Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, jenniferhartwell said:

Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton etc. are still called President Carter, President Clinton etc. and Hillary is called Secretary Clinton. It's an Americanism that i find strange and irritating.

And that, according to rules of address, is incorrect. The only "title" that persists after one leaves office is "Governor." I suspect that dates from colonial days, when governors were appointed by the king. 

https://emilypost.com/advice/addressing-a-former-president-of-the-united-states/

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Ubiquitous said:

Am I the only person who finds the botox commercial that promotes being able to express yourself facially amusing, if not ironic?

I find that woman who is "star" of the ad (the one with over-the-top emoting) incredibly annoying. Like, I would not want her as my friend. I'm a terrible person I guess. I like normal people.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Am I the only person who finds the botox commercial that promotes being able to express yourself facially amusing, if not ironic? 🤷‍♂️

Yes, especially since the woman can ONLY open her eyes wide and open her mouth to express it.  Seriously, Botox, widening one's eyes til they are practically bulging is NOT an expression of deliciousness! 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Every time I see that ad I find myself wondering why women in their 20's are getting Botox. How many significant wrinkles could women that young possibly have?

It may be 'preventative' - if they can't move their faces, they won't create any new wrinkles.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Hell, I fell off my Dr. Scholl's wooden sandals. They were, what, 2" high?

OMG, I just googled and they still make these! What were they supposed to do for your feet, anyway?

• Love 2
On 8/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, chessiegal said:

Often when the Poshmark ads come on my husband teases me I could sell everything in my closet and not make $100. So true.

If you can make $10000 off your secondhand clothes? You are either spending too much fucking money on clothing instead of saving it for a vacation or you make enough money that you shouldn't have to sell off your possessions to afford one. 

• Love 9

The Liberty Mutual ad with the emu and Doug getting the keys to the city: WHY does Mrs. LiMu emu seem to be channeling 1962 Carole Channing, with a bouffant blonde wig, white-framed cats eye sunglasses, and a yellow satin halter top dress?

Is it just me, or does it seem like Liberty Mutual ads currently make up at least 50% off all tv commercials?

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

The Liberty Mutual ad with the emu and Doug getting the keys to the city: WHY does Mrs. LiMu emu seem to be channeling 1962 Carole Channing, with a bouffant blonde wig, white-framed cats eye sunglasses, and a yellow satin halter top dress?

Is it just me, or does it seem like Liberty Mutual ads currently make up at least 50% off all tv commercials?

Not just you. Between that stupid Impossible Whopper commercial and the derivative Limu dreck on constant rotation.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Why would anyone think that this ad would sell candy? It's absolutely horrifying!

I will not be buying Trolli Gummi Brite worms anymore.  Why would I want to eat them if they're alive and self aware, partying in my bag?  🙄

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

The General Ad with the football kicker who can only kick balls into the goal posts, not through them. Isn't that harder to do, there's only 2 of the posts, they're only a few inches wide and the space in between is quite large. Couldn't a kicker who can consistently hit the goal post be worked with to move his aim slightly?

• Love 2
23 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I will not be buying Trolli Gummi Brite worms anymore.  Why would I want to eat them if they're alive and self aware, partying in my bag?  🙄

That commercial makes me actually gag.  The worms dripping out of his eyes!  YUCK!  It looks like a rotting dead body (sorry, I watch lots of stuff on ID)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I hesitate to bring this up even among you guys, but have any of you see a late-night legal spot offering representation for people suffering effects from some drug which resulted in genital gangrene?

I had no idea such a condition exists, and I'm sympathetic to those who suffer, but geez.  Right while I'm enjoying my midnight snack.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I hesitate to bring this up even among you guys, but have any of you see a late-night legal spot offering representation for people suffering effects from some drug which resulted in genital gangrene?

I had no idea such a condition exists, and I'm sympathetic to those who suffer, but geez.  Right while I'm enjoying my midnight snack.

I've seen it and was just as horrified as you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've seen it and was just as horrified as you.

