Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lola16

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

There is this weird ad for Heineken that I just do not get at all. I think it's for a non-alcohol version or something. A guy is carrying a bottle of Heineken on a tray into what appears to be an office building and all the staffers are anxiously waving at him as if to try to get him to stop whatever he is doing but he continues to smile and make his way towards a conference room where he sees two people talking, then he freezes up as though he realizes he's made a mistake and sort of side-steps out of frame without the two people in the conference room ever seeing him.

What . . . that actual eff. The tagline is something like "Now you can . . . at work." Like, if they are advertising that you can have a non-alcoholic version of Heineken at work during lunch or something, why does the guy with the tray slink off like he's made a mistake? Why are all the employees trying to get him to stop? 

Here it is.

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have scrutinized that Amazon commercial. Dude pouring milk is still in the kitchen, to the left of Dude with coffee cup. Two ladies at the table and Dude who is probably Grandpa tripping & dropping cake on Grandma. I, too, wonder who falls asleep at their birthday party, but more than that, I wonder about the extreme diversity of that family - Black, Hispanic, and White (in alphabetic order) all in the same family? (I'm assuming coffee dude is Hispanic.)  Are there really families that diverse?  Mine are all white folks, so I can't go by my experience, but I AM curious.  And, yes, I'd take Nat King Cole over Astaire any day.  Never could stand Astaire and that weird-ass shaped head of his.

ETA: It was easy to scrutinize - they played it twice every commercial break when they first started showing it. I think it was last summer it was in such heavy rotation.

That's sort of the opposite of life insurance. You bet you're gonna die and they bet you won't.

Why do they have to be related?

9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There is this weird ad for Heineken that I just do not get at all. I think it's for a non-alcohol version or something. A guy is carrying a bottle of Heineken on a tray into what appears to be an office building and all the staffers are anxiously waving at him as if to try to get him to stop whatever he is doing but he continues to smile and make his way towards a conference room where he sees two people talking, then he freezes up as though he realizes he's made a mistake and sort of side-steps out of frame without the two people in the conference room ever seeing him.

What . . . that actual eff. The tagline is something like "Now you can . . . at work." Like, if they are advertising that you can have a non-alcoholic version of Heineken at work during lunch or something, why does the guy with the tray slink off like he's made a mistake? Why are all the employees trying to get him to stop? 

Here it is.

It's because he just walked into the background of a televised interview.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Lol, the way that woman squeaks "Sarah!" in the Jenny Craig commercial. Makes me look every time because she says it like she just caught Sarah slaughtering sheep with her bare hands.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 8

It's because he just walked into the background of a televised interview.

But, why is that so bad? Who is he bringing this Heinekin to anyway and why is he serving it on a tray? Is it for someone in the interview room, or someone else and he just happened to pass by? I still don't get it.

9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

But, why is that so bad? Who is he bringing this Heinekin to anyway and why is he serving it on a tray? Is it for someone in the interview room, or someone else and he just happened to pass by? I still don't get it.

I dunno about the tray, but I assume that he's in the habit of bringing his non-alcoholic drink to lunch meetings or whatever, but we the audience are supposed to think that everyone is warning him off because the boss is around or whatever (since we don't know it's non-alcoholic). But really they don't want the interview audience to see the non-alcoholic brew and make the same assumption that we the audience made. That's all I got. 

• Like 3

On 5/14/2021 at 7:42 PM, dleighg said:

the one I keep seeing is for Amazon Prime (I think). Has a song "there will be trouble ahead." 

I just don't get it. The end has a cake being dropped on a sleeping woman. What, they're going to reorder a new cake before she wakes up?

I admit to loving that commercial because I love the song - Let's Face The Music And Dance.

I guess they're trying to surprise the birthday girl and wake her up to the cake, but yeah, seems kinda poorly planned.

On 5/17/2021 at 11:31 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

And, yes, I'd take Nat King Cole over Astaire any day.  Never could stand Astaire and that weird-ass shaped head of his.

Yes, Astaire's head was oddly shaped, but I'd much rather hear him sing this particular song, and watching he and Ginger Rogers dance is a religious experience.

