Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

Just now, FoundTime said:

My impression is that Reggie is supposed to be some kind of genius, but I've never enjoyed him. OTOH, squeeing at the Survivor ad!

He was okay when Scott Aukerman was writing everything he said.

Ugh Cedric.  I've seen you be funny.  This is not it.

• Love 1

I hope it’s okay to go slightly off topic to say that if you have a target rewards account (free to sign up) they have a 4-month free Apple TV trial. Plenty of time to binge Ted Lasso. Look under something like “partner offers”. 

• Useful 2
4 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

As I said on another board yesterday, I could recap tonight's show before it even aired - Ted Lasso is going to sweep the Comedy categories and The Crown is going to sweep in the Drama categories.

There you go, night complete. And these first two awards are not convincing me I was wrong. 

And Queen’s Gambit will sweep the Limited Series categories.  That’s what going to happen tonight.  It’s going to get boring fast.

Hoping it would be Kathryn Hahn, but I heard great things about Julianne Nicholson in Mare of Easttown, so I'm not surprised.

As much as I loved getting to finally see Hamilton, it is weird seeing this being eligible for Emmys...

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2
Just now, wallflower75 said:

I am still puzzled over how the hell Hamilton was considered for both Emmy and Oscar consideration.  I thought they stopped letting them do that?

Pretty sure it wasn’t considered for Oscar consideration because it never got any kind of theatrical release and went to streaming instead which falls under TV. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

I am still puzzled over how the hell Hamilton was considered for both Emmy and Oscar consideration.  I thought they stopped letting them do that?

I know their noms are ridiculous here, but damn if the little clips didn’t make me want to watch it again.

• Love 5
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Hoping it would be Kathryn Hahn, but I heard great things about Julianne Nicholson in Mare of Easttown, so I'm not surprised.

As much as I loved getting to finally see Hamilton, it is weird seeing this being eligible for Emmys...

Yes they're playing her off.  Sorry, she was getting boring.  For once I agree with the playing off.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

And Queen’s Gambit will sweep the Limited Series categories.  That’s what going to happen tonight.  It’s going to get boring fast.

Not too sure about that though. I think the weird timing may end up hurting it. By that I mean Mare of Eastown, which came out a lot later and so is more recent in voters' mind, may end up stealing its thunder. 

Anya was amazing but she's now up against Queen Kate Winslet. So that may be a toughie. And it's kind of the same thing that happened to Normal People.

It had so much buzz and strength but by the time award season rolled around, The Queen's Gambit had stolen its thunder.

eta: And I see I'm right about Mare of Eastown stealing their thunder as they are now 2 for 2. Btw, I adore Evan Peters and have for years but I saw Mare of Eastown and I'm not sure I agree with that win.

Edited by truthaboutluv
2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Pretty sure it wasn’t considered for Oscar consideration because it never got any kind of theatrical release and went to streaming instead which falls under TV. 

You're right--I got confused with the Golden Globes, where it did get nominations.

Kathryn Hahn was robbed. I watched both Mare of Easttown and WandaVision and there is no doubt, to me, that the more nuanced and important performance was Agnes/Agatha. To be honest, I cannot even remember Julianne Nicholson's character's name. The character was kind of background until the final episodes.

Yeah for Evan Peters!!! So deserved - his performance was the heart of the show. It wasn't the same once his character's arc was done.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Anya was amazing but she's now up against Queen Kate Winslet. So that may be a toughie. And it's kind of the same thing that happened to Normal People. It had so much buzz and strength but by the time award season rolled around, The Queen's Gambit had stolen its thunder.

All five nominated performances are outstanding in that category.  Well deserved whichever woman wins 

Woohoo recast Pietro.  Was rooting for Evan!

1 minute ago, ShadowHunter said:

Evan Peters!! I've loved him S1 of American Horror Story. So happy.

I kept trying to remember where I'd heard of him before and finally caved to the Wikipedia gods.  I watched him on "Invasion" about 15 years ago, so yay!!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Now I’m worried that Wandavision won’t win anything.

They won a few creative ones with the fantastic earworm Agatha All Along winning best song.  At this point, Elisabeth is the best bet and that category is TOUGH!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

Now I’m worried that Wandavision won’t win anything.

Same. I’m sure Mare of Easttown is deserving (I haven’t seen it) but I’m gonna be so pissed if WandaVision gets nothing tonight.