Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Another PSA , this time about seatbelts and child restraints in cars. I'm not exactly sure how to take it. That shot of the necklace being placed around the wee bairn's neck - that kind of shot on film is usually done with an adult woman, i seem to recall.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Apparently, it's pronounced "naw VAAZH!", or at least that's how they have the guy say it. And every time I see that commercial I wonder why anyone would buy that self-waterboarding kit. 

I actually want one of those, but I have issues with my nose and have to irrigate multiple times a day.  I would prefer that to the aerosol bottle I currently use.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, raiderred1 said:

Forgive me if this has been addressed but what the fresh hell does the kid on the Buick Enclave commercial say when the bear destroys their tent?  "Did the bear just PUNE our tent?"  WTF?

"Did that bear just poo in our tent?"

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"Did that bear just poo in our tent?"

Thanks BASTET!  It's a stupid commercial.  Do bears often "poo" in people's tents?  I don't live in bear country. "head scratch"

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

He said "pwned" our tent, pronouncing it as PUNE.  It is a hipster word meaning "Owned".

Given the context of his question, I think it would be "pwn". Either way, it's not the pronunciation I've heard before.

5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

He said "pwned" our tent, pronouncing it as PUNE.  It is a hipster word meaning "Owned".

He's not a hipster, he's a little kid who asks a non-stop series of questions about things inside and outside the car, all of which his dad answers "yes."  When they arrive at the campsite and find the bear, the other passengers all look like "WTF do we do now," but the kid promptly asks another question: "Did that bear just poo in our tent?"  The dad once again says "yes," and backs the vehicle away.

• Love 1

I said it was a hipster word, not that the kid was a hipster.

Just now, Brattinella said:

I said it was a hipster word, not that the kid was a hipster.

AND, the closed captioning (which I always have on) said it was PWNED.

• Love 1

"I am a non-attorney spokesperson. If you or someone you know has suffered from mild to moderate gangrene of the genitals after taking Jardiance, Invokana, or Farxiga, call this number. You may be eligible to take part in a class action suit."

• LOL 8
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

"I am a non-attorney spokesperson. If you or someone you know has suffered from mild to moderate gangrene of the genitals after taking Jardiance, Invokana, or Farxiga, call this number. You may be eligible to take part in a class action suit."

"In which I'll take the lion's share of the settlement and you will walk away with a lolly pop and a mustache comb."

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

"In which I'll take the lion's share of the settlement and you will walk away with a lolly pop and a mustache comb."

You could also choose a Barbie Mirror, a Bon Jovi Toothpick, or some novelty erasers!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, and they are STILL advertising these three products on TV!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My Dad passed away a couple of years ago - he was almost 91.  About 4 years prior, they found cancer, he was treated, and things seemed OK.  It returned and while he did go for some treatment, there wasn't much to do at that point.  Last year, my Mom received letters from a couple of law firms.  He had been an airline mechanic for 40 years, and several large manufacturers of maintenance supplies had been sued over carcinogenics in their supplies, and we could be entitled to a settlement under the class action suits.  My sister gathered up his medical records for them, the lawyers did there thing, and said we were entitled to somewhere around $35K...except that the companies had declared bankruptcy, and the judge ordered that the settlements be paid at 5% of the award amounts, so we ended up with less than $2K out of that ordeal.

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, Brattinella said:

And, please don't do an image search for it.  It is horrible beyond words.

You know saying this is like putting a slice of cake in front of a kid and telling them not to eat it.  😀

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

I have no idea what commercial this is,  but I keep seeing lunatic Jim Carey popping a bubble and shouting "bloop!" on my TV. What in the wide wide world of sports is going on?

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

The Carvana commercial. Why would you order a car off the internet. I hope these people find a way to test drive it and/or have a mechanic checked it out before buying it.

From what I've heard, you have a 7 day trial period to drive/inspect it once you get it.  Not sure if there is a "restocking" fee, or how it might effect a car loan, but apparently you can return it if you don't like it.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

The Carvana commercial. Why would you order a car off the internet. I hope these people find a way to test drive it and/or have a mechanic checked it out before buying it.

They bring it to you, and you have so many days to decide (3, I think).

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

From what I've heard, you have a 7 day trial period to drive/inspect it once you get it. 

