Type keyword(s) to search

Tomorrow Today: Media & Behind The Scenes Of LOT

• Start Topic

I really wonder what the contracts look like for that show. Did they do typical 3 year one where they can of course kill them off whenever they want but lock them in for 3 years so they aren't looking for other pilots. 

I'm not sure what kind of contracts they signed but probably the standard 3 years. WM might not have signed a new contract. He might be working on his Flash deal. Caity Lotz finished her deal on Arrow so she surely got a new one. But who knows.

Marc Guggenheim did say "The way we think of it is each arc, each season is its own separate movie. What we want to do is have each separate movie have its own identity. So almost to the point where each season was telling one big story that you could sort of subtitle, like the way you do subtitle 'American Horror Story,' if that makes sense." (which is from somewhere but I didn't write the source. Google has it in multi articles but I don't know the original).

Edited by tarotx

"I'm in charge, in case any of you have forgotten"

"I remember. I just don't care"

I love Cold so much, it'll be a shame if he's only on for one season. However, that might be all WM was willing to sign on for.

It's risky to make major cast changes every year. How many people have said they're only watching for Sara and Cold? There's no way of knowing if new characters would have the same appeal. Also American Horror Story may have a different story every year, but they reuse the most popular actors playing different characters every season.

• Love 3

Oh we could totally kill Hawkman for Zatanna, I'd be really okay with that. Then kill Heatwave for Zinda, we'd be golden. Zatanna wouldn't be nearly as expensive as the Hawks or Ray, I'd imagine she'd be around the same as Captain Cold, element junk is easy to do these days.

• Love 1

It will be interesting to see what they plan on doing for s2 with any cast changes. American Horror Story and now American Crime have both been insulated seasons with a complete different set of characters & theme, but the cast has remained the same. True Detective went another direction and recast the entire show to disastrous results. So it could be good or bad. But it's going to be tricky if they want to keep the same cast because people just can't take on a new superhero/secret identity every year. But we're all getting ahead of ourselves since I'm not even sure they have released that LoT will be getting a 2nd season.

Oh we could totally kill Hawkman for Zatanna, I'd be really okay with that. Then kill Heatwave for Zinda, we'd be golden. Zatanna wouldn't be nearly as expensive as the Hawks or Ray, I'd imagine she'd be around the same as Captain Cold, element junk is easy to do these days.

Oh, I'd gladly kill both the Hawks for Zatanna. I'm not sure about getting rid of Heatwave; I think I'm going to really like him. It might be a moot point though, as the impression I've gotten is that DP is only here to work with WM, and if he's not sticking around for another season . . .Anyway, they could free up some money by not having BR return; you know he didn't come cheap.

I suppose if they are going to focus on magic next year, they won't need any of the science types (which sadly includes Rip, unless they're still going to do time travel). They could bring in Constantine to be the team "leader", and Vixen; keep Sara (because there might be riots if they try to get rid of her again) and anybody else who wants to stick around for another season.

Still, it's risky.

I think comparing LOT to shows like that isn't what they mean. Those shows change very thing every year, plots and characters who their actors play. At most I think a team member will change here and there every season. They won't play new characters every year or anything like that. There are some characters like Sara who IMO should be there for the long haul.

I still don't buy the Constantine or magic stuff.

And I doubt WM/DP only signed on for one season since they previously said they didn't.

Edited by Proteus

Hopefully with a second season we'll get more complex female characters, and some older actress, and hopefully at least one women of colour.

I'd pay them money to get rid of Sara.

Hopefully both halves of Firestorm are around for season two, if there is one.

I wanted Hawkgirl and I am going to enjoy her even if she isn't the best character on this show.  And I would love, love, love Zatanna.  I would take just an episode or two of Constatine and be happy as can be.

I don't mind if they trade characters out or only have some of them around for a few episode here and there in the future, but I do think it would be wise for them to keep some characters around to be fan favorites.  I think someone like Cold is in a great position because he can do this OR a few episodes of Flash and still have plenty of time to do other things.  It's got to be a great reoccurring gig.

I guess since it's mid-season, TPTB thought it needed an extra promotional push -- even though it's been promoted since last spring.... I wonder what CBS thinks about the network quickly becoming a marketing vehicle for DC?

I've been thinking about this.  CBS doesn't have its own film division now, so it's not like they're in direct competition with WB at the box office (Paramount is part of Viacom, and the only official connection between the two is having the Redstones at the top of the respective BoDs).  Beyond that, they can run something like these two specials on the cheap, sell out the inventory in advance without having to worry much about the ratings, and avoid the double-bind they would have with iZombie: either waste the post-Flash Spring Premiere (what is that?) spot on a rerun, or waste an episode of a fading female-centric genre show against the season premiere of Agent Carter. From an investment perspective, running two half-hour commercials (with the payoff for the audience of Wonder Woman footage and the new Suicide Squad trailer) is probably a smart decision.

