Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

I live in CT, so I am not familiar with Kroger...and judging by this, I don't want to be..

We have them here in Seattle but they're called QFC. They're pretty good. More expensive than Safeway but cheaper than Whole Foods.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/14/2020 at 8:39 PM, Bastet said:

This is what happens when I'm not looking at the TV, just hearing an unfamiliar commercial as background noise:

“Does hairballs run in your family?”

That should be “do”, dumb ass.  But, wait, what?  Why is a commercial addressing cats rather than their owners servants?

[Turns to TV and sees before and after pictures of heads]  Oh!  “Does hair loss run in your family?”  Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. 

*dead*

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I like sour cream on my baked potato as much as the next person, but I've yet to get as excited as the people in the Daisy commercial where the guy shows up bearing two - TWO! - containers of sour cream. The table is laden with all kinds of yummy BBQ foods, but everyone has eyes only for the sour cream.

• LOL 10
19 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I like sour cream on my baked potato as much as the next person, but I've yet to get as excited as the people in the Daisy commercial where the guy shows up bearing two - TWO! - containers of sour cream. The table is laden with all kinds of yummy BBQ foods, but everyone has eyes only for the sour cream.

GF refers to baked potatoes as "sour cream and butter delivery vehicles".

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
On 6/30/2020 at 12:01 AM, janie jones said:

I hate this whole series of Kroger commercials.

We haven't had a Kroger here since the 80's. HEB dominates here. They even ran out Albertson's in 2002 which sucked.

28 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

We haven't had a Kroger here since the 80's. HEB dominates here. They even ran out Albertson's in 2002 which sucked.

I usually shop at QFC (Kroger) and Albertson's but then Albertson's went away. When I'd go to Albertson's I'd check my receipt and it was always 20% lower for the same stuff.

• Love 1
On 7/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, Nicmar said:

Where my SIL lives, they only have Albertsons, Walmart and Whole Paycheck.. I mean Whole Foods. Could be worse. And HEB is awesome. I miss that store. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2

Where my SIL lives, they only have Albertsons, Walmart and Whole Paycheck.. I mean Whole Foods. Could be worse. And HEB is awesome. I miss that store. 

A very accurate description.

The chick in the Chime commercial with the way overdone black eyeliner sounds like she's saying, "I get my PJs two days earlier."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

A very accurate description.

The chick in the Chime commercial with the way overdone black eyeliner sounds like she's saying, "I get my PJs two days earlier."

OMG. All the people in those commercials are idiots. And can someone tell me why women (especially young ones) feel the need to giggle when they are talking? I mean it can be about anything, nothing humorous at all and it just "I really like this body wash tee hee."  "This dog food is my dog's favorite, ha ha ha."

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Frankly, if a coworker went around bragging that she got paid two days early, I'd have to resist the urge to punch her in the throat.

It's so stupid because literally every bank has direct deposit.

• Love 7

I'm not at my sharpest these days, but why is Burger King running "Merry Christmas" 2-for-1 ads? From what I've seen, they aren't even using the silly "Christmas in July" trope. 

I mean, enjoy your bargain Whoppers, I have long thought that they are one of the best fast food burgers, but it ain't Christmas. Or is it? What are you doing to me, BK?

• LOL 3

I know this commercial has been around a while, but can anyone explain the Kim Crawford wine commercial?  Some chick walks into a store wearing her yoga outfit, grabs a bottle of Kim Crawford and a pair of sunglasses and walks out, appearing not to pay for anything.  Then you have the two women pushing a cart, staring at yoga woman like she’s some tasty morsel.  What the hell?

• LOL 5
35 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I know this commercial has been around a while, but can anyone explain the Kim Crawford wine commercial?  Some chick walks into a store wearing her yoga outfit, grabs a bottle of Kim Crawford and a pair of sunglasses and walks out, appearing not to pay for anything.  Then you have the two women pushing a cart, staring at yoga woman like she’s some tasty morsel.  What the hell?

