Type keyword(s) to search

Tomorrow Today: Media & Behind The Scenes Of LOT

• Start Topic

The cast/showrunners did interviews this week. I've embedded Caity's clip below, but more clips can be found on the same YT channel.

There's more to the interview such as previewing the last episode, which is covered in this article.

What I find interesting is this part from Caity, which is something she's talked about before, and what a lot of Sara fans feel too.

While Lotz loves the pair together, she's got slightly conflicted feelings about the pairing in regards to how much it defines Sara's life and what it can be outside of the loved up couple. "It's complicated because sometimes I'm like, 'Can we have a storyline that isn't about her relationship?' That's the only downside. I love the AvaLance and their relationship, it's awesome. But then sometimes when you're like, 'Wait, Sara also still just has issues and things to deal with other than their partner.' Which I'm hoping we get to do some more of that exploration."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lurker22 said:

she's got slightly conflicted feelings about the pairing in regards to how much it defines Sara's life and what it can be outside of the loved up couple. "It's complicated because sometimes I'm like, 'Can we have a storyline that isn't about her relationship?' That's the only downside. I love the AvaLance and their relationship, it's awesome. But then sometimes when you're like, 'Wait, Sara also still just has issues and things to deal with other than their partner.' Which I'm hoping we get to do some more of that exploration."

Thank you Caity, yes!  I don’t know that I would love the relationship exactly, but I’d be much more accepting of it if I didn’t feel like it has pretty much taken over Sara’s character.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 7

I'm glad CL feels the sort of the same way I do. Or maybe the main reason I don't like Avalance is that Sara's disappeared into that relationship. Sara's issues are never truly dealt with or focused on, everything always turns into Ava's issues, wants and needs. Sara just seems like she's just there as window dressing for Ava. 

• Love 4

Photos for #505 “Mortal Khanbat” (DCLegendsTV)

A STEP AHEAD – With Sara (Caity Lotz) still away from the Waverider, the Legends find a new Encore with Ava’s (Jes Macallan) new invention, the Prognosticator, and must now try to defeat Genghis Khan in 1990s Hong Kong. Constantine’s (Matt Ryan) life is hanging in the balance, and Ray (Brandon Routh), Nora (Courtney Ford) and Gary (guest star Gary Tsekhman) all try to help him, but Constantine tries to make a deal with Astra (Olivia Swann) instead. Meanwhile, Behrad (guest star Shayan Sobhian) has been confused about Charlie’s (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) recent behavior, but they all learn why Charlie is trying to out run her past and from what. Dominic Purcell, Nick Zano and Tala Ashe also star. Caity Lotz directed the episode written by Grainne Godfree & Mark Bruner (#505).  Original airdate 2/25/2020. 

AC161B0E-BEB7-404E-B648-15EC221064AF.jpeg

62D48ADB-A751-4B2C-996A-F68B669667A4.jpeg

1C987001-3084-481E-BDFE-7DE37A3ADE30.jpeg

20EF2C47-9FF5-4F83-A28F-65425E3F500D.jpeg

502F8BBC-2355-42A7-B62B-9A337F6C0CED.jpeg

28420AC6-9AD7-4973-BB41-EDE35C92D9A7.jpeg

FF3434AA-6453-4A40-A9BD-35794D93CAD5.jpeg

722BB68B-6277-48DA-958C-6F037D99E786.jpeg

957128C3-74CC-4B51-9F39-AA329E0E6328.jpeg

164511DF-4AD9-44A0-A9FE-20B42FAD9858.jpeg

C9C4F066-3679-45DB-B144-00CE36B52704.jpeg

BBDD8534-C533-4DA6-9EF4-E0FCC04FACBC.jpeg

CA60CD07-23BA-4F48-AA33-AB3DE45AFD67.jpeg

If Caity feels this way after the season has ended filiming, I have very little faith in the rest of the season. She does watch the episodes and reads how Sara's fans respond so she might just be taking about Sara so far in the season, but I don't think so. 

Right now I can't stand Ava unrelated to Sara's margaizing within the avalance relationship. She is just so ME focused. She's like season 2 Nate annoying. Imo. 

• Love 2

From the above interview it also looks like the co-captaining continues throughout the season. So Sara's giving the last thing she has left being the Captain of the Legends to share it with Ava. We get to see that Ava as hobbies outside like her podcast but Sara can't have anything without Ava being involved. 

• Love 2

Synopsis for Episode 6.