• Like 10

Yes, Astaire's head was oddly shaped, but I'd much rather hear him sing this particular song, and watching he and Ginger Rogers dance is a religious experience.

Backwards and in high heels.

• Like 16
  • Laugh 1

5 minutes ago, Popples said:

Yes. Definitely a "commercial that made [me] scratch [my head]," or at least go: Huh? 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Popples said:

I think it's funny. But then, I'm easily amused.

• Like 2

Am I too old to appreciate the new Oscar Meyer commercials? One has a choir just singing the word “Yum” (quite a fall for a company that used to be known for its jingles), and the other has a cute little girl grilling a hot dog with lasers coming out of her eyes. 

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Enthusiastic Lady on TV: I got birth control for my cow!

Me: You did what? Oh, you got birth control from your couch.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 18

On 5/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, chessiegal said:

I think it's funny. But then, I'm easily amused.

I find it amusing now, but I have to admit it took me a couple of viewings to get what was going on.

• Like 1

I have only seen the 30 second version of this ad, but the extra 30 seconds don't help me out. Does Expedia help you when you miss your plane? Does it help you when you find out you booked a crappy hotel? I've used Expedia (with care) and my understanding is that making changes is next to impossible because of the way their booking process works. You can't (for example) add a day to your hotel stay, even if there are rooms available, since the hotel "owns" those extra days, not expedia. 

• Like 2

I've read enough Tales From The Front Desk on Reddit to know that third party bookings are not desirable. You're better off dealing with the hotel directly.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2

I don't understand why she's wearing that oversized shirt in that Expedia commercial.

• Like 3

"scratch my head" isn't quite the right description, but I find this ad "noticeable" because the "spokes-model" is distinctly unglamorous. She looks like she might-- OMG-- actually be a working engineer at this company. No false eyelashes, no discernible makeup, a "non-model" body shape. I find it rather depressing that it was very "noticeable" to me for exactly these reasons (as a female engineer who doesn't wear makeup and has a distinctly "non-model" body shape LOL). Just made me realize how much there is still a type for female spokes-people.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/OqMO/vmware-welcome-change

• Like 6

I've never understood the bears in the Charmin commercials but this is just too weird to me!  Why is poppa bear telling scary stories of not having any toilet paper?  WTH?!  You're a BEAR!  Tell us about you eating a bunch of campers not having any toilet paper while taking a sh!t in the woods!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 11

On 5/26/2021 at 2:39 PM, dleighg said:

"scratch my head" isn't quite the right description, but I find this ad "noticeable" because the "spokes-model" is distinctly unglamorous. She looks like she might-- OMG-- actually be a working engineer at this company. No false eyelashes, no discernible makeup, a "non-model" body shape. I find it rather depressing that it was very "noticeable" to me for exactly these reasons (as a female engineer who doesn't wear makeup and has a distinctly "non-model" body shape LOL). Just made me realize how much there is still a type for female spokes-people.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/OqMO/vmware-welcome-change

This commercial was not at all what I was expecting based on this description of this person. I was expecting her to be advertising a product where sexiness was "necessary." I'd say the reason she's unglamorous is because they were looking for a spokesperson, not a spokesmodel. There are plenty of un-modellike women in commercials. They aren't in commercials selling glamour and beauty, but they advertise other products. If I'd seen this commercial before reading about it here first, I would have found their choice in the actress unremarkable. If she replaced Charlize Theron in the J'adore commercials, however...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'd say the reason she's unglamorous is because they were looking for a spokesperson, not a spokesmodel. There are plenty of un-modellike women in commercials.

I'd agree with this if she was identified as an actual employee. Caption: "Sarah Robinson, Senior Engineer." Then I'd give no thought at all to what she looked like. You see that ALL the time. But she's not identified, which implies to me that she was hired to be a spokesmodel. 

