Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lola16

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Action Saturdays on Cozi Tv.

I wouldn't consider Murder She Wrote an action series unless they showed Jessica Fletcher drinking too much prune juice.   We don't see her hopping into bed with anyone.  We don't see her pulling a "special friend" out of her nightstand,  We don't see her in car chase scenes.  Jessica doesn't have a driver's license, she rides a bicycle. 

I have always considered Jessica Fletcher a cat lady, and yet she doesn't have any pets. 

From 1984 thru 2003, Jessica Fletcher was never shown in any romantic relationships whatsoever.  She didn't have any children.  Other than writing books and solving murders, what else did she do with her time?

And after awhile, who would want to be anywhere near the woman?  Everywhere she goes, someone dies.  I would think after awhile all of the Cabot Cove residents would see the woman coming, and then hightail it in the other direction in an effort to avoid her.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

So. 
About that "Bob Ross" Mountain Dew commercial: 

Am I the only one who had to track it down because the voice sounded so much like John Billingsley?
It's apparently not Billingsley,* but, interestingly, the Mountain Dew folks created an entire 40+ minute pseudo-Bob Ross painting episode for the 15 second commercial spot.

*The bulk of the voice acting in the 40+ minutes does not sound like Billingsley, and has a bit more of a southern (or other) drawl than Ross or Billingsley would have ever used.

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

12 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

My daughter got one for her very small house, but it wouldn’t fit the TP she buys at Costco. It’s such a great idea, though!

Really? Huh, we get our TP at Costco too and it fits fine.

I don't understand why one of the Peleton instructors suddenly lapses into dialogue from a movie about a chain gang. "They can't stop you. They can't break you." Who the hell is he talking about?

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

So. 
About that "Bob Ross" Mountain Dew commercial: 

Am I the only one who had to track it down because the voice sounded so much like John Billingsley?
It's apparently not Billingsley,* but, interestingly, the Mountain Dew folks created an entire 40+ minute pseudo-Bob Ross painting episode for the 15 second commercial spot.

*The bulk of the voice acting in the 40+ minutes does not sound like Billingsley, and has a bit more of a southern (or other) drawl than Ross or Billingsley would have ever used.

I hate that commercial with a passion.  I really do.  That dude gets more airtime now that he is dead than he ever did when he was alive.   I don't mind some of the other things that are linked to Ross, but the idea that he would ever paint a soda bottle is a bit too far for me.   A happy little soda bottle with a cheery little cap.  Nope, not a fan.

What Jimmy Dean is to sausages, Ross is to just about everything else.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

23 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I hate that commercial with a passion.  I really do.  That dude gets more airtime now that he is dead than he ever did when he was alive.   I don't mind some of the other things that are linked to Ross, but the idea that he would ever paint a soda bottle is a bit too far for me.   A happy little soda bottle with a cheery little cap.  Nope, not a fan.

What Jimmy Dean is to sausages, Ross is to just about everything else.

Are you saying you don't like seeing Bob Ross being disrespected by dragging his corpse onto a cynical money grab or you just don't like Bob Ross?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Are you saying you don't like seeing Bob Ross being disrespected by dragging his corpse onto a cynical money grab or you just don't like Bob Ross?

Although this was addressed to @icemiser69,  speaking for myself only, and having watched quite a few Bob Ross shows un-ironically, I am pretty sure he'd be okay with this usage if it made people happy. But since it's bound to cause controversy, I think he might be rolling over at least once in his grave, but then get comfortable again.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Although this was addressed to @icemiser69,  speaking for myself only, and having watched quite a few Bob Ross shows un-ironically, I am pretty sure he'd be okay with this usage if it made people happy. But since it's bound to cause controversy, I think he might be rolling over at least once in his grave, but then get comfortable again.

I would be happy if this guy got a little credit.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I would be happy if this guy got a little credit.

I remember him! God, I'm old.

Me, too. When the 'Bob Ross' meme showed up, I thought 'Huh? That's Bill Alexander's schtick. Who's this Ross dude?'. My then-boyfriend and I used to mock the 'happy little trees', etc. stuff; hard to believe it's been over 40 years!