“Mr. Parker’s Cul-De-Sac” — (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, V) (HDTV)

FAMILY AFFAIR – Ray (Brandon Routh) plans a date night for him and Nora (Courtney Ford), but all goes awry when an Encore shows up making the team think on their feet and create a lie to keep the Encore at bay. While trying to fool the Encore, Ava (Jes Macallan) learns what Sara (Caity Lotz) was really doing while she was away and confronts her. Charlie (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) and Constantine (Matt Ryan) make a deal to work together, which will benefit both of them. Meanwhile, Rory (Dominic Purcell) is upset when he gets negative comments about his book, so Zari (Tala Ashe) helps track down who the critic is, and Rory gets more than he bargained for. Nick Zano and Olivia Swann also star. Ben Bray directed the episode written by Keto Shimizu & James Eagan (#506). Original airdate 3/3/2020.

Yay, more relationship drama for Sara. Not.

Of course, they even have to use the episodes that Sara aren't in to build even more drama with Ava. No wonder Caity said what she said.

Edited by lurker22
  • Love 1

At this point I hope Sara spent a couple of weeks in the mountains with Nyssa and Ava is so upset they break up forever and she leaves the Waverider never to return, but that's not happening. Also would be a definite backslide in Sara's morality post Gambit etc but gah! 

I mean maybe it's something interesting but all the confronting in their relationship recently (or as professional co-captains meh) has been so Ava centric I don't want it to be about Sara having to apologise or something. 

I wonder if Ray and Nora's storyline is set up for them leaving? I was thinking the Encore could be DD but it doesn't quite fit and that would be more publicised.

Zari and Mick should be good together, especially as this Zari knows all about reviews and fans. 

I hope Charlie gets more than 2 minutes in an episode with a Constantine storyline for her. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 2

I hope Sara was off with Flash, Supergirl, Superman and the rest of the Superfriends saving the world. We won't get to see it but I'll know Sara is important somewhere in the universe.

Since Ava is basically taking over the Legends, Sara can be like that's cool I helped found another team so I can help more people and honor my fallen friend. 

• Love 4

From NM panel at Fan Expo Vancouver on Feb. 17...

(Angelika Diana)

-- NM: "Well, you know, it's funny, when I found out I was dying in - in - at the end of my first year with Arrow, Marc Guggenheim called me and goes, 'I've got good news for you and bad news for you.' Like, 'what's that?' I hadn't read the script. He goes, 'You're dying at the end of the next episode.' Like, 'I am?' 'Yes, but we're bringing you back in Legends of Tomorrow.' And to be part of - thank you - Legends, to be opposite Barrowman and those guys and everyone else and, you know, Brandon is one of my favorite human beings I've ever had the opportunity to work with. He is - I don't know how he is not Superman in all the movies still. You know what I mean? You guys should write petitions, because there aren't many guys as decent as Brandon and as hard-working as he is. And to be, you know, part of that universe with him for a few years, that was - that was a blessing. You know, that was - that was great. But I miss them all. They were fantastic...." 

-- When asked about his transition from Arrow to Legends, NM: "Uh, Arrow, as I said, was - Arrow was awesome. Uh, to work opposite Stephen, um, was a real - we didn't necessarily - because we're both like really professional guys. So we didn't really talk to each other. I'm kinda like that way when I play a villain. I like to be a little away and offish and not really talk to anyone, so everyone has a - is a little nervous around me, at times - which is a little funny, 'cause I'm not that way at all in real life... It wasn't until we went to a comic con that Ruve and I - where did we go to? San Jose, I think it was. We went to San Jose and we both loosened up around each other and we became really great friends because of that. Uh, and because of that, I really missed Arrow because I loved being with Stephen. We had such a wonderful time together... You know, going off on some of these conventions, playing music together, jumping on the stage with the band, you know, it was always fun with Stephen. Legends of Tomorrow, however, was such a departure from the very über-serious Damien Darhk. It was such a fun, goofy dad, which I loved playing. Uh, so I loved them both equally, but I had so much - well, it's hard to say which one I liked better. They were both awesome. I loved them both. How's that?"

Edited by tv echo

From that peek seeing Ava in Sara's role is a big nope for me. I would like it if she failed and learned from it, but she'll probably be sad that the Legend don't listen to her, then Sara will probably coddle her and tell she did a great job while calling her babe and doing some grand romantic gesture. Since that's Sara's main purpose now. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

From that peek seeing Ava in Sara's role is a big nope for me. I would like it if she failed and learned from it, but she'll probably be sad that the Legend don't listen to her, then Sara will probably coddle her and tell she did a great job while calling her babe and doing some grand romantic gesture. Since that's Sara's main purpose now. 

