Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I have issues.  The fact that the Outsider and The Plot Against America pretty much got the shaft but an uneven season of Handmaids Tale gets showered with love.  That said the fact that the Mandalorian got a nod is pretty awesome.  And Better Call Saul has been sitting in shadows of the behemoth that was Game of Thrones so with that obstacle removed I'm hoping it finally takes the prize.

I suppose I'll watch Mrs America now.  I've been putting it off because in this yellow snowball of a year I really didn't want to watch a glorification of that fucking demon woman but I'll bite. 

Agree about best drama actress being stacked.  Emmy loves it when their darlings cross genres so my $$$ is on Aniston.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well I might need to apologize to Hollywood.   I might be the kiss of death or a curse or something.   If I really want someone to get nominated they are guaranteed to get snubbed.   For years it was Alison Wright on The Americans and this year it was Rhea Seehorn on Better Call Saul.

Also my hated of HBO continues.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

Very pleased that The Watchmen, got a lot of Emmy Love.  Sucks that Tim Blake Nelson got snubbed because Looking Glass was phenomenal.  II would have rather him get a nod than Jeremy Irons.  But I am so happy that Regina King, Jean Smart, Yahya,  Abdul-Mateen, Lousi Gosett Jr and Jovan Adepo all got nods. Also just love that the title design got a nod. I love the episode title design for each ep.

I hate that in order to be considered a comedy all it takes is a half hour running time.  Dead to Me is a fine show, but I hate that actresses in actually funny shows get pushed out for what are essentially dramatic parts.

Also, thrilled that the Black Lady Sketch show is getting some well deserved recognition. As much as I liked Angela Bassett in the Bad Bitch support group, I honestly think LaVerne Cox was better in that.  But every single one of the 4 mains are consistently excellent in all the sketches, especially Gabrielle Dennis.

Eddie Murphy's nod for his return to SNL is very welcome.  And I am tickled that Maya Rudolph is running against herself in a category.  LOL.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I hate that in order to be considered a comedy all it takes is a half hour running time.  Dead to Me is a fine show, but I hate that actresses in actually funny shows get pushed out for what are essentially dramatic parts.

I see no lies here.  Applegate and Cardellini are great, but that's not a funny show.

• Love 2

Just saw the Emmy nominations and realized that not only had I not watched pretty much anything that got nominated, I wasn't even interested in watching any of it.  I guess that saves me an evening of tv viewing, so thanks members of the TV academy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Good Place worked because Kristen Bell was a delightful, despicable person.  To nominate everyone else (who all deserved it) and snub her is ridiculous.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Almost no broadcast shows got noms. Remember when the Emmys refused to make cable shows eligible and they had to set up their own separate ACE award?

On the flip side, remember when networks used to take risks and make shows like Lost or try to make smart dramas like The West Wing. There was almost nothing that would have stopped Breaking Bad or Mad Men from being network shows, at least content wise. Instead they prefer to make procedurals and reality shows. So I don't have a lot of sympathy for networks when it comes it not winning awards.

• Love 11
(edited)

It's definitely an interesting list.  I never expected The Mandalorian to be up for Best Drama Series. And It's nice to see Zendaya included. I figured everything about that show would be too raw to get noticed. She was exceptional.

On the other hand, I really thought this was the year for Better Call Saul and especially the always ignored Rhea Seehorn. That Bob Odenkirk was also overlooked is a real WTF stunner.

The TV Movie category has really gone to pot. It's a little sad to even look over now.  And I have no idea what Late Night with Seth Meyers has to do to get recognized.  His commentary is laser sharp, and the whole show is creative and genuinely  a lot of fun. Plus Amber Ruffin. I just enjoy it much more than Colbert much less The Daily Show.

Probably most happy for Cecily Strong, and her first nomination. So deserved! She's an underrated impressionist. I know it's a longshot, but I'll pull for her to win along with Kenan Thompson. Hopefully Eddie Murphy's win is locked.

BTW I usually enjoy all of HBO's shows. Succession really was the best drama of the year IMO.     