• Like 2
  • Surprise 2

7 minutes ago, sempervivum said:
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I remember him! God, I'm old.

Me, too. When the 'Bob Ross' meme showed up, I thought 'Huh? That's Bill Alexander's schtick. Who's this Ross dude?'. My then-boyfriend and I used to mock the 'happy little trees', etc. stuff; hard to believe it's been over 40 years!

I'm old too, but chose to not watch TV from age 14-44, so I only knew Bob Ross. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I loved Bob Ross dearly but I used to cringe every time he ruined a lovely forest scene or landscape by adding an utterly superfluous "happy little cabin".

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

He's wearing a facial mask. I used to make my own out of honey, egg white, plain yogurt and lemon juice.

It just seemed random.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

At bedtime?

But his face was clean between then and when they actually went to bed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RedElf said:

But his face was clean between then and when they actually went to bed.

I don't think I'd want to go to bed with that gunk on my face. Maybe they're trying to show how "modern" this young couple are?

• Laugh 2

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't think I'd want to go to bed with that gunk on my face. Maybe they're trying to show how "modern" this young couple are?

Yeah. “Metrosexual” modern. But I think putting cold cream on your face went out in the 1960s —except for slapstick comedies. 

26 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah. “Metrosexual” modern. But I think putting cold cream on your face went out in the 1960s —except for slapstick comedies. 

I think it's more of a firming mask or maybe for pore cleansing.

• Like 2

WTF, American Express?? I just saw a commercial where you see a woman, sleeping in a luxurious hotel bed. The voiceover tells us she can't recall what she's doing or how she got there. Then they add, "oh yeah, groceries!" Because apparently she earned so many points paying for her groceries with their credit card she got a free night's stay at a hotel.

I get the distinct impression someone thought they were being clever with this little "twist", but it just comes off as really weird and borderline creepy.

• Like 6

Speaking of American Express, what's up with those Credit One credit card commercials featuring a Roman centurion named Cashios who's mystified by modern conveniences? A centurion has been Amex's symbol for decades. How does the relative upstart company (which also plays off the similarity of their name and logo to Capital One's) just co-opt it, even in jest?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 3

Can someone please explain to me the logic of the commercial for the iPhone 12? You see a purple phone and get a few bars of that '70s song "Candy Man". Huh?

• Like 4

There's an ad for some kind of septic system cleaner and the big reason you need to use it is because we all hoarded toilet tissue during the pandemic, so the septic system got clogged.  Did everybody USE toilet paper more during the pandemic? Just because we couldn't find it and then had to stockpile it if we did, that did not affect how much we used, did it?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Did everybody USE toilet paper more during the pandemic?

Not me, because I already worked from home, but people who were usually gone all day five days a week and then were suddenly home all the time, sure.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

So Domino’s brought back the Noid. Whyyyyyyyyyy? The original commercials weren’t on long enough to engender any good feelings of nostalgia. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

40 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

So Domino’s brought back the Noid. Whyyyyyyyyyy? The original commercials weren’t on long enough to engender any good feelings of nostalgia. 

When my son was toddler he was terrified of that thing. If those commercials came on he would run shrieking into his room.

• Like 3

There's a commercial for Uber Eats that has Simone Biles and a guy dressed exactly like her doing gymnastics.  Am I missing something clever here?  Who is he and why he is there?  Everytime I see this commercial it makes me go "huh?"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Can someone please explain to me the logic of the commercial for the iPhone 12? You see a purple phone and get a few bars of that '70s song "Candy Man". Huh?

I think it's just that the phone is now available in the purple color, and purple (grape) candy is typically considered universally delicious, hence the Candy Man song. Something like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

There's a commercial for Uber Eats that has Simone Biles and a guy dressed exactly like her doing gymnastics.  Am I missing something clever here?  Who is he and why he is there?  Everytime I see this commercial it makes me go "huh?"

The guy is on Queer Eye.

• Useful 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Speaking of American Express, what's up with those Credit One credit card commercials featuring a Roman centurion named Cashios who's mystified by modern conveniences? A centurion has been Amex's symbol for decades. How does the relative upstart company (which also plays off the similarity of their name and logo to Capital One's) just co-opt it, even in jest?