• Useful 1

The one that gets me right now is State Farm, where two people bring a friend to Jake's place, turns out they are twins.  They don't seem to have met before, but are thrilled to find each other.  I have questions.  They weren't raised together, so what happened?  I'm not sure I'd be as thrilled as they are at first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lh25 said:

The one that gets me right now is State Farm, where two people bring a friend to Jake's place, turns out they are twins.  They don't seem to have met before, but are thrilled to find each other.  I have questions.  They weren't raised together, so what happened?  I'm not sure I'd be as thrilled as they are at first.

Another pointless SF with Jake commercial.  At least the twins aren't bestowing pizza or cuts of meat or hand-carved knobs on Jake.  Lame and weak.  Like another stupid commercial, State Farm is there.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Another pointless SF with Jake commercial.  At least the twins aren't bestowing pizza or cuts of meat or hand-carved knobs on Jake.  Lame and weak.  Like another stupid commercial, State Farm is there.

Aw, I love the Parker one. ;-(

• Like 1

Little girl:  "Mommy!!!!  I can't find Mr. Cleggo!"

Dad: "Sssh.  Mommy's in your commode now."

Three or four listens later I realize Mommy is actually "in New York Patty mode now."

Still not sure about Mr. Cleggo, or who he is.

• Laugh 5

On 5/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, mmecorday said:

Enthusiastic Lady on TV: I got birth control for my cow!

Me: You did what? Oh, you got birth control from your couch.

Not that that makes any more sense, but y'know, good for her.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

On 5/24/2021 at 5:26 PM, Crashcourse said:

I don't understand why she's wearing that oversized shirt in that Expedia commercial.

I agree that it's an odd choice.  I think it's some sort of style nod to 90's fashion.  I think is that they were going for a quirky, preppy vibe.

I'm too unsophisticated about fashion to know whether 90's looks are already back in.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Leeds said:

Little girl:  "Mommy!!!!  I can't find Mr. Cleggo!"

Dad: "Sssh.  Mommy's in your commode now."

Three or four listens later I realize Mommy is actually "in New York Patty mode now."

Still not sure about Mr. Cleggo, or who he is.

Going by the ad, I'm going to say Mr. Cleggo is the stuffed monkey the mom handed the little girl.

Why the mom has Mr. Cleggo in the candy wrapper with her? That, I can't answer. 

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 5:04 PM, dleighg said:

Going by this commercial and another one I saw advertising Expedia Travel Week (where the SAME poor, poor traveler wants to get out of her room but CAN'T! Because there is a moving sidewalk there for some reason!) I think it's safe to say Rashida Jones is the Expedia spokeswoman now.

• Like 2

I could have sworn the Geico gecko was talking about "boning your insurance." Then I realized he was saying "bundling your insurance."

• Laugh 9

17 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Going by the ad, I'm going to say Mr. Cleggo is the stuffed monkey the mom handed the little girl.

Why the mom has Mr. Cleggo in the candy wrapper with her? That, I can't answer. 

I wasn't sure whether "Mr. Cleggo" was something else I was mishearing!

• Laugh 3

While I think Headbands of Hope is a very laudable business, every time the owner, Jess Ekstrom says her name I always hear "dress extra" which of course, is a very different thing.

On 6/7/2021 at 4:10 PM, peacheslatour said:

While I think Headbands of Hope is a very laudable business, every time the owner, Jess Ekstrom says her name I always hear "dress extra" which of course, is a very different thing.

I mis-hear the Medicare commercial with the "gift bag" benefit.  I know it's supposed to be give back, but I always hear gift bag.

• Laugh 3

The Made In pans commercial. I can't for the life of me understand what the name of the restaurant is. Anybody know?

• Like 1

There's a AAA ad where a family is moving, and Dad picks up a box and the bottom falls out, and the teenaged daughter says "Dad?", and then picks up a photo from the pile.  It's of a rock band, and Dad says, "I was the lead singer."  The girl crumples the picture up and storms off.  Um, why?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ON5N/aaa-outsmart-life-packing-tape

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RedElf said:

There's a AAA ad where a family is moving, and Dad picks up a box and the bottom falls out, and the teenaged daughter says "Dad?", and then picks up a photo from the pile.  It's of a rock band, and Dad says, "I was the lead singer."  The girl crumples the picture up and storms off.  Um, why?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ON5N/aaa-outsmart-life-packing-tape

Because the daughter is a total dork and she'll never be that cool?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Because her Dad would win the Dee Snider Lookalike Contest and she was a die hard KISS fan?  Just another bratty kid on TV Land.