Your guess wasn't that far from what actually happened, lol. It was the Legends and Zari 2.0 telling her what a great job she did, and Sara telling her that in private later.

• Love 2

Photos for #506 “Mr. Parker’s Cul-De-Sac”. (DCLegendsTV)

FAMILY AFFAIR — Ray (Brandon Routh) plans a date night for him and Nora (Courtney Ford), but all goes awry when an Encore shows up making the team think on their feet and create a lie to keep the Encore at bay. While trying to fool the Encore, Ava (Jes Macallan) learns what Sara (Caity Lotz) was really doing while she was away and confronts her. Charlie (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) and Constantine (Matt Ryan) make a deal to work together, which will benefit both of them. Meanwhile, Rory (Dominic Purcell) is upset when he gets negative comments about his book, so Zari (Tala Ashe) helps track down who the critic is, and Rory gets more than he bargained for. Nick Zano and Olivia Swann also star. Ben Bray directed the episode written by Keto Shimizu & James Eagan (#506). Original airdate 3/3/2020 [3/10/2020 - see update below].

A11965D0-D7D2-4D1C-86A2-C2961AFC0185.jpeg

5A9D25FB-A930-45FA-AEED-BCBFC0C7E28A.jpeg

E182EF4F-1065-44F2-9D0E-FE70521F049E.jpeg

963E9841-EF43-4E88-BA80-76B9E0913820.jpeg

825A7A96-2C2D-4B22-B80B-EB691D52FA3D.jpeg

0A6D5497-CD2A-4441-AF58-5A2E1DEEB099.jpeg

7895BE3B-304A-46E6-8395-251FE1C89F26.jpeg

6CDD6601-5E5B-49C7-A55C-A1498A661094.jpeg

C3F0BFAA-6BD3-4EF4-8383-C3731FEF0352.jpeg

Sara with a sword?  You’ve got my attention. 😄 Don’t disappoint me show!

UPDATE: Per DCLegendsTV, this episode will now air March 10.  March 3 will air a rerun of #501 “Meet The Legends.”

Edited by Starfish35
Updated info on air date.
  • Love 1

From TVLIne’s TV Questions post for this week:

12 | Was the wildest part of this week’s Legends of Tomorrow that the MTV Movie Awards are still relevant in 2044? Is anyone getting whiplash when the show cuts from the light-n-silly A-stories to whatever dark, ominous and yell-y stuff Constantine is up to? And did Courtney Ford’s self-described shameful French accent remind you of Sacha Baron Cohen in Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby?

And the tweet linked above: 😂

33D95CEC-56CF-4449-93D7-70EB085AE269.jpeg

Edited by Starfish35
  • LOL 1

Caity has already clarified she's not talking about LOT and isn't going anywhere. One of the writers has as well. 

Some people are saying in the comments it's about the new GA and TC show not being picked up (because of the bird cage) but I can't see that when she wasn't part of that cast or even rumoured to be guest staring. The open cage is pretty vague. It could be part of the stuff she's been posting about the end of her relationship.

• Useful 1
25 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Some people are saying in the comments it's about the new GA and TC show not being picked up (because of the bird cage) but I can't see that when she wasn't part of that cast or even rumoured to be guest staring. The open cage is pretty vague. It could be part of the stuff she's been posting about the end of her relationship.

Plus there’s nothing coming from the actors attached to the spinoff that would indicate it wasn’t going forward so there’s no reason to think that Caity would be the one to give hints to the public. 

Getting dumped a couple months ago was a big shock and she’s still processing so it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s related to that. 

• Love 1

Yeah if it wasn't about LOT which it seems it definitely isn't (unless they're lying for spoilers but probably not) it's most likely about her personal life and a break up of a longterm relationship. I was just reporting what a few people are claiming in the comments and on twitter due to the bird cage. Some were acting like it was a sure thing that it was about that because she is a Canary. Ignoring the fact that she's not on the show and the actual actresses haven't started hinting they're moving on from it.  Actually first some people assumed she was leaving LOT to go to GAATC as well. 

7 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Some were acting like it was a sure thing that it was about that because she is a Canary.

I saw that too and it was so absurd. That group no doubt is full on praying that the spinoff doesn't get picked up so they'll see anything as proof. On the other hand their conviction was so strong that they were calming people down who were freaking out that it meant LOT was getting cancelled so it's a win in it's own way.

• Love 1

TVLine exclusive sneak peek

John Constantine has been insta-stricken with Stage 4 lung cancer, and he’s gunning to find out who’s responsible — but first he will have to get past a concerned Ray, as seen in this exclusive sneak peek from DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.

