Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, janie jones said:

Does the turkey in the Chantix commercial make soup out of the Chantix?

I want a fight to the death between the turkey and the Limu Emu. that way we get rid of at least one.  Brains vs. brawn?

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I want a fight to the death between the turkey and the Limu Emu. that way we get rid of at least one.  Brains vs. brawn?

That would be fun. Which is the smart one, though?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The turkey reads books, the emu attacks its reflection in a window.  I think we can guess. 

But the turkey smokes, so he won't have much stamina.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and stamina.

"Face it, girls, I'm older and I have more insurance."

Towanda!

• LOL 12
  • Love 5

I like the LiMu Emu better than the witness protection and custom calves people.  Ugh.

I'm sick of the COPD med commercial with the kid who is waaaay too old to be having a Three Little Pigs themed birthday party.  I actually can't imagine any age is a good age.....

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I like the LiMu Emu better than the witness protection and custom calves people.  Ugh.

I'm sick of the COPD med commercial with the kid who is waaaay too old to be having a Three Little Pigs themed birthday party.  I actually can't imagine any age is a good age.....

I still don't understand the imagry/metaphor of the kid being the pig and his grandfather being the big bad wolf.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I still don't understand the imagry/metaphor of the kid being the pig and his grandfather being the big bad wolf.

I do believe the only thought that went into that series of ads was 'what huffs and puffs besides someone with COPD?'

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

There are actually two kids, with one having the ears and the other, the nose, from what looks like a dollar-store getup. Is one message that the product is really expensive so you'll need to cut corners? There's a gift, party hats, and a lot more guests in the animated wolf party.

• Love 1
(edited)

I understand the concept of the ad campaign this online travel agency is doing, that of wanting to escape your troubles with a long vacation, but I'm not sure they thought it through properly.

For example, one of the commercials features a woman quickly booking a vacation after discovering she stepped in some wet concrete. Why does she need to leave town and it kinda seems like she's trying to get out of apologizing.

In another, a man in at some version of Walmart watching a woman and her bratty kid emptying boxes of cereal in the aisle goes on vacation and the woman and brat are there too! Wait, why are they with you? If it's your family, why bother taking a vacation?

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I can't stand the way that kid says, "Let's blow out the candles together!" The commercial is so dumb and cheap everyone involved should hang their heads in shame.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I can't stand the way that kid says, "Let's blow out the candles together!" The commercial is so dumb and cheap everyone involved should hang their heads in shame.

Not as dumb and cheap as the "catch me if you can, kiddo!" one!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Which version of the story? The traditional version with the wolf becoming dinner for the pigs, or the sanitized one where he just slinks off in defeat?

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Which version of the story? The traditional version with the wolf becoming dinner for the pigs, or the sanitized one where he just slinks off in defeat?

The one where the old wolf gets a miracle drug, and all is well.  😆

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Not as dumb and cheap as the "catch me if you can, kiddo!" one!

NOOOOOO!  HATE THIS ONE!!!  Especially with the grandparents who are "marching" the little kid.  I think it's because they remind me of this old couple I knew as a kid.

• Love 2

Hey, U.S. Cellular guy, if I have unlimited data, how do you determine how much I haven't used so that you can pay me back for my unused data?  It's unlimited!  Shouldn't I get all my money back?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 4/27/2019 at 8:16 PM, mmecorday said:

In the ads for booking.com, I know the announcer is saying "bookers," but I swear to dog, it sounds like he's saying "boogers."

I hear it as “hookers.” 😉. Getting hard of hearing, miss a lot of initial sounds, and my brain tries to fill in the gaps. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Hey, U.S. Cellular guy, if I have unlimited data, how do you determine how much I haven't used so that you can pay me back for my unused data?  It's unlimited!  Shouldn't I get all my money back?

There should be some fine print telling you how many GB you 're really getting. The "unlimited" just means they'll slow down your service instead of cutting you off. Some carriers got into trouble for not telling people that; one slowed things down so much, it was unusable.

4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

NOOOOOO!  HATE THIS ONE!!!  Especially with the grandparents who are "marching" the little kid.  I think it's because they remind me of this old couple I knew as a kid.

Didn’t they come out with an African-American version using the exact same soundtrack?

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

There should be some fine print telling you how many GB you 're really getting. The "unlimited" just means they'll slow down your service instead of cutting you off. Some carriers got into trouble for not telling people that; one slowed things down so much, it was unusable.

