're promoting this co-captains thing to get the audience on board. We've seen that before with other Arrowverse characters. 

There are other places where Ava is more well liked than here but it is more in context of Avalance and not necessarily as herself. My personal nominee for LOT only breakout star would be Zari.

1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Funny (or not) that this should appear today - does TVLine know something we don’t? 

That continues to worry me a bit for certain characters, even though it's been denied. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

There are other places where Ava is more well liked than here but it is more in context of Avalance and not necessarily as herself. My personal nominee for LOT only breakout star would be Zari.

I would agree with both of those things.  

• Love 3

I picked Sara, Leonard, Ray, Jax, Stein, Nora, Mick and Zari 1.0. 

Sara: well obviously. Lol

Leonard: because he went from we're just joining to steal to making heart eyes at Sara and wanting to be the good guy. Plus he was a good wingman for Sara. Not a co-captain notice. Just another strategist. 

Ray: because you need the eternal optimist on this team and he has a science gadget background. 

Jax: because he was the little brother on the team and the mechanic. And he was the friend that Sara could talk too back when the team cared to ask Sara how she was. 

Stein: for the wisdom he brought and the fact that the ship wasn't just filled with hot young people. Also could help with the science. 

Nora: because she brings the horrible backstory and the magic like Constantine but is a better team player. 

Mick: because he has proven his worth to the team and has also changed like Leonard to fight for the good guys. 

Zari 1.0: because she challenges the team and they need that. Plus tv has taught me that every team needs a hacker. 

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

That’s pretty much what I picked, except Charlie instead of Nora.  But Nora would have been included if we could pick more than eight. 

3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

On the “pick your dream team” poll, they limit it to eight (Astra isn’t included, and Gary and Behrad were late additions).  Who would you guys pick?

At first I thought they included Gary for "pick your dream exit" and I was so excited...

Sara, Ray, Leonard, Mick, Jax, Stein, Amaya and Zari 1.0

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I think I picked the exact same team as you! I would have included Wally too if I could pick more than 8.

No surprise who the Top 5 are, they're the popular OG and comic book characters. Not sure how big the sample size is, but it's probably a good gauge of how popular the characters are in general. Glad to see Sara still at the top, and ngl, I was happy to see Ava only in the middle of the pack, because as a character on her own, she's very boring to me.

• Love 1
(edited)

Updated poll results, since it’s kind of quiet in this forum tonight (I think everyone’s talking about the Batwoman news 😂).  Hopefully we’ll get the episode description for the season finale tomorrow.  No big changes. The top 10 are the same.  Ava has edged ahead of Wally again, Charlie’s ahead of Rip, and Behrad has recovered a bit from his late inclusion in the poll.  Oh, and I guess Gary is slightly ahead of Mona; in the prior screenshot they were tied for last place. 

D6CC5689-DDB1-4CBC-AAD5-7E351EB9539D.jpeg

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1