Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

On 9/22/2020 at 4:46 AM, bmoore4026 said:

OK, I saw it last night but wasn't up to posting here.  Sorry.

I guess I have to watch Watchmen now and see what all the hubbub is about.  And Schitt's Creek.

I do know this much - we don't need "comedy" at these award shows.  They are cringe inducing torture with an audience, but without an audience is even worse.  When you're performing shtick to an empty house, you're fasting your and everybody else's time.  No one cares.  It's why I'm not watching the late shows except for John Oliver; you need to have something to bounce things off of or else it just goes to crap.  That's my two cents.  God knows how the Oscars will be (if it happens at all.)

I recommend watching Seth Meyers for the sake of your mental health in these dark, dark days. At least catch A Closer Look on YouTube. Colbert can be pretty cutting too, in a therapeutic kind of way.

• Love 3

Some changes are coming to Emmys' categories.

Emmys: TV Academy Merges Variety Talk and Sketch Categories, Expands Limited Series to Include Anthologies, DQs Oscar Hopefuls

The most notable move, in a year in which most films are being unveiled on TV due to the closure of movie theaters, is that any non-documentary film that is uploaded to the film Academy's streaming site — in other words, any non-documentary film that is seeking Oscar recognition — will be disqualified from the Emmy competition. This means that something like Greyhound, from Apple TV+, will not be Emmy-eligible, but Hamilton, from Disney+, will be.

Here is the TV Academy's specific wording about this: "To clarify the distinction between theatrical motion pictures and television movies during the ongoing pandemic, any non-documentary film placed on the AMPAS viewing platform for Oscar consideration will be deemed a theatrical motion picture and thus ineligible for the Emmy competition. Additionally, the previously announced rule will apply: Effective in 2021, any programs that have been nominated for an Oscar are no longer eligible to enter the Primetime Emmy Awards competition."

1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Nominations are being announced this Wednesday. Anyone have a particular show or actor they'd like to see nominated?

Also, is there a host this year?

Small correction: The Emmy nominations are being announced this Tuesday, July 13th. The Emmys' website, which I'm linking here, shows the time of the announcement as 8:30 a.m. PDT, but I'm wondering if that is actually correct, as the announcement is usually at 8:30 a.m. Eastern so the network morning shows can air them and discuss. 

https://www.emmys.com/events/73rd-emmy-nominations-announcement

I've done some searching and I can't find any info on a host having been named for this year's telecast, so barring a last-minute announcement, it appears that the Emmys will be hostless.

As to personal favorites, I will be angry if Jurnee Smollett's incredible performance in Lovecraft Country is overlooked. Some of the articles I've been reading have Jonathan Majors listed as a likely nominee, but not Jurnee. 😠

• Love 1

My bad, I keep thinking the 11th is Monday instead of today.

I'm annoyed it's hostless. I like award shows having hosts as it gives a bit of direction. Will this be done via zoom or similar to the Oscars? I assume similar to the Oscars as the US is reopening.

4 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Who’s turn is it to host the Emmys? I lost track of the network rotation.

CBS / Paramount+ 

https://www.emmys.com/events/73rd-emmy-nominations-announcement 

About the Event 

Presenters Ron Cephas Jones and Jasmine Cephas Jones, along with Television Academy Chairman and CEO Frank Scherma, will announce the nominees for the 73rd Emmy Awards on July 13, 2021.

Tune in Sunday, September 19 for the 73rd Emmy Awardson CBS and Paramount+.

July 13, 2021

8:30 am PDT

Presented LIVE here on Emmys.com

And we have a host.

Cedric the Entertainer, star of hit CBS comedy series The Neighborhood, has been tapped by the network and the Television Academy to host the 73rd Emmy Awards on Sept. 19. The live ceremony will be held in-person at the Microsoft Theater with a limited audience of nominees and their guests.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/cedric-the-entertainer-host-2021-emmy-awards-live-audience-cbs-reginald-hudlin-ian-stewart-1234790495/

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I feel like the Emmys are going to be a giant mess this year with so many nominees.  The poor acting winners are only going to be allowed 10 seconds for their speeches because so much time is going to be spent announcing nominees for each category. 

• Love 2

Here is the list of nominations:

https://ew.com/awards/emmys/emmys-2021-nominations-list/

I was thinking maybe "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" missed the eligibility period, but then I see a single nomination for Don Cheadle's cameo.  To which I say, WTF?  Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie were both amazing in this show.  Particularly Sebastian Stan, the scene where he breaks down and cries.

