Type keyword(s) to search

Tomorrow Today: Media & Behind The Scenes Of LOT

• Start Topic

Well, I do kind of hope the ratings for this show pick up.  I'd take a Barry appearance if it helped lol.  However, if it's another 16 episode season which begins in January (and I kind of hope it is) - then they should have time to either reair the first season so people can catch up, get it over to Netflix, and maybe have decent DVD sales.  I want this show to do well because I like it so much.

And you know what I think would be great for this show is if they could have the actors film little sequences just for the DVDs of life onboard the Waverider.  Like I really want to see Ray and Sara gossiping about Oliver and Felicity.  And I think Snart and Kendra chatting about Barry could be fun.  Training sequences between Kendra and Sara.  Ray and Sara seeing who can do more turns on the Salmon ladder.  I mean, I loved the little board game moment between Kendra and Sara this last episode but I want to believe tons of fun stuff happens on the Waverider while Rip is trying to figure out where to go next that we need to see. :)

• Love 4
(edited)

Good news its stable, bad news it deserved to be higher, after a killer episode last night.

Well, I do kind of hope the ratings for this show pick up.  I'd take a Barry appearance if it helped lol.

And why not, this is a Flash spin off too, they are out of their minds for not having Barry showing up this first season.

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 1

Good news its stable, bad news it deserved to be higher, after a killer episode last night.

And why not, this is a Flash spin off too, they are out of their minds for not having Barry showing up this first season.

Since Flash is very busy establishing Barry's time traveling capabilities - I actually think it's possible he is going to show up.  In a lot of the promos for the show before it aired, we saw Barry in a group fight with the team in what appeared to be a futuristic setting.  If they got GG for a day or two, they could easily say that an older version of Barry runs forward in time to help them in 20 whatever without it even needing to match up with this season of Flash.

• Love 1
In a lot of the promos for the show before it aired, we saw Barry in a group fight with the team in what appeared to be a futuristic setting.

I thought that was for the Pilot though. Yeah it  wouldn't be hard to get him on the show, he is already a time traveller. 

I thought that was for the Pilot though. Yeah it  wouldn't be hard to get him on the show, he is already a time traveller. 

But it wasn't in the pilot.  I am almost certain they just put the cast in a warehouse and CGI'd the heck out of it for the promos but I still wouldn't rule out Barry appearing.  There was a press release or some EP comment that we'd get different versions of Barry and Oliver.  We've had Oliver - I think Barry's turn is still coming.

• Love 1

An article on 12 Female TV Characters Redefining the Hero’s Journey. The list includes, Carol from The Walking Dead, Trish Walker and Jessica Jones, Supergirl, Iris West, Felicity Smoak and Peggy Carter

http://screenrant.com/female-heroes-tv/11/

2. SARA LANCE (ARROW, LEGENDS OF TOMORROW)
Sometimes, where we pick up a heroic journey isn’t at the beginning of the story, but the middle. When audiences are first truly introduced to Sara Lance (Caity Lotz), she is donning a black mask and wielding a bo staff against enemies. Her alter ego – the Canary – is filled with pain and darkness. Sara’s journey may have begun on a boat, but her hero’s journey began when she returned to Starling City. After spending time training in the League of Assassins, Sara began to harness her inner pain and use it as a weapon against others. The more Sara fought and killed, the more she sunk into the pain within her own heart.

And that’s precisely what makes Sara Lance’s journey so refreshing. Because in spite of the fact that she does not believe she is a hero, Sara is one. Her journey is unlike most – she begins big, pivotal moments of Arrow in the “resurrection” phase of the traditional narrative – and darker than most as well. Rather than donning a costume to hide her identity from others, Sara dons one to hide from herself. It’s this self-deprecation that is not as common in the hero’s journey but that adds an extremely interesting layer of complexity to Sara as a hero.