What CBS presumably really wants is space at the table for more of their shows, but it's not like theirs are doing too well on the CW.

• Love 1

Haven't seen this posted yet:

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/64843/dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-has-the-most-dysfuntional-family-you-could-imagine/

DC's Legends of Tomorrow lived up to its name with a legendarily huge appearance at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena. During today's CW session, a whopping 16-member panel of the Arrow-Flash spinoff—including the entire cast and six executive producers—took the stage to talk about its inception, time travel and what the future may hold for the heroes.

Citing a call from network prez Mark Pedowitz and their mutual desire to find more real estate to serve the characters previously established on their other superhero shows, executive producer Greg Berlanti assured the room that, despite its lineage, Legends does not mean The Flash and Arrow are required viewing to enjoy the ride. "They're a band of time-traveling rogues, so it's harder for Arrow and The Flash to be connected to it throughout the season... but [knowing] the history of those shows should make this one more fun

And speaking of fun, it's pretty clear that Legends is lighter than both of its forebears, thanks in part to team leader Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill), who corrals a team of heroes and villains in the pilot to battle Vandal Savage (Casper Crump), a maniac destroying the world in the future. "Rip does have a sense of humor," said Darvill, adding that much of the comedy comes from tensions among his colleagues-at-arms and their often failed attempts to bring down Savage. "When it starts to fall apart, it's really frustrating," he laughed. "[Rip] didn't pick these people because he likes them."

"There is a domestic dramedy aspect to the show," continued executive producer Phil Klemmer of the lineup, which includes rageaholic badass White Canary (Caity Lotz), distemperate baddies Captain Cold (Wentworth Miller) and Heat Wave (Dominic Cooper), nuclear-powered duo Firestorm (Victor Garber and Franz Drameh), tech nerd The Atom (Brandon Routh) and bickering immortals Hawkman and Hawkgirl (Falk Hentschel and Ciara Renee). "Rip is having to share his time-traveling spaceship with this [crew] of knuckleheads...it's the most dysfunctional family you could imagine."

The producers also explained that Legends' time-traveling rules will be established as the show progresses and that there will be "real consequences" instead of convenient reset buttons to undo plot twists. That means if someone dies, they die. So does that also mean a revolving door of new heroes and villains? Berlanti confirmed that we "could see a different [cast] panel in a few years," while fellow EP Andrew Kreisberg made sure to state that, for right now, the cast doesn't need to worry about Tomorrow.

"This is our secret wish list," he said at the panel's close. "This is our dream cast

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 2

I don't think he's whining - he just got sprinkled with exposition fairy dust there for a minute.  I love Ray's line to Oliver about Rip Hunter being hard to "Google" in his own preview.  I think letting Ray be sciency, goofy, and funny is the way to go with his character.  Though I do not care if he and Snart fight a lot because that is going to be fun as well.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 3

Thanks.  Normally I dislike that kind of thing (not a fan of the manpain...) but even if LoT can't escape the heavy handedness of the Flarrow verse writers, AD should be able to mitigate the worst of it.  

After rewatching that promo a few times, it struck me that poor Ray looks really, really dumb in the suit. 

• Love 2

Since the Arrow board likes to post all the negative reviews of this show. Here's some positive ones or ones that are still looking forward to the show. Or for me, otherwise known as people that understand the purpose of a Pilot.

The Pilot is always the weakest episode of any tv show ever. That's why it doesn't even get an episode title. If I judged every show by it's pilot alone, I would have nothing to watch on tv. I go by, did it make me want to see where it goes. And most these reviews seem to be on that mindset from the pilot. They want to see where it goes and if it gets better once the info dumping is out of the way. 

Advance Review: DC’s Legends of Tomorrow “Pilot, Parts 1 & 2” (SERIES PREMIERE)

The two part pilot episode is extremely well balanced, and gives all of the talented actors a chance to shine. The MVPs of the pilot are Darvill and Garber, who get quite a bit of character development as the time traveling adventure begins. The most unlikely team-up goes to White Canary, Captain Cold, and Heatwave, who really just don’t give a damn about the rules of time travel…and decide to hit the bar. I can’t even begin to express how much fun I had watching this specific series of events unfold, and I think that this trio is going to create some exciting and interesting developments for the team.

http://www.comicsonline.com/2016/01/advance-review-legends-of-tomorrow-pilot-parts-1-2-series-premiere/

DC's Legends of Tomorrow - Pilot - Advanced Review. Time Bandits. 