There probably is, but I don't have a ginormous TV and can't see/read any fine print.  Still, it's amusing to think that they'll owe me money (and lots of it!) every month because I haven't used all of my unlimited data.

• LOL 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Don't get the point of this one. Bundling is not violent in any way.

That's what makes it funny, in theory, anyway.

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Yea got that part, along with the fact that the commercial isn't really that funny.

It really isn't.  To me, it sounded like the comment section of any online news story or social media post, with people complaining about everything but the issue at hand.  But yeah...not really funny.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

To me, it sounded like the comment section of any online news story or social media post, with people complaining about everything but the issue at hand.  But yeah...not really funny.

It fell flat to me, too, when it could have been some pretty funny and biting satire.  The focus group that can't focus long enough to actually watch what happens in the commercial, so when the first participant trots out what is probably her usual "I'm not sure if that's appropriate for children" reaction to everything, the rest of the group's response is to get sidetracked down various irrelevant paths of commentary, all while Flo has no success redirecting them to discussing what they're actually supposed to be commenting on.  There's potential there, but they didn't really go for it, so it winds up kind of a dud.

• Love 5
On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, Brattinella said:

I think the point is that the focus group is a bunch of idiots.

They probably wandered over from the Chevy commercial.

On ‎05‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:24 AM, Ubiquitous said:

That's what makes it funny, in theory, anyway.

I found very funny, but ymmv.

• LOL 2

I had to back it up to be sure: Aspercreme adhesive heated back pad has a side-by-side shot comparing them to the "Other pad". But the other pad covers the entire lower back, while the Aspercreme one is just a smallish patch centered on your spine.

I don't know about you, but when I have a backache, the spine area isn't involved - it's all about the muscles closer to my sides. So they've just made a convincing pitch for "Other pad", if only I knew which one it was.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I;m a bit lost on the latest Geico commercial (or could it be another insurance co?) where a guy is singing karaoke in what appears to be some sort of remote substation in Antarctica.  Everyone else seems to be dying of boredom.  One of the guys tries to make a run for it out the door into the freezing cold, but someone pulls him back in.  By the time I actually start paying full attention to the commercial it's over and I never really heard any of the voiceover.  What's the point of this one?   

2 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I;m a bit lost on the latest Geico commercial (or could it be another insurance co?) where a guy is singing karaoke in what appears to be some sort of remote substation in Antarctica.  Everyone else seems to be dying of boredom.  One of the guys tries to make a run for it out the door into the freezing cold, but someone pulls him back in.  By the time I actually start paying full attention to the commercial it's over and I never really heard any of the voiceover.  What's the point of this one?   

I just looked it up, and it's part of the Geico series where two (or more) people are in the middle of a bizarre situation, and one of them says, "I can't believe it," leading the other(s) to assume she/he is talking about the craziness around them, only to learn, no, she/he is amazed by how easy it was to switch to Geico and save big bucks.

In this one, they're at a research station they can't step outside of due to the weather, and one guy brought his karaoke machine with him, and has been serenading them with "I Want It That Way" on a constant loop.  After however many renditions, one of them thinks freezing to death would be a better option and tries to make a run for it.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I just looked it up, and it's part of the Geico series where two (or more) people are in the middle of a bizarre situation, and one of them says, "I can't believe it," leading the other(s) to assume she/he is talking about the craziness around them, only to learn, no, she/he is amazed by how easy it was to switch to Geico and save big bucks.

In this one, they're at a research station they can't step outside of due to the weather, and one guy brought his karaoke machine with him, and has been serenading them with "I Want It That Way" on a constant loop.  After however many renditions, one of them thinks freezing to death would be a better option and tries to make a run for it.

Ah yeah, that's it.  Thanks for finding that.  Wow, that's a bizarre way to make such a simple point, but I guess that's what they were going for.  LOL

I noticed in the Chantrix smoking meds commercial with a turkey camping in the woods that he pops a pill, then dumps a handful into a boiling pot od something on the campfire, then starts eating it, followed by him walking through the woods, wonderstruck. Is he enjoying nature or tripping out on Chantrix?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I noticed in the Chantrix smoking meds commercial with a turkey camping in the woods that he pops a pill, then dumps a handful into a boiling pot od something on the campfire, then starts eating it, followed by him walking through the woods, wonderstruck. Is he enjoying nature or tripping out on Chantrix?

The stuff he puts in the pot is birdseed.

• Love 1