Previewing Legends‘ take on Garth Ennis’ Hellblazer “Dangerous Habits” comic book story arc, EP Grainne Godfree said, “We wanted to give [Constantine] one of the iconic storylines from the comics, where he gets lung cancer, and he’s going to try to do everything he can, in the most John Constantine type way, to get out of it” — all while “wrestling with mortality and all this rich, deep character stuff.”

And as seen above, he will also wrestle with extremely well-meaning crew mates. “John wants to just be miserable and drink alone, and they’re not going to let him do that,” Godfree teased.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

From the latest Supergirl episode thread:

15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I forgot this was the 100th episode. Now I'm wondering when Legends reaches that mark. Given how many episodes the CW doles out, they might not get to that 100th episode for ages.

4 hours ago, DavidJSnyder said:

Probably not until a hypothetical Season 7 unless they get an 18 episode order next year, but the only time they've ever had that many was Season 3.  This year they are down to 15 including the Crisis episode.

It would be interesting to see a season finale / 100th episode! I know there's been nothing announced that next season is the last, but if it did end next year, I hope they give them an 18-episode run. Seasons have been too short lately with so many characters to juggle anyway, and I'd really like to see LOT hit 100. This show makes the most sense to have old characters come back since they can just hop back through time to see people!

• Love 3

From Variety: How Directing ‘DC’s Legends of Tomorrow’ Gave Caity Lotz More ‘Empathy’

Last year, in addition to starring in the CW’s “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” Caity Lotz participated in the 2019 Warner Bros. Television Group Directors’ Workshop. All of the graduates of that program went on to receive offers to direct episodes of Warner Bros.-produced series; Lotz, perhaps naturally, received an offer to direct her own show.

Although in the past actors from the “Arrowverse” who have gone on to direct episodes of their series have done so by shadowing directors on set first, Lotz tells Variety she wanted to go through more thorough training to see what it would really feel like to bring a story from shot list to screen, with everything in between.

“The program is like a boot camp,” she says. “It’s less about the creative side of it and more about the rigors of TV — working with all of the different departments and on your first day of prep, what happens? What can be expected? When you go on the tech scout where does the director sit on the bus? Just the logistics and rules of what people will expect from you.”

Lotz participated in the program (alongside her “Legends” co-star Jes Macallan and eight others currently starring in or staffed on Warner Bros.-produced television series) during the summer hiatus between the fourth and fifth seasons of her show, and she also traveled back up to Vancouver after “Legends” wrapped to shadow onset at “Arrow.”

After having made a shot list for very specific blocking in a very specific location, on the last night of prep, production told her they lost that location.

“I had to completely change the blocking and all the shot-listing for my giant action sequence. I had a giant crane, and at the new location, the ceilings were too low, so we weren’t going to be able to get a crane in there. So I had to re-plan all of my crane shots — and that’s the night before we started shooting,” she says. “It gave me lots of empathy, not only for the director but every single department.”

As an actor, Lotz acknowledges that usually you have to focus on your dialogue and emotional beats with other actors, but someone else is telling you where to stand, when to cross the room and how to fight. Directing, she says, “requires all aspects of your mind,” which is why she likes it so much.

More at the link, including minor spoilers for this week’s episode as well as possibly the next one.

Edited by Starfish35
Including quotes
  • Love 1

CW Live+7 Ratings for the week of February 3-9:

• The Flash - 0.81, 2.215 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.47, 1.286 million.
  • Legacies - 0.44, 1.227 million.
  • Legends of Tomorrow - 0.41, 1.330 million (#502 - Miss Me, Kiss Me, Love Me).
  • All American - 0.41, 1.180 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.38, 1.124 million.
  • Charmed - 0.33, 1.006 million.
  • Nancy Drew - 0.27, 1.079 million.
  • Katy Keene - 0.25, 0.873 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.15, 0.503 million.

Live+SD Ratings for comparison:

• The Flash - 0.44, 1.268 million.
  • All American - 0.24, 0.789 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.24, 0.720 million.
  • Legends of Tomorrow - 0.22, 0.791 million.
  • Legacies - 0.21, 0.628 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.19, 0.652 million.
  • Charmed - 0.18, 0.570 million.
  • Katy Keene - 0.15, 0.619 million.
  • Nancy Drew - 0.14, 0.615 million.
  • Dynasty - 0.08, 0.310 million.

Links to ratings reports (Programming Insider)

The CW aired reruns on Sunday, February 9.