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

My only problem with HBO and the cable shows is that I don’t want to watch violence and listen to the F bomb every third word.  Just because you can doesn’t always mean you should.  I have lost track of the number of shows I only know by written recap.  (And kindly remove yourself from my lawn!)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I would give anything to have D'Arcy Carden and Annie Murphy tie, but I know Alex fucking Borstein will win again, some more.  Instead, I will have to put all my hopes and dreams on Catherine O'Hara winning.

I'm a big fan of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and enjoy Alex Borstein but she's won a couple of times already, so I'm actually hoping that Emmy voters will finally recognize D'Arcy Carden's brilliant performance as Janet in their final opportunity to do so.

5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Very pleased that The Watchmen, got a lot of Emmy Love.  Sucks that Tim Blake Nelson got snubbed because Looking Glass was phenomenal.  II would have rather him get a nod than Jeremy Irons.  But I am so happy that Regina King, Jean Smart, Yahya,  Abdul-Mateen, Lousi Gosett Jr and Jovan Adepo all got nods. Also just love that the title design got a nod. I love the episode title design for each ep.

Watchmen was absolutely the best thing I saw on my television in the past year, so I'm very pleased that it has received the lion's share of nominations, but I didn't see the worthy nomination for Jovan Adepo coming and certainly not the snub of Tim Blake Nelson, who was on just about every list of locks for a nod. Talk about a stacked category!

And, if Regina King should by any chance lose to Cate Blanchett, I may never watch the Emmys again. 😉 IMO, her portrayal of Angela Abar should receive some sort of umbrella Emmy award for best overall performance by any human! 

14 minutes ago, vb68 said:

It's definitely an interesting list.  I never expected The Mandalorian to be up for Best Drama Series. And It's nice to see Zendaya included. I figured everything about that show would be too raw to get noticed. She was exceptional.

And I have no idea what Late Night with Seth Meyers has to do to get recognized.  His commentary is laser sharp, and the whole show is creative and genuinely  a lot of fun. Plus Amber Ruffin. I just enjoy it much more than Colbert much less The Daily Show.

BTW I usually enjoy all of HBO's shows. Succession really was the best drama of the year IMO.     

I completely agree about The Mandalorian's drama series nod. I was pleasantly shocked!

I have to admit that I gave up on Euphoria after watching two episodes. It was way too heavy for me, but I was blown away by just how good Zendaya's performance was. I had seen her on some of the "could surprise" lists. I'm so glad to see her nominated. 

I don't understand the Seth Meyers snub either. Truthfully,  I've never been a big fan of his, but he's been so on topic, and more importantly, consistently funny. And agreed, much more so than Colbert.

Succession is, by far, my favorite drama and I'm delighted with all its nominations. I'm most strongly rooting for Jeremy Strong but I think his being nominated alongside Brian Cox will open the door for a Jason Bateman win. Hope I'm wrong.  And I was very pleasantly surprised to see Nicholas Braun's Supporting Actor nomination. Both Kieran Culkin and Matthew McFadyen were appearing on the lists of frontrunners. Don't sleep on Cousin Greg!

• Love 5

I like going through the whole list, because the vast majority of the categories don't get attention and won't be broadcast. Things I noticed:

• Taika Watiti! Nominated for best voice over as IG-11. If he wins he'll be halfway to an EGOT.
  • Survivor has 33 people listed for best cinematography.
  • Doctor Who snuck in with Outstanding Derivative Interactive Program. There are exactly...2 nominees so a 50/50 chance.
  • Last Week Tonight got a nod for Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics with a song called "Eat Shit, Bob!".
  • We will never escape Tiger King. Nominated for Outstanding Documentary Or Nonfiction Series. Also Sound Mixing.
  • Really happy We're Here is in for Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

.Last Week Tonight got a nod for Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics with a song called "Eat Shit, Bob!".

This makes me ridiculously happy XD. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, blueray said:

Wait the emmy's are in September? Why do I feel like they are usually later in the year, unless I'm thinking of the golden globes. 

