Type keyword(s) to search

Tomorrow Today: Media & Behind The Scenes Of LOT

• Start Topic

Candice and Caity talked about their respective shows at the Superman Celebration in Metropolis and while there are several interesting comments by both ladies, this one stood out:

Will Legends of Tomorrow be a full or limited series?

Lotz: From my understanding, we are doing 15 episodes for this first season. And the reason they are doing a smaller amount is because they want to take the same amount of money that they would for 23 episodes and put it into 15 so that they can really make it big. The new show is going to have a lot of special effects, kind of like those on The Flash, and also a lot of the fighting and stunt stuff that you see on Arrow. So I think it's really going to be an interesting combination. Who knows what's going to happen for season two.

I'm not sure how sustainable that budget will be for only 15 hours of CW airtime, but we'll see....

• Love 2

Flash and Arrow have been doing a fairly decent job with the CW budget. However they have 3 flying heroes, one with wings and another with flames, two with guns that need special effects, a shrinking man and whatever power the new guy has, plus time travel that I would assume means future and past sets (I'm hoping to see some old Stargate sets). That's a lot of effects for one show. 

Sara is pretty much the only one that doesn't need special effects and the actress is trained to do her own fight scenes. That could save money on only using a stunt double half of the time. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Two people from the gone too soon Forever. I guess they can help with the writing for the past on LoT. 

I'm happy were are getting some new writers for this show, hopefully they come with some creative ideas. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Wonder why they didn't mention the guy sitting on the right, in front of the standing Phil Klemmer: Chris Fedak, creator of Chuck and also executive producer of Forever... as if I wasn't excited enough for the show, him being on the team just skyrocketed my excitement level :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Legends of Tomorrow Concept Art. I'm a little upset it's such a sausage fest. Even Barry is there, where are Sara and Hawkgirl? They better get their own artwork without any of the guys in it. 

Legends%2Bof%2BTomrrow%2B-%2BConcept%2BA

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)

Warning: some of the info in these articles is kinda spoilery...

Legends of Tomorrow First Look: See exclusive concept art of the team of heroes (and villains) in battle
BY SHIRLEY LI   Posted July 3 2015 — 11:00 AM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/03/legends-of-tomorrow-first-look-phil-klemmer-concept-art?hootPostID=61a57077bfd2bc70bee5b530354aeb49

FIRESTORM BATTLES BAD GUYS IN "DC'S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW" CONCEPT ART
Posted: 22 hours ago | Updated: 21 hours ago
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/firestorm-battles-bad-guys-in-dcs-legends-of-tomorrow-concept-art

Edited by tv echo

Maybe Sara and Hawkgirl aren't there because they're afraid of getting sued by James Cameron* for unauthorized battle with a Terminator?

*Or whoever has the rights.

I haven't looked at the more-recent links that got posted, but in Hawkgirl's case I can imagine that they don't want to spill the beans on her look yet.  Depending on when the artwork was done, they might not have even finalized it yet.

OMG! Who the heck made that LoT concept art? Some CW/DC intern who is in the beginning stages of their Photoshop tutorial? I'm not even going to harp on the lack of White Canary and Hawkgirl, who are the two I actually really want to see on this show otherwise, I wouldn't even GAF about this spinoff at all. But how did this get approved? I mean, Firestorm looks fine so props for trying to, at least, pay attention to one of the stars, I guess, but...

The Flash's whole body is confusing as hell. His legs are going one way while his body is contorted another with his head doing a complete 180 and in the process losing his neck while, at the same time, twisting his right hand awkwardly at the wrist? Also, this isn't even his show (though I know he'll be an important guest star) so, maybe, let the LoT characters have the spotlight for now.

Part of Captain Cold's neck/shoulder seems to be missing and his cold gun, and its effect, is colored/drawn so oddly that he looks like an obvious copy/paste from elsewhere to add into this whole image? Also, he is serving some Madame Tussauds tease there in his wax figure-like stillness.

But the most grievous mistake of all is that The A.T.O.M. is, apparently, a very close cousin, albeit a better-looking one, of The Great Mutato (from that awesome Cher-lovin' episode of The X-Files "Post-Modern Prometheus"). Palmer has, no joke, three eyes, two noses, two mouths, and two chins in this concept "art." Heeheehee.

This is what media giant DC Entertainment/WB/CW/Time Warner released as an official promo photo of LoT in a widely-circulated magazine? For reals?

• Love 1

I imagine they just don't need concept art for the White Canary.  They can just watch the teaser or season two of Arrow to watch Sara fight.  If concept art is to help them figure out the special effects (or provide a hint of what a concept would look like with special effects) it would make sense to only use it on the "super" powered. 

That doesn't explain Hawkgirl but I'm guessing they are still figuring her out. 

(edited)

Laura Hurley is an Arrow/Flash reviewer for Examiner.com and WhatCulture.com (yes, that's sarcasm in her tweet)...

Laura Hurley ‏@lah9891  Jul 3
I especially like how the two main characters who happen to be ladies are conspicuously absent. It's only 2015. 

