Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lola16

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, margol29 said:

I don’t know what this commercial is for but some guy is brushing his teeth and a “motivational speaker” is telling him to brush in circles. “ Do another one, another one, another one.” this MS is not very motivating.  It is like an ear worm. Another one, another on..........

The "motivational speaker" is singer DJ Khaled.

 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, margol29 said:

I don’t know what this commercial is for but some guy is brushing his teeth and a “motivational speaker” is telling him to brush in circles. “ Do another one, another one, another one.” this MS is not very motivating.  It is like an ear worm. Another one, another on..........

That's a Geico commercial with DJ Khaled.  It's one of their "So what are you waiting for?" commercials with celebrities -- for John Stamos to knit you a scarf, for Idina Menzel to sing your own theme song, for DJ Khaled to be your motivational coach.  I think it was the first one of that series, but maybe I just saw it first.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's a Geico commercial with DJ Khaled.  It's one of their "So what are you waiting for?" commercials with celebrities -- for John Stamos to knit you a scarf, for Idina Menzel to sing your own theme song, for DJ Khaled to be your motivational coach.  I think it was the first one of that series, but maybe I just saw it first.

I'm waiting for Dennis Haysbert to tell me safe drivers save forty percent.  Oh, wait. Wrong insurance company.

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Just a minor thing, but it confuses me. This commercial started from the 2019 Super Bowl

It's been running all this time. Suddenly, the song he asks for is no longer "Funkytown", he says "play my dance party playlist" (I put that from memory, so it might be a little off) & some random music starts playing. Why? What happened to "Funkytown"?

Edited by GaT
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, GaT said:

It's been running all this time. Suddenly, the song he asks for is no longer "Funkytown", he says "play my dance party playlist" (I put that from memory, so it might be a little off) & some random music starts playing. Why? What happened to "Funkytown"?

I'll bet their licensing agreement ended so they're pretending they never had the song in the first place. Cheapskates.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't understand why she felt the need to ask about condoms in front of her parents. Was she planning on getting freaky right there in the kitchen? 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

I have no idea what this commercial is trying to say. Well maybe I know what it's trying to say, but what does THAT have to do with not being able to pour coffee???????

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have no idea what this commercial is trying to say. Well maybe I know what it's trying to say, but what does THAT have to do with not being able to pour coffee???????

 

I have seen a zillion idiotic commercials, but this takes the bush.. er, cake. So if a man has uncontrolled pubes, he can't pour a cup of coffee? Who gets paid for this shit? How do I get that job? I can easily come up with equally moronic concepts. Ad Agencies! Call me!

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/28/2020 at 1:28 PM, dleighg said:

I have no idea what this commercial is trying to say. Well maybe I know what it's trying to say, but what does THAT have to do with not being able to pour coffee???????

 

Is his bush so big it cannot be contained in his pants?  Is it a sentient being? If we stick with the ads imagery, this guy is full on digging away at his crotch at the office.  Ew.  I hope his colleagues know so they can douse him with hand sanitizer.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

There's a Stella Artois commercial currently running which, while not terrible, I find rather odd.  It shows people, seeing what they are doing in their daydreams, which is apparently something fairly mundane with a better dressed version of themselves.  None of this seems like daydream material to me.  (Frankly, most Stella Artois commercials are a bit inexplicable.)

In my daydreams, I'm a sexy 35 year old in a bikini, sitting on a beach in Australia, having sunscreen rubbed onto my back by the actor formerly known as Hades, Hot God of the Underworld.  I suppose I could be drinking Stella in those daydreams, though I'd prefer a bottle of Moscato or a pitcher of tequila sunrises.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

There's a Stella Artois commercial currently running which, while not terrible, I find rather odd.  It shows people, seeing what they are doing in their daydreams, which is apparently something fairly mundane with a better dressed version of themselves.  None of this seems like daydream material to me.  (Frankly, most Stella Artois commercials are a bit inexplicable.)

In my daydreams, I'm a sexy 35 year old in a bikini, sitting on a beach in Australia, having sunscreen rubbed onto my back by the actor formerly known as Hades, Hot God of the Underworld.  I suppose I could be drinking Stella in those daydreams, though I'd prefer a bottle of Moscato or a pitcher of tequila sunrises.

Beware of getting mixed up with actors. 

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

9 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Even in daydreams?  Rats.  😄

I suppose you get a pass on that. Is Stella Artois any good? Their advertising is less insulting than most beer commercials.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I suppose you get a pass on that. Is Stella Artois any good? Their advertising is less insulting than most beer commercials.

I think it's pretty good, better than American mass-produced beers by miles.

And yes, their commercials tend to be odd, but not insulting to the viewers' intelligence.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Baffling me during my wee-hours NYPD Blue re-runs is this thing where a guy gets up on a stage with a hand mic in what looks like a movie theater and he lectures the people in the seats about some urinary health issue. Is he the pre-movie warm-up act? Or is there no movie and this is the world's worst one man play, The Bladder Dialogues? 