I think the point is that women who drink Kim Crawford wine are so freaking cool that everyone is in awe of them. The link below is to a mashup of three of the ads. I have to admit, it took me a long time to get that in the first one, the woman on the left catches the cork from the wine bottle (I thought she was waving at the chef haha). 

I do like that the ads concentrate on friendships between women and not trying to catch or please a man.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oqLh/kim-crawford-sauvignon-blanc-liquid-gold-song-by-lolo#

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I think the point is that women who drink Kim Crawford wine are so freaking cool that everyone is in awe of them. The link below is to a mashup of three of the ads. I have to admit, it took me a long time to get that in the first one, the woman on the left catches the cork from the wine bottle (I thought she was waving at the chef haha). 

I do like that the ads concentrate on friendships between women and not trying to catch or please a man.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oqLh/kim-crawford-sauvignon-blanc-liquid-gold-song-by-lolo#

You make a good point. Thanks.

• Love 4
On 7/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, Ashforth said:

I'm not at my sharpest these days, but why is Burger King running "Merry Christmas" 2-for-1 ads? From what I've seen, they aren't even using the silly "Christmas in July" trope. 

I mean, enjoy your bargain Whoppers, I have long thought that they are one of the best fast food burgers, but it ain't Christmas. Or is it? What are you doing to me, BK?

They figure we've been in quarantine so long, we have NO idea what month or day it is, and so they're just having fun messing with us, throwing out random holidays and seeing if anyone notices...

• Love 5
5 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

They figure we've been in quarantine so long, we have NO idea what month or day it is, and so they're just having fun messing with us, throwing out random holidays and seeing if anyone notices...

Yeah, let's get this year OVER with.

• Love 7

Because she's a moron.   She can't understand that she wasn't given some special off-the-books deal just for her precious self but instead just a rack rate anyone gets...even after been told this fact multiple times.   

I'm sick of every single insurance company / commercial having some wacky situation / snarky mascot / absurdist plotline.  Liberty Mutual tried to counter them with their "real people"  commercials which were absolutely horrible with punchable idiots but even they now have an inanimate fortune teller unicycling away and that nutty limu series.  Even Hartford's old people insurance commercials now refer to their coverage as "The Buck".  I will be so happy when insurance companies stop using Green Acres as a template for their ads.   I blame those damn cavemen for this trend.  

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

Because she's a moron.   She can't understand that she wasn't given some special off-the-books deal just for her precious self but instead just a rack rate anyone gets...even after been told this fact multiple times.   

I'm sick of every single insurance company / commercial having some wacky situation / snarky mascot / absurdist plotline.  Liberty Mutual tried to counter them with their "real people"  commercials which were absolutely horrible with punchable idiots but even they now have an inanimate fortune teller unicycling away and that nutty limu series.  Even Hartford's old people insurance commercials now refer to their coverage as "The Buck".  I will be so happy when insurance companies stop using Green Acres as a template for their ads.   I blame those damn cavemen for this trend.  

At least they try to be creative. It's the life insurance  and reverse mortgage commercials that drive me crazy.

• Love 4

So the parents think they need a bigger house? First of all, they aren't in an apartment, so presumably the have a yard. It looks like they have a full sized kitchen and a breakfast or dining room. There are stairs and I assume there are more than two bedrooms on the second floor, so the kids aren't bunking together.

Space is not their problem. 

• Love 3

I've seen this ad for menegitis B vaccination many times over the last few weeks. It took MANY viewings to realize that they were VERY subtly showing that the young adults in the commercial 

Spoiler

had either lost limbs or hearing 

from getting Meningitis B. I think the people who made this ad think we pay a lot more attention to ads than most of us do.