That's generally better than what you get buying a car unseen from a dealer bringing it over from another lot. But, it's good if your mechanic is on top of any recent natural disasters in other parts of the country, so that something like hidden flood damage can be caught.

• Love 2

It's not the commercial that baffles me. It's the spokeswoman's hand. I don't remember what drug it's for - something that begins with a J? and there are 3 reasons to take it. And they show a woman's hand in a loose fist. As they count off #1, she extends her index finger. #2, the middle finger is extended. Then they get to #3 and she extends her ring finger so all three straight fingers are lined up together...AND HER PINKY is still flat against her palm.
I used to play guitar - my left hand/fingers were very flexible, but I could never do that. I mean, unless you've got some severed tendon or something, how the hell do you keep your pinky against your palm with the ring finger sticking straight out?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

how the hell do you keep your pinky against your palm with the ring finger sticking straight out?

you know I just tried it! And the answer is, I don't, I have to hold my pinky down with my thumb. But I don't count to 3 with my fingers like that. Many zillion years ago, I too American Sign Language at Galludet, I count 1 on my forefinger, 2 on the middle finger and 3 with my thumb, 4 is thumb down and all 4 fingers up. Since I learned to count that way, I still do.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And they show a woman's hand in a loose fist. As they count off #1, she extends her index finger. #2, the middle finger is extended. Then they get to #3 and she extends her ring finger so all three straight fingers are lined up together...AND HER PINKY is still flat against her palm.
I used to play guitar - my left hand/fingers were very flexible, but I could never do that. I mean, unless you've got some severed tendon or something, how the hell do you keep your pinky against your palm with the ring finger sticking straight out?

I've never seen the commercial, but you sure got me curious.  With a truly loose fist, my remaining fingers remain as they were as I extend my index finger, curl at the middle knuckle when I also extend my middle finger, and the best I can do with the pinky once I add my ring finger to the extended group is have it practically perpendicular to my palm.  But I have semi-long nails (about 1/4" past the skin of my fingers), and by tightening my fist just enough to tuck my nails into the flesh of my palm, I can, by the point where the first three are extended, keep the pinky not flat to my palm, but tucked in a low arch.  Is it possible that's what she did?

• Love 1

Does she have the pad of her pinky against her palm, or just against her hand at the base of her pinky?  I ask because if it’s the latter, I can do that, but if her pinky’s further down on her hand, I don’t know how she does it, either.  And yes, I have been sitting here trying that instead of eating my breakfast!  🙂 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

It's not the commercial that baffles me. It's the spokeswoman's hand. I don't remember what drug it's for - something that begins with a J? and there are 3 reasons to take it. And they show a woman's hand in a loose fist. As they count off #1, she extends her index finger. #2, the middle finger is extended. Then they get to #3 and she extends her ring finger so all three straight fingers are lined up together...AND HER PINKY is still flat against her palm.

Maybe she's got mild to moderate dupuytren's contracture.

• Love 3
On 4/13/2019 at 9:55 PM, shoovenbooty said:

Why does the commercial with Kathie Lee Gifford singing about the "Takl" app have the background singer singing LOUDER than Kathie Lee? It looks like she's lip-syncing a song sung by a deep-voiced man. I showed my husband the commercial and told him, "Tell me what's wrong with this commercial." He said, "Kathie Lee sounds like a guy?"

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ImaS/takl-jingle-featuring-kathie-lee-gifford

The guy isn't singing LOUDER than Kathy Lee, she's lip syncing to his voice.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:59 AM, margol29 said:

I don't know if this is a local area commercial but I think it's for Tax Act. It shows people in a laundromat doing laundry and Tax Act is handing them $100 to do their taxes.

Why in a laundromat? Does Tax Act set up shop in laundromats?

Just weird!!

On 3/29/2019 at 11:27 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

Maybe they launder money!

On 3/29/2019 at 12:02 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

They want people to come clean?

On 3/29/2019 at 1:15 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

It'll all come out in the wash anyway.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

I guess you could spin it that way.

I love you people! You're why I come here.

• Love 7

There's a computer assistant ad (Alexa?) that confesses me. I think it's about a daughter returning from a soccer game she lost and locking herself in her room, then awakening the mother by bouncing the soccer ball off the wall outside in the dark. The mother awakens, and tells Alexa to turn on the outside lights and she joins her. I'm not sure where to begin!

• Love 4