Instead, the Emmys see fit to nominate pretty much every male who had a sizeable role on "Hamilton".  Hamilton?!?!?  I had the same issues as I did with the Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild awards.  It was a recording of a stage performance THAT HAPPENED LIKE FIVE YEARS AGO.  It's NOT a TV movie or limited series.  What a waste of so many nomination slots.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

So happy Evan Peters finally get an Emmy Nomination. He was great in Mare of Easttown. A few of the seasons of AHS he would be the only reason to keep watching.

Cobra Kai as best comedy that is awesome news. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 6

Sometimes I wish there was a limit on how many actors can be nominated in one category per show. I thought it was a once off when it happened with Succession last year but this year it’s just categories filled with all actors from one show.

Agree about wtf to Hamilton. It’s not a new show - it’s so annoying it keeps getting nominated. Also, Emily in Paris?? 

Delighted to see Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant get nominated for SNL. Also super happy to see Wandavision get nominated for its cast.

• Love 1

The Emily in Paris thing is head scratcher.  Weird to get a best Comedy nom but nothing in acting, writing, directing etc. 

I am a hard core Ted Lasso stan and thinks it deserves all the praise. But yeah, the supporting actor category could very easily lose two of those from there.

But overall I am very pleased with the Noms.  Super tickled about all the Lovecraft Country noms.  And very pleased that The Black Lady Sketch Show got writing love.  Their skits are super clever.  The Last Supper skit was just crackling with fabulous puns and riffs on the bible and sexism.  And as much as I love Yvette Nicole Brown, I would have given Amber Riley the guest actress nom.

As expected The Queen's Gambit got a lot of love.  Also well deserved.  I am super pleased t(and super surprised!) that both Thomas-Brody Sangster and Moses Ingram got recognized.  Both were very deserving.  But I think Marielle Heller who played Beth's mom got robbed.  Alma was superbly written and acted.  We could easily lose one of the (imo) undeserving Hamilton slots (As much as I love Renee Elise Goldsberry....) and it could have gone to Heller.

• Love 4

I loved Hamilton, but in my opinion it should have never been eligible for the Emmys. I was genuinely shocked that it managed to get seven acting nominations.

Here's hoping that none of them win. They've already got Tonys and Grammys, and I'd rather see the Emmy go to an actor or actress who was actually on a television show.

• Love 8

Third, or fourth, the opinion on Hamilton being nominated as a movie. If I record a high school play and stream it online, would that be eligible? David Byrne's Utopia is also in there for a bunch as a variety special, when it's 99% just a filmed play.

I always go to the full list of all 100+ categories to look for the more obscure stuff.

• Oooh! Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal got a nod for Outstanding Animated Program!
  • Robot Chicken gets one last chance at Short Form Animated Program
  • Savage X Fenty Show Vol. 2-Outstanding Choreography For Variety Or Reality Programming. The heck?
  • The Handmaid's Tale is nominated for contemporary hairstyle and makeup, but doesn't it take place in the future...
  • Oprah gets one as host of the Meghan and Harry interview

• Love 2
16 hours ago, blackwing said:

I was thinking maybe "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" missed the eligibility period, but then I see a single nomination for Don Cheadle's cameo.  To which I say, WTF?  Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie were both amazing in this show.  Particularly Sebastian Stan, the scene where he breaks down and cries.

I love Don Cheadle, but a cameo that can be measured in seconds should not be an Emmy nominee, even in the Guest Actor category. Right show, wrong actor nominated. Cheadle's slot should have gone to Carl Lumbly's brilliant performance as Isaiah Bradley.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

So happy for Hacks. It made my year. I was surprised Ted Danson wasn’t nominated for Mr. Mayor. He’s very good in it.

Broadcast shows have such a difficult time getting noticed these days. They can’t go backwards, but broadcast, cable, and streaming shows should be different categories. Cable used to have the CableAce awards. Does those still exist?

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Broadcast shows have such a difficult time getting noticed these days. They can’t go backwards, but broadcast, cable, and streaming shows should be different categories. Cable used to have the CableAce awards. Does those still exist?

Why can't networks just make higher quality shows? Sure there is some of the content issues, but there isn't really anything stopping say NBC from making a series as good as Better Call Saul, or having a miniseries like The Queen's Gambit, other than they don't want to. The Disney+ stuff is a perfect example. The Mandalorian or Wandavision could have gone in ABC but Disney wanted to use them to push their streaming service.

• Love 1

Jeebus.  Do Sudeikis and friends have compromising pictures of people?  The show is OK, but it sure as heck isn't 20 nominations good.