  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I like their cidre.

Me, too.  In fact, I prefer cidre to beer in general.  Got very fond of Strongbow & Woodpecker when I was in London.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's a great commercial with inspiring words. I don't know what it has to do with coffee.

Yeah, it should just be some make the world better thing, not a coffee commercial.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, it should just be some make the world better thing, not a coffee commercial.

Coffee DOES make the world better...

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Coffee DOES make the world better...

Coffee allows the world to wake up and function. And that is a weird commercial. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

14 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Ok the new humanity commercial with Charlie Chaplin--this is the only link I could find, I understood the general message obviously but at the very end to find out its about COFFEE?!  WTH?? 

The only thing I think of with that commercial is the controversy re Charlie Chaplin's politics.  I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorists to start screaming about how communists are trying to take over our coffee!  Feeding us subliminal (and overt) messages about socialism!

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's a great commercial with inspiring words. I don't know what it has to do with coffee.

Here is the complete speech from the movie The Great Dictator.  The idea is great but it's ruined at the end with a plug for Veneza Coffee =(

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Coffee DOES make the world better...

Okay, well I can't argue with that.  Or, at the very least, it keeps me from making the world worse every morning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/28/2020 at 1:28 PM, dleighg said:

I have no idea what this commercial is trying to say. Well maybe I know what it's trying to say, but what does THAT have to do with not being able to pour coffee???????

 

I think the idea is that only gross slobs don't control their pubes. His tie is crooked, he has stubble, and his hair is messed up in the beginning, and he can't even stop himself from making a mess pouring the coffee, he's such a slob! (Like, imagine people who just let the coffee run down the side of the pot or leave puddles on the counter.) But someone who has their shit together (straight tie, clean shaven, hair in order) trims their pubes.

I kind of love the people standing in line.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't stand the Mo-tor commercials for Progressive.    

They freak me right out. *shudder*

I'm right there with both of you.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, QuinnInND said:

I consider myself an 80s kid. I'm 38. A 50 year-old would be a 70s kid I think. 

I'm 48 and I am a 80's kid. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/8/2020 at 9:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't stand the Mo-tor commercials for Progressive.    

Especially the one on the treadmill. So, what you're saying is that your customers are  dicks....

("Thank you  for coming to our  focus group. We won't be needing  you  again..." 😄

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Especially the one on the treadmill. So, what you're saying is that your customers are  dicks....

All I can think about with the Motaur on the treadmill is carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I just saw an ad for Roman, which is an erectile dysfunction program, with Alexis Ohanian shilling it.  He's the multimillionaire founder of Reddit, and Serena Williams's husband.  The ad doesn't mention him having erectile dysfunction, and I can't find any connection he has to the company, so his appearance in the ad has me scratching my head.

 

  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I just saw an ad for Roman, which is an erectile dysfunction program,

That's not all it is, it's an online healthcare service for men.  Many of the services - and commercials - revolve around testosterone and boners, but they also offer consultation and treatment for hair loss, skin conditions (e.g. eczema and dandruff), excess sweating, allergies, heart and bone health, stress, prostate, etc.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, theatremouse said:

I thought he was a part owner, but I might be wrong about that.

That may be true, but I couldn't find anything about him on the Wikipedia page.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I keep seeing this bank commercial with a man who wants something better than a nasty old hot plate to make his favorite sandwich, grilled cheese, while using cheesy (heh) puns, so he got a food truck. Huh?

 

19 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Especially the one on the treadmill. So, what you're saying is that your customers are  dicks....

("Thank you  for coming to our  focus group. We won't be needing  you  again..." 😄

I have so many questions about the motaur on the treadmill! 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That may be true, but I couldn't find anything about him on the Wikipedia page.

 

It might not have been in the ad you were referring to, but I *think* I got the idea from him saying it in a previous ad. Something like "here's why I invested in..."

Anyway, this confirms he's both on the board and an investor:  https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/18/technology/alexis-ohanian-ro-board/index.html

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/12/2020 at 3:19 PM, QuinnInND said:

I consider myself an 80s kid. I'm 38. A 50 year-old would be a 70s kid I think. 

If a person is 50 in 2020 then that means they were 10 in 1980. So their formative years happened in the 80s. I would think that would make them an 80s kid. A 50 year old would remember things about the 70s, especially the latter half, but they probably wouldn't have a strong personal connection to that decade. Your formative years is when you decide what music you want to listen to, what shows and movies you want to watch and you start developing a personal style. That would give you more of a personal connection to a time period. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/8/2020 at 6:52 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't stand the Mo-tor commercials for Progressive.    

I don't understand the one where the mo-taur is watching the other mo-taurs migrate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

If a person is 50 in 2020 then that means they were 10 in 1980. So their formative years happened in the 80s. I would think that would make them an 80s kid. A 50 year old would remember things about the 70s, especially the latter half, but they probably wouldn't have a strong personal connection to that decade. Your formative years is when you decide what music you want to listen to, what shows and movies you want to watch and you start developing a personal style. That would give you more of a personal connection to a time period. 

