Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

If only Perry's shows were as good as that speech.

I can't watch his stuff. I'm not interested but he entertains so many millions of fans and they are happy so I applaud him.  Nothing is for everyone.  What a businessman and visionary.  

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I don't watch Succession. It seems good but it looks like all the characters don't like each other.

It's outstanding; but your perception isn't wrong. Let's just say that the Roy family puts the "fun" in dysfunctional!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Guess we have to wait a little longer for Succession to collect its trophy.  Unless all of the voters have been secretly trolling everyone and give Best Drama to The Mandalorian!  (Don't get me wrong, I really love that show, but it would be insane if it somehow wins against every other show in the category.)

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know Zendaya or "Euphoria," but she is wearing the first awards-ceremony-worthy dress I've seen tonight --IMO.
ETA: Although Laverne Cox is fine too.

2 more wearers of Emmy-worthy fashion: 
Julia Garner
Yara Shahidi

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Billy Crudup?  I'm sure he did great, but I'm guessing some splitting for the Succession guys helped caused this.

Although, now both men to play Doctor Manhattan have won an Emmy tonight!

You're right. I hadn't thought of that!

And yes on the Succession trio. Were I a voter, I wouldn't have been able to decide among them.

• Love 2

This show wasn't bad. Most of the bits were bad though. It was nice they had a few essential workers on.  We had some nice speeches. It was good to talk with everyone. I hope we can have a regular Emmy show again next year. 

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 11

Sterling Kathleen was much funnier than Kimmel.

Loved the essential workers as presenters. Making it a fundraiser gave the show a touch of class. 

The winners tonight: Canada and alpacas.

Watchmen and Succession didn't do so badly, either. 🙂

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 9

I watched the first 15 minutes of this (I don't normally watch award shows) & sat here staring at the audience wondering what the hell was wrong with these people that they would actually show up for this. I was so happy to discover I'm a moron.

• LOL 12

All I dared to hope for tonight was a Catherine O'Hara win, and to get a total sweep instead??  Beyond thrilled!  Of course, a sweep was inevitable because

giphy.gif

My absolute favorite win, though, was Annie Murphy because she was the one about whom I was the least confident, and I REALLLLLLLY didn't want her to be the only unrewarded one (with all credit to the also incredible D'Arcy Carden).  And then she won!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=15621263

Regina King and my future husband Yahya Abdul-Mateen II were also fabulous, deserving winners, and I loved the writing and series wins for Watchmen and the directing win for Maria Schrader.

On the drama series side, Jeremy Strong was phenomenal, and I was rooting for him.  I loved seeing Julia Garner repeat and thought the other wins for Succession were deserved and fantastic.  I haven't seen Euphoria and assumed Laura Linney (who was unbelievably stellar) had Lead Actress locked up, but I have heard that Zendaya was incredible herself; I should check that show out.  Honestly, the only winner I'm even a little ambivalent about is Billy Crudup, and that's because I loved Matthew Macfadyen so much (not to mention Tom Pelphrey, who should have won this award running away); maybe I'll watch The Morning Show.

I actually liked the show, aside from the very tone-deaf burning of the envelope, and thought they did as well as they possibly could with it, considering the incredible constrants.

Honestly, as far as the winners go, this is, hands down, the best Emmys ever.  It's a tiny ray of sunshine in this nuclear disaster of a year for me, so, Emmy voters,

giphy.gif

Edited by NUguy514
  • Love 11

I haven't seen Schitt's Creek yet, though I have heard nothing but rave reviews from those who had.  I have, however, watched The Good Place from beginning to end, and it remains the most original show aired on television.  The fact that it never won an Emmy (please tell me I am wrong!) is a travesty that turns me off all future Emmy awards.  Beyond ridiculous.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

Can’t believe Zendaya actually won.  Haven’t seen Euphoria.  Based on the trailer, it’s not my cup of tea.  But still.

It's a gritty drama about adolescent life. I watched the first episode and decided it wasn't for me, but I thought Zendaya was excellent.  I have teenagers who watched it and enjoyed it. 

43 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I haven't seen Schitt's Creek yet, though I have heard nothing but rave reviews from those who had.  I have, however, watched The Good Place from beginning to end, and it remains the most original show aired on television.  The fact that it never won an Emmy (please tell me I am wrong!) is a travesty that turns me off all future Emmy awards.  Beyond ridiculous.

Agreed. I loved Schitt's Creek, but I also thought the early seasons of The Good Place were smart, funny, and well-acted. But it barely got any critical acclaim until recently, when the show wasn't quite as good, IMO. It seems there's definitely a bias now against network shows now. Are there any besides This Is Us that are consistently recognized by the Emmys? 

7 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I’m pretty sure she was! Lol!

She has talked about the Alexander McQueen dress.  She paid over $4,000 for it and was going to get her money's worth and didn't care if she was seen in it more than once.  Supposedly she had finally retired the dress, but there it was!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Is Schitt's Creek really that good? With the exception of Best In Show, everything I've seen Levy/O'Hara/et.al. in has been painfully unfunny.