I was under the impression the ad was basically calling out those two competitors.

10 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

So that's why I missed them?  I don't remember the Noid at all.  I posted the Noid vs. Nuro Dominos commercial over in the Hate section, for reference.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The guy is on Queer Eye.

That explains it.  I've never seen that show and had no idea what the point of the commercial was supposed to be.  Thank you!

• Like 2

I was under the impression the ad was basically calling out those two competitors.

Eh, there's calling out and there's infringing on another company's trademark. I guess it's not for me to worry about if AMEX and Capital One aren't worried. Probably not much reason for them to be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

So that's why I missed them?  I don't remember the Noid at all.  I posted the Noid vs. Nuro Dominos commercial over in the Hate section, for reference.

The original commercials were pulled pretty quickly after a guy with the last name Noid took a hostage because he was sick of hearing the slogan, “Avoid the Noid.”

Yes, really. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 3

On 5/7/2021 at 7:31 PM, Giuseppe said:

I think it's just that the phone is now available in the purple color, and purple (grape) candy is typically considered universally delicious, hence the Candy Man song. Something like that.

Purple phone, ok. Grape candy tastes like dimetap. (Kids cold medicine)

• Like 2

NURX

Some random guy pops his zits and then pulls his trousers forward and looks down.

I made myself watch again and still don't understand it.  Plus I'm somewhat nauseated.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 3

the one I keep seeing is for Amazon Prime (I think). Has a song "there will be trouble ahead." 

I just don't get it. The end has a cake being dropped on a sleeping woman. What, they're going to reorder a new cake before she wakes up?

• Like 1

I don't understand why they don't just let her nap and do the cake after she wakes up. (But I also don't understand her falling asleep in the middle of the party.)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dleighg said:

the one I keep seeing is for Amazon Prime (I think). Has a song "there will be trouble ahead." 

I just don't get it. The end has a cake being dropped on a sleeping woman. What, they're going to reorder a new cake before she wakes up?

What's he going to do? Douse her with that pitcher of milk as part of a clean up method? "Hey gran, got milk?"

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

I have the same questions as you guys about that Amazon ad. But I do like the song they play in it :). I'd never heard it before that ad and actually went and found the full song online afterward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I have the same questions as you guys about that Amazon ad. But I do like the song they play in it :). I'd never heard it before that ad and actually went and found the full song online afterward. 

It's a great song.  I hope you found the video of Astaire and Rogers from "Follow the Fleet".  It's spectacular. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

It's a great song.  I hope you found the video of Astaire and Rogers from "Follow the Fleet".  It's spectacular. 

I have not, but thanks for the info-off to find and watch that, then :)!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Gotta love Nat King Cole.

• Like 8

I love the song, Let's Face the Music and Dance, I always see a couple doing a quick step when I hear it. And I have seen it used on DWTS and in ice dancing. I really don't pay attention to what's happening on the screen, I just like the song. 

• Like 4

What's with that service where you win money and prizes by losing weight? This is godawfully cynical, right? If you don't lose more bets than you win they'd go out of business, so aren't they pretending to be encouraging while actually banking on you failing to lose weight? 

• Like 8

I have scrutinized that Amazon commercial. Dude pouring milk is still in the kitchen, to the left of Dude with coffee cup. Two ladies at the table and Dude who is probably Grandpa tripping & dropping cake on Grandma. I, too, wonder who falls asleep at their birthday party, but more than that, I wonder about the extreme diversity of that family - Black, Hispanic, and White (in alphabetic order) all in the same family? (I'm assuming coffee dude is Hispanic.)  Are there really families that diverse?  Mine are all white folks, so I can't go by my experience, but I AM curious.  And, yes, I'd take Nat King Cole over Astaire any day.  Never could stand Astaire and that weird-ass shaped head of his.

ETA: It was easy to scrutinize - they played it twice every commercial break when they first started showing it. I think it was last summer it was in such heavy rotation.

23 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

If you don't lose more bets than you win they'd go out of business, so aren't they pretending to be encouraging while actually banking on you failing to lose weight? 

That's sort of the opposite of life insurance. You bet you're gonna die and they bet you won't.

Edited by Prevailing Wind