Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Just saw a commercial with a woman driving, at night, with ominous music playing. The announcer says, "Somewhere out there is a poacher with your name on it." Um, what? I look up to realize he's saying "puncture" and they're advertising tires that will keep driving with a puncture. I'm a little disappointed that poachers aren't targeting soccer moms, but I have a sick sense of humor.

• Love 16
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Hello, this is Vincent Price speaking to you from beyond the grave, mwhahaha, ahem... for good digestive health eat Yakult or I will eat your braaiinnss.."

That should probably be something like "...or you shall die a horrible death". VP generally played persons of some bearing, like doctors, wizards, and royalty, so I don't see him as a zombie.

16 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Yes, but he'd be an iZombie zombie, rather than the kind of stereotypical riff-raff you see in horror films.

Oh god, yes. He was assuredly an elegant fellow. I saw him live in 1980 doing his one man show Oscar Wilde: Diversions and Delights. He was wonderful.

• Love 4

If you're a company that prints photos on glass that can be wall hung or table displayed and are apparently "guaranteed for life" against breakage, why in the world would you name your company..."Fracture"?

• Love 10
On 8/31/2017 at 7:57 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't get this ad:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wA23/offerup-new-surprises

I've never used OfferUp, but why is the couple acting like they're on a game show? If they know what they're bidding on, it isn't actually a surprise.

I think the point is you never know what someone near you may offer up for sale. This couple needs a flat screen tv and a sofa, so "Come on, flat screen tv and sofa," or "Come on, someone post a flat tv or sofa for sale."

10 hours ago, Tunia said:

If you're a company that prints photos on glass that can be wall hung or table displayed and are apparently "guaranteed for life" against breakage, why in the world would you name your company..."Fracture"?

Because that's what happens to a customer's wallet?

• Love 3

I can't believe it. Wayfair has come out with a commercial I don't hate. Dare I say it? I love it! It's a bluesy song touting the many benefits of their service. The song may not be everbody's cup of tea but at least had an original song written and recorded for their product and didn't just use some tired, recycled old pop song.

• Love 1

So, the Jane Krakowski Trop Lite ads that originated...I want to say a couple years ago? At least a year ago. Are making the rounds again. The one with the Biggest Loser Trainer Guy whose name I don't remember. Anyway, when it first aired, it was annoying because it was grammatically incorrect. They said "less calories" when it should've been "fewer". Well they've looped it since. So now they do say "fewer", which I find delightful. (It's the little things, folks. The little things.) BUT the original ad involved the dude looking at the label and then commenting on it. The label he looks at still says "less" even while the new audio (with his lips not moving because it's the back of his head over the shoulder looking at the bottle) says "fewer". I can't decide if I think it's hilarious or puzzling or both. They bothered to correct the audio, but not the visual. I'm intrigued by this.

• Love 5

I had trouble deciding what forum this GlaxoSmithKline commercial belongs in, since there's not a WTF?!? commercial thread. It's for the whooping cough vaccine, and it's a terrifying take on "Little Red Riding Hood".

There are two versions of the commercial. I saw the scarier (in my opinion) version online. Grandma morphs into the Wolf as she's holding her grandbaby. In the other version, she's already the Wolf when holds the kid. In both cases, the Wolf/Grandma looks "lovingly" at the baby like it's going to be a tasty snack.

Sleep tight, everyone!

https://ispot.tv/a/w5jE

https://ispot.tv/a/7ctF

• Love 2
8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I had trouble deciding what forum this GlaxoSmithKline commercial belongs in, since there's not a WTF?!? commercial thread. It's for the whooping cough vaccine, and it's a terrifying take on "Little Red Riding Hood".

There are two versions of the commercial. I saw the scarier (in my opinion) version online. Grandma morphs into the Wolf as she's holding her grandbaby. In the other version, she's already the Wolf when holds the kid. In both cases, the Wolf/Grandma looks "lovingly" at the baby like it's going to be a tasty snack.

That's a creepy one, alright!

4 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

There's and old DIY trick to taming the smell of paint.  Add vanilla to a gallon of paint and stir.  Probably a lot more healthier for you than adding chemicals made by Glade.

That is a great idea!  Much better.

• Love 1

I worked at a movie theater in college, and I've hated popcorn ever since. I worked at an ice cream store/restaurant (when I was 15...I was not a good server) and that didn't stop me from loving ice cream. Nothing beats ice cream!

• Love 4