It truly is amazing. I fell in love with it so fast, it's my favorite comedy now. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Luvzmutt said:

This bit with burning the envelope is NOT funny

Anybody else remember Dave's live morning show on NBC? The one where he threw an in-studio anniversary party for a Long Island couple, capped off with sparklers and rose petals, and, eventually, fire extinguishers? Fun starts about 6:00.

Edited by SG429
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I wanted Good Place to win something, the final episode written by Michael Schur was lovely, but I guess, not enough actual comedy? I just want the academy to know that Ted Danson won't be around forever, so they'd better reward him again for something soon!

I tried Schitt's Creek one time, I didn't find it funny. Do I have to try again? ALL of the comedy awards??

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I tried Schitt's Creek one time, I didn't find it funny. Do I have to try again? ALL of the comedy awards??

It takes a while to click into it's groove. It starts as just a basic "fish out of water" show - but the sweetness and humor comes as the family starts to connect with each other and the town. I think that's what people respond to, there was never a "very special episode" where someone learns to accept the pansexual David. The town just did, no question.  I think the inclusivity of it at this time really pushed it forward. Plus it really is very funny! No show is for everyone though, and that's okay too!

• Love 15
39 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

It takes a while to click into it's groove. It starts as just a basic "fish out of water" show - but the sweetness and humor comes as the family starts to connect with each other and the town. I think that's what people respond to, there was never a "very special episode" where someone learns to accept the pansexual David. The town just did, no question.  I think the inclusivity of it at this time really pushed it forward. Plus it really is very funny! No show is for everyone though, and that's okay too!

You hit the nail right on it's head.  Excellent overview!!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

[Tiffany Haddish] has talked about the Alexander McQueen dress.  She paid over $4,000 for it and was going to get her money's worth and didn't care if she was seen in it more than once.  Supposedly she had finally retired the dress, but there it was!

I love this and I hope she keeps on wearing it.  I'm sure men wear the same tuxes or suits all the time and nobody notices.

13 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Congratulations to Julia Garner.  Ozark is a good show.

Was rooting for Helena Bonham Carter.  She was perfection as Princess Margaret, it's a shame that this amazing actress has yet to win an Oscar or Emmy.

14 hours ago, DollEyes said:

I'm thrilled for Uzo, but I was hoping that Jean Smart would get an Emmy. A big, blue one.😉

She was robbed for her amazing performance as Martha Logan on "24" and I've rooted for her in anything ever since then.

I missed the beginning of the show... but it sounds like the Emmys sent people in hazmat suits to the homes of all of the nominees with actual Emmys, and then they would ring the doorbell if the person actually won?  Are these already engraved with their names or does the engraving get done later?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, cpcathy said:

One episode of Schitt's Creek was more than enough for me. I only tried it because my cousin raved about it on FB, but she and I are in very different social spheres. This gave me unpleasant flashbacks to the hotel room with the beer cans under the bed where I stayed with a daughter while applying for a job. So, not my choice.

I tried a few episodes of Ozark after seeing an interview with Julia Garner, but it too gave me a little shiver of PTSD.

I'm looking forward to the new season of Fargo and hoping people will still be thinking about Perry Mason by the time next year's Emmys roll around (assuming further apocalyptic events don't shut it down altogether).  I'm not sure what my appreciation of those shows says about me.

• Love 2

TV Line had an interesting article listing some notable shows that never received Emmys. I was shocked to see "The Wire" was among them, but there's quite a few surprising/interesting ones in there. Award shows are indeed quite the fickle business. 

https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-shows-no-emmys-wins-never-won-the-good-place/

(The mention of "Bates Motel"... *Quietly grumbles once again about how Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore got robbed regarding their work on that show*)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

OK, I saw it last night but wasn't up to posting here.  Sorry.

I guess I have to watch Watchmen now and see what all the hubbub is about.  And Schitt's Creek.

I do know this much - we don't need "comedy" at these award shows.  They are cringe inducing torture with an audience, but without an audience is even worse.  When you're performing shtick to an empty house, you're fasting your and everybody else's time.  No one cares.  It's why I'm not watching the late shows except for John Oliver; you need to have something to bounce things off of or else it just goes to crap.  That's my two cents.  God knows how the Oscars will be (if it happens at all.)

On 9/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, shapeshifter said:

One episode of Schitt's Creek was more than enough for me. I only tried it because my cousin raved about it on FB, but she and I are in very different social spheres. This gave me unpleasant flashbacks to the hotel room with the beer cans under the bed where I stayed with a daughter while applying for a job. So, not my choice.

I tried a few episodes of Ozark after seeing an interview with Julia Garner, but it too gave me a little shiver of PTSD.

I'm looking forward to the new season of Fargo and hoping people will still be thinking about Perry Mason by the time next year's Emmys roll around (assuming further apocalyptic events don't shut it down altogether).  I'm not sure what my appreciation of those shows says about me.

I know Julia Garner from her work on The Americans and if there was something about her that you liked in that interview and you haven't seen The Americans (and I'll bet you have, so maybe this is for everyone else out there who hasn't 😉), I think you would enjoy her in that.

I am inordinately excited for the new season of Fargo! It's been a long wait. Noah Hawley is interviewed on this week's episode of Bullseye, fwiw.

• Useful 1