There were some decent network shows and performances (Mr. Mayor, Prodigal Son) that got ignored.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, blackwing said:

I was thinking maybe "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier" missed the eligibility period, but then I see a single nomination for Don Cheadle's cameo.  To which I say, WTF? 

He agrees with your reaction. 

17 hours ago, ProudMary said:

love Don Cheadle, but a cameo that can be measured in seconds should not be an Emmy nominee, even in the Guest Actor category. Right show, wrong actor nominated. Cheadle's slot should have gone to Carl Lumbly's brilliant performance as Isaiah Bradley.

It’s not possible for Lumbly to get Cheadle’s slot. Carl Lumbly’s role was recurring. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

He agrees with your reaction. 

It’s not possible for Lumbly to get Cheadle’s slot. Carl Lumbly’s role was recurring. 

Charles Dance, Courtney B. Vance and Carl Weathers had recurring roles in their respective series, yet were nominated in the Guest Actor category alongside Don Cheadle and Timothy Olyphant, who each only appeared in one episode. I was shocked that Vance was nominated here and not in Supporting, as he appeared in three episodes of "Lovecraft Country" in a relatively large role. (I'm not questioning his nomination; he gave an excellent performance. Just questioning the category.)

Carl Lumbly would have qualified in this category.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Charles Dance, Courtney B. Vance and Carl Weathers had recurring roles in their respective series, yet were nominated in the Guest Actor category alongside Don Cheadle and Timothy Olyphant, who each only appeared in one episode. I was shocked that Vance was nominated here and not in Supporting, as he appeared in three episodes of "Lovecraft Country" in a relatively large role. (I'm not questioning his nomination; he gave an excellent performance. Just questioning the category.)

Charles Dance and Carl Weathers were recurring in previous seasons but they each only appeared in one episode of the eligible season. I haven’t watched Lovecraft Country so I have no idea what happened there. Recurring and guest star status is all determined by contracts. 

The actor, show and/or network determine which category each person is submitted for. Disney’s Emmy campaign for the show had Cheadle in the guest actor category and Lumbly in the supporting actor category. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

There are rules about how many episodes a "guest actor" can appear in.  It has to be fewer than half of the episodes of a season.  So 3 out of 10 for Courtney B. Vance is eligible.  3 out of 6 for Lumbly is not.

A few years ago, Peter MacNicol lost his guest actor nomination because he ended up appearing in five out of 10 episodes total (one of which aired after the nomination deadline) of Veep. He had a few second cameo in the season finale.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I assume this is not a zoom show on Sunday right? Hopefully they have it setup the way the Oscars were. 

I read that there is going to be a live ceremony from a giant air-conditioned tent. And it might just be me but air conditioning a giant tent in the summer in California seems like a massive waste of energy. You would think that with the number of people in showbiz who care about climate change someone might have pointed that out. I would at least hope they relax the dress code a bit so people can dress a bit more casually (like the kind of clothes someone might wear to a beach wedding) rather than gowns and tuxes.

• Love 1

The Creative Arts Emmys were held this past Saturday and Sunday. I'm linking the lists of winners posted by both Variety and The Hollywood Reporter as you need both of them to find out all the winners. Both publications have put out a list of all the nominees in each category, which I like so you can see who was competing, and then they put the winner's name(s) in bold print. The problem is that in several categories, each publication forgot to put the winner's name(s) in bold. You need to scroll through both listings in order to find out who all the winners are.  

Proofreading is evidently dead. 😒

THR. Creative Arts Emmys: ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Wins a Leading 9 Awards
I think these four guest acting awards (comedy/drama) will be of interest to most people. 

'The Mandalorian' followed with seven Emmys, with guest acting trophies going to Dave Chappelle, Maya Rudolph, Courtney B. Vance and Claire Foy.

VARIETY. 2021 Creative Arts Emmys: Full Winners List

• Useful 2
On 9/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, ProudMary said:

think these four guest acting awards (comedy/drama) will be of interest to most people

Those categories were stacked but good choices all around.

Stanley Tuccis Italy documentary series won too.  I'm always happy when Stanley wins.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I like the necklace Kathryn Hahn is wearing. Not sure if I like her outfit though.

Her belt feels overly aggressive to me.  LOL.

So far really liking:

Kenan Thompson (what  a fab color)

Samira Wiley (she and her wife both look gorgeous!)

Nicole Beyer (extravagant and a glorious color)

I think the belt kind of brings Kathryn Hahn's look together.  I'm giving it the thumbs up.

I like Kenan and Bowen's look.  Bit I always appreciate when the men mix it up.  Although part of me wishes Bowen had dressed up as the iceberg.

• LOL 1