It is only when Sara begins to embrace the goodness within and around her that she begins to see herself worthy enough to be deemed “heroic.” She was a hero in the beginning – saving the life of a woman who was being attacked by a group of men – but on Legends of Tomorrow, Sara has begun to more fully embrace the lightness that her soul still has. A hero’s journey typically bridges the ordinary with the extraordinary, peppering darkness in like a seasoning: in small doses and with little pungency.

But Sara’s darkness is deep and vast, and lightness is seasoned sparingly throughout. Nevertheless, it is the harnessing of that light and stints in the darkness that make Sara Lance so heroic.

• Love 5

The top 3 were Jessica Jones, Sara and Elektra. Hmmm it seems like the author likes the dark and tortured heroes. Just like I do. The men shouldn't be the only ones claiming that market. Women can go through pain and torture and come out the other side fighting too. 

Speaking of that the three of them would probably get along pretty well after fighting for a bit then going out for drinks. 

• Love 3
(edited)

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/legends-tomorrow-7-reveals-show/

Light spoilers....

Details Guggenheim, "Like we do with The Flash and Arrow, Vandal Savage was conceived as our big bad for the season. I'm not going to say that season one doesn't end with a cliffhanger, but it ends with a definitive answer or end to the Vandal Savage story. So you will know if Rip Hunter's family gets saved, if Vandal Savage conquers the world, what happens to Vandal Savage, what happens to the Hawks. You're going to know all of that by the end of the year."
Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

Apparently social media ratings matter now...

http://variety.com/t/listenfirst-media-tv/

ListenFirst-AllSeries-4-12.jpg

Source: ListenFirst. The TVI Rating aggregates metrics that measure organically generated activity by fans of the TV show. The metric includes total volume of official hashtag mentions on Facebook, Google+, and Tumblr, along with Wikipediapage views (as a proxy for organic search volume) for a show as a percentage of the total volume of the same activities for all shows.

I dont know how the show is doing with Nielsen Social Ratings for Twitter & such http://www.nielsensocial.com/

Edited by WildcardC

@CiaraRenee8
Finally did it. It's not perfect and those pesky pictures would not get any bigger (sorry) but here it is.

https://officialciarareneedotcom.wordpress.com/

I consume, what most of my fellow actor’s say, is an ungodly amount of chatter about myself. I scan message boards, I search out the Tumblrs, and I read nearly every comment thrown my way via reviews, twitter, and even occasionally some podcasts. At first glance, that may seem awfully narcissistic. But if you searched the same media I did, you would quickly realize how unashamedly people not only criticize my work, but pick apart every last detail of anything I’ve ever “said” or “done,” and most especially what I “look” like

I have criticized her work and will continue to do so if that is the way I feel about it but I do wish people wouldn't post hate directly to the actors and co. It's rude and mean. 

• Love 1

I will never understand putting hate on an actors twitter or anyone's social media. I don't have time for that. I find that rude and disrespectful. Just because you can hide behind your words doesn't mean you should say them. I would feel worse about myself if I did something like that. If I don't like the actor I just don't go to their social media or follow their work. 

I try to refrain from talking about their looks. No one is perfect and people shouldn't be judged by how they look. I will however criticize their work because as an actor they are putting themselves out there to be criticized or praised on the basis of the job they do.

There are even some actors that I love one thing they did and that will always make me love them even though they are not that great of an actor.  ie: I loved Eliza Dushku as Faith from Buffy and every character she's played after she's still playing Faith. But she will always have my love from playing one of my favorite characters. 

• Love 4

Yeah I try to refrain from talking about actors looks. I rarely even go into style choices. Unless it's positive. I try to be positive as much as I can. Though I think that makes the negative remarks I say look worse >.<

I actually like CR. I follow her social media and I don't do that with the whole cast. I don't want to miss her singing post. It's just her Hawkgirl that I have issue with. CR's line reading has gotten better and she is fully submerged in her role (unlike on Flarrow and the LOT pilot) but I still think there is something blaa about the character. And I do think the right actress would be able to pull you in even with stunted writing for the character.