I take one of those medications (Farxiga).  It's an incredibly rare side effect.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I take one of those medications (Farxiga).  It's an incredibly rare side effect.

Thanks for your response, Funky.  I don't understand the point of these ads (legal/medical) and wish they'd dump them as they do nothing but call attention in a bad way.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, spiderpig said:

Thanks for your response, Funky.  I don't understand the point of these ads (legal/medical) and wish they'd dump them as they do nothing but call attention in a bad way.

Many times, they're very overblown in terms of how many people experience it, etc.  It's a pill for Type 2 Diabetics.  It helps filter out sugar before it gets through your kidneys (where they will slowly get damage), where you pee it out instead.  So you have excess sugar going through your urinary tract (and where it exits the body as well).  Yeast infections are much more common, but the gangrine is much more rare, and I often wonder if there aren't other factors at play to make it worse (hygiene, etc).  But IANAD.  Don't play one on TV either.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, funky-rat said:

But IANAD.  Don't play one on TV either.

I used to know a woman who DID pretend she was a doctor - on the internet. No one in the forum believed her. We referred to her as Inad Bipooti - "I'm Not A Doctor, But I Play One On The Internet."  I've decided it's a good nom de net - like the two I use most frequently, Claire Voyant and Helena Handbasket. Inad Bipooti.

I'll just cut back on consuming sugar, thank you, rather than run the risk of even needing Farxiga.

• LOL 8
15 hours ago, Ashforth said:
On 9/11/2019 at 10:30 AM, Browncoat said:

I like the artfully placed soap suds.

I was imagining the soap suds... lower

signed, dirty old lady

That took entirely too much work to see the picture for what was there. 

signed, another dirty old lady

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 9/11/2019 at 8:26 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to know a woman who DID pretend she was a doctor - on the internet. No one in the forum believed her. We referred to her as Inad Bipooti - "I'm Not A Doctor, But I Play One On The Internet."  I've decided it's a good nom de net - like the two I use most frequently, Claire Voyant and Helena Handbasket. Inad Bipooti.

I'll just cut back on consuming sugar, thank you, rather than run the risk of even needing Farxiga.

Ok, totally off topic but the manager of my former company's Help Desk (I'm long since retired) had a character called Helen Waite. Particularly obnoxious callers were referred to Helen. 

;-D

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 9/11/2019 at 7:26 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Sometimes it takes more than cutting back on sugar.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Sometimes it takes more than cutting back on sugar.

Correct.  It always slightly annoys me when I see someone talk about something sweet and then use "DIEBEETUS" in some fashion, as if that's all it takes.  In my and my husband's case, there's a deep family history going back 3 or more generations (past a certain point, medical records aren't helpful, due to things not being well understood).  We've both been monitored since we were 30, and were put on meds as soon as it reached the point we needed them.  He was able to stave it off much longer than his relatives were because he did what he could, but it eventually caught him, like it caught all of the other family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Stupid ad writers.  Another nonsensical ad, like the one, "I meant that Buick." It's rather sickening that someone actually gets paid for this stupidity.

Yes! The Buick commercials! Thanks for the backup. 

so it is just stupidity! My own stupidity tends to kick in more and more lately, but it is truly baffling why these companies choose to go the stupid route. 😕

• Love 3

For the record, my second car was a used 1992 Buick Skylark. OK, maybe it looked like an "old people" car (and I did buy it in 2012 from a lady in her 90s that was no longer allowed to drive), but I had no problems with it in the nearly two years I owned it. It was reliable, got good gas mileage and had very comfortable seats. The car also had a quirk - it required two different keys, one for the ignition and the other for the door locks.

Edited by catlover79
  • Love 3

The ad I'm seeing for Stop and Shop. A busy mom with a long hand-written list which she gleefully keeps crossing things off that she can get "all in one place-- at Stop and Shop."

Shampoo. Vegetables. Greeting cards.

Wow. No had ever heard of one store selling all of those things in one place before.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1