While the Legends of Tomorrow pilot is far from perfect, there are glimpses of potential. With DC Comics having such a rich history that spans decades, the possibilities are endless. I for one look forward to where the series takes us and when.

http://www.yourentertainmentcorner.com/?p=81098

Legends of Tomorrow Advance Review: The Best DC Pilot Yet

In a year where I found the most enjoyable "comic book movie" to be the two-part crossover event between The Flash and Arrow, it's probably no surprise that closing out 2015 a sneak preview of DC's Legends of Tomorrow was a treat. 

The series delivers a sharp, enjoyable pilot that's arguably the most attention-grabbing and entertaining from any of the current crop of superhero shows.

2016 is the year of comic book on a TV and film. With so many movies and shows the air, it would be easy for it all to become white noise...but DC's Legend of Tomorrow promises to give the year a suitably impressive kickoff and fulfills the promise of being the most ambitious DC adapation yet. 

http://comicbook.com/2015/12/29/legends-of-tomorrow-advance-review/

‘DC’s Legends of Tomorrow’ Review: Comedy and Chaos Collide

The show’s two-episode premiere can be chaotic in that respect, but it’s also an entertaining spectacle that careens from the awkward to the fantastic often within the same stream of dialogue. There’s a lot of humor — there are plenty of characters always standing around, ready to make quips, and Ray even gets in a “whoops!” — and a lot of action sequences (including from Victor Garber). But there are times when all of the Legends are fighting at once that feels like kids playing with action figures. And to be fair, that may essentially be true.

For now, it’s a fast-paced action-adventure story with good visuals, fun references, intriguing twists, and a sprawling cast that — rather like Rip Hunter, in exasperated schoolmarm mode —it doesn’t know quite how to corral. They are heroes, however reluctant, but they aren’t legends. Yet. But there’s potential, and plenty of time.

http://collider.com/legends-of-tomorrow-review/

• Love 4

Most of the reviews have been decent, good and even most of the bad see the potential. You have to show case the whole cast in the pilot. That's the point. 

I think the big issue is the Hawks are going to seem like they have a lot of screen time compare to everyone else since there are two of them to get to know. And the character who does have the most screen time is new and used to introduce the whol4 cast more so than to really get to know him. 

INTERVIEW: "LEGENDS OF TOMORROW'S" GARBER LEAVES THE HEROICS TO HIS OTHER HALF

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/interview-legends-of-tomorrows-garber-leaves-the-heroics-to-his-other-half

...When you fuse together, Franz Drameh plays Firestorm. Would you like to steer Firestorm yourself and be able to play that superhero aspect of the character?

No, I'd rather die! No. The whole point of this is that I get to go home when he's Firestorm. No. I would never have signed up for it if I had to play Firestorm. No

....Does your schedule on this show allow you any room to go and do some other projects as well?

Well, at the moment, this is basically taking all my time. As time goes on, I'm sure, and there's a hiatus period. Depending on how many episodes I'm working on per season, all of that, will affect the future in terms of…my manager is sitting right there. He's on his phone right now making deals as we speak. He's determined I'll be working on my hiatus, and I'm saying, "Hold off a bit!"...

Edited by tarotx
Is Legends of Tomorrow going to be the most awesome new show of 2016?

....It definitely has potential. The complicated plot is concerning — the show's two-part season premiere tries to cover a lot of ground in just a couple of hours — and the teeming cast seems at time to be jostling for position. But Legends of Tomorrow's action sequences are eye-popping, taking all that the Arrow and Flash creators have learned about stunts and special effects and fitting them into complexly choreographed fights, resembling the splash pages of comics fans' dreams....

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/legends-of-tomorrow-everything-you-need-to-know-20160118#ixzz3xfFY1W57[

.....I really like this version of her in our show because she is just so lost and haunted, like the sort of assassin or like a samurai without a master. When we find her on our show, she is gone to the ends of the Earth, just trying to find herself or disappear. She's just such a tragic character. And even though she's badass, her stories for me are all about her trying to find human connection and to get back what she lost when she was resurrected.

I really like the idea that being brought back in the Lazarus Pit, that blood has to be repaid with blood, that there's something missing from her, but to give her that sort of possibility of redemption and have that be in the form of love, romantic or finally finding a surrogate family within our team as motley a crew as they are. There's something really sweet about – it’s kind of like a family story, just because, I mean, Snart is an abused kid, Rory burns his house down, Stein and Clarissa never had kids, Ray lost his fiancée. Everybody comes in with just, like, a little hole in their person. A lot of baggage, but beneath all of the power and bluster and humor, everybody’s really in need. I almost feel like The Waverider’s kind of like a time-traveling halfway home, where you have these people who kick ass and they want to save the world, but they’re also there to get their lives back together....

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/18/legends-of-tomorrows-phil-klemmer-on-the-possibility-of-other-pl/

Small Hawk centric promos

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAqM6qETbJP/?taken-by=falkhentschel

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAsYhXzzbGb/?taken-by=falkhentschel

• Love 1

I like that they are keeping her darkness and that being with this team of misfits will help her find who she is. Which she never knew even before her death. For all of her adult life Sara had to become someone else to survive, now she can finally live for herself. She can be Sara Lance again. 