I love Faith. And I don't care if ED can't be another character. She usually chooses decently well for what she can play and that is why she is always Faith. A lot of acting is getting the character right and casting is critical. For example, imo, Katie Cassidy was never going to be a good Dinah on Arrow (and I mean her Laurel Lance always trying to save the world goodness as well as her bad ass Black Canary) because she just doesn't have the right vibe. It takes a lot of time to get the right performance out of an actor when the casting is wrong. TV production doesn't have that much time usually. PB did the best with her because he spent time getting his own character right and that meant working with Katie.

Edited by tarotx

I can't wait for Eliza Dushku to show up on Banshee playing Faith as a FBI Agent. 

As for CR, she's got a great voice. But Kendra is just not doing anything for me. I do blame the writing since they only seem interested in writing about her love life. I don't know if a different actress could've done something else with the role. 

But if you searched the same media I did, you would quickly realize how unashamedly people not only criticize my work, but pick apart every last detail of anything I’ve ever “said” or “done,” and most especially what I “look” like. If you read what I read so consistently, you might actually start to think I’m a lunatic. How could anyone possibly keep a level head and any semblance of self-esteem when thousands upon thousands of people are very cruelly picking them to pieces, many times just for the fun of it?

Go Ciara!

Edited by WildcardC

They should let her sing already.  I mean, if they can give Barry and Joe the chance - surely they can work that in for Kendra at some point.

OOH they could use her singing as a way to provide a cover for a secret mission, like when Sydney had to do it in Alias as a Jazz Singer. I'm sure they could find some way to highlight her musical talent. Even VG can get involved since he used to be a singer.

I have never cared for her acting, but I think a lot of it has to do with some pretty crappy writing, poor character mapping and acting partners. She seemed so much better off of ADS & even CL at times. I really wish they hadn't connected her with BR because I don't think their acting styles bounce off each other and of course the triangle is futile in the end.

• Love 2

Afterbuzz had one of the writers Sarah Nicole Jones on their review show. I am somewhat hopeful that she said one of the things they are looking to doing in Season 2 is breaking the team up into pairs and exploring their journey's as individuals and together instead of focusing on all of them every episode. 

I also like that they are aware of the flaws, especially with Kendra and Ray. She also talks about the budget and how they have to spread it across the episodes. Which I got, and also don't care about the comics part as much as others. I'd rather see Victor Garber than Firestorm.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
(edited)

Legends is starting in the fall, and staying on Thursdays at 8/7c.

http://www.cwtvpr.com/the-cw/releases/view?id=45284

THURSDAY

8:00-9:00 P.M. “DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW”

When heroes alone are not enough… the world needs legends. Time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill) assembled a disparate group of both heroes and villains – including Firestorm (Victor Garber and Franz Drameh), Atom (Brandon Routh), White Canary (Caity Lotz), Hawkgirl (Ciarra Reneé), Captain Cold (Wentworth Miller), and Heatwave (Dominic Purcell) – to confront an unstoppable threat. After saving the world, the Legends of Tomorrow now are charged with protecting time — the past, present, and future — itself. This responsibility will take them across history, bringing them up against a threat unlike humanity has ever known. Based on the characters from DC, DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl”), Marc Guggenheim (“Arrow,” “Eli Stone,” “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters”), Andrew Kreisberg (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Eli Stone,” “Warehouse 13”), Phil Klemmer (“The Tomorrow People,” “Chuck”), Chris Fedak (“Forever,” “Chuck”) and Sarah Schechter (“Arrow,” “The Flash”).

Just FYI, having Hawkgirl included may or may not mean anything.  I posted this in the Mind Your Surroundings thread, but Arrow fans will recall, in the 2014 press release (which would have been for season three), "international assassin Sara Lance" being included and no mention whatsoever of Katie Cassidy's Laurel, who was still a full time cast member at that point.  In other words, these don't necessarily reflect the full reality.

Edited by Starfish35

Not sure where to ask this, so hopefully it's ok to ask here.