Entertainment Weekly @EW
ICYMI: The new #LegendsofTomorrow artwork is badass: http://ow.ly/Pa2WN #DCUniverse

https://twitter.com/lah9891/status/617131061483565056

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I agree, I think it sounds like a good idea- it would distinguish it from the other shows and probably not hurt the quality in terms of the producers having to divide their attention between so many shows at once.

It just sounds more like the kind of arrangement a cable network would make and not necessarily the CW.

• Love 1

Maybe they are thinking ahead, if the CW doesn't make it. If they are successful, a 13 episode format could help it find another home as a summer series or an original for a streaming service.  Probably not Netflix though, with all their Marvel superhero series.

Maybe they are thinking ahead, if the CW doesn't make it. If they are successful, a 13 episode format could help it find another home as a summer series or an original for a streaming service. Probably not Netflix though, with all their Marvel superhero series.

Netflix doesn't seem to be anti DC though, they snatched up the airing rights to Gotham pretty quickly.

Thirteen is a standard half season order that's been done before, but I'd imagine if the show is successful that the CW might order more episodes for the next season. Much like how Fox ordered Gotham to up their episode count to 22.

• Love 1

Netflix doesn't seem to be anti DC though, they snatched up the airing rights to Gotham pretty quickly.

Thirteen is a standard half season order that's been done before, but I'd imagine if the show is successful that the CW might order more episodes for the next season. Much like how Fox ordered Gotham to up their episode count to 22.

I think Tessaray meant more like if The CW itself doesn't make it, which is a real possibility (I hope not though, I watch at least 3 or 4 CW shows, and I really like 2 of them).

• Love 3

I think Tessaray meant more like if The CW itself doesn't make it, which is a real possibility (I hope not though, I watch at least 3 or 4 CW shows, and I really like 2 of them).

Oh I get that. I just meant that I don't think they'd be hesitant to pick up a DC property if the CW does fall. The only thing that might put them off about Legends would be the budget.

At this point I'd say I'm not sure about Netflix because it's pretty clear they want to expand their demos, not make more of the same. They already have the Marvel deal - so I don't see why they would want more superhero stuff. I mean, you'd think they'd want something like Hannibal, but apparently not, but they did pick up Degrassi. They have a different business model to TV, and it shows.

• Love 3

Victor Garber and Caity Lotz both said 15 episodes before The CW released their official episode orders and SpoilerTV listed it as 16. That's the only source for 16 that I've seen and it could be a typo for 15, but either way no one actually involved in the making of the show has been directly quoted as saying it's 13 episodes in S1 since before the CW Upfronts in May.

I should also point out that nowhere in that article does it say that every season is meant to be 13. It says S1 is envisioned as a 13-part serial and Guggenheim's quoted as saying every season will feel like its own movie, but there's nothing stating each season is envisioned as 13 episodes long.

(edited)

Personally, I think whether its 13, 15 or 16, a condensed season will make for an overall better show - the scripts & action can be tighter. There will be less filler. It's be like ordering filet instead of strip steak, quality over quantity. I was just reading an article on EW.com about how Heroes can avoid the mistakes of the first run and one of the ways is through shorter season. I think modern TV audiences and writer rooms are just better at producing shows with shorter runs when its serialized stories like LoT, as opposed to plot of the week shows. There is only so much you can stretch out before you are just making the story weak.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

That line about seeing secondary characters, faces never thought to be seen again, that sounds a lot like Tommy will be back in an AU.  Probably Barry's mom and Oliver's Dad.  I'd say his mom but I don't think the actress wants to come back.  I suspect they will also go for reoccurring characters like Helena but maybe not the Huntress.  Oh, I'd love to see Yao Fei alive again.   

And of course the love fern. 

Edited to add:  Did I read it right where it talked about the Atom, Heat Wave and Captain Cold doing double duty on The Flash?  Did they really mean Ray on the Flash and not Arrow?  Or was I misreading something cause of the glare?

• Love 1

They could bring him over... Who knows where Arrow is going to be when it comes back? Heck, we could have 4 eps of Olicity driving up CA-1 doing "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives." Depending on what Firestorm is doing, The Flash could have room for Ray.

Cast Photo Shoot

LOT_zpsmkubugaj.jpg

Good gravy--Wentworth STILL doesn't have a stylist.

(Sorry; it's kind of a running joke (from a fan community I was a part of) that the man cannot dress himself.)

• Love 2

I love that people are so happy that Sara's back. 

Chris E. Hayner A MINUTE AGO

The fans in the crowd are ecstatic that Sarah Lance lives. However, Caity Lotz reminds everyone that the Lazarus Pit changes people. So things could get a little crazy for her.

• Love 2

I loved that Geoff Johns called Sara's Canary one of his favorite characters on Arrow and that he loved the re visioned back story for the Black Canary. If the CCO of DC calls her Black Canary, she was Black Canary.

• Love 6

Dominic/Heatwave looks like some cross between Channing Tatum and The Rock.

Apparently they traveled back to the 60s and got the head of wardrobe from Mission: Impossible.  Everyone is styled in black, white and shade of grey, just like the IMF in every scene set in Jim Phelp's apartment.