The Golden Globes are usually early to mid Jan. 

The Emmys are usually in September as sort of a kickoff to the new fall television season.

• Love 4

I’m really disappointed that Viola Davis wasn’t nominated.  She was amazing in the final season of “How to Get Away with Murder”, particularly in the first episode when she is at rehab.  I know she’s won before but so have a lot of others and they are always nominated as well.

Ive always thought it so great and refreshing how unafraid she is to be shown on camera with no makeup and no wig.   The transformation from plain Annalise to glamorous Annalise is always striking.

• Love 8

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/awards/emmys/2020-creative-arts-emmys-full-winners-list/%3famp=true

The four day list of winners so far.  I never realized there were so many categories for the short form web series.  Also Watchmen is cleaning up so far.

Prognosticators are predicting Schitts Creek and Succession for the top prizes.

And in some good news after a few days of terrible news, Trent Reznor is only one Tony short of an EGOT.  So whenever he decides to stage that NIN musical theatrical experience, I'll reserve my ticket.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

How is E! going to fill 2 hours of Red Carpet??? I predict decent ratings for the Emmy show to start, but big drop offs as the novelty and monotony wears thin.

I was thinking the same thing. I honestly forgot the show was tonight. I wonder what they are going to do? I usually love watching the red carpet and stuff. I guess I'll still watch the show and see how it goes.  

I have a feeling the awards show will be the same way. It’s a shame because the shows got their seasons in and deserve their moment. The Academy Awards, however....will have such a dearth of productions to choose from.

Of course, the celebrities might like to not do the dog and pony show and can kick back until their award is up. No awkward audience shots!

Edited by chitowngirl

The Guest Actor/Actress awards were given out at the Creative awards last night.  I am beyond disappointed that Cicely Tyson was once again passed up for "How To Get Away With Murder".  Five nominations in six years... zero wins and this was her last chance for a win in the role.  Meanwhile, Cherry Jones, who won last year for "Handmaid's Tale", wins again for "Succession".  Sigh.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The Guest Actor/Actress awards were given out at the Creative awards last night.  I am beyond disappointed that Cicely Tyson was once again passed up for "How To Get Away With Murder".  Five nominations in six years... zero wins and this was her last chance for a win in the role.  Meanwhile, Cherry Jones, who won last year for "Handmaid's Tale", wins again for "Succession".  Sigh.

Yeah that sucks. It's how I felt when Rami Malek lost the Golden Globe again this year for Mr. Robot, which was his last chance to win for it, as the show ended. I know he won an Emmy for it and he does have a little award called an Oscar but still, I thought his performance on the show was stellar and it just really bugs me that Christian Slater won two Golden Globes for the same show and Rami didn't. When really, Rami carried that show. 

Was very happy for Eddie Murphy though, winning Best Guest Actor and well-deserved. 

30 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

So far, “red carpet” is really underwhelming.  I left after about 15 minutes.  I don’t think I’ll watch the show - will just log on to see winners.

I didn't even bother watching that mess. Because I'm sorry, how do you have a red carpet when there's no one at the damn show and so no one on the red carpet. 

• Love 3

I'm ready to get the party started.   It's been a really hard week, and I've been looking forward to hanging in here with you guys.

1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Was very happy for Eddie Murphy though, winning Best Guest Actor and well-deserved. 

Me too. Better late than never. Even if it was near 40 years.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I'm ready to get the party started.   It's been a really hard week, and I've been looking forward to hanging in here with you guys.

Me too. Better late than never. Even if it was near 40 years.

Is this for the live show?

4 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

I honestly don't know if this whole Schitt's Creek bit is a gag or not.  I honestly wouldn't put it past the censors to demand that verification...

CBS did the same thing onThe Late Show, so it’s not just ABC. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I didn't even bother watching that mess. Because I'm sorry, how do you have a red carpet when there's no one at the damn show and so no one on the red carpet. 

It was really, really lame.  I cut and run pretty quickly — a waste of time IMO!