Are there any Canadians watching this? because CTV doesn't have the show on the schedule for this week and it says next episode May 26th. Weird

(edited)

Man I hate Guggenheim so much. I think the HawkCouple exit makes sense and is a good decision but only from a poor casting standpoint. I don't think CR was right in the role and though I bought FH far more I didn't think they had any chemistry. But this fucking Guggenheim, he has no grace it's like he can't fire anyone without degrading them and looking like an ass. His excuse, we were breaking story for season 2 and couldn't think of anything for Hawkcouple. YOU COULDN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO WRITE FOR A COUPLE THAT HAS LITERALLY A TON OF COMIC BOOKS TO DRAW FROM? Like how? Nevermind the fact that you're writers, you get paid for this shit, to write for people, to come up with fucking stories, that's your LITERAL job description. Nevermind the fact that of all characters the ones least likely to run out of story are the reincarnating Bird Couple who've lived like a hundred lives. What kind of idiotic hack needs help with that? I can't take it. How is he gainfully employed on two shows?  How does he have two fucking jobs? Who is his sacrificial demon? This is killing me. Killing me!

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, dkb said:

Not sure where to ask this, so hopefully it's ok to ask here.

Are there any Canadians watching this? because CTV doesn't have the show on the schedule for this week and it says next episode May 26th. Weird

I saw it on CW. CTV pushed it to next week because of The Catch being 2 hours, then they'll do Flash/Arrow/LOT finales the same week.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I saw it on CW. CTV pushed it to next week because of The Catch being 2 hours, then they'll do Flash/Arrow/LOT finales the same week.

Thanks Artsda. I checked the schedule again and their Twitter and saw the change.

I don't have the CW so now I have to wait a whole week to see this, it's going to be hard. :( 

40 minutes ago, slayer2 said:

Man I hate Guggenheim so much. I think the HawkCouple exit makes sense and is a good decision but only from a poor casting standpoint. I don't think CR was right in the role and though I bought FH far more I didn't think they had any chemistry. But this fucking Guggenheim, he has no grace it's like he can't fire anyone without degrading them and looking like an ass. His excuse, we were breaking story for season 2 and couldn't think of anything for Hawkcouple. YOU COULDN'T THINK OF ANYTHING TO WRITE FOR A COUPLE THAT HAS LITERALLY A TON OF COMIC BOOKS TO DRAW FROM? Like how? Nevermind the fact that you're writers, you get paid for this shit, to write for people, to come up with fucking stories, that's your LITERAL job description. Nevermind the fact that of all characters the ones least likely to run out of story are the reincarnating Bird Couple who've lived like a hundred lives. What kind of idiotic hack needs help with that? I can't take it. How is he gainfully employed on two shows?  How does he have two fucking jobs? Who is his sacrificial demon? This is killing me. Killing me!

He couldn't think of anything to write for them because they were awful, and seriously miscast. Yes, the miscasting was his, and the other showrunners fault, and so was devolving Kendra into nothing but her love life; but, by the time they starting thinking about season two the die was cast. The characters didn't work and the audience didn't like them. He had two choices: keep them around for another season and try to fix things, or get rid of them. Personally, I think he made the best choice.

• Love 5

I'm always a little befuddled when people take EP comments like this literally.  What exactly are they supposed to say? They can't come out and say "we realize that these characters went over with our audience like a ton of bricks and therefore we are exiting them stage left."  The whole "storyline reasons" might actually in some cases be true, but I suspect in a lot of cases it's just the standard company line when a character isn't working out, for whatever reasons that they're not actually going to come out and say in public. 

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm always a little befuddled when people take EP comments like this literally.  What exactly are they supposed to say? They can't come out and say "we realize that these characters went over with our audience like a ton of bricks and therefore we are exiting them stage left."  The whole "storyline reasons" might actually in some cases be true, but I suspect in a lot of cases it's just the standard company line when a character isn't working out, for whatever reasons that they're not actually going to come out and say in public. 