I totally agree. I'm 59. Turned 10 in 71. Remember Watergate, and the Carpenters, Linda Rondstadt, John Denver, Billy Joel were the big music icons of my world. Graduated high school in 79. So definitely the 70s were "formative."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I honestly do not understand the Poshmark commercials - or maybe I should say the idea behind Poshmark.  So you get items out of your closet, take pictures, and sell them online through their app and make lots of money?  Unless the items are brand-new and were gifted to you how much of a money-maker could this be?  

If you ordered the clothes/shoes/accessories, and discovered they were not what you expected, wouldn't it be better to return the items for a full refund?  If it's too late to return the items, I suppose trying to sell them makes sense, but, again, how much are you really going to make from this?  You have to spend money on postage and packaging to send them to your buyer.  

The women on the commercial make it sound like this is a marvelous way to bring in extra cash, but it just puzzles me.  Has anyone here used Poshmark to buy or sell?

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, mousegirl said:

I honestly do not understand the Poshmark commercials - or maybe I should say the idea behind Poshmark.  So you get items out of your closet, take pictures, and sell them online through their app and make lots of money?  Unless the items are brand-new and were gifted to you how much of a money-maker could this be?  

If you ordered the clothes/shoes/accessories, and discovered they were not what you expected, wouldn't it be better to return the items for a full refund?  If it's too late to return the items, I suppose trying to sell them makes sense, but, again, how much are you really going to make from this?  You have to spend money on postage and packaging to send them to your buyer.  

The women on the commercial make it sound like this is a marvelous way to bring in extra cash, but it just puzzles me.  Has anyone here used Poshmark to buy or sell?

I have bought some used handbags and wallets.  Paid less than $10 per item.  Some people I know who resell use it.  It has some advantages over Ebay per them, but I don't know specifics.  The ones who buy cars and whatnot on the commercials leave me scratching my head as to how they are making THAT much.  I wouldn't buy anything expensive or high end on it for fear of fakes.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, mousegirl said:

I honestly do not understand the Poshmark commercials - or maybe I should say the idea behind Poshmark.  So you get items out of your closet, take pictures, and sell them online through their app and make lots of money?  Unless the items are brand-new and were gifted to you how much of a money-maker could this be?  

If you ordered the clothes/shoes/accessories, and discovered they were not what you expected, wouldn't it be better to return the items for a full refund?  If it's too late to return the items, I suppose trying to sell them makes sense, but, again, how much are you really going to make from this?  You have to spend money on postage and packaging to send them to your buyer.  

The women on the commercial make it sound like this is a marvelous way to bring in extra cash, but it just puzzles me.  Has anyone here used Poshmark to buy or sell?

Poshmark ripped off my stepdaughter, They had a will send you a big bag, clean your closet, send us all the items for free, and we'll sell them and send you the money. She had been working as a public defender and had a lot of very nice business suits in excellent condition that she wore to court and no longer needed when she became a stay at home mom. She sent all her suits, and they told her they could not sell any of them, so she would get no money. Yet she went on their web site and found some of her suits in her exact size for sale. They wouldn't budge and gave her no money. What a ripoff!

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 2
  • Surprise 11
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Poshmark ripped off my stepdaughter, They had a will send you a big bag, clean your closet, send us all the items for free, and we'll sell them and send you the money. She had been working as a public defender and had a lot of very nice business suits in excellent condition that she wore to court and no longer needed when she became a stay at home mom. She sent all her suits, and they told her they could not sell any of them, so she would get no money. Yet she went on their web site and found some of her suits in her exact size for sale. They wouldn't budge and gave her no money. What a ripoff!

Weird. Are there different methods for selling on Poshmark? I could swear that it was Poshmark that a friend of mine looked into and the way to sell was that you took a picture of the item and posted it, when someone bought it, Poshmark sent you a pre-postage paid box with the buyer's name on it and you shipped the item. Once the buyer gave the thumbs up, Poshmark released the money. Isn't that how it works?

Edited by configdotsys
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Weird. Are there different methods for selling on Poshmark? I could swear that it was Poshmark that a friend of mine looked into and the way to sell was that you took a picture of the item and posted it, when someone bought it, Poshmark sent you a pre-postage paid box with the buyer's name on it and you shipped the item. Once the buyer gave the thumbs up, Poshmark released the money. Isn't that how it works?

Oh - my bad. Maybe it was thredUP

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the info on Poshmark, everyone!  

I did some online research about them - there are a lot of complaints about their service, mostly from buyers.  Apparently it is very difficult to return items for any kind of refund, no matter what the issue with the item might be.  Poshmark serves as a kind of middleman for the transactions and they are being accused of a LOT of shady practices.  I would not choose to deal with them.   

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size