• Love 2

Caity Lotz Steps Into the Light on "Legends of Tomorrow"

IMDb: You've been in a very dark storyline for a while on "Arrow." Tell me what was like to bring Sara into an entirely new context on "Legends"?

Caity Lotz: It was a little confusing, actually, at first, because the first two episodes are kind of different for Sara than all the other episodes. When I first got the script, I was like, "Wait, where are we going with the character? This is just a totally different direction, or what?" And they were like "No, no, no. It's still the same Sara. We want to keep it that way." So there was a little figuring out for me, but I really get moving more into the season, especially Episode 3. There's some really cool Sara stuff.

http://comicbook.com/2016/01/19/caity-lotz-on-the-differences-between-arrow-and-legends-of-tomor/

You're characterized as kind of a little lost, and in search of that kind of direction, in the pilot. Did you feel that when you were on Arrow or is that kind of a new element to Sara?

I think Season Two [of Arrow] was fabulous character season for Sara. She got to do a lot and change a lot and d\o a lot and experience a lot.

Then Season Three, there was nothing really there. She dies, and then she’s lying there dead. I don’t think Season Three was a good one for her. Season Four, I only did a couple of episodes but that was all setting up for Legends.

Now, this is a giant character piece, especially the first season and the first two episodes in particular in about setting up a big story that’s very plot driven. As it goes, it gets deeper and more character driven and I really like that.  

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

2 more days!!! I'm excited, even if the pilot like every pilot ever is a big info dump with a lot of the Hawks. I already love a lot of the characters, as long as they get some screentime and good lines, I'll be good

I put up with Because Comics for years I can handle the Hawks being boring. I also don't care about the villain on shows, I'm here for the characters and their interactions with each other. 

• Love 5

ETA:  I'm also getting very excited that the show is finally here.  (top posting because the quote box won't let me add it below)

One of the quotes above references something I didn't like in this review.  Good to know that it might just be the first few episodes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/dcs-legends-tomorrow-tv-review-857165

That leaves Lotz as the best candidate to become a lead, but the opening two episodes have decided that Sara Lance wasn't loose and goofy enough for this new series, so everything that made her tortured and interesting gets immediately undercut or undone.

Edited by tessaray

With Sara being happier, I think it's a front of her trying to be who she wants to be, until the darkness rears it's ugly head. Or who knows maybe she just killed a bunch of people during her walkabout and that's why she feels great for the first two episodes. 

I can never take reviews like that seriously. The point of every pilot is exposition!

I think people are blinded by the past 4 seasons of Arrow and 1.5 of Flash that they don't remember the actual pilot from seeing it the first time. Neither of them were amazing, it was a lot of set up and getting to know all the characters. Just like this one. I remember not being impressed by Caitlin or Cisco in the Flash pilot and thinking Oliver was too much like Batman in the Arrow pilot. He wasn't the Oliver Queen I remembered from Smallville or the comics. They both got better after the pilot when they got to settle in and tell the actual plot and we got to know the other characters more. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I think there are two things. Sara sees this as maybe there is finally a purpose of it all so she has some hope. Plus the tptb just couldn't past up the chance to have her high in the 70's. 

• Love 1

It took me 4 or 5 episodes to get into Arrow.  I was stuck at home sick - luckily I had the first half of S1 stacked up on the dvr.  I liked Flash within an episode or 2 though.

Honestly, as long as they don't completely retcon who Sara is, I'm still along for the ride.  I have a FF button for the other characters that don't interest me...  

• Love 1

In this video Marc Guggenheim talks LOT. At the end he is asked 'what character surprised him' and Marc says can he say what relationship and he talks Sara and Rip. 

There are some casting spoilers in that interview.

Edited by tarotx

Interesting that Rip chose Sara because he wants to use her assassin skills not to be a hero.

I wonder if she's the one that ultimately kills Vandal Savage in the future.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

An interesting interview that addresses the potential future of the show:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/20/dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-isnt-returning-its-characters-to-the-flash-and-arrow-any-time-soon

"He continued, "There's no plan to return them to their sister shows any time soon. We really love the ensemble that we've built, and a big part of the cache of the show is the dynamic between this group of people. While we always say it's fun to mix and match and constantly replenish the team, we don't want to do that without losing the magic that we currently have."

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 2

Interesting that Rip chose Sara because he wants to use her assassin skills not to be a hero.

I wonder if she's the one that ultimately kills Vandal Savage in the future.

I'm kind of hoping that she isn't the one to kill him. Or at least that she chooses against it. Sara has been wanting to get away from that whole life style, yeah she is used to it now and it is like 2nd nature to her but she seems to want to try to move away from that.

• Love 1