The comment is literal, that's why I took it literally. They were literally sitting there scratching their heads like "Hmmm what do we do now?" They are writers, it is one thing entirely to choose to go in a different direction and find other beats more interesting to play but to speak of characters that have existed for decades with years of story to mine and to declare that they just couldn't come up with anything. Writers. That's like their job. 

What else could they have said: They could easily say "We're taking the show in a different direction." or like he said afterwards "We always intended to have a rotating cast." Saying dumb shit like, 'we couldn't think of anything' just makes him look as incompetent as many of us already know he is. Similar to when Julie Plec blamed the terrible TVD season 7 Caroline/Alaric plot on Candice's pregnancy. To be a writer and to sit there and say "Well gee whiz I can't think of anything." as a reason for why you're writing someone out and letting go of an actor (or two) is one of the most inconceivable things to say, it highlights your incompetency and alludes to the fact that you wrote yourself into a corner, even though he didn't write himself into a corner (yet) with these two he simply miscast them (her) which is something he could and should have realized a few episodes into the series. But he hadn't or willfully ignored it and thus he centred a lot of the show and plot around her and made the entire Kendra/Ray plot effectively pointless because she just flew off with Hawkman with nary a care anyways. Stupid.

Instead of that boring Ray/Kendra coupling if he had realized his mistake or was one to plan ahead and knew that he was going to let CR and FH go at least 5 episodes prior we could have had character development for every single one of the characters including a not long for this show Captain Cold and the Captain Canary ship. Instead Captain Cold and Hawkgirl/Hawkman are written off with not so much as a hint of foreshadowing. Kurt Vonnegaut suggests that a well written story is constructed so well that the reader could pick up a pen and finish it themselves if need be. Who could opine that Ray and Kendra would randomly get together, Captain Canary would have a 5 second love story and then Captain Cold would sacrifice himself (exactly as Michael Scofield did) in place of Mick sacrificing himself, in place of Atom sacrificing himself and they'd all be written off the show. Stupid. stupid, wasteful writing. Even if you have no fucking clue what you are doing you don't advertise it. Stupid.

Edited by slayer2

I think they've only decided to get rid of the Hawks after it became clear they are very unpopular. By that point much of the season was already written (and probably shot), thus lack of foreshadowing.

I'm glad they are gone, they just didn't gel with the rest of the show. I hope other shows would dump their dead weight this fast, without wasting something like 4 seasons to make an unpopular and frankly miscast character happen.

• Love 9
(edited)

I suspect they realized as the show was filming that the Hawks just weren't working out.  The lack of screen time they received in the final 2-3 episodes, which resolved their storylines, should be proof of that.  They don't even get a good-bye which indicates the writers and producers knew the characters just weren't working out.  The writers clearly couldn't think of much to do with Kendra other than focusing on her love life.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
(edited)

I really don't get the hate here. Yes they are writers but they are also allowed to write what they want to write. Of course it's not as simple as "we couldn't think of what else to do" - and it is honestly "no one liked these characters and we wrote ourselves into one hell of a corner with the love triangle and we'd rather keep Ray."

Seriously about the only way they could have saved Kendra would to have killed off these Hawks and picked up a different version of Hawkgirl in a different time period so she could have a totally different personality. And then she'd have to make new connections with the team because it really wouldn't be the Kendra we watched for a season. So yea, they can either give the Hawks a happy ending and have them in their pool of characters to use on any of the Flarrowverse shows OR they could try to make something work that people were not responding well to. I think they made the right choice.

And now they can bring in new characters and tell new stories and I think that's a very good thing. Both for the creative flow of the writers room and for people to get excited about season two.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 8
(edited)

I don't think they ever had any idea what to do with Kendra. It's like they think they needed a main love story and Kendra had no other storyline so she became the love interest. Her entire purpose revolved around her being someone's love interest, whether it was Carter, Ray or Savage. All her talks with Sara were about her love life. 