• Laugh 1

there's an ad for Smile Direct Club where the name is sort of sang, but either I'm not understanding what they are singing or smile has two syllables. 

Did Congress pass some law that I'm unaware of? "Henceforth let it be known across the land: Shaquille O'Neal must forthwith be in every televised advertisement forever and ever. Amen."

• Like 2
  • Laugh 16

5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"Henceforth let it be known across the land: Shaquille O'Neal must forthwith be in every televised advertisement forever and ever. Amen."

Welp, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering that same thought...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

Why do people even hire him at this point? It doesn't help brand recognition if he advertises everything. It's just distracting.

• Like 8

I had cataract surgery on my right eye last week.  For the first time in years, I can read the fine print on ads. Amusing.

• Like 11

On 6/19/2021 at 6:55 PM, peacheslatour said:

Did Congress pass some law that I'm unaware of? "Henceforth let it be known across the land: Shaquille O'Neal must forthwith be in every televised advertisement forever and ever. Amen."

Reminds me of that point where Peyton Manning was advertising everything under the sun. 

2 hours ago, janie jones said:

Why do people even hire him at this point? It doesn't help brand recognition if he advertises everything. It's just distracting.

I agree, but  I wouldn't buy anything he was advertising anyway.  None of it (of the 6 things I see him advertise) is my cuppa.

• Like 5

Just watched a commercial where they encouraged you to call for more details.  The number was xxx-328-xxxx and the guy says, 'thirty-two, eight.'  I can see either 'three, two, eight' or 'three, twenty-eight' but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say numbers like that.

• Like 5

I know some may think I'm a total Neanderthal throwback but I don't get what the deal is with this new Mastercard True Name commercial. It claims that somehow one will get harassed, bullied, disrespected if one is trangendered via purchasing stuff with a  traditional credit card that displays one's actual name instead of the name 'one identifies with'. 

First  of all, it's been literally decades since I can recall any clerk even bothering to check to see what the name on my card is. I mean, all they seem to care about is that the card actually gets approved  so it can be used to purchase. . . whatever. Now, I'm a nonsmoker who hasn't bought booze in over a decade (and I  definitely look over 21) so that may be an issue for a booze or coffin nail buyer but I don't see how it could be for others.

Secondly, does ' the name one identifies with' mean the name one has legally changed to reflect one's legal changed  gender (which I don't see WHY there would be any problems obtaining a card under one's new legal identity)  OR does this mean that theoretically someone who is currently legally named Guinevere  could decide to be called Lancelot and they'd get a card even though this theoretical Guinevere hasn't actually had the name change  legally happen?

Also, I can't help but think that more than one fraud or scammer  could attempt to use this to claim a new identity but have no sincere  interest in anything remotely associated with LGBTQ issues. I   knew a woman that had a rather awkwardly feminized birth name ( I'll call her Robbye [with a silent e on the end not 'Rob-buy] Doe) whose own  credit got  totally trashed all because there was a guy out there named 'Robby [with no e] Doe' who  blew off countless loans and credit cards and, in spite of the fact that Ms. Doe had never even been once late with any payments or loans, the creditors totally tagged her with Mr. Doe's horrible history all because they overlooked the single letter  in their names and differing genders ( and they were completely unrelated total strangers) . Hence, I'm wondering what (if any) steps Master Card will  take to protect LGBTQ folks  and heterosexuals of conventional genders from  having this somehow boomerang on them via frauds and scammers who already are causing so many problems in this area. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 2

It simply allows them to easily use their chosen first name, on the card and in communications with the company.  So they don't have to look at a name that isn't truly theirs every time they hand it over, don't have to be called by the wrong name when they call customer service, and don't have to risk dealing with a hostile clerk demanding ID because "You're not a David" (according to research, one third of nearly one-third of those who've used some sort of ID with a name or gender that doesn't match their presentation - which most trans people have had to do, given the complications and expense in changing one's legal first name - have been denied services, harassed, or even attacked).