The Live+7 ratings for #500 and #501 are posted in the Arrow Ratings thread; here are links to the specific posts:

• Love 1

From TVLine: Legends of Tomorrow's Caity Lotz Talks Her John Woo-Style Directorial Debut

“I had, like, a John Woo-style episode, massive action episode, and something with electric scooters,” Lotz previews. “The episode was humongous, [with] two very different storylines happening that were both pretty intense. It was really cool.”

The physicality of this week’s Encore case, which also involves motorcycles and a shootout, was an ideal matchup with Lotz’s skills. “The nice thing that we’re able to do as writers is we know Caity, we know her strengths, we know her appetites and aesthetics,” executive producer Phil Klemmer explains. “Caity is, obviously, pretty good at action, so we can give her a John Woo, ’90s Hong Kong, Hard Boiled[episode]. When it works, it’s incredible. That glove fit her perfectly.”

Edited by Starfish35
Never mind - I was looking at ratings for the rerun 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Mick Fainting in the preview for the next episode? Hes so finding out hes a Dad after hooking up with Ali a couple episodes ago 

Especially since they mentioned it in the following episode!

• Love 2

Legends of Tomorrow: An Ode to Sara Lance
By Luciana Mangas  25th February 2020 
https://www.monstersandcritics.com/tv/legends-of-tomorrow-an-ode-to-sara-lance/ 

In honor of Lotz’s directorial debut on tonight’s Legends of Tomorrow, we thought we’d take a stroll down memory lane to revisit and pay homage to this absolutely fantastic, flawed, complex character and how much she has grown since we first met her in the second season of Arrow back in 2013.
I loved Sara from the moment she showed up on Arrow on Season 2 Episode 3, Broken Dolls. She was such a badass, and the more was revealed about her and what she’d had to endure after The Gambit went down, the more I liked her.
As much as joining Oliver on The Gambit was a major turning point in her life, meeting Nyssa was an even bigger one. Without Nyssa, she would probably be dead in a ditch somewhere, and not the Captain of a time ship. But these relationships were just stepping stones to prepare her for what was to come.

Because it’s with Ava Sharpe that she finally finds peace and is finally ready to have a healthy, loving relationship. And a lot of that is due to the explosive chemistry between Caity Lotz and Jes Macallan. As much as the writing is absolutely suberb for these two characters, without chemistry, this ship would have sunk faster than the Titanic — just look at Oliver and Laurel on Arrow.
She has brought so much to Sara Lance over the past seven years, and she’s the beating heart of Legends of Tomorrow. ...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

CW Live+7 Ratings for the week of February 10-16:

• The Flash - 0.77, 2.070 million.
  • Legacies - 0.46, 1.236 million.
  • All American - 0.43, 1.147 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.42, 1.199 million.
  • Batwoman - 0.40, 1.356 million.
  • Legends of Tomorrow - 0.40, 1.314 million (#503 - Slay Anything).
  • Supergirl - 0.40, 1.305 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.34, 1.015 million.
  • Katy Keene - 0.19, 0.698 million.

Live+SD Ratings for comparison:

• The Flash - 0.35, 1.129 million.
  • All American - 0.27, 0.778 million.
  • Batwoman - 0.23, 0.849 million.
  • Legacies - 0.21, 0.634 million.
  • Riverdale - 0.20, 0.644 million.
  • Legends of Tomorrow - 0.19, 0.736 million.
  • Supergirl - 0.19, 0.655 million.
  • Black Lightning - 0.19, 0.654 million.
  • Katy Keene - 0.12, 0.528 million.

Links to ratings reports (Programming Insider)

The CW aired other programming on Friday, February 14, and aired a rerun of the Katy Keene premiere on Wednesday in place of Nancy Drew.

• Love 1

From Alex Kingston's Q&A panel at Comic Con Brussels on Feb. 23...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysxwCGqNCiw
(Insert Coin)

Female Mod: "So you played the mother of Sara and Laurel Lance on Arrow."
AK: "Yes."
Female Mod: "Then, obviously, Sara Lance goes off to become the White Canary, joins Legends of Tomorow, with a time traveler, who happens to be -"
AK: "My dad."*
Female Mod: "Is that a crossover that you would ever like to see happen?"
AK: "I mean, it's kind of really strange. But, uh - but wonderful as well... You know, the fact that Arthur sort of went on from Rory to become this kind of Doctor-like time traveler, um, I think was sort of kind of ironic, really. Certainly the character of Rory was not that sort of character, really. Not that person. He was brave, but he was, um - he was sort of - not hen-pecked, but he - you know, the women around him were sort of much stronger."

(* If you don't watch Doctor Who, Arthur Darvill played a character named Rory, who turned out to be the father of AK's character. Timey-wimey stuff.)

Edited by tv echo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2