You can find the ad at "See Our Commercial" on this page.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

OMG I just saw this one, for a procedure for men with "urinary emptying issues" I gather. I honestly thought it was satire! It is, um, over-the-top with all the "flow" imagery!!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nM8D/urolift-theater

As someone with a husband whose non-cancerous enlarged prostate got to the point he couldn't urinate and I had to rush him to urgent care to have them put in a catheter to empty his bladder, I can testify it is a real and terrifying problem. He required surgery that went up his urethra and reamed out the prostate so his urethra was no longer blocked. This was 2 years ago, and I don't think a day goes by that he doesn't comment on how good it feels to be able to pee again.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I just saw an ad for Cabela's sporting goods store with a man and his little girl driving to a forest, getting out of their truck, walking hand in hand, then Dad does something to a tree.  Unfortunately, I can't find it online.  I have no idea what they're doing to that tree.

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I just saw an ad for Cabela's sporting goods store with a man and his little girl driving to a forest, getting out of their truck, walking hand in hand, then Dad does something to a tree.  Unfortunately, I can't find it online.  I have no idea what they're doing to that tree.

He's putting up a trail camera, I think. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Chris Paul has a boatload of money. He needs to use some of it to get a restraining order on New Chris Paul/Alfonso Ribeiro.

I'm glad you brought this up because I don't understand the whole campaign.  What does the "New Chris Paul" have to do with buying insurance?  I know when this is explained to me, I'll feel stupid, but probably not stupider than i feel now since I just don't get it. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

In that Geico ad where the guys are fishing and their old hairstyles come back, the one guy says, "What? I was an 80s kid." Does that mean he's 50 years old?

I consider myself an 80s kid. I'm 38. A 50 year-old would be a 70s kid I think. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I consider myself an 80s kid. I'm 38. A 50 year-old would be a 70s kid I think. 

I'm 56, and I consider myself both a 70s kid and an 80s kid -- I was still a kid in high school in the very early 80s, after all.  A lot of things in both decades had a strong influence on who I am.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I graduated from high school at 17 in 1980 but I consider myself an "80's kid" when it comes to music because that was when I was going to clubs! A Flock of Seagulls was a staple. This video shows the hairstyle from the commercial, but AFoS's greatest song was "I Ran"

I lived in Houston and we would go to the gay clubs in Montrose because they were the most fun. Oh, the dancing and the poppers , um, other enhancements. GOOD TIMES!

What the hell, here's I Ran, still a great song!

• Love 11

I don’t know what this commercial is for but some guy is brushing his teeth and a “motivational speaker” is telling him to brush in circles. “ Do another one, another one, another one.” this MS is not very motivating.  It is like an ear worm. Another one, another on..........

• LOL 1
11 minutes ago, margol29 said:

I don’t know what this commercial is for but some guy is brushing his teeth and a “motivational speaker” is telling him to brush in circles. “ Do another one, another one, another one.” this MS is not very motivating.  It is like an ear worm. Another one, another on..........

The "motivational speaker" is singer DJ Khaled.

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, margol29 said:

That's a Geico commercial with DJ Khaled.  It's one of their "So what are you waiting for?" commercials with celebrities -- for John Stamos to knit you a scarf, for Idina Menzel to sing your own theme song, for DJ Khaled to be your motivational coach.  I think it was the first one of that series, but maybe I just saw it first.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's a Geico commercial with DJ Khaled.  It's one of their "So what are you waiting for?" commercials with celebrities -- for John Stamos to knit you a scarf, for Idina Menzel to sing your own theme song, for DJ Khaled to be your motivational coach.  I think it was the first one of that series, but maybe I just saw it first.

I'm waiting for Dennis Haysbert to tell me safe drivers save forty percent.  Oh, wait. Wrong insurance company.

• LOL 7

Just a minor thing, but it confuses me. This commercial started from the 2019 Super Bowl

It's been running all this time. Suddenly, the song he asks for is no longer "Funkytown", he says "play my dance party playlist" (I put that from memory, so it might be a little off) & some random music starts playing. Why? What happened to "Funkytown"?

Edited by GaT
  • Useful 1