Their better "love" story was one they weren't even writing with Snart and Sara. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, slayer2 said:

This may have been posted in Mind Your Surroundings (and maybe in the spoiler thread here), but in case there's anyone here who doesn't read those, here's the interview I believe was being referenced.

Also, they're talking about what to do with the JSA now that they've name-dropped it.

• Love 2

I just wonder how the Waverider is going to survive without their resident barista??

I think MG & the other writers made the right choice in removing the Hawks from s2 without killing them in s1. MG is generally less than eloquent in his interviews, but that doesn't change the fact that they had boxed themselves into pretty boring storylines with the Hawks & linked them too much to VS's death. A fresh start away from the show was needed for them and perhaps they can bring them back when they have a better idea with what to do with them. Because at the end of the season all I know about Kendra is she was a barista in love with Carter & Ray, and perhaps even Cisco. And Carter well he dies well & frequently. Those are not characters that are vital in a group ensemble in a new season.

• Love 4

Ok I know in the Flarrowverse we tend to dislike MG, but his "that's not even hyperbole and you know I'm prone to hyperbole" regarding the big bad of season two making VS look like the small time made me laugh.

I'm so IN for this. Depending on how far into the future JSA is established, I hope that Oliver or Roy were founding members. If it's really far, I would settle for John Diggle Jr. (which would be a GREAT way to bring him back!). I know Flash has shown Barry's statue as a founding member of the Justice League but it would be a trip if enough things have changed that it's Wally who helps for the JSA.

Anyway, I kind of hope part of the team's mission now is helping make sure future JSA people realize their hero's destiny or something like that (think Quantum Leap - putting right what once went wrong...). Since we know this team can't HELP but meddle in time - I'd love it if their meddling served a higher, good purpose.

1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Isn't the JSA in the past?

I think in the comics it is, but I assumed on the show it would be set in the future as the force that Legends establishes to stop the Thanagarians attack since they took out VS. It just kind of all fits. I'm sure they would have used Justice League if they were allowed but they aren't so JSA it is.

12 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't think they ever had any idea what to do with Kendra. It's like they think they needed a main love story and Kendra had no other storyline so she became the love interest. Her entire purpose revolved around her being someone's love interest, whether it was Carter, Ray or Savage. All her talks with Sara were about her love life. 

Their better "love" story was one they weren't even writing with Snart and Sara. 

I'm saying! Guggenheim has a very very hard time writing for women who aren't fucking someone, contemplating fucking someone or previously fucking someone. He never gave Kendra anything to do outside of being the "destiny" of Hawkman or being the shellshocked "housewife" of Atom. When he finally had her confront Vandal Savage in the one purpose she has on the show they had her sacrifice it for Hawkman's memory, not even his life just his memory. It's just so trashily written and such a kick in the face to the comics. Even with a better actor they could only marginally rise above this shitty, shitty writing. There's no reason to run out of stories for a Hawkman or Hawkgirl and there's certainly no reason to write them into a corner. I guess at least he didn't fridge her, which truly is a miracle on a Guggenheim show.

(edited)
13 hours ago, MarkHB said:

This may have been posted in Mind Your Surroundings (and maybe in the spoiler thread here), but in case there's anyone here who doesn't read those, here's the interview I believe was being referenced.

Also, they're talking about what to do with the JSA now that they've name-dropped it.

Thank you for posting this. That is the exact interview I was referencing and fretting over. I also am expressly concerned over his mention of Huntress. My only comfort is that Jessica De Gouw is busy on a much more intelligible show and I pray she won't show up here. Huntress is my favourite character in the Arrowverse and I shudder to think how he would ruin her, especially since he already has a similarly grey character in Sara Lance already on the show. Vixen would be the best call IMO.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

At least this is better than the "blame the actor /actress" a lot of show-runners and writers are doing.  Since Kendra only had two story-lines (fail at love with Ray and fail to kill Savage), they really did run out of material fairly early on.

• Love 2