Mastercard implemented it two years ago (during LGBT Pride Month 2019), and it has steadily expanded with additional banks signing on, including Citibank last fall.  (And I haven't heard about any additional security/identity theft issues created by this feature.)

This expansion, and it being Pride Month, is why we're seeing additional commercials.  I like them, because they're straightforward and feature transgender and non-binary actors.

• Like 10

Bastet,

For a clerk to not let someone purchase a perfectly legal item   and attempt to give a paying customer flak seems rather unprofessional - and harassment and physical attacks by anyone are illegal and should be prosecuted.   

I don't see why someone originally named Guinevere but currently calling themselves Lancelot (or vice versa) who hasn't (yet) gotten the name legally changed  can't get cash from an ATM and purchase whatever legal item they want via said cash  if they truly believe that they'd get flak and don't want to go to the trouble of having  unprofessional clerks reprimanded and/or prosecuted. 

Of course, even WITH these  cards having someone's True Name, what's to stop a clerk from asking someone (e.g. someone buying a bottle of wine but appearing under 21 despite being  25)  who hasn't yet legally changed their name to see their driver's licence, US Passport,etc. and if the government issued ID still has the  original name, doesn't that put the potential customer back to Square One?

While we may not  hear  about additional security/identity theft issues created by this feature (via scammers and frauds who would just consider this another means to exploit victims and couldn't care less about LGBTQ issues), that doesn't mean that it's impossible for them to be happening but that the participating corporations  (who likely hope that more LGBTQ potential customers would want to pay for the feature) may not want  to publicize them.

It might help if the companies actually mentioned any steps and measures they're taking to weed out as  many potential frauds as possible but I haven't heard of any measure but, of course, anyone who has heard of any would be welcome to mention it in this Subforum. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blergh said:

For a clerk to not let someone purchase a perfectly legal item   and attempt to give a paying customer flak seems rather unprofessional - and harassment and physical attacks by anyone are illegal and should be prosecuted.   

Yes.  The commercials are not about what should happen in a society that isn't transphobic, but about how this one seemingly little thing can make a big difference for transgender people living in our real one, in which such abuses do happen and often without repercussion.

13 minutes ago, Blergh said:

I don't see why someone originally named Guinevere but currently calling themselves Lancelot (or vice versa) who hasn't (yet) gotten the name legally changed  can't get cash from an ATM and purchase whatever legal item they want via said cash  if they truly believe that they'd get flak and don't want to go to the trouble of having  unprofessional clerks reprimanded and/or prosecuted. 

They can.  But they shouldn't have to; this is easier, and now it's an additional option available to them.

14 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Of course, even WITH these  cards having someone's True Name, what's to stop a clerk from asking someone (e.g. someone buying a bottle of wine but appearing under 21 despite being  25)  who hasn't yet legally changed their name to see their driver's licence, US Passport,etc. and if the government issued ID still has the  original name, doesn't that put the potential customer back to Square One?

Yes, that can still happen; age verification issues are separate, and not what this program is addressing.

16 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It might help if the companies actually mentioned any steps and measures they're taking to weed out as  many potential frauds as possible but I haven't heard of any measure but, of course, anyone who has heard of any would be welcome to mention it in this Subforum. 

I figure they're the same security measures implemented to protect all cardholders, but anyone who worries there are particular vulnerabilities could contact Mastercard or the issuing bank to discuss those concerns.  I would not expect that information to be included in the commercials.

• Like 3

I do not use my real name on the internet. I have a nom-de-net that I use - so much, I registered it with the county for $40 as a "dba," saying I use the name for selling crap on eBay without using my real name.  By showing the DBA registration to my credit union, that name has been added to my checking account. Telling Master Card it's my DBA, they issued a second card in that name. There are ways around displaying your birth name, until they ask for I.D.  It's legal, as long as you're not attempting fraud.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

OK, I concede that that the services may help some folks have things more convenient when purchasing things but I'm not entirely sure it's as vital as air to the clientele as the